Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

@colorful_coils have you tried applying the UFD in the shower and then the earthtones max gel out of the shower?

for some reason it works really well for me that way.

Other thoughts are the conditioner isn’t rinsed all the way or you’re using too much earthtones and not enough UFD.

On each 1/3 of my hair I use like 8’pumps from the liter sized UFD and maybe 6 nickel sizes of the earthtones gel. Way more UFD before applying earthtones.

toaster

I need my hair cut into a shape. Whenever I see pictures of myself with my hair down and curly, my first thought is that it’s so shapeless. It’s been 14 months now. I was waiting for the stylist near me to reopen, but I’m starting to think she may never reopen. :cry3::confused:
Ugh that sucks! Go get your shape! Do you have any backup stylists that you’ve spotted on Instagram? You’re in California, right? Are there a lot of curly stylists there?

GettingKinky

Ugh that sucks! Go get your shape! Do you have any backup stylists that you’ve spotted on Instagram? You’re in California, right? Are there a lot of curly stylists there?
I’ve seen a few others on IG at least 2 CIK and one non CIK. I’ll just have to drive an hour or 2. The one I’ve been stalking for the last 14 months is only 10 minutes away. But she’s super conservative about Covid and hasn’t said when she’s opening in again. I guess I need to drive a bit further I’m tired of waiting for her.
Or I could go back to the Deva place that did my first 2 cuts, but I think she cut too much off the crown so I’m not excited to go to her again.

faithVA

I’ve seen a few others on IG at least 2 CIK and one non CIK. I’ll just have to drive an hour or 2. The one I’ve been stalking for the last 14 months is only 10 minutes away. But she’s super conservative about Covid and hasn’t said when she’s opening in again. I guess I need to drive a bit further I’m tired of waiting for her.
Or I could go back to the Deva place that did my first 2 cuts, but I think she cut too much off the crown so I’m not excited to go to her again.
Can you shoot her an email or IM to see if she has any plans? Since many are getting vaccines, she might be close to ready.

faithVA

I've been looking at some new stylist as well. There is one close to me, maybe 15 minutes, I'm just not sure about here. She knows about CIK but she isn't a stylist. I think her cuts may be OK but I'm not sure about her products. She has her own product line. I keep looking at her head and I'm :perplexed:

There is another stylist in Raleigh, which is a few hours for me. Would just make it a nice long weekend. She is a CIK stylist and I think she does good work but her prices are a bit too much for me since it is unproven territory. Most of her plans include a cut and I just want a wash and go to see your work. I may need to email her and see if she will just do that. But she may be a bit too far for my regular stylist. I don't mind driving an hour but I'm not sure I want to drive 2 hours.

Then there is another stylist on the other side of town. She is not a CIK stylist. She is a devacurl. Her prices are reasonable. And I like from her IG that she won't cut if you tell her not to. But she doesn't do a lot of tightly coily hair, so not sure about that. And she has this new client questionnaire that it like a college entrance document :lol:

More than likely I will go back to my current stylist and have a talk with here. I think neither she nor I understood how my hair would grow out. I think on most people my cut would have grown out OK but because of my different curl patterns and my graying sides, I get this weird effect. My sides and back which she tapered as low as she could, appear to be longer than the rest of my hair :lol: It really doesn't make any sense.

Just talking through things

toaster

Aisha put the 30 day detox on yt. It is long. Going to watch it and see if I can add additional info to my arsenal. I think instead of saying "the real", they should just call it the Cut It Kinky 30 Day Hair Detox or something like that. :imo:

The Real 30 Day Hair Detox
Oooh I want to watch too!

I saw some YouTube videos suggested for me about “division in the natural hair world” and “who started no oils or butters.”

I didn’t watch them, but I guess “the real” is a reference to this drama?

They need a lawyer and a trademark. No one is calling themselves the “real” olaplex. It’s just... Olaplex. Or Devacurl. Or any other brand/method.

faithVA

Oooh I want to watch too!

I saw some YouTube videos suggested for me about “division in the natural hair world” and “who started no oils or butters.”

I didn’t watch them, but I guess “the real” is a reference to this drama?

They need a lawyer and a trademark. No one is calling themselves the “real” olaplex. It’s just... Olaplex. Or Devacurl. Or any other brand/method.

I don't know if it is worth watching. I'm not sure if they even talk about detox in this entire video. I watched the first 40 minutes then started scanning. This looked more like a PR move. :confused:

toaster

I should have known @faithVA

Speaking of cutting and new stylists. I’m going to try and get to late May/ early June and do a self trim.

Then in November or December I think I’ll go to Embrace Natural Beauty for a wash and go and have her trim my hair.

The only thing that gives me pause is she gets her hair cut my getting a press and a trim! Her curly cuts are beautiful on her clients, but if she doesn’t believe in them, why should I have her cut my hair. I don’t know.

I’m being too picky. Mona did a beautiful job cutting my hair and her hair is straight.

GettingKinky

I washed my hair this morning. I used the Briogeo Curl Charisma conditioner for the first time. It’s is definitely a thick and heavy conditioner. I feel like it may leave too much coating on my strands, but I’m going to use it a few more times before I make a final call.
I styled with Mousse Def and put my hair in a bun. I don’t know why I’m working so hard to have a great wash n go when I think I look best with my hair up
I think the problem when I wear my hair out is that too much of my hair falls forward and it looks unbalanced. I’m hoping a cut will fix it. Or maybe a stylist can show me a better way to part my hair.

F3CABCE4-1843-4E02-8B20-FF8F76B3C52B.jpeg

colorful_coils

Anyone tried Adwoa before? It's a black owned brand.
I've tried all their products. They're all staples for me, except for the gel (flakes on me) and the oil (I don't use oils anymore, but it was a nice, light one). All very moisturizing and the leave-in/cream give great definition.

Two things to be wary of:
  1. The deep conditioner has protein in it. I can still use it weekly because my hair loves protein, but I'd definitely recommend using it every other week if that's not the case for you.
  2. All the products have oil/butter in their first five ingredients or very high up. So if you follow the Black Girl Curls regimen, these products would be unapproved.

oneastrocurlie

I've tried all their products. They're all staples for me, except for the gel (flakes on me) and the oil (I don't use oils anymore, but it was a nice, light one). All very moisturizing and the leave-in/cream give great definition.

Two things to be wary of:
  1. The deep conditioner has protein in it. I can still use it weekly because my hair loves protein, but I'd definitely recommend using it every other week if that's not the case for you.
  2. All the products have oil/butter in their first five ingredients or very high up. So if you follow the Black Girl Curls regimen, these products would be unapproved.

Thanks for that. I do find I like protein conditioners. I'll have to take a look at the ingredients list again. I don't follow the their regimen but I did have a CR DC whose second ingredient was ghee butter and wasn't a fan. But ghee is sooo oily. Idk why you'd be that as a second ingredient in a DC.

faithVA

I washed my hair this morning. I used the Briogeo Curl Charisma conditioner for the first time. It’s is definitely a thick and heavy conditioner. I feel like it may leave too much coating on my strands, but I’m going to use it a few more times before I make a final call.
I styled with Mousse Def and put my hair in a bun. I don’t know why I’m working so hard to have a great wash n go when I think I look best with my hair up
I think the problem when I wear my hair out is that too much of my hair falls forward and it looks unbalanced. I’m hoping a cut will fix it. Or maybe a stylist can show me a better way to part my hair.

View attachment 471343
Looks good. If I had that much hair, this would be how I rocked it 5 out of 7 days :yep: