Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

DVAntDany

KCKT/jello shot doesn’t have as much staying power as UFD/jello shot, but I like the way it looks better.
I’ll be doing a mid week wash this week. I think I’ll do UFD only.
What you are doing is the type of experimenting I like to do. I’m probably going to try out the UFD because the different schools products feel and work a little different from each other.

DVAntDany

After redoing my hair this morning to experiment, I see that the product suggestions have been curated to work together.

Simply changing the shampoo and conditioner made a difference in how the products performed. This is really influencing me to want to try the suggested combos (Poo + con + styler) because I want to see/feel what these instructors are wanting me to achieve.

P.S. That little shampoo brush felt amazing on my scalp and it really glided through my hair. No tugging or pulling.

My results kinda sucked but that is user error.

faithVA

I can’t wait to hear how everything goes with the Conair. Squished hair can’t be revived by putting more product on hair.
So far so good. I will have to try it again after I reset. Since I used both of the steamers on my hair that was probably too much water. But it did allow me to fluff and it feels a little softer then it did this morning. I do have more frizz but I think that was because it was too much steam.

I will try it again in a few days.

faithVA

I think I'm going to try with just UFD for a while. Last year when I did just UFD my sets seemed to last 3 to 5 days. Recently it seems like my sets only last about 2 even though my hair is longer. I'm not really sure though. I'm going to have to pay more attention. But when I reset this week I will just use UFD and see how that goes. I may need to hold ICH for the summer when there is more humidity.

GettingKinky

What are the most significant things you learned from the DS? I somehow feel like I’m missing out. Little snippets of the book seem to go into thorough detail.

The most important things I learned from the digital salon were

- the shampoo spectrum (this was truly new to me)
- get hair super wet before adding shampoo
- use LOTS of water at every step
- use LOTS of gel
- the use of a topper gel
- emulsify your products
- detangle thoroughly
- rake stylers through hair thoroughly
- how to diffuse (I had been cupping my hair in the diffuser)
- the best way for me to wear a buff (pulled down on my head like a hat)

I’m sure I learned many more things in my time there, but for me these were the most important things that gave me a good looking WnG

Britt

@Britt They do have gems. The first time I joined the digital salon I only stayed for 2 months and I learned a lot, but I was in a hurry because I didn’t want to keep spending $25/momth. The second time I joined (for 6 months) I think it all really sank in. Being part of the DS made me much more intentional every time I did my hair. I would imagine that the As were watching me CCS and critiquing me. :oops:

When they announced the salon was closing I went back through a bunch of the videos and took detailed notes.

I still listen to a lot of their lives, I usually don’t learn anything new, but I see when they are softening their stance on certain issues.

If SeeSomeCurls had a community aspect I probably would have joined.
I hear ya... same here.

- use LOTS of gel
- emulsify your products
- detangle thoroughly

I’m sure I learned many more things in my time there, but for me these were the most important things that gave me a good looking WnG
yes yes yes to all of this. The shampoo spectrum was truly new to me! I have a better sense of when to use what shampoo, before I was over clarifying :nono: also I didn't know that you had to use a moisturizing shampoo after the clarifying shampoo b/c they have different ph. I love my buff, i have two :lol:

faithVA

- use LOTS of gel
- emulsify your products
- detangle thoroughly

I agree that these are great gems from the digital salon and their teachings.

The shampoo spectrum was probably the most important for me and it is what enabled me to do a wash and go. Without this change I don't think it would have worked.

The second was emulsifying product. Who knew that would make such a difference.

I had never heard of a topper or at least was unaware it was a technique. And the explanation of how and when to use it is key.

Some of the other things I still have not learned yet. But maybe in time.

Another thing I picked up is to know which products to use for the style you are trying to achieve. I've always used gels for my twists and they say no gel. I have yet to do a twist but I am want to see if I can do twists with a leave in and one product. I'm not sold yet :lol: But willing to try it.

toaster

My biggest takeaway was really water! Adding it at every step. Making my hair soaking wet before adding shampoo. Soaking wet before adding conditioner. Soaking wet before adding base gel. Add some more water. Then add my topper.

I really think the styling portion (parting, detangling, etc) I would have figured out, but everyone on YouTube does their wash and go sitting at a table with a water bottle. If I tried that my hair would look like trash.

My sister just listens to what I say about hair and then does her own thing. She doesn’t use small parts and she’s probably not using “enough” product, but she makes sure her hair is soaking wet at each step and her hair has greatly improved.

faithVA

I'm envious. My hair is never soaking wet no matter what I do. I hope as I keep doing this my hair does better with water. The only time I can get my hair to hold water is if I apply a layer of gel and then add water. The gel will hold the water to my hair. Even my stylist doesn't use a lot of water on my hair. I noticed that she takes a little water in her hands and runs it through my hair.

And I know I'm under the water for a good 5 minutes before shampooing :ohwell:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I was too cheap to buy the slapcap with the hole in it. I already have 3 slap caps. And I felt it would be too hot for me to sleep in.

So I bought the evolve pineapple sleep cap. I think this might work. I have it on now and it isn't too hot and it isn't killing my head. If it goes well, I may buy a few more and get rid of some of the other junk I have.

Evolve Pineapple Sleep Cap
I have one of these still in the packaging, beneath my sink! Now I know how to use it. Thanks.

LavenderMint

@LavenderMint

Stylist using it

Denman giving short example of using it
Ooooooooh!! Thank you!
I actually had the D38 before AHG did that vid but I have been using it on MiniMint because it did such a good & gentle job removing the remnants of cradle cap on his scalp and throughly detangles his hair with ease. He absolutely loooooves that brush & will bring it to me if he sees it, laying his head down to get brushed :spinning:
I don’t know why I had no idea Denman has a YouTube channel. Will definitely check them out.

faithVA

I have one of these still in the packaging, beneath my sink! Now I know how to use it. Thanks.
I think it is going to work well for me. It is light and allows my crown to breath so I don't overheat at night. It allows me to make sure my hair stays in the right direction but it doesn't make it look dull when I take it off. It flattened my hair but it didn't kill my curls. Although, I have a bigger head than many it wasn't too tight. And it is inexpensive. Think it is going to work just fine. :yep:

faithVA

Took my cap off this morning and my hair was looking a little flat and scary. After my shower, massaged my roots to fluff it up a bit. And looked in the mirror and was like :yep: that is good enough to make it another day. Less definition and more frizz but still maintaining enough shape to make it look OK. Later in the morning I sprayed it with UFD refreshing spray. I should have done that before the shower but I forgot. Just want to keep it somewhat moisturized until I refresh.

colorful_coils

I just did my mid-week wash using CR Style Setter, Earthtones Max Enhancing Gelly as my base, and Trepadora Acai Berry Gel as my topper. Y'all were right about that Earthtones! Great definition and hold, AND my hair dried quickly. I'd say it's just below Jello Shot in terms of hold, but my hair is much softer.

LavenderMint

@toaster your hair always looks so good & hydrated!!

When I joined the digital salon, one of the first things that blew my mind was the idea of emulsifying shampoo. I was always one of those naturals who scoffed at the idea of using just a coin sized amount of anything on my thick, thirsty hair. I tried it and was floored by how much better it worked!! That was when I got out a notebook and pen to go back through the videos.
The other thing that kind of caught my attention was the fact that they suggested more expensive products. It wasn’t surprising because don’t we expect stylists to push expensive products? But (unless I missed it) they didn’t have any way to get a kickback from what they were suggesting. Considering that my hair was never “held” by a gel until I tried WetLine, I was willing to give more expensive products a try. Again, it worked (except for the kinky curly system, which we now know has a learning curve).
The only other thing that I found to be startling new information was the idea of thinking of your wng as a style to be set, so (mostly) drying your wng under a dryer. I think one of the As asked if you’d airdry a roller set & how we shouldn’t necessarily air dry our wng. That was an interesting thought.

Between the As digital salon, Afope Atoyebi (a high porosity trichologist on YT) and troubleshooting here, I feel like I have learned more about caring for & styling my hair than ever before.

colorful_coils

Between the As digital salon, Afope Atoyebi (a high porosity trichologist on YT) and troubleshooting here, I feel like I have learned more about caring for & styling my hair than ever before.
That's wonderful to hear! Do you feel like your hair has gotten healthier as well?

I've had the exact same experience. Y'all, the A's, Afope and the different stylists on Twitter have taught me so much about hair care. The stylists are a bit too harsh for me though (I don't get why they get so mad and condescending), so I've taken what I need and I just listen to y'all and Afope now.

However, I still deep condition (albeit for 20 mins instead of an hour) and use leave-ins, and I use curl-defining creams instead of mousse for twist-outs :look: I've adjusted the recommendations to suit my hair and my preferences, which I think everyone should do. My hair has changed for the better. It's never been this healthy, soft, or defined.

The other thing that kind of caught my attention was the fact that they suggested more expensive products.
To their credit, those expensive products WORK. Olaplex #3 has saved my hair from excessive shedding and breakage. The conditioners and gels can be costly, but have high-quality ingredients so you don't need to use much to get moisture, hold and definition.

