Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Alma Petra

Stick in there it will be worth it in the end. Your natural hair's potential will be hidden by your processed ends for a long time. How long do you plan to transition?

I really hope so. I am thinking that I might be able to come across some products or techniques that could make my natural roots feel and behave better, but I haven't figured out where to start yet.

Regarding the duration of the transition, I really don't know, but I'm thinking of a very long transition because I am not yet ready to part with my length. I'm even subscribed to a few length challenges :angel:

Alma Petra

@Alma Petra I'm sure some of the long long term transitioners will be of some help. I only transitioned for 19 months with the help of a stylist. I wore my hair in twisted and cornrowed updos. @GettingKinky may have some suggestions.

You've had amazing results! Had you ever tried wash and gos while transitioning? What differences did you notice on your hair immediately before and after you did the chop?

Daina

I really hope so. I am thinking that I might be able to come across some products or techniques that could make my natural roots feel and behave better, but I haven't figured out where to start yet.

Regarding the duration of the transition, I really don't know, but I'm thinking of a very long transition because I am not yet ready to part with my length. I'm even subscribed to a few length challenges :angel:

@Alma Petra, I never big chopped per se when I first transitioned almost 10 years ago. I did deep trims which got rid of my relaxed ends in about 2 years. Keep in mind when I was relaxed I only got touch-ups 2 at most 3 times per year and I was never bone straight. When I decided to transition I hadn't had a touch-up in 9 months and had a decent portion of new growth and natural hair. I was also living in Colorado at the time where there is no humidity and that really made things easier for me. Braidouts and twistouts were my go-to styles. I was also a straight-haired natural for a number of years.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
You've had amazing results! Had you ever tried wash and gos while transitioning? What differences did you notice on your hair immediately before and after you did the chop?
Thanks. I didn't wash n go until I was fully natural. The further I got into my transition the easier it was to manage the natural part. The problem was the permed part it tangled something awful. Once I got the permed ends cut my hair was fine it took awhile to figure out what I was doing.

GettingKinky

@Alma Petra I'm sure some of the long long term transitioners will be of some help. I only transitioned for 19 months with the help of a stylist. I wore my hair in twisted and cornrowed updos. @GettingKinky may have some suggestions.

I was really low maintenance during my transition. I always wear buns or ponytails. To get my edges to lay down I mist them with water and then layer on oil and DB transitioning creme and tie them down with a scarf.

Alma Petra

Thanks. I didn't wash n go until I was fully natural. The further I got into my transition the easier it was to manage the natural part. The problem was the permed part it tangled something awful. Once I got the permed ends cut my hair was fine it took awhile to figure out what I was doing.
My relaxed ends have the same problem. I remember that my natural hair was really easy to comb through with a narrow tooth comb even when dry. It's ironic.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@Alma Petra, not trying to push my blog but I journaled about my long term transition. I transitioned for 27 months and removed the rest of my relaxed hair on Labor Day 2016. The longer you transition, the easier the natural hair will become and you might find, your relaxed hair will become the issue. Usually, tangling is the biggest issue. With natural hair, hydration is usually the biggest issue.

GettingKinky

After 3 years of transitioning I have to say that today was a bit anti-climatic.

Since I was transitioning from texlax, the line of demarcation isn't that strong so it was hard to tell where to cut.

And since I've been gradually trimming the last 3 years there want much to cut off.

And my curl pattern in the front is so loose, I wish it matched the back.

Attachments

• IMG_8491.jpg
    IMG_8491.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8492.jpg
    IMG_8492.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 64

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Congrats @GettingKinky i understand exactly what you mean because I felt the same way when I chopped. I actually thought I still had some texlaxed hair left and another e-sister on here told me to stop cutting. I also had some heat damage to my natural curls, so that made a difference but it's meh to me now.

Eventually, you will dust and lightly trim, so if you have any doubt, they will disappear but for now, enjoy your hair. Your hair is really beautiful.