Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Evolving78

Question for the ladies living in humid places? What are we doing for the summer? And how come some women can keep their presses all summer!?
I'm going to use heat and do wet sets. I can't do the wash and go's. They are messing with my ends. I may do some Twistouts too. It's been very humid and raining all week. My flat ironed hair held up nicely.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Question for the ladies living in humid places? What are we doing for the summer? And how come some women can keep their presses all summer!?
I don't do anything special to keep my hair from frizzing in the Summer. I think consistent presses make my hair last longer. My hair lasts a week when I do it, but it gradually gets thicker. When I go to the salon I don't get reversion until I wash it

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
How long does that system last? The Beautiful Textures last 4-6 weeks. I'm going to try roller setting my hair to stretch it, then use heat the following week after. I may use heat on my roots, but I'm going for a tight curl.
ORS is the same. 4-6 weeks.

I was also debating using curl formers with setting lotion and sit under the dryer. That gets it pretty straight but the amount of time that takes. Generally my life is busy so i need it done from wash to dry and styled within 3 hours . Ugh.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I use Mixed Chicks straightening serum. That kills all reversion for me all week

I also found using the ORS repair serum on top of that to give silky long lasting results. Unfortunately im allergic to it. :(

Evolving78

ORS is the same. 4-6 weeks.

I was also debating using curl formers with setting lotion and sit under the dryer. That gets it pretty straight but the amount of time that takes. Generally my life is busy so i need it done from wash to dry and styled within 3 hours . Ugh.
I totally understand about the time factor! Since you just used the system two weeks ago, I wouldn't apply it again right now.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I totally understand about the time factor! Since you just used the system two weeks ago, I wouldn't apply it again right now.
Ohh thanks but i didnt straighten the last two weeks. Just taking a weekly heat break. The last time i applied the product was end of april. Shes about due. But now im torn between a treatment or henna. Decisions decisions.

Evolving78

Ohh thanks but i didnt straighten the last two weeks. Just taking a weekly heat break. The last time i applied the product was end of april. Shes about due. But now im torn between a treatment or henna. Decisions decisions.
Oh ok yeah I was referring to the application of the treatment. So, you are definitely on track!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@DarkJoy
Seriously, don't wanna hijack this thread, but I miss you in the Coffee/Tea Thread.

Hafta' come over here to catch up with you.

Are you still Tea Rinsing? If so, stop over and give us a shout out.

Evolving78

I don't do anything special to keep my hair from frizzing in the Summer. I think consistent presses make my hair last longer. My hair lasts a week when I do it, but it gradually gets thicker. When I go to the salon I don't get reversion until I wash it
Is your hair heat trained?

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I use Mixed Chicks straightening serum. That kills all reversion for me all week

I also found using the ORS repair serum on top of that to give silky long lasting results. Unfortunately im allergic to it. :(
I will try the Mixed Chicks soon. I have to buy a blow dryer soon too.

Adiatasha

I took a two week break from straightening and got behind on the ORS straightening system.

Well boo.

No retention and ssk and sudden breakage. l will have to trim. Now i know 100. Cant let it be shrunk for any length of time.

I will do the ORS system on Sunday then trim after straightening.

Well... Looks like I have to blow dry when I wash.. These SSK's are causing my ends to snap off. I think it's because I did a wash and go only TWICE. :eek:

Evolving78

My hair is fine
I guess I'll head over to the setting for success thread... See how I do during these summer months
Yeah, I'm trying out roller setting my hair too. I haven't finished yet. I had to get off of my feet for a spell. I'm glad I straightened my hair to give myself a much needed trim. I was doing nothing but wash and gos, and being lazy.

Anaisin

I blow dried and curled my hair yesterday. No flat iron at all so I'm a bit happy about that. Still want to cut down on heat though. Will roll on perm rods nightly and moisturize my ends nightly.

Does anyone blow dry on cool?

I just blow dried on cool air & high speed when I did my hair this weekend. Blow dried it straight with a paddle brush

Daina

Hey Ladies, what do you all use to keep your hair moisturized when it's straight? I use heat sparingly but just got my hair done for my June trim and length check but realized I don't have any moisturizers that won't cause reversion. I've used jojoba and argan oil at night but by mid-day my hair looks dry but doesn't feel dry. Just want to know for the next time I straighten what I can use?

Thanks!

Anaisin

Hmm I might want to try this. Does it take long because the air is cool?

No it took the same amount of time as usual.

I put on my turbie twist for a few minutes before.

My hair still had the soft deep conditioned feel when I find finished opposed to sometimes with hot air it has the rough drying feel.

Also I used the highest speed. Think of those power dryers in bathrooms lol the air is cool but it blows so fast your hair dries just as quick as the old bathroom hand dryers that blew hot air to dry your hands

dannie85

Hey Ladies, what do you all use to keep your hair moisturized when it's straight? I use heat sparingly but just got my hair done for my June trim and length check but realized I don't have any moisturizers that won't cause reversion. I've used jojoba and argan oil at night but by mid-day my hair looks dry but doesn't feel dry. Just want to know for the next time I straighten what I can use?

Thanks!

While I do use Argan oil (love it whether curly or straight!) I don't use on the length of my hair past day one of straightening as my hair actually gets kinda oily after a few days, so I use sparingly (just on top for flyaways). But as far as dryness, I notice when my hair is healthy and has been deep conditioned either a few hours or overnight BEFORE washing, it always feels soft and moisturized even after I straighten. Do you wrap hair or cover with satin scarf or bonnet before bed? Could also help with keeping moisture in if not already doing that.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My roots are super crinkly and reverted, but my ends are still straightish. I'm going to cowash tomorrow and flat iron again. I'll use 350 degrees this time. Last time I used 300 and my hair pretty much reverted overnight.

Evolving78

Thanks!
NT triple silk leave in sparingly.

LdyKamz

My hair is frustrating me! I'm working out a lot and it seems that I will have to wash and blow my hair weekly during the summer!
This was the problem I recently started having. One of the reasons why I decided to only straighten when I trim every few months. That is just one reason. Other main reason is my hair needs a break.

sharifeh

This was the problem I recently started having. One of the reasons why I decided to only straighten when I trim every few months. That is just one reason. Other main reason is my hair needs a break.

I feel you! Even I'm strongly considering a protective style for the rest of summer... Maybe crochet ...