Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Dijah

Naphy said:
I think it is time for a touch up..... 12 weeks were my maximum I suppose.
Ermegencee does not exist in France, so I have no idea of which heavy protein treatment I'm going to use...

I used to relax every 6-8 weeks. Then I worked my way to 10 weeks, last time was 12 weeks. I am trying for 15 this time. Take your time, figure out what is best for your hair and everything will work out.

Much2much41

The longest I've been able to go is 10 weeks. I went to the Dominicans first, then the Egyptians (the Dominicans got it straighter, the Egyptians styled it better. Decisions, decisions! :ohwell: ). I'm trying to stretch it at least that long this go-around, but I'm getting the relaxer urge. Right now :lol:

keeperathome

Well I am checking in at 15 weeks post. I feel like its been forever. I am trying for a 6 month stretch although I am not sure if I will last. I have like a ton of NG and I am getting very limited on my styles. I have not had much breakage or shedding.:woot: Although, I have found that the No combing practice works best for me. I only comb on wash days. I am trying to hold on a few more weeks the thing that I think is helping the most is that I am too tired to do a relaxer with a baby coming next month and a 3 year old my energy level is pretty slim. I will keep ya'll posted on what I do. I look forward to seeing all growth.:clap:

nycutiepie

sareca said:
It's been really easy. I haven't seen my hair in 4 months. :wink2:

Sareca - I'm 17 weeks post and I'm thinking about getting a weave next week at 18 weeks post and riding that out for 5 weeks till week 23 and then take it out, wait a week and touch-up at week 24. I notice that you stretch long with braids/twists and keep redoing them. I've never had my hair braided/cornrowed for the weave with so much new growth. Is there anything special you think I should do beforehand? I'm keeping the shedding in check by prepoo'ing, weekly protein and I just started a midweek CW (thanks MizAvalon :up: ) to help with the moisture but what do you do right before you put your twist in considering all the new growth? I don't want my hair ripped out during the cornrow process because of all the ng. Thanks for your help!

Blessedhairgro

For the first time I'm trying to stretch to 16 - 20 weeks. I usually go to 12 on a regular basis but I'm at 12 weeks now and going for the gold:lol:! The products I'm using to stretch are below and they have been a tremendous help in keeping my roots detangled and keeping my hair soft:

Shampoo:
ORS olive & aloe poo - great detangler and clarifier
CON poo (Green) - best detangling shampoo ever
Conditioners:
silicon mix deep conditioner - works wonders at moisturizing
nexxus humectress conditioner - best detangler
silk elements mega moist treatment - great detangler and leaves hair very moisturized
Jason's sea kelp conditioner - great detangler and moisturizer

Leave In's I can't live without for stretching:
nexxus headress leave in
giovanni direct leave
Salerm 21 leave in
Serums:
Tigi bedhead control freak straightening serum
Fantasia IC polisher straightening serum

My rototation of all of these products will hopefully get me to that 20 week or maybe even 24 week stretch:D

Artemis

I'm at 8 wks too. I normally relax right about now, but I want to wait till I get to 12. I'm struggling. What's helping me is dc-ing 2x/week and rollersetting/flat ironing. This last week, though, I got lazy and did Sylver's scarf method and just bunned after a rollerset. Whew!! If I can make it to week 10, I'll be so proud of myself, so 12 wks will be a bonus.

Great thread :D

ETA: I'm also moisturizing like crazy (and trying to use up all my products at the same time).

Last edited:

carmella25

keeperathome said:
Hi Ladies, I am kinda new here and I am on week 14 of a 6 month stretch and its going ok so far.:ohwell: But what I would like to know is what are some of the conditioners you all are using to detangle:perplexed I have like about an inch of NG or more and its really becoming a task to comb through the middle:eek: .Any pointers you could give would be great. Thanks.

I stretch every 6 months or even longer sometimes. I usually use infusium 23 conditoner, smooth and sleek or jasons rosemary conditoner. These products work well. If you really want some good detangling you could add some glycerine to you conditoner. I also heard that sodium lactate works well. I also like to put honey and olive oil in my conditoner as well.

Soul♥Flower

I'm 14 wks post and my hair is thiiiiiick. I couldn't even take a pic because I couldn't get all my hair in the camera:woot:. I had to get someone else to take it:cool:.

I'm shooting for 6 months. I'm getting my first weave installed next week. Hopefully, I can keep it in till the rest of the stretch.

sexyaqr

I am so loving this thread. I am only 9 weeks post and I am going to relax tomorrow. The only reason is that the last relaxer was not done really well so it looks like longer. Maybe I will change my mind and hang in there for 3-4 more weeks

tnorenberg

Well, I just ended my 4 month stretch. :( I guess that is my magic number. I'll be relaxing 3x a year. Not too bad. It feels good to have swinging hair again instead of having it stuck to my head. APL here I come.

CHECKMATE!

Im 11wks post...stretching to 12wks...its ruff, but Im hanging in there;)...im about to do an ACV rinse 2nite to clear some of the build up from my daily co washes...yesterday,as a pre-poo, i used Sebastian Penetraitt as a protein to strength my demarcation line...some shedding when I cowash,but no breakage:D ...i hope to be few inches from APL after i relax:)

amwcah

keeperathome said:
Well I am checking in at 15 weeks post. I feel like its been forever. I am trying for a 6 month stretch although I am not sure if I will last. I have like a ton of NG and I am getting very limited on my styles. I have not had much breakage or shedding.:woot: Although, I have found that the No combing practice works best for me. I only comb on wash days. I am trying to hold on a few more weeks the thing that I think is helping the most is that I am too tired to do a relaxer with a baby coming next month and a 3 year old my energy level is pretty slim. I will keep ya'll posted on what I do. I look forward to seeing all growth.:clap:

I'm pursuing a 6 month stretch also, but I have been having breakage and shedding the last couple of weeks. I tried MOTIONS CPR last night and last week. I will see how it goes this week. Today, I am wigging it.

QUESTION
Any suggestions for the shedding and breakage or should I just slap a relaxer on it. Also, I am bagging.

nycutiepie

amwcah said:
I'm pursuing a 6 month stretch also, but I have been having breakage and shedding the last couple of weeks. I tried MOTIONS CPR last night and last week. I will see how it goes this week. Today, I am wigging it.

QUESTION
Any suggestions for the shedding and breakage or should I just slap a relaxer on it. Also, I am bagging.

Shikakai powder mixed with Elucence MBC and some oils stopped the shedding dead in its tracks for me.

amwcah

nycutiepie said:
Shikakai powder mixed with Elucence MBC and some oils stopped the shedding dead in its tracks for me.

NYcutiepie~Thank you for responding. Have you used this during stretching? My concern is whether the shikakai powder will make my hair hard like Alma or Henna powders.

nycutiepie

amwcah said:
NYcutiepie~Thank you for responding. Have you used this during stretching? My concern is whether the shikakai powder will make my hair hard like Alma or Henna powders.

Yes, I used it around 14 weeks but I used it as a prepoo so I still used a moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

janeemat

Dang! How did I miss this thread. Lawd knows I need support here. I'm on my second stretch for 12 wks or more. I want the more 14 to 16 wks. May 16th is 12 wks, so I'm just 8 wks post now. This is the hump time. I'm going back and reading all of this!:grin:

amwcah

janeemat said:
Dang! How did I miss this thread. Lawd knows I need support here. I'm on my second stretch for 12 wks or more. I want the more 14 to 16 wks. May 16th is 12 wks, so I'm just 8 wks post now. This is the hump time. I'm going back and reading all of this!:grin:

Janeemat~Welcome aboard!:D

amwcah

nycutiepie said:
Yes, I used it around 14 weeks but I used it as a prepoo so I still used a moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

NYcutiepie~Does shikakai have a hardening effect?

nycutiepie

amwcah said:
NYcutiepie~Does shikakai have a hardening effect?

It didn't really make my hair "hard" per se.....it was more of like a "heavy" feeling. My hair felt heavier after I used it. I have thin/fine hair but it felt very heavy afterwards. I think my hair felt harder with henna. Other people say it can be grainy too so you have to wash it out good. I didn't really have that problem because I made sure to mix it up very good beforehand.

