September 2017: Hits & Misses

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
HUGE Hit:
Soultanicals Knot Proof Hair Glide. Thank you, thank you, thank you @YvetteWithJoy !!!
  • I finger detangled in 1 hr 45 minutes. My regular time is 3 to 4 hours. I was a little wary at first because it looks like conditioner but t isn't nearly as watery as conditioner so my hair didn't shrink back up while I detangled. I absolutely loved this stuff and will definitely keep purchasing.

Other Hits:
Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Detangling Ghee
  • I tried using this to detangle and it did a good job but it wasn't nearly as good as the Hair Glide. I really like this for twisting. It leaves my hair soft and smelling like chocolate.
Qhemet Biologics Aethiopika Butter
  • It does its job. I use it on my ends to seal.
Lullaby Silken oversized silk bonnet.
  • I got this in teal and black while waiting for the bonnet from isoken enofe to come and I'm really glad I did. It doesn't have enough space for my hair to be loose, but it's soft and pretty and has silk all the way around the edges.
Miss:
Oversized satin bonnet from isoken enofe
  • It isn't lined around the edges so you'll have to wear a scarf with this or suffer the consequences later. They're also having a lot of issues with shipping times.
Not sure:
The jury is still out about Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (it didn't feel particularly moisturizing but I'll give it another go), and Qhemet Biologics Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee I think I used too much when I tried it on its own. I put some in a spray bottle with water and I loved it that way.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
HUGE Hit:
Soultanicals Knot Proof Hair Glide. Thank you, thank you, thank you @YvetteWithJoy !!!
  • I finger detangled in 1 hr 45 minutes. My regular time is 3 to 4 hours. I was a little wary at first because it looks like conditioner but t isn't nearly as watery as conditioner so my hair didn't shrink back up while I detangled. I absolutely loved this stuff and will definitely keep purchasing.

Other Hits:
  • I tried using this to detangle and it did a good job but it wasn't nearly as good as the Hair Glide. I really like this for twisting. It leaves my hair soft and smelling like chocolate.
  • I got this in teal and black while waiting for the bonnet from isoken enofe to come and I'm really glad I did. It doesn't have enough space for my hair to be loose, but it's soft and pretty and has silk all the way around the edges.
Miss:
  • It isn't lined around the edges so you'll have to wear a scarf with this or suffer the consequences later. They're also having a lot of issues with shipping times.
Not sure:
The jury is still out about Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (it didn't feel particularly moisturizing but I'll give it another go), and Qhemet Biologics Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee I think I used too much when I tried it on its own. I put some in a spray bottle with water and I loved it that way.

Yes! I'm so glad that Soultanicals Hair Glide worked out for you. :clap: Yay!

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Hit: NG Asian pear and coconut something dc. Slippy and smells great. Didn't have to use a rinse out to detangle.

Hit & miss: skipping all Labor Day sales. Had 3 carts made, passed on all 3. Now I really want some stuff.:cry3: I had to remember my financial goals that I'm trying to accomplish before BF. I definitely could've worked all 3 purchases into my budget but I'm really trying to stick to this personal challenge.

On the brighter side of things, this just increases my purchasing power for BF. :drunk:

ms.blue

Miss turned Hit: Kinky Curly Knot Today.
This stuff works! My hair was feeling extra dry especially being out in the sun for days. I applied this to my super dry hair then braided my hair. The next day I took my hair down to redo the braids and my hair was still moisturized. I remembered years ago that my hair hated this product (so much that I threw the bottle out) but I'm glad that I decided to try this product again.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hits: Giovanni Ultra Moist shampoo is still bae
Aphogee 2 minute as a prepoo or rinse out
Coconut oil (multipurpose)
Grapeseed oil to seal ends

Miss: Via semipermanent color. It was too runny, kinda drying and the color didn't pop like it does when I use Manic Panic.
I tried a twist out on blown out hair and it was a fail. Wet hair would've had more definition.

