Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

DVAntDany

I can attest that a quality shampoo and conditioner make the difference. And I would say that for me the shampoo has been the most important. When I got a better combo of shampoos (clarifying, almost clarifying, moisturizing, all purpose), my hair improved drastically. I will no longer skimp on this item.
I’m starting to see that I will probably need awhole arsenal of the necessary products like shampoo. I guess it isn’t the stylers like many of they teach.

DVAntDany

Also, A w/glasses answered my question in the last 10Q. I complained about hard hair, but being able to achieving everything else. She said I could use acream styler and wash my hair every few days. I would have fluffy or Afro hair but I would have softness.

I submitted my question before I truly did it their way. There was a time limit to get that question in too. Having that confirmation was nice.

Last thing, everywhere I did smooth has a light cast and is nearly dry. Everywhere else is still damp. Shake and go is a no. Also, this smoothed areas are more defined. Will update.

GettingKinky

Also, A w/glasses answered my question in the last 10Q. I complained about hard hair, but being able to achieving everything else. She said I could use acream styler and wash my hair every few days. I would have fluffy or Afro hair but I would have softness.

I submitted my question before I truly did it their way. There was a time limit to get that question in too. Having that confirmation was nice.

Last thing, everywhere I did smooth has a light cast and is nearly dry. Everywhere else is still damp. Shake and go is a no. Also, this smoothed areas are more defined. Will update.
It seems that “glasses” has modified her stance a bit. When I was in the DS I asked about washing every 2-3 days because I liked the way my hair looked with low hold stylers. She said would be too much manipulation, and I would risk hygral fatigue. I don’t really buy that because as she loves to say she used to be in the swim team and washed her hair everyday after practice. They are constantly changing their stance on things. But they are also so dogmatic. It drives me crazy.

They also used to be anti diffuser. I got a Dyson before they decided they liked the dyson, and they told me I should just get a hooded dryer. I knew I would never use a hooded dryer so I kept diffusing. Then maybe 5 months later they decided the dyson was the best thing since sliced bread.

Britt

So I was up late last night and decided to watch an IGTV of SilkedbySonnie and Chocolatecurlsbeauty. They spoke about dusty twistouts and how much density makes a difference in your twist outs. Sonnie showed an area of her hair compared to Aishia's hair to show the difference in coarseness. They brought up the illustration of using a marker compared to a pen.. if your twist is the size of a pen, then your twist out will look trash b/c it's too fine. I agree. They said when naturals always talk about juicy twists, it's b/c it's the thickness and density that is making the twist look juicy. I agree. I'm sure this offended plenty people, but ime and observation, it's 100000% true :lol:. Twist outs look amazing on high density hair. Most YouTubers with gorgeous twist outs regardless or curl pattern have A LOT of hair :think: :lol:

I did a twist out using Mousse def and took them down this morning.
My twist out is trash. It comes out the same exact way every single time I use mousse. It's light, fluffy with no real structure or weight to it. When I did twist outs, I prefer a creamy type gel product.

Whew, I see how they offend many but I ain't lying if I say I didn't agree with every word they said in in that video.

oneastrocurlie

@Britt I agree juicy twists are juicy because the hair density. My twists look juicy everywhere but in the front of my head where my hair is finer and loser. That part always loses definition first.

On another note: I should have grabbed AG shampoo and conditioner when I saw it for BOGO 50% at Ulta. You can use coupons on AG because it's not a prestige brand too. I see it at JC Penny for free pick up and it's on sale plus they have a coupon. I'm contemplating it (even though I literally just put braids in).

faithVA

This morning. Looks good on the left bc it’s pulled back. Just worked out and sweated some. Now it looks like the right :lol:
I don't think you have a density issue. I think we have the same density. I think just working with your technique and products can give you the look you want. I found that I preferred a flat twist out over a twist out because I could make it look as full as I wanted.

Not coiling twist tightly can also give you a better twist out. I twist differently when I want to wear the twist versus doing a twist out. I never really had the length to get a good twist out unless I did a ton of twists.

20181106_090018.jpg

GettingKinky

I tried AG balance and boost since everyone in the DS seemed to love them, but I couldn’t tolerate the smell. They made my eyes water and my nose run. That was the only time I’ve ever returned a shampoo and conditioner.
So I was up late last night and decided to watch an IGTV of SilkedbySonnie and Chocolatecurlsbeauty. They spoke about dusty twistouts and how much density makes a difference in your twist outs. Sonnie showed an area of her hair compared to Aishia's hair to show the difference in coarseness. They brought up the illustration of using a marker compared to a pen.. if your twist is the size of a pen, then your twist out will look trash b/c it's too fine. I agree. They said when naturals always talk about juicy twists, it's b/c it's the thickness and density that is making the twist look juicy. I agree. I'm sure this offended plenty people, but ime and observation, it's 100000% true :lol:. Twist outs look amazing on high density hair. Most YouTubers with gorgeous twist outs regardless or curl pattern have A LOT of hair :think: :lol:

My twist out is trash. It comes out the same exact way every single time I use mousse. It's light, fluffy with no real structure or weight to it. When I did twist outs, I prefer a creamy type gel product.

Whew, I see how they offend many but I ain't lying if I say I didn't agree with every word they said in in that video.
that was the live that pissed me off. Before they taiked about twist outs Aishia made fun of a power point slide about butters and oils. The slide was made by someone who believes in their methods and there was nothing wrong with it. She just doesn’t like non-stylists sharing information. And Aishia was wrong about castor oil being used to lubricate engines. That’s how Castrol motor oil got their name.

toaster

I think the chickens are coming home to roost. My sister told me Aishia was complaining that non-stylists were hosting 30 day detox challenges without the “experience” to back it up.

Much of their information is now available for free on social media if you spend the time piecing it together.

I imagine most of their income comes from teaching other professionals, but as those first students start to teach others, they’ll need to pivot somehow.

Maybe they will make products? That’s what Anthony Dickey and the Deva lady did. They both had a curriculum, expanded to teach their method to the masses and professionals, and then they created a brand.

faithVA

I think the chickens are coming home to roost. My sister told me Aishia was complaining that non-stylists were hosting 30 day detox challenges without the “experience” to back it up.

Much of their information is now available for free on social media if you spend the time piecing it together.

I imagine most of their income comes from teaching other professionals, but as those first students start to teach others, they’ll need to pivot somehow.

Maybe they will make products? That’s what Anthony Dickey and the Deva lady did. They both had a curriculum, expanded to teach their method to the masses and professionals, and then they created a brand.

I joined the digital channel last year. It isn't like what they offer is personalized. I had to watch the videos and read through the documents and glean what I could. I have no problem with non-stylists doing the challenge because I think they actually help each other more than the professionals. They could have just as easily set up groups of 10 women and create a paid personalized detox program or imagine this, actually come into their own digital salon and talked with people who paid. Now that's an idea.

There are so many ways to make money. They will figure it out. This thing about I'm a professional and trained and no one knows what I know is so silly. I'm feeling like a rant is coming on but I'm not going to do it :lol:

GettingKinky

I joined the digital channel last year. It isn't like what they offer is personalized. I had to watch the videos and read through the documents and glean what I could. I have no problem with non-stylists doing the challenge because I think they actually help each other more than the professionals. They could have just as easily set up groups of 10 women and create a paid personalized detox program or imagine this, actually come into their own digital salon and talked with people who paid. Now that's an idea.

There are so many ways to make money. They will figure it out. This thing about I'm a professional and trained and no one knows what I know is so silly. I'm feeling like a rant is coming on but I'm not going to do it :lol:

I totally agree I’m sure I learned more from the other people in the digital salon than from the As. Once you learn the basics about shampoo types and the need to use lots of water with conditioner, the rest is practicing your technique. And I think other non-stylists can better understand the learning curve for doing your own hair.

Britt

I made it 35 minutes and couldn't take it anymore. My hair isn't dry but maybe it will be before bedtime.

I'm glad to get rid of the gray but I swear I'm tired of this in between length. Ok whine is done.

I think I needed more water. When I meet with my stylist I will ask her for some advice on getting a good gel/water balance

View attachment 470011
Very cute! I like it!

Britt

I think just a different product would help and rods on the ends. It looks nice a full to me. Twist outs require a learning curve just like wash and goes.
Thanks! I did flat twists all over. Twists are actually something I was really good at and did all the time I was natural lol. The wash n go's are what's new to me. I do know my hair does better with a cream or ideally a gel type cream for twists.

faithVA

@faithVA how dare you suggest they get involved in their own platform?!

You just typed a mouthful and you didn’t even give us your full on rant :lachen:
I know right. Invite me to your house and then hide out in the back room. :lol:

Yeah, I'm a ranter. My SO is always looking at me because I have a lot to say about stuff. Trying to hold my tongue before I reach that super old lady, don't know when to be quiet mode :rofl:

Britt

Oooooh, I heard her touch on that and I'm wondering who is she talking about :look: :lol:. I wanna know :rofl:
She was not pleased, she was like that's not how this works :lol:
Most of what I learned came from really learning from them but learning my hair. After you learn from them you still have to do the work yourself.

faithVA

Thanks! I did flat twists all over. Twists are actually something I was really good at and did all the time I was natural lol. The wash n go's are what's new to me. I do know my hair does better with a cream or ideally a gel type cream for twists.

OK. Makes sense. I think I'm confusing your twist out with a picture I saw on the FB curl page. Now I think her twist out is going to look sparse. :yep:

Britt

I tried AG balance and boost since everyone in the DS seemed to love them, but I couldn’t tolerate the smell. They made my eyes water and my nose run. That was the only time I’ve ever returned a shampoo and conditioner.

that was the live that pissed me off. Before they taiked about twist outs Aishia made fun of a power point slide about butters and oils. The slide was made by someone who believes in their methods and there was nothing wrong with it. She just doesn’t like non-stylists sharing information. And Aishia was wrong about castor oil being used to lubricate engines. That’s how Castrol motor oil got their name.
Ohhh! I haven't watched any of their lives in a minute! Last night I couldn't sleep and said let me watch what her and Sonnie got to say lol!
You're not the only to say that about AG I've heard others say that also. It's probably the essential oils in there. I honestly think there's tons of poo's and conditioners you can choose from that will work for you. I'm just stuck on their gels b/c I don't know of any other alternatives.

DVAntDany

It seems that “glasses” has modified her stance a bit. When I was in the DS I asked about washing every 2-3 days because I liked the way my hair looked with low hold stylers. She said would be too much manipulation, and I would risk hygral fatigue. I don’t really buy that because as she loves to say she used to be in the swim team and washed her hair everyday after practice. They are constantly changing their stance on things. But they are also so dogmatic. It drives me crazy.

They also used to be anti diffuser. I got a Dyson before they decided they liked the dyson, and they told me I should just get a hooded dryer. I knew I would never use a hooded dryer so I kept diffusing. Then maybe 5 months later they decided the dyson was the best thing since sliced bread.
After listening to their old podcasts and a good bit of their videos, I see that they mention they are willing to evolve their practices and products when it make sense. They do mention why they use to be anti diffuser and why they now are okay with the Dyson. It sounds a little similar to Jennifer’s reason. They need a user friendly product that clients can easily use in addition to great things they stand behind. They do say they are brand agnostic too.

She did preface her statement by saying she was going to get a little snarky. Basically if I don’t use products for hold, I won’t have a cast. If I don’t have any type of cast, then I more than likely will have a fro. She states nothing is wrong with a fro. It’s more so an issue of trying to have the best of both world and that’s probably not possible. That would require washing more frequently (intervals of 2 to 3 days), but she didn’t say anything was wrong with that.

I might need to look to Loulou next. I don’t want to pay $200 for a virtual consultation but she does promote leave-in as styler and gets the definition for most. LOL

To be honest, she wasn’t mean at all. I understand there can be chaos when too many voices are talking while she is the teacher. I think this See Some Curls course allows her to remove disruptive students who don’t want truly learn but instead do things their own way.

It looks like BGC’s goal is to teach us what our true hair feels like at its best. I can see it with the results of the AG shampoo and conditioner. My hair felt naked. :lol: Once we know what our true hair looks and feels like, then we can better asses our hair needs and future products. So the See Some Curls course is a continuation of the 30 day detox.

If by chance she was being facetious and I didn’t catch on, so be it. But she sounded pretty empathetic towards everyone’s questions.

DVAntDany

They just don’t sugar coat their words like you’d expect people in this profession to do. Just because the truth hurts doesn’t make it not true. So nothing they have said so far has truly offended me, but that could just be my personality. I agree with you and them on the twistouts too.

I caught the live of her moving and getting locked out. The importance of using a professional instead of trying to diy. I wholeheartedly agree with her and her first 10 mins of explanation. I didn’t watch beyond that. I’ve come to that point in my life too.

DVAntDany

I don't think you have a density issue. I think we have the same density. I think just working with your technique and products can give you the look you want. I found that I preferred a flat twist out over a twist out because I could make it look as full as I wanted.

Not coiling twist tightly can also give you a better twist out. I twist differently when I want to wear the twist versus doing a twist out. I never really had the length to get a good twist out unless I did a ton of twists.

View attachment 470049
*Edit: I totally did not read far enough. You are probably right. I never used foam for it either. I also never blowdried my hair straight and then twist like they suggest. At least you can confirm it doesn’t work for you. I still like it though.

I agree that flat twist outs give the style better direction than individual twists. I use to love these types of flat twistouts when I was transition for the millionth time a bazillion years ago.

Last edited:

DVAntDany

How far back do I have to go to see that one? I’ve mainly been watching both the A’s together. I really haven’t watched too many vids of Blondie by herself or without her better half.

GettingKinky

How far back do I have to go to see that one? I’ve mainly been watching both the A’s together. I really haven’t watched too many vids of Blondie by herself or without her better half.
“Her better half” :lachen: I much prefer Aeleise over Aisha she is definitely the better half.
The Aishia live wasn’t that long ago within the last 2 week. It’s her and Sonnie. She starts off picking on a slide about butters and oils and then goes on to talk about how you need dense coarse hair for twist outs.
I didn’t mind the second part. Although I’m sure it makes people with fine or low density hair feel a bit bad.

LavenderMint

I’ve continued trying the CurlSmith hair color gels. This week is “Rose Gold”. I had to remind myself that it’s supposed to be metallic and less “rosy”; my initial feelings would probably have been more positive if it were the other way around. Even with that, the color has definitely grown on me. Uneven coverage of the gel is much more noticeable to me with this color. Mr. Mint doesn’t mind the color but he doesn’t like my placement. He’s still asking for blue next. Little does he know I’ve found two more brands that do hair color gel. (And I’ve purposely chosen gels instead of the waxes because I do not have the time to be fooling around trying to wash out anything with waxy properties.)

91966895-B6EE-4829-86B6-2B7936C1D801.jpeg
(Top is wet, bottom left is around 15% damp, middle and right are the next day)

The other two options are As I Am and Gemini Naturals. I actually like their color options way better and may select a couple each from those to try later.

DVAntDany

I’d be curious to see what their price point would be. They blatantly state they aren’t loyal to any product line or brand. Would they expect their customers to do the same?