Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Anyone have style ideas for old flat ironed hair with out using heat? Im working on week 3 and my hair is very oily at this point. I'm trying to get to the elusive 4 week mark. so far I used Bantu knots and Caruso rollers but I'm bored of them. today I did a crown braid to change it up. it's cute but not very glamorous. Lol

Daina

@Napp, I only made it to week 3 before it became too oily and flat. In the interim though I did pin curls. With the pin curls I did a half up, half down style when I took them out. I also did plaits for a wavy braidout. By the end of the last week I did a french braid and yesterday a bun.

CurlyRy

@CurlyRy, your hair is gorgeous! When I flat iron a few times a year I like Neutrogena Triple moisture for my ends and I seal with with Komaza strengthening oil. They both work great and my hair doesn't revert. I usually keep my hair straight 2-3 weeks when I do flat iron.

I'm living overseas right now (originally from the US) so I don't know if I can find Neutrogena hair products but I'll keep an eye out. And thanks for the suggestion! :drunk::drunk:

winterinatl

All natural!
Hi everyone,
I have been natural almost one full year (with 3.5 years of natural growth). I have problems keeping my roots from reverting bc I swear in my head at night and in the shower.

I watch YouTube gals Sistawithrealhair and Melissa Denise and thought of something different to try. Normally I sleep in satin scarves. Then I leave hair wrapped and with shower cap on when I shower. Reversion.

Sista always swore by a COTTON scarf at night and her edges never revert nor does she use an edge control. But COTTON?! The devil... Melissa didn't use a shower cap but uses a tee shirt or towel over her wrapped hair.

So that is what I tried. Just that one thing (no showering with synthetic head coverings) has made such a HUGE difference you guys! My fine-ish hair has lasted 10 days with nightly wrapping.

I hope to experiment with COTTON night wraps as well.

Oh, the little waving and reversion I have noticed didn't happen until I added some edge control. It's water based. Sistawithrealhair uses only graoeseed oil. I may try that again.

Please note I haven't been working out. When I work out my whole hair drops with sweat (or used to when relaxed). I imagine if I start again soon I'd have to be curly/wet head all the time. Which is not my favorite thing.

curlyTisME

Wrapped my hair last night out of pure laziness and now my hair is a bit too straight. Used some Giovanni olive oil serum and pincurled it
up.

I need to figure out how to tame all the flyaway's I get.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My roots are already reverting so I'm going to install some braids tonight and wear a wig tomorrow. I will straighten again next month when I do my bkt.

frizzy

Hi ladies! I've been watching this thread and I read the whole thing over the last few weeks and I'm kinda sad it came to an end. :look: But now it's my turn to join you and participate.

Here are my current stats:
Natural (4 yrs)
3B/4A with a dry tangly crown area
APL- goal is WL
a practicing straight haired natural since September

My current routine is to wash, DC, blow dry on warm/low speed (Silverbird dryer). I intend to use non frizzing conditioners and serums before blow drying to to prevent reversion and SSKs. I like to oil my scalp w/various growth oils, then I spritz a liquid leave-in then add a creamy leave-in the Celie plait and rod the ends.

I did all of the above yesterday, minus the conditioners (oops, forgot them at and left at home) but my hair came out great.

I'm style challenged without a good, shaped haircut, but that is okay until I reach MBL. So I keep my hair styled mostly in some kind of twisted pony or bun.

frizzy

I was in the same boat before I washed my hair Friday. My scalp started getting itchy about 4 days after I flat ironed it but I took care of that by oiling my scalp.

I was loosely trying to keep my hair straight until 12/1, and I could have done it if I didn't try to moisturize with SM coconut & hibiscus leave in. That product on top of the other silicone leave ins I had been using made my hair feel stiff. I was glad to wash it!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Ok I don't think I can get to that elusive week 4 and not sure I want to either. lol my hair felt gross after 3 weeks.

I'm thinking 3 weeks straight one week curly so I can see how the heat affects my curl pattern. or I can do heat every other week and curly on the other weeks. have not decided yet

curlyTisME

Still getting my monthly presses and I am loving the decision. I have no time to do my hair every night, nor do I want to. My hair is noticeably fuller and thicker believe it or not and I can really see some retention. My ends are also in great condition and I have maintained a schedule for my moisture and protein treatments. My stylist trims when needed and is not scissor happy so I know I will see great growth with consistency and time. I have been pin curling more often than wrapping and I do not apply product to my hair until I get it washed and repressed. I will very rarely add some Giovanni serum to my ends when they get frizzy or dry, but for the most part I do nothing.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I did another bkt last night (same brand Uncurly). My hair looks nice, but the magic happens after the first wash. I trimmed during the Winter Solstice also.

Jace032000

I have not been on the LHCF for a grip --- but I'm back now! Still a straight haired natural but now I'm rocking BSL. I'm slowly but surely cutting off what's left of my BKT and this year I've selectively gone from MBL to BSL. My 2017 goal is to "baby" my edges --- because for some strange reason...they have broken off. I also trimmed during solstice!!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I tried to do the straight thing but my hair was like

Back to wash n goes I go

Daina

I straightened my hair 3 times (granted I didn't use my tried and true products) and my hair was a puffy frizzy mess.

I got heat damage from the last flat ironing from using very high temperatures as well. So I'm looking into using some vials I bought to help bring back my curls. so far so good

@Napp, Olaplex and Philip Kingsley elasticizer are good at helping to restore your curls. I use them together as a pre-poo treatment.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Did a blowout last week and another blowout today! My hair feels so soft. Did a trim last time and it is so much easier to trim on straight hair. Makes a big difference in hair shape and how the hair falls when curly. I used a round brush to blow dry these last 2 times which was the best decision ever. Got my hair pretty straight (Well, straight for me lol) with smooth ends.

image.jpeg

curlyTisME

My hair will get some TLC in another week so we are just maintaining for now. My asymmetrical cut is almost completely grown out. I should be all even by the end of January, early February.

My stylist recommended crochet braids for the spring and summer and I think I am willing to give it a shot. Another stylist in the salon does the install, but my stylist will wash, treat and prep my hair. 4-6 weeks at a time and I will be following up for maintenance. I think I will install in March and wear different styles until about August when school starts back.

Daina

I just want to say thanks for this. I ended up putting keratin on top of my heat damaged hair and my hair became straight. so I went and got the olaplex. after 20 mins my curls are back!

@Napp, yassssss Sis so glad it worked for you!!!! I am going to go back to using it 2/3 times a month. I had started using only once per month but my curls have been kinda uninspired and very dry this winter so they need a boost.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
would love to start straightening again but this darn liquid x-cel spritz I'm using... the ORS system was really good. the serum was excellent