“setting To Success” 2016

LdyKamz

Have you considered doing Bantu knots to stretch the sides and nap of your hair? That may give a similar curl to the magnetics so your hair blends more easily.
You're right because over the weekend I gave up on the magnetics (was getting tired) and just did medium-large sized bantu knots all over my head instead of small-medium size like I normally do. And I got a stretched curl like I imagine the magnetic set would have turned out. Not as tight as my usual and I twisted the sides. Since my sides are short no matter what I do they turn out to be tightly curled which is OK with me.

faithVA

So looking forward to cooler weather and roller setting season. This summer heat wave sucks!!! It's so freaking hot out!!! I have been having to get up at 5 am to run so I can beat the heat.

I feel you. I'm leaving out early tomorrow so I can be cycling by 7 am. I need to get up during the week at 5 so I can cycle before work but haven't made that commitment yet.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I feel you. I'm leaving out early tomorrow so I can be cycling by 7 am. I need to get up during the week at 5 so I can cycle before work but haven't made that commitment yet.

That's awesome! I love how the bulk of us are in to our health and fitness as well as hair.

I would love to get in to cycling. I bet you have some nice and toned thighs!

faithVA

That's awesome! I love how the bulk of us are in to our health and fitness as well as hair.

I would love to get in to cycling. I bet you have some nice and toned thighs!
My thighs not so much :nono: But my calves look good :yep: I need to cycle more often and do more hill work to have nice thighs. But it is helping with my flexibility which I'm sort of amazed at.

What's keeping you from getting into cycling? See if you have a Black Girls Do Bike Chapter in your area. They can help you get started.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My thighs not so much :nono: But my calves look good :yep: I need to cycle more often and do more hill work to have nice thighs. But it is helping with my flexibility which I'm sort of amazed at.

What's keeping you from getting into cycling? See if you have a Black Girls Do Bike Chapter in your area. They can help you get started.

What was keeping me from getting into cycling? The normal. Excuses. But, but, butttt my city is not biker friendly. No biker lanes. What if I get hit? It's too freakin hot out!!!

I've been saying I'm going to start cycling for like 3 years now...even before I moved to a different city and my old city had biker lanes throughout.

I've made a lot of health and fitness strides in 2016 and cut out many excuses. I'm ready now.

faithVA

What was keeping me from getting into cycling? The normal. Excuses. But, but, butttt my city is not biker friendly. No biker lanes. What if I get hit? It's too freakin hot out!!!

I've been saying I'm going to start cycling for like 3 years now...even before I moved to a different city and my old city had biker lanes throughout.

I've made a lot of health and fitness strides in 2016 and cut out many excuses. I'm ready now.
My city isn't really cycling friendly either. But all over the country there is a big push for bike friendly streets. Finding a group helps because they already know where it's safer to ride and they have routes already mapped out.

You will do it when you are ready. I've been putting off private swim lessons forever. But I think this year is the year.

AgeinATL

Ladies,

Do you guys, especially type 4s, find that you have less SSKs and better retention when rollersetting weekly?

Whenever I rollerset, my ends end up smooth and I hardly see any SSKs. Thinking of rollersetting weekly but I wonder if that is too much manipulation for coily hair?

PlainJane

What are you ladies doing when you work out?? I would love to work out 3-4 times a week but my hair just isn't having it.

Also @lulu97 was it you that had good results with Shea moisture black rinse? I went looking for it today and only saw the permanent option. Was yours permanent?

PlainJane

Ladies,

Do you guys, especially type 4s, find that you have less SSKs and better retention when rollersetting weekly?

Whenever I rollerset, my ends end up smooth and I hardly see any SSKs. Thinking of rollersetting weekly but I wonder if that is too much manipulation for coily hair?

I wish! I roller set weekly and my SSKs are still at an all time high. It may be my technique though. I did my last set with just my hands and it turned out great so I'll probably do that from now on.

faithVA

What are you ladies doing when you work out?? I would love to work out 3-4 times a week but my hair just isn't having it.

Also @lulu97 was it you that had good results with Shea moisture black rinse? I went looking for it today and only saw the permanent option. Was yours permanent?
I know you were asking lulu97 but as far as I know all Shea Moisture color is permanent.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

@PlainJane I put my hair in a bun when I work out. During the week, I do Pilates and yoga on rest days so I don't sweat for those workouts. I run on the weekends and sweat like a pig then but usually wash day is around the corner after my weekend runs.

I use Shea Moisture jet black hair color and I love it. However like Faith mentioned it is permanent.

@AgeinATL I get a few ssk's here and there but nothing major. I get way more when my hair is in a style that has bends and curves such as when I'm wearing my natural curls, braid/twist outs, flexi/perm rods etc. Roller setting won't make them all go away but it cuts down how many I get by 99%.

toaster

@PlainJane when I'm setting I put my hair in a bun with a wide headband while I'm working out. I don't take the headband off until my sweat dries. Which is kind of gross... But it works.

@AgeinATL setting definitely helps with my single strand knots, but I get them regardless. Right now I'm daily cowashing and wet bunning and I definitely have more knots. Regarding retention, I would say it's probably about the same no matter what I do to my hair as long as my hair is moisturized and I don't use direct heat.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Guide to the Super Simple Summer Set

1. Wash & condition as normal. Squeeze excess water out with Towel or t-shirt.

2. Divide hair in 6 sections and Bantu knot each section. Sit under dryer for 15 minutes so the roots and outside of knots can dry.

image.jpeg

3. Apply favorite leave in of choice...just be sure it's light. I used It's a 10 and a spritz of Shea Moisture dry oil on each section. Braid roots down and add 2 flexi rods to each section.

image.jpeg
4. Go back under dryer for 15 minutes. Even if it's not 100% dry it's ok...as long as the hair has taken the smooth shape of the flexi rod is fine.

5. Moisturize (I used Camille Rose Milk), stretch each section out and wrap around your head using Bobby pins to hold hair in place. (You can leave the roots braided down)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6. Cover with your favorite silk/satin dome cap overnight

image.jpeg
7. Remove Bobby pins/braids at the roots and style.

The style is good for the summer because it takes less time under the heat box dryer (30 minutes total), less time spent setting, no need to worry about reverting your roots while working out/sweating since they were never straight to begin with. And let's face it...most of us wear our hair up in the summer anyway so this makes for a nice stretched way to bun/French braid without all the fuss. You still get the benefits of setting (less ssk's, less tangles) and this routine can be done twice a week if you have a hard core work out routine. I would just eliminate the dryer period and air dry everything if this is to be done twice a week. Sometimes after running, I will do this routine. If I've already shampoo'd that week; I would just DC on dry hair...rinse the DC out, rinse my scalp with just plain water...then proceed with the routine without the use of the hooded dryer.

faithVA

Interesting. I guess I can try this next week. I assume switching from bantu knots to flexis is to smooth the hair out. Do you start with bantus just to get the roots dry? Do they not dry with the flexis?

I think my hair poofs before my roots revert but I'm not for sure.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Interesting. I guess I can try this next week. I assume switching from bantu knots to flexis is to smooth the hair out. Do you start with bantus just to get the roots dry? Do they not dry with the flexis?

I think my hair poofs before my roots revert but I'm not for sure.

My normal routine includes putting my hair in 6 Bantu knots to deep condition. I rinse the deep conditioner from each section and knot it back up. One day, to speed up air drying; I decided to sit under the dryer to dry my roots as they take the longest to dry. So initially it started off as a way to dry my roots with the intent to air dry in 2 braids. But I soon came to realize that because my hair had no product, it was almost all the way dry after the 15 minutes (with the exception of the inside of the knot).

Yes transitioning from the Bantu knot to the flexi is to get it smooth and also to get the hair inside the Bantu knot some air to finish the drying process.

I'm sure that we could probably wind up with similar results just doing a regular flexi rod or a Bantu knot set (with longer drying time). The way I posted works better for me since my hair is already prepped in Bantu knots from my deep conditioning routine.

Let me know if you try it or something similar so we can compare and take notes. I'm always open to learning new techniques to streamline this process.

faithVA

My normal routine includes putting my hair in 6 Bantu knots to deep condition. I rinse the deep conditioner from each section and knot it back up. One day, to speed up air drying; I decided to sit under the dryer to dry my roots as they take the longest to dry. So initially it started off as a way to dry my roots with the intent to air dry in 2 braids. But I soon came to realize that because my hair had no product, it was almost all the way dry after the 15 minutes (with the exception of the inside of the knot).

Yes transitioning from the Bantu knot to the flexi is to get it smooth and also to get the hair inside the Bantu knot some air to finish the drying process.

I'm sure that we could probably wind up with similar results just doing a regular flexi rod or a Bantu knot set (with longer drying time). The way I posted works better for me since my hair is already prepped in Bantu knots from my deep conditioning routine.

Let me know if you try it or something similar so we can compare and take notes. I'm always open to learning new techniques to streamline this process.
OK. I have to think about this since my hair is so much shorter than yours. Bantu knots might not be the right thing for me to start with but I need to think of what is.

But I guess in the long run you are just trying to stretch you hair to put it up. hmm. I will have to sleep on this