No heat, No Manipulation, It really works!!

MizaniMami

Hey ladies,
I did a mini no heat challenge for a month just because I was curious to what the results would be. So last night I relaxed. Eve though relaxing was tough with all the newgrowth, IT REALLY WORKS!:eek: I gained an whole inch in the back and an 1/2 inch in the front. I didn't post pics in my fotki yet (I'm still at school) but I will tonight in this thread.

For the last month, I washed deep conditioned twice a week and use Emergencee every 2 weeks. Moisturized daily, and just slicked my hair into a pony. No heat used except to DC and no combing except on wash days to detangle.

It really works, I can't wait to update with pics tonight (give me time lol). I was just so anxious to clue you ladies in.

All people who doubt should atleast TRY this. It really works, I am so estatic:grin:

I think I may move my BSL challenge up to the end of this summer!!!!

Did you keep your hair in a pony the whole time?? How did you keep you hair looking neat...fingercombing??

BTW Congrats on the growth...can't wait to see pics!!

I definitely think you can reach BSL this summer...I love your hair!

I only use heat about every 6 to eight when I get my relaxer and my stylist does it. But I dont usually wear my hair out. When I start wearing my hair out I suspect that I am going to be using heat because i like my hair to be straight and bouncy (when I wear it down) and I have not been able to achieve that look without heat.

That's great! I am happy for you. No/low heat and little manipulation alwasy does the trick for me as well. That's why I wear braids so much. I retain the most growth using the crown and glory method. I wear braids for like a month and a half then straighten to see the growth. This time no heat until June.. :smirk:I hope

I wish I could master the no manipulation part. I have hand-in-hair disease. The only time my hair gets a break from my constant fonding is when it's braided. :( Anyway, congrats! That's quite an accomplishment.

Glad you had success w/ that!

I can't wait until I can just slick my hair back in a nice ponytail w/o combing

Yes, it most certainly does work. Laying off the heat and keeping my hair up has made big difference for me, too. Congrats on your progress and I hope you continue to see good results.

Sistaslick said:
:clap: See! :clap:

This has done miracles for my hair too. MIRACLES. Minimalist is definitely the way to go. :lol:

Lol, I wanna give a shot out to my girl Sista! She is the woman!

Okay yall here are the pics I promised (sorry some of them so big, still haven't updated the fotki yet, yeah I'm lazy): You can measure by how far the hair is away from the bra-strap (same bra)

Today
DCFC0009.jpg
Last month
DCFC0129.jpg

Today
DCFC0010.jpg

Last Month
DCFC0134.jpg

I still have a lot more to work on as far as thickness but this is to show you that it can be done :p

I did a no heat challenge for naturals. My hair really does well without heat. :) I am glad you got good results too.

Yep. No heat seems to be the way for me to get the quickest results. I retain the most length when I don't use heat. Now why didn't I remind myself of that 4 months ago?? You live, you learn. I'm on no heat for at least two more months.

Congratulations, MizaniMami!!! Great progress! I may have to give this low/no heat thing a try!!! Most of the time I only use heat for DC and rollersetting.

Yay, glad it works for you hun, i remember you had a few worries before this, but as you have seen for youself, da truth is in tha pudding! U gonna switch to this method permanantly then?

Uggh - I believe this is a great way to growth, but I have too much damage in the front from tension of ponytails. And I have to comb daily. I get way too many tangles when I don't. Lord knows I tried! We'll see what I can do for the summer. Maybe I will find the right style technique to work the no-heat thing for the summer.

Congrats! I've been doing this too and I see the difference. I will be relaxing by around the 31st of May, but I have to use heat tomorrow. It will be the first time since March 26th. Since I am deep conditioning now, I am sure that the damage will be minimal to none- I am canning my blowdryer and I will only flat iron.

peacelove said:
Uggh - I believe this is a great way to growth, but I have too much damage in the front from tension of ponytails. And I have to comb daily. I get way too many tangles when I don't. Lord knows I tried! We'll see what I can do for the summer. Maybe I will find the right style technique to work the no-heat thing for the summer.
I'm sure there is a way for you not to comb daily without getting those tangles. It's probably a matter of altering your regimen a bit or changing your hair products. I had to learn this when I first came to LHCF.