Plus the stylists advocate for using everything on soaking wet hair, which further reduces how much you need.

Overall, I'm so thankful to have found y'all and these methods :2inlove:

GettingKinky

I did a mid week wash for the first time in a month. I used Elucence moisture poo/Deva Decadence conditioner/UFD

I don’t really like the Deva conditioner, it’s very lightweight and has a very strong perfume smell, but I don’t want to toss it. I think it will be fine for midweek sessions. I had never given much thought to the “weight” of conditioner until the digital salon.

I only diffused for about 4-5 minutes because I had to get to work, but I think my hair is 70% dry.

My hair came out fluffy and full. I really like it, and I think UFD only will hold it for 2-3 days.

I still have a major disconnect on my left side, but I would have to cut a lot of hair to fix it. Some days I’m ready to do it and some days I’m not.

68888B44-62FB-49AE-9578-06703667FDA8.jpeg

faithVA

I did a mid week wash for the first time in a month. I used Elucence moisture poo/Deva Decadence conditioner/UFD

I don’t really like the Deva conditioner, it’s very lightweight and has a very strong perfume smell, but I don’t want to toss it. I think it will be fine for midweek sessions. I had never given much thought to the “weight” of conditioner until the digital salon.

I only diffused for about 4-5 minutes because I had to get to work, but I think my hair is 70% dry.

My hair came out fluffy and full. I really like it, and I think UFD only will hold it for 2-3 days.

I still have a major disconnect on my left side, but I would have to cut a lot of hair to fix it. Some days I’m ready to do it and some days I’m not.

View attachment 470081
It looks really good. I love the curliness and fluffiness of it.

I like the DevaCurl conditioner. It used to be my go to. I guess I like it because it is light. hmm, Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it is good to know whether your hair needs a heavy or light conditioner.

I don't see anything going on with your left side. It looks good to me. But I can understand when something bugs you.

GettingKinky

It looks really good. I love the curliness and fluffiness of it.

I like the DevaCurl conditioner. It used to be my go to. I guess I like it because it is light. hmm, Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it is good to know whether your hair needs a heavy or light conditioner.

I don't see anything going on with your left side. It looks good to me. But I can understand when something bugs you.

Which Deva conditioner do you have?
My hair has two different levels on the left side. They aren’t glaring, but definitely there.
7272CAB0-FA67-4BC4-993B-5BA9D330F3DD.jpeg

faithVA

Which Deva conditioner do you have?
My hair has two different levels on the left side. They aren’t glaring, but definitely there.
View attachment 470083
I don't have any more Deva Curl. I was using the Deva Curl One but I didn't re-up after I started with the A's. But I used it for a couple of years.

I see what you mean. I know it bugs you. But because it blends so well on camera, I think your hair still looks good. It is one of those things that you know it shouldn't be that way but unless you know, it looks like it is meant to be that way. Definitely let the mood to cut pass.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I pulled out my q-redew to see if would help with refreshing my hair. It's not the best appliance in the world. No matter how much care I use it always seems plugged up if I don't use it often. But I figured out how to get it working again. It wasn't cheap so I'm going to keep it until it stops working.

Most of my hair I can semi fluff, but the right side of my hair has the least definition and moisture so it doesn't refresh easily. I let the steam I let the q-redew steam up the hair a bit and then fluffed. It was definitely easier to move and fluff once it was softened. It loosened my curl a little bit. Not sure if it will cause frizz or what it will look like later. Will have to wait and see.

But then I pulled out my Conair steamer for my clothes. That gives off a lot more steam. It doesn't appear to be any hotter than the q-redew. I would say the q-redew may just be designed to be more focused.

I think the Conair gives off more steam and will be easier and faster to use. It also holds more water and is easier to hold.

I'm going to use the Conair tomorrow and evaluate whether I need to do an entire CCS tomorrow or if I can get buy with a day of steaming. I want to give it another day since I just did my color but my hair feels a little drier than usual.

Oh and I found my Tangle Teezer in my SO's bathroom. I'm going to try smoothing with it tomorrow and see how it works.
Now you got me heading to Amazon for a steamer!

toaster

I just did my mid-week wash using CR Style Setter, Earthtones Max Enhancing Gelly as my base, and Trepadora Acai Berry Gel as my topper. Y'all were right about that Earthtones! Great definition and hold, AND my hair dried quickly. I'd say it's just below Jello Shot in terms of hold, but my hair is much softer.
Yay someone else tried the earthtones gel! I’m glad you like it!