Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Anaisin

Plan on washing my hair today after 3 weeks of flat ironed hair using heat twice in that period. Time to see the damage done lol I don't care because I wear buns 24/7 anyway

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Redid my hair today! Shampooed and conditioned with Joico again and I left the treatment masque on for ~15 minutes. I really like the weight it gives and I feel like I can get my hair much straighter when I use it. Basically I used all the products I did last week lol. My hair feels great!! I spritzed my hair with creme of nature anti humidity spray (really like this stuff, I used it last week, too) and my hair is soft and flowy :kiss3:

First pic is from this past week, the rest are from today!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 148

GettingKinky

The only way that I can workout and wear my hair straight is in a ponytail. My roots are so puffy but the rest of my hair is super sleek. It just looks crazy if I try to wear it out. :cry3:

MsSanz92

I'm thinking about using heat monthly. I will probably go to the aforementioned Dominican stylist once a month to get my hair straightened, because I'm noticing I'm having setbacks and not retaining as much length because I have a bunch of SSKs. It looks like at this point, I will have to cut off another inch or so of hair to get rid of them (this might also be scab hair too). Hopefully straightening my hair once a month will help me keep them under control, as well as keep a balance in my low porosity hair. On the other weeks, I will wash and deep condition my hair at home and wear wigs, or alternate with no heat natural styles (I will probably lean towards the wigs since it's getting colder). I also plan to get back on taking my hair vitamins consistently, but additional growth means nothing unless I work on retaining it. Being a type 4a/4b/4c comes with the battle with SSKs, but I need to become more proactive with keeping them under control so I can reach my hair goals.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I'm thinking about using heat monthly. I will probably go to the aforementioned Dominican stylist once a month to get my hair straightened, because I'm noticing I'm having setbacks and not retaining as much length because I have a bunch of SSKs. It looks like at this point, I will have TL cut off another inch or so of hair to get rid of them (this might also be scab hair too). Hopefully straightening my hair once a month will help me keep them under control, as well as keep a balance in my low porosity hair. On the other weeks, I will wash and deep condition my hair at home and wear wigs, or alternate with no heat natural styles (I will probably lean towards the wigs since it's getting colder). I also plan to get back on taking my hair vitamins consistently, but additional growth means nothing unless I work on retaining it. Being a type 4a/4b/4c comes with the battle with SSKs, but I need to become more proactive with keeping them under control so I can reach my hair goals.
This might work for me if I don't get braids.

MsSanz92

This might work for me if I don't get braids.

I want to get braids too... but I'm not sure if my hair is healthy enough right now for them. I have 3 major issues I'm trying to work on: 1) getting rid of these SSKs and the damage it has caused to my hair 2) reducing shedding (which I've already worked on by using garlic products which are working) and 3) thickening and getting my edges to grow, since they're significantly shorter than the rest of my hair

Once I get these issues under control, I will go back to braids and weaves.

Evolving78

I
I want to get braids too... but I'm not sure if my hair is healthy enough right now for them. I have 3 major issues I'm trying to work on: 1) getting rid of these SSKs and the damage it has caused to my hair 2) reducing shedding (which I've already worked on by using garlic products which are working) and 3) thickening and getting my edges to grow, since they're significantly shorter than the rest of my hair

Once I get these issues under control, I will go back to braids and weaves.
I want to get braids, but I'm scared of someone ripping though my hair. I have only allowed a stylist in my hair twice during my natural phases. I was getting my own hair braided in individuals, so it was ok to have her to use a spray bottle to keep my hair from drying out and shrinking up. But folks can be very rough trying to cornrow my hair. I would have to blow dry it, and yet my ends will still try to revert.

PerfectlyFlawed

So I think I found my new home, I straighten my hair for the first time since my BC last August. I must say I missed looking like I have hair and being able to put my hair into a bun. I'm so sick of my ssk and not being able to style my hair because it's at an awkward length (in its natural state anyways).

I'm seriously considering straightening my hair monthly. I will reassess when summer hits

Evolving78

So I think I found my new home, I straighten my hair for the first time since my BC last August. I must say I missed looking like I have hair and being able to put my hair into a bun. I'm so sick of my ssk and not being able to style my hair because it's at an awkward length (in its natural state anyways).

I'm seriously considering straightening my hair monthly. I will reassess when summer hits
How long is your hair? I miss my bun.

BrickbyBrick

It's funny. I texlaxed a few months ago to my regret. although I love my hair being a bit more manageable, i'd like to see how I fare with just periodic caramel silk presses from here on out. Just wish I were better at keeping hair straight after a workout. I sucked at that when I was natural. And Single strand knots were definitely my demon too.

Anaisin

Debating whether I should shampoo, DC & air dry Saturday night then blow dry & straighten Sunday or just do everything I n Sunday

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I did my second bkt Thursday. My hair feels so silky and smooth already. The real results usually aren't seen until after the first wash.

I wasn't supposed to apply any products for the first 2 days, so I moisturized my ends just now with Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth cream. I will cowash and dc Wednesday or Thursday. Depending on how my hair feels I may not use any heat until my next bkt.

CurlyRy

Hello everyone, I'm going to be a straight hair natural for the winter. Since I've been natural I've only used a flat iron twice. The first time it didn't get that straight because I just flat ironed a curlformer set.

This time around I blew my hair out before straightening. After reading hairscapades's post on her straight hair routine I feel like I'm ready to pass this winter as a straight hair natural. I'm mostly doing this because I started working and I just ain't got time for it. :/

***I need tips about moisturizing my ends without reverting my hair! (is it even possible?) Thanks in advance! :D

Here are my starting pics. I had to trim off about an inch off my ends

Attachments

• IMG_6223.JPG
    IMG_6223.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6225.JPG
    IMG_6225.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6226.JPG
    IMG_6226.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6227.JPG
    IMG_6227.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 89

Daina

@CurlyRy, your hair is gorgeous! When I flat iron a few times a year I like Neutrogena Triple moisture for my ends and I seal with with Komaza strengthening oil. They both work great and my hair doesn't revert. I usually keep my hair straight 2-3 weeks when I do flat iron.

Anaisin

When I washed my hair after having it straight recently it stayed straight lol I cowashed it a few days after and now I have 3c/4a looking hair. There is a piece on the right side where like 2 inches is still straight. Guessing that's not coming back. Oh well

Cowashing today. Hoping to see some 4b coils this time. My hair takes like 4 washes to revert back. You would think I put some type of treatment in it.

When the YouTube girls wash their hair once after straightening it's back to normal

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Today is the first time I went to bed with freshly pressed hair that I did myself and woke up with my hair still straight. Even my edges are still straight. I'm shocked. I am sure I have heat damage because my hair usually begins to revert as soon as I am finished flat ironing it. Oh well, I am still going to enjoy this.
Thinking about rocking straight hair for a while because I have been neglecting my hair in it s natural state and I am ready for something new without committing to a relaxer or texlax (which my hair can't handle anyway.) Looking into treatments to help make straight hair last longer because I don't want to straighten it more than once a month.