Yea!! U go girl! Even less manipulation and less heat will help your hair thrive, ladies! Try it!

Candy_C said:
Yay, glad it works for you hun, i remember you had a few worries before this, but as you have seen for youself, da truth is in tha pudding! U gonna switch to this method permanantly then?

Welcome back Candy_C,

Girl Yes I am going to switch permantly. I decided to use heat only to check my progess which is about 1 to every 1 and a 1/2 mos.

Ps: Girl your hair is looking so strong, thick, and long. Excellent Job! Can't wait to be were you are at.

Isis said:
I'm sure there is a way for you not to comb daily without getting those tangles. It's probably a matter of altering your regimen a bit or changing your hair products. I had to learn this when I first came to LHCF.

Yeah - If I can find an updo that will not pull on the hair (but still stay in place) I can probably try to work the no comb thing with keracare products because they give so much slip. I will play around with it and see!

Hi ladies,

I've been on this forum for almost a year just reading and taking advice.. This is my first post ever. I started the no heat challenge feb.23,2006 and I just pressed my hair for my birthday April 30, my hair has never felt better. Its stronger and healthier. Before the challenge I was pressing my hair once a week and I suffered somuch damage. My hair was thinning at the ends and it would shed like crazy about two days after I pressed it. so now I just.

1.Shampoo (hairorbics therapeutic shampoo)then with doo gro moisturizing growth shampoo. 1x a week. In between the week I do conditioner shampoo. and deep condition 1x a week with doo gro deep penetrating conditoner or I use bed head Dumb Blonde reconstructor.
2. I detangle with Hairorbics detangler oil it has alot of essential oils. then I use mango butter on the roots and ends. sometimes I use aphogee tea tree protein spray. and I use ampro gel to lay down my edges.

so far this has been going well for me. thanks ladies

I was able to do my first official airdry rollerset this last friday. It came out great!!!

I didn't use any heat after the rollerset and my texlaxed roots were fairly straight. Anyway I'm trying to do minimal manipulation...but I'm the MN challenge and have to part my hair to apply to the scalp. I'm using the tail of my bone comb to part my hair (not the teeth). If I do need to comb my hair I use my Jilbere shower comb or my wide tooth bone comb. I've also tried experimenting with finger combing. I'm going to try to experiment with this a bit more. I'm also trying to not wear tight styles anymore (like a tight bun etc).

Anyway I think no heat/low heat is great too, it just takes a bit of patience and experimenting. I'm not on a total no heat challenge, just very minimal heat. I will only use my chi flat iron on my roots 2-3 times per month, when I see my BF. I don't think this will be detrimental if I'm careful.

RabiaElaine said:
I was able to do my first official airdry rollerset this last friday. It came out great!!!
I didn't use any heat after the rollerset and my texlaxed roots were fairly straight. Anyway I'm trying to do minimal manipulation...but I'm the MN challenge and have to part my hair to apply to the scalp. I'm using the tail of my bone comb to part my hair (not the teeth). If I do need to comb my hair I use my Jilbere shower comb or my wide tooth bone comb. I've also tried experimenting with finger combing. I'm going to try to experiment with this a bit more. I'm also trying to not wear tight styles anymore (like a tight bun etc).

Anyway I think no heat/low heat is great too, it just takes a bit of patience and experimenting. I'm not on a total no heat challenge, just very minimal heat. I will only use my chi flat iron on my roots 2-3 times per month, when I see my BF. I don't think this will be detrimental if I'm careful.
Congratulations! It really does work, just takes a little longer.:)

Back