Smiley79

HUGE Hit:

Other Hits:
Miss:
Not sure:

I wasn't crazy about the Soultanical Knot sauce, so i look forward to trying the Hair Glide and see if I get better results. I'll wait for Black Friday.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
New hit:
Mango butter. Man, did I sleep on this. Many butters I've tried kinda sit on my hair, when applied to wet hair it feels good but dries crunchy. Not this. It dries leaving my hair soft and smooth no crunchies. Plus, it acts a great defrizzer/edge tamer. I haven't had to make any flax gel which I use primarily for edges. This is a :up: I gotta shout out @lulu97 for this thanks lady :rose:

Initial hits:

Ayuvedic powders: Used Shikaki and bhrami to wash last week and it was nice. the rubbing into my scalp was a great exfoliator and hair was noticeably darker and curl pattern was more defined. However I will admit my scalp that is very sensitive detected some residue from my oil pre -poo left. But I did do a very heavy oiling and these are natural and gentle surfactants so I will give it another whirl.

I also bought aritha so i may combine this to the mix next wash or try adding a squirt of blacksoap poo.

Aggie

New hit:
Mango butter. Man, did I sleep on this. Many butters I've tried kinda sit on my hair, when applied to wet hair it feels good but dries crunchy. Not this. It dries leaving my hair soft and smooth no crunchies. Plus, it acts a great defrizzer/edge tamer. I haven't had to make any flax gel which I use primarily for edges. This is a :up: I gotta shout out @lulu97 for this thanks lady :rose:

Initial hits:

Ayuvedic powders: Used Shikaki and bhrami to wash last week and it was nice. the rubbing into my scalp was a great exfoliator and hair was noticeably darker and curl pattern was more defined. However I will admit my scalp that is very sensitive detected some residue from my oil pre -poo left. But I did do a very heavy oiling and these are natural and gentle surfactants so I will give it another whirl.

I also bought aritha so i may combine this to the mix next wash or try adding a squirt of blacksoap poo.
@halee_J

What Mango Butter brand are you using please? I don't know if they are all created equal so I will want to try the one you have if I try it. Thanks.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Cassia is so wonderful. Makes the hair feel slick and glossy. The effects are cumulative excited to hear how it works for you after a few more uses :yep:

Is it safe for a person to use if that person has been using henna?

Does it color the hair black?

What are no-no's with cassia?

TIA!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy

TIA!

TIA!

Cassia to me is like the conditioning equivalent to henna. Its great in that it adds virtually no color hence its called "neutral henna" If you were platinum blonde, it may add tinge of yellow.

There is no conflict with henna use, in fact I have mixed both together.

Like I said its the conditioning cousin to henna its molecules bind to the hairshaft and smooth the cuticle and add shine and softness. As a hipo it has really helped with moisture retention without using protein.

Most people like to mix a bit into their DC every wash, but you can do a stand alone treatment. Its very easy to rinse out esp if you mix it with a condtioner.

The drawback is that unlike henna the effects of cassia are much more gradual so youll have to use more before you see a major difference and saldy the effects are not permanent.

This is why I think cassia use never really took off the way henna did during the whole ayurvedic craze a few years ago

Aggie

Cassia to me is like the conditioning equivalent to henna. Its great in that it adds virtually no color hence its called "neutral henna" If you were platinum blonde, it may add tinge of yellow.

There is no conflict with henna use, in fact I have mixed both together.

Like I said its the conditioning cousin to henna its molecules bind to the hairshaft and smooth the cuticle and add shine and softness. As a hipo it has really helped with moisture retention without using protein.

Most people like to mix a bit into their DC every wash, but you can do a stand alone treatment. Its very easy to rinse out esp if you mix it with a condtioner.

The drawback is that unlike henna the effects of cassia are much more gradual so youll have to use more before you see a major difference and saldy the effects are not permanent.

This is why I think cassia use never really took off the way henna did during the whole ayurvedic craze a few years ago

The bolded just might keep me from getting it. I like long term results. Nevertheless, we shall see :look:.