Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

EmmJaii

I had locs (75 medium size, not sister Locs) for about 3 years before going natural. I couldn’t figure out how to deal with my natural hair so figured locs were the next best thing. My hair started out at armpit length and got really long, like to my waist. My husband cut it into a shoulder length bob during quarantine because it was too heavy, especially when wet. The maintenance was easy because I had experience maintaining my brother and my 2 best friends locs in the past (none of us have locs now). I combed them out with the intent of relocking my hair into smaller locs, but saw my natural curl pattern and fell in love. I miss them from time to time, but dealing with my natural curls now is wayyy more gratifying. Idk anyone with sister locs but I agree they’re beautiful! My only concern would be the maintenance. I hate hairstyles I can’t maintain on my own, but you can probably learn.

EmmJaii

I came here to ask a question and got sidetracked with the Loc convo lol. I just tried the ecoslay orange marmalade and I’m IN LOVE. I had planned to top it with Jell-O shot if it didn’t have enough hold but it surprisingly weighed my hair down more than UFD! That said, I ended up with 2-3 small spots in the back of my hair that dried white from what I assume is using too much product (I’m heavy handed) and I’m not sure what to do about it... does that ever happen to you all? What do you do about it? I was thinking of maybe spraying water on it and trying to work the gel in? I’m scared of creating a frizzy spot tho

GettingKinky

I came here to ask a question and got sidetracked with the Loc convo lol. I just tried the ecoslay orange marmalade and I’m IN LOVE. I had planned to top it with Jell-O shot if it didn’t have enough hold but it surprisingly weighed my hair down more than UFD! That said, I ended up with 2-3 small spots in the back of my hair that dried white from what I assume is using too much product (I’m heavy handed) and I’m not sure what to do about it... does that ever happen to you all? What do you do about it? I was thinking of maybe spraying water on it and trying to work the gel in? I’m scared of creating a frizzy spot tho
I’ve been waiting for someone to compare Orange Marmalade to UFD!! I can’t wait to hear how it wears over the days.
Does it smell good? I really don’t like the way UFD smells - even if I have to admit it gives amazing results

faithVA

I don't know the solution. Instead of spraying water on it, I would take water in either my hand or a spoon and added to just that section to try to remove some of the product. There is something about spraying water that tends to cause frizz or droplets on the hair.

If you can put some water in your hand and then squish it into that section that may work.

EmmJaii

I’ve been waiting for someone to compare Orange Marmalade to UFD!! I can’t wait to hear how it wears over the days.
Does it smell good? I really don’t like the way UFD smells - even if I have to admit it gives amazing results
I’m iffy on the smell. It smells like oranges but with a slight chemically smell. Kind of how Jell-O shot smells like strawberries and chemicals. The cast is way crunchier with orange marmalade than UFD so I imagine it’ll last longer but I’ll keep y’all updated. My hair is still wet so I’ll try to remember to take a pic once dry and more as it wears.

LavenderMint

Tonight I started my hair around 7:30 :cry3:
Double shampoo with Aussie Moist because I’ve got a giant pump bottle and why not?
TPH Protein treatment gel mask. I know a lot of people did not like her line but this protein gel mask was effective, easy to use & quick. Loved it, glad I have another bottle & wish my Target still stocked it.
After rinsing the protein out, I literally just emulsified some Camille Rose conditioner custard in my hands, smoothed and squished it through and rinsed it out.

My hair looked AMAZING.
It stayed great through UFD application. I’m about to do my Aunt Jackie’s application of gel & come back to struggle staying awake under the dryer. I hope it looks as great as it did when it was wet.

toaster

Update on my once a week washing. This is day 6 and post 5 workouts. I think the keys for me this week were:

- wearing my buff when I was just hanging out at home
- wearing a pineapple while working out to keep my nape from getting super sweaty. I also think wearing the pineapple during my workouts (30 minutes to an hour) kept my hair stretched throughout the week, but didn’t make my hair stick up because it wasn’t up all night
- applying a lot of product during my set. You guys know I’m heavy handed with product anyway, but I made sure to really coat each strand

My hair doesn’t look perfect, but it is definitely wearable. Wash day tomorrow!

48C390A5-F4D5-49EE-BFA9-C03C6AC2C468.jpeg

faithVA

Tonight I started my hair around 7:30 :cry3:
Double shampoo with Aussie Moist because I’ve got a giant pump bottle and why not?
TPH Protein treatment gel mask. I know a lot of people did not like her line but this protein gel mask was effective, easy to use & quick. Loved it, glad I have another bottle & wish my Target still stocked it.
After rinsing the protein out, I literally just emulsified some Camille Rose conditioner custard in my hands, smoothed and squished it through and rinsed it out.

My hair looked AMAZING.
It stayed great through UFD application. I’m about to do my Aunt Jackie’s application of gel & come back to struggle staying awake under the dryer. I hope it looks as great as it did when it was wet.
I hope it turns out great.

faithVA

Update on my once a week washing. This is day 6 and post 5 workouts. I think the keys for me this week were:

- wearing a pineapple while working out to keep my nape from getting super sweaty. I also think wearing the pineapple during my workouts (30 minutes to an hour) kept my hair stretched throughout the week, but didn’t make my hair stick up because it wasn’t up all night
- applying a lot of product during my set. You guys know I’m heavy handed with product anyway, but I made sure to really coat each strand

View attachment 471195:
Your hair looks good to me. I've seen people's day 1 and 2 not look as good as your end of week hair.

GettingKinky

That’s amazing day 6 hair!!

Britt

Have any of you tried Giovanni's gel?
I like it as a topper. It will replace I Create Hold for me. I'm glad to find a cheaper topper that I like. What I like is that my hair feels more moist and moveable.
I followed up with some Trepadora, but instead of putting on each section, I just used it on the canopy at the end and smoothed through out my hair.

faithVA

Have any of you tried Giovanni's gel?
I like it as a topper. It will replace I Create Hold for me. I'm glad to find a cheaper topper that I like. What I like is that my hair feels more moist and moveable.
I followed up with some Trepadora, but instead of putting on each section, I just used it on the canopy at the end and smoothed through out my hair.
Interesting! I love things that I can find easily.

GettingKinky

@Britt I love your day 3 hair! I haven’t heard of Giovanni. I’m not even going to look because I don’t want to even consider buying anything else. I’m back to my plan of using all my stuff up (KCKT, ICH) so that I can just use UFD/jello shot.

I think you’re going to like ecoslay. I hope she’s able to stay in business, it makes me a little nervous that she makes everything by hand. If she ever scales up, I hope she doesn’t have to change her ingredients.

Britt

Thank you ladies :yep:
Interesting! I love things that I can find easily.
Yesss, I want products that I can get easily and more affordable.
@Britt I love your day 3 hair! I haven’t heard of Giovanni. I’m not even going to look because I don’t want to even consider buying anything else. I’m back to my plan of using all my stuff up (KCKT, ICH) so that I can just use UFD/jello shot.

I think you’re going to like ecoslay. I hope she’s able to stay in business, it makes me a little nervous that she makes everything by hand. If she ever scales up, I hope she doesn’t have to change her ingredients.
Yeahhh, I got her email that she makes everything in the kitchen and shipping is high. So many small businesses have gone out of business. I used to see Giovanni gel in Whole Foods forever b/c i used to buy their products. The texture is similar to ICH.
I like being able to have options in case things are reformulated or go out of business. What else do people use as a base gel?

toaster

Under the dryer after my wash day. Took 90 minutes to CCS. Definitely going to continue growing my hair out, but also reconsidering how long I ultimately want my hair to grow. I’d love a BSL wash and go, but the way my shrinkage is set up, that’s a lot of hair.

Going to research hair clips to get my hair off my neck during the summer that won’t mess up my wash and go.

EmmJaii

I completely forgot to post pics from my Orange Marmalade wash n go. It was SO defined and bouncy, but when I went to fluff it, I had a slight grey cast and flakes EVERYWHERE. That’s the same issue I had with my own homemade flaxseed gel and I haven’t been able to figure out how to avoid it. Since I couldn’t deal with the flaking, I just started over the next day with my usual UFD+ICH combo and my hair looks great (today is day 3). I’ve been CCSing every 2-3 days to try and rehydrate my hair since taking out my braids, and it seems to be working. My hair looks really good right now, defined, bouncy, and voluminous, so I’m going to go back to my 5 day interval.

faithVA

I completely forgot to post pics from my Orange Marmalade wash n go. It was SO defined and bouncy, but when I went to fluff it, I had a slight grey cast and flakes EVERYWHERE. That’s the same issue I had with my own homemade flaxseed gel and I haven’t been able to figure out how to avoid it. Since I couldn’t deal with the flaking, I just started over the next day with my usual UFD+ICH combo and my hair looks great (today is day 3). I’ve been CCSing every 2-3 days to try and rehydrate my hair since taking out my braids, and it seems to be working. My hair looks really good right now, defined, bouncy, and voluminous, so I’m going to go back to my 5 day interval.
I have that same issue. I cannot use flaxseed gel. It doesn't matter how heavy or light I go. It doesn't flake on my hair but it makes my hair look really dull and gray. It is like the aloe gel soaks into the hair but the flax gel sits on top.