Brandi

Hello Ladies,

It's been a while since I've been on the board. I just completed my second stretch at 12 weeks and I realize that's my absolute maximum. I did fine until week 9 or so then it became a little harder to maintain a style without the frizz.

Just got my hair relaxed last week (Mizani) and I have to admit, my hair was healthier and grew two inches. This is my first time using Mizani, hair dresser ran out of my usual Paul Mitchell, but I like the results so far.

Much support to those of you who have been able to master this technique for four months or longer I envy you. For now, I believe I'll relax between 9-12 weeks, it's just easier for me.

amwcah

Is anyone else having problems with hair dreading from not combing? I comb very little on wash days but thats it.

nycutiepie

amwcah said:
Is anyone else having problems with hair dreading from not combing? I comb very little on wash days but thats it.

Try detangling some BEFORE you wash. Someone else suggested it and I tried it and it works better for me. Also, don't just rely on a shower comb like the Jilbere......I use a bone comb to detangle beforehand and then run the Jilbere in the shower after my DC and then after the leave-ins I use the bone comb again. Trust me, I have coarse 4b hair in the back and I haven't had 1 dread. You have to make sure you comb thru the hair to make sure it doesn't loc up. You can't comb "very little" if your hair is tightly wound because it will loc. I also wash in 4 braids. HTH.

PinkPebbles

I want to add that I used porosity control correcetive conditioner and it detangled like a charm and allowed my moisturizing conditioner to penetrate.

I'm 8 wks post and will add porosity control and Joicio-K-Pak Intense hydrate to my regimen as I continue to stretch.

joemerald

I could kick myself

Hi ladies I know I should not have done it but I did it anyway. I stretched. I noticed my new growth was tremendous at six weeks post relaxer but I said not I wanna stretch until May since I am taking a trip I wanted it to be nice, so I will have some nice thick braid outs. I am now eight weeks and i I washed last night and lost so much hair and it is so thin now. Last time I wanted to stretch but realized that at 8 weeks I had to relax but this time I was bunning only and moisturing and all that in the stretchers thread. And I lost so much hair.

My only redeeming thought is that I want to be full APL by Christmas when I go home and that with my vits etc I am having mega growth so it will repair soon enough. Anyhoo I am relaxing tomorrow nite. Hell or high waters. I was almost APL too, just barely.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Last night I did a henna application and a reverse roller set. My new growth is softer and not that coily as before I started my hair last night. I was pleasantly surprised. I tried stretching to 10 weeks before, but I had breakage and shedding.

I've been following this thread for a while, and the tips paid off big. My hair is eight weeks post today , and normally I would want to relax my hair tonight. I have about the usual amount of new growth (1"+).

I think the henna helped some, but the reverse roller set did the trick. I'm now optimistic about stretching to 10 weeks...maybe 12. :)

Last edited:

nycutiepie

Well, I was feeling guilty about relaxing because I wanted to try to go to 24 weeks like I see some people on here do, but to hell with it because I made it to 18 weeks and 12 was my previous max. The weather is finally nice here and I'm sick of the bun, the half-wig, the time it takes to wash/detangle and sick of looking at everyone's hair swingin' in the wind while mine is packed like a can of sardines in 4B new growth. I have a box of Phyto II that's been calling my name for weeks and I'm getting ready to use it this weekend. Thanks to everyone that pm'd me tips and good luck to everyone else that's stretching.

SweetCaramel1

i wouldn't feel bad. you still had a good stretch, just try it longer next time. i know how you feel. i've had this bun for the last 5 months and it's getting old. i want to wear my hair down without the hassle of flat ironing it for 2 hours first :ohwell:

seraphinelle

i can't believe i'm at where i am now....
i haven't relaxed because 1) i'm lazy
2) i'm scared..

so i guess i'm stretching/transitioning

PaperDoll

~the original~
i've been on a 16 week stretch
it's been HARD
& so has my hair
i can't seem to keep my hair properly moisturized...no matter what i do or what i use it's been super dry and crunchy lately:(

but monday is creamy crack day for me, trust me i am doing the count down
i think from here on out i'm only doing 10 - 12 week stretches

good luck to you ladies that are still stretching:grin: