Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
It's too hot for wigs right now and I missed my hair. I did a bkt on the 17th and I've been wearing my hair straight since then. I didn't use 400 degrees so my results may not last long...

I'll do another treatment in a few weeks

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Ladies, its been a while but I am back!

Thoughts and feelings on daily wrapping?

I have a new asymmetrical cut and wrapping is easiest but I am trying to prevent breakage and thinning. Opinions?
I cross wrap nightly, because it's less manipulation. If your hair is at least shoulder length you should be able to do it. I was never a fan of traditional wrapping

curlyTisME

I cross wrap nightly, because it's less manipulation. If your hair is at least shoulder length you should be able to do it. I was never a fan of traditional wrapping

I just recently got an asymmetrical bob, also I'm not quite shoulder length. I'm about an inch from CB length.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Ladies, its been a while but I am back!

Thoughts and feelings on daily wrapping?

I have a new asymmetrical cut and wrapping is easiest but I am trying to prevent breakage and thinning. Opinions?
I only wrap when I want to keep my hair straight straight. I typically wear my hair curled so I would sleep with two bantu knots. Are you planning to keep your hair cut in that style for a while? If yes then you have time to experiment with sleep wrapping methods. Wrapping may not be too much manipulation if you use a paddle brush and do it quickly without over brushing.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
So what blow dryers are we using? I broke my blow dryer and never replaced it because I was wearing my hair curly and working out more. I am over this curly hair :lol: it's a lot of work. Now I have to figure out how to maintain straight hair with my workouts.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
*peeks head in thread*

I started blow drying my hair straight not too long ago and I really liked how soft my hair felt and how simple it was to just get up and go. It made me curious about wearing my hair straight and letting go of the 24/7 wash and go lifestyle lol.

I pressed my hair last Saturday and it held up all week! I haven't gone this long without washing my hair in years lol. My hair hasn't felt this good in a long time. Very soft and moisturized and only my roots reverted (night sweater). I have been alternating between satin rollers and pin curls at night and lightly misting my hair with spray oil/shine spray to keep it soft and moisturized. I'm surprised by how easy it is!

I also have been upgrading my hair products and styling tools (only thing left is to upgrade my blow dryer) so that I am using high quality products in order to keep my hair healthy. My ends are a little rough due to SSKs and mid shaft splits, which I finally figured out, is due to the way I have been bunning my hair everyday :cry3::cry3:

Tomorrow I will wash and deep condition, blow dry and flat iron again. I am looking forward to it! And not just because my scalp is really itchy lol.

My hair straight:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have several products that I use to straighten my hair (from cleansers to leave ins) and I like to try different combinations to see what works the best. Last wash day I used Uncurly Keratin shampoo with Chroma Riche mask and Suave Keratin infusions leave in cream. My hair was silky, shiny and smelled great for days!

Today I used the Kerastase discipline line: Curl Ideal cleansing conditioner and Maskeratine dc. Since this line is specifically for smoothing frizzy hair I expect to be amazed. I just can't decide whether to use the Suave Keratin leave in or the Herbal Essences Touchably smooth. HE is a great leave in and it makes my ends feel, well "touchably smooth". On the other hand Suave Keratin infusions is magic in a bottle for straightening hair. It even worked on my daughter's low porosity, dry, 4b hair. I guess I better stick with what works...at least this week :afro:

curlyTisME

I only wrap when I want to keep my hair straight straight. I typically wear my hair curled so I would sleep with two bantu knots. Are you planning to keep your hair cut in that style for a while? If yes then you have time to experiment with sleep wrapping methods. Wrapping may not be too much manipulation if you use a paddle brush and do it quickly without over brushing.

I plan to grow it out gradually. I hope to have a blunt length bob ny New Years. I used to roll with flexi rods but my ends can't tolerate all that manipulation and Bobby pins feel like they pull my hair when I pin curl.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I just shampooed and conditioned with Joico Moisture Recovery poo and condish. This is my second time using the Joico and wow!!! it is amaaaaazing. My curls are popping! A little goes a very long way and the conditioner slip is awesome. The shampoo is formulated so well, I have never used a shampoo like this before. It's a little pricey but my bottles should last me months (Ulta has a sale going on and I got an extra bottle of the liter conditioner for free!). Salon quality hair products really do make a difference. I currently have the Treatment Balm from the same line sitting on my hair right now, which I am getting ready to rinse out, and then I will apply Shea Moisture Coconut Water hair masque which I am trying out for the first time :)

:look: When I was detangling my brush looked like a small cat :rofl: I lightly detangled every day this week, but this was the first proper detangling session since last Saturday. I'm having a lot of fun with my hair today! After I am done deep conditioning I will apply Ion Moisture Solutions Miracle Leave-in and some IC Fantasia heat protecting serum and blow out my hair. I got the Ion leave-in for free last week b/c I renewed my Sally BS card :) hooray

IMG_3824.JPG

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@whiteoleander91 I'm so glad you liked the Joico products! :2inlove: I remember our conversation about them.

I've read on here that some members have issues with the Balm when they flat iron. They say it weighs the hair down. I use mine when I roller set and it's perfect for that so I don't have that issue. Let me know how the Balm works for you.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
@whiteoleander91 I'm so glad you liked the Joico products! :2inlove: I remember our conversation about them.

I've read on here that some members have issues with the Balm when they flat iron. They say it weighs the hair down. I use mine when I roller set and it's perfect for that so I don't have that issue. Let me know how the Balm works for you.

Yes thank you so much for the quick review!! It helped me make up mind and I just went for it lol I am glad I gave the Joico a chance. And I will let you know how the balm works! Hopefully my hair comes out okay.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I really like how my hair came out today! My hair does feel heavier than last week but I'm not sure if it's the Joico Treatment Balm or the new leave-in spray I tried. Either way, I really like how it feels. I trimmed my ends and they look so much better!

Attachments

• IMG_3835.JPG
    IMG_3835.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3846.JPG
    IMG_3846.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3858.JPG
    IMG_3858.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3859.JPG
    IMG_3859.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3860.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 131

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

Love this.

I liked using the vented brush to blow dry. Bought it like 2 years ago and finally used it

Your hair is amazing! Wow! I can't seem to get any straitness when I try to straighten my natural hair. I am at my wits end. LOL

Last edited:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
@whiteoleander91 So sleek and shiny!!! :drool:

So how often are you thinking about straightening? Maybe just during the cooler months? What temperature are you setting your flat iron on to get such beautiful results?

Thank you!! I am taking it a week at a time but I am kind of thinking of making this a regular thing; either blow drying and flat ironing, or just blow drying (which is what I was doing at first). Somehow my hair is managing to hang on in this hot and humid Texas weather lol. I have an Original CHI ceramic flat iron that doesn't have a temp setting but says it only goes up to 392. The only reason I was okay with purchasing a flat iron w/out some sort of temp adjuster is b/c I would set the heat to about this temp anyway. Plus I've always wanted to try a CHI lol.

@whiteoleander91 how are you keeping your hair straight in this heat and humidity?

Girrrrl you tell me b/c I knew for SURE!! that my hair would explode once I walked outside lol. I have been wearing it in loose ponies and bobby pin buns and spritzing it with shine spray at night before setting it for the night. Only my roots reverted because I sweat like I am working out in my sleep (caffeine during the day means night sweats for me). Tonight I am sleeping under a sheet :eyebrows2: lol It's a magical situation :lol:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I got a lot of compliments today! I wear my hair in a curly bun mostly and today is the first time that I have worn my straightened hair loose to work (well, mostly loose... I have the top half clipped up like yesterday). Everyone kept saying I need to wear it "down" more often and that I look really nice today. And people were more friendly! I love my hair like this but I also love my curls. I don't think I look frumpy with my homespun curly bun :cry3:lol But all this attention today makes me feel some kinda way! lol