Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

sunshinebeautiful

Longer post, but I wanted to share: I did my younger family member’s hair yesterday after we went to the pool. I’m kicking myself for not taking a picture, because omg it was perfection. She has super dense 4c hair and wasn’t satisfied with her wash and goes. Her density is so beautiful, I’m so jealous :cry: one section of her hair is like my whole head. I coached her through UFD application in the shower and then raked through some wetline and sat her under my dryer. I also sent her home with a bottle of UFD, matrix shampoo and conditioner, and wetline so she could recreate it at home.

I think I might want to do hair as a summer side hustle, y’all (I teach). Playing in curls and coils is so much fun!! My husband is laughing at me thinking about getting a cosmetology license because a few years ago, I thought I wanted to do personal training during my summers so I have a license for that I don’t use. :look:

but seriously, doing her hair in a way that she has NEVER seen it was sooo satisfying. I need to think about it some more but I might be taking appointments 5 years from now. :lol:

I can relate. I don't want to do hair professionally lol but I have been dying to try to hydrate and define someone else's hair, particularly someone with longer hair than mine. I think it will come out sooooo cute but I haven't had anyone take me up on the offer just yet :lol:

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

Do you wait at all between application of UFD and Jell-O shot? When I use it right after UFD, my hair is still really wet, so it seems to undo the strong hold of the Jell-O shot. I tried waiting 30 mins after UFD, but the Jell-O shot was still not holding as strongly. Can’t figure it out.

Hmmm.... I assumed it was the humidity that was undoing the strong hold I used to get months ago from Jello Shot, but yeah, IDK

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The My curls gel has some heavy weight to it. I used it as a topper but next time I will try it by itself. I used Curl Origin Pink Superfruits weightless gel underneath.

if you’re looking for an affordable moisturizing line. Keracare Curl essence is highly moisturizing and affordable. I like the whole lineup minus the oil and coco spray because I never bought them. Affordable and it works.
I used the shampoo and conditioner.

faithVA

Hmmm.... I assumed it was the humidity that was undoing the strong hold I used to get months ago from Jello Shot, but yeah, IDK
It could be humidity. Do you have strong hold when you come from under the dryer? And it holds until you go outside?

If it is humidity, you may need a non botanical topper that helps with humidity; trepadora is one. Jello shot is botanical so it will suck up water.

faithVA

The My curls gel has some heavy weight to it. I used it as a topper but next time I will try it by itself. I used Curl Origin Pink Superfruits weightless gel underneath.

if you’re looking for an affordable moisturizing line. Keracare Curl essence is highly moisturizing and affordable. I like the whole lineup minus the oil and coco spray because I never bought them. Affordable and it works.
I used the shampoo and conditioner.
Thanks for that tip. Definitely need something available on the ground.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I got a picture of my family member’s hair to share. She got an unasked-for layered cut during her last silk press and you can kind of see it, but overall, I don’t think the shape is too bad at all.

I love her hair so much. if I had this density and nice coarse strands, you wouldn’t be able to tell me nothing lol. 25C8C20D-0710-42BB-B7D4-9DC7348D050D.jpeg

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Another picture to track progress—I needed to be sure that wash and go’s were not derailing length retention, which is my goal this year. Happy to report that it seems things are moving along fine. Tonight’s pic was taken by DH and he used some flash, but I think it’s a decent comparison. I also did a classic hair board pose snap with arms akimbo.

it’s not groundbreaking, earth shattering unicorn growth, but I will surely take it for this fine stranded head of mine. I got a very light trim today (asked for 1/8th of an inch) and I resisted the urge to tell her to make it fully even. Going to continue moving along with the wash and go as my primary style and cut down experimentation (manipulation) now that I know how to do a solid wash and go. If I end the year at the 3 line after a trim, I’ll be satisfied. 23A19953-62C9-4045-8DF8-CD15C712FFC6.jpeg
F26CCAA5-D2B0-44BD-823C-FDFEBAF571C2.jpeg

faithVA

I got a picture of my family member’s hair to share. She got an unasked-for layered cut during her last silk press and you can kind of see it, but overall, I don’t think the shape is too bad at all.

I love her hair so much. if I had this density and nice coarse strands, you wouldn’t be able to tell me nothing lol. View attachment 474415
Very nice. Do you think she will do it again?

faithVA

Another picture to track progress—I needed to be sure that wash and go’s were not derailing length retention, which is my goal this year. Happy to report that it seems things are moving along fine. Tonight’s pic was taken by DH and he used some flash, but I think it’s a decent comparison. I also did a classic hair board pose snap with arms akimbo.

it’s not groundbreaking, earth shattering unicorn growth, but I will surely take it for this fine stranded head of mine. I got a very light trim today (asked for 1/8th of an inch) and I resisted the urge to tell her to make it fully even. Going to continue moving along with the wash and go as my primary style and cut down experimentation (manipulation) now that I know how to do a solid wash and go. If I end the year at the 3 line after a trim, I’ll be satisfied. View attachment 474417
View attachment 474419
Looks great and it looks healthy. With the additional inches, has it changed your wash and go any?

faithVA

@faithVA Let’s go ahead and stay angry for 2 years :lachen:

December 2020 pre cut (Day 1 hair) - December 2020 post cut (Day 3 hair) - July 2021 (Day 5 hair)View attachment 474439
I just don't even understand. I could have given you a nice U-cut because it already looked good. It just needed to be touched up.

Makes me want to find a sharpie and just draw emoticons on their face. I'm just so confused by the whole thing.

toaster

@GettingKinky no, I never reached out to Mona! I was (and still am) so angry about it I don’t think I could really get my point across without bursting into tears.

What bothers me the most is that’s it’s still SO wonky. Short in the front and a random long piece in the back.

It’s going to take a long time for my front to catch up, but I’m trying to focus on the positives and that you can’t see my neck anymore from the back.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky no, I never reached out to Mona! I was (and still am) so angry about it I don’t think I could really get my point across without bursting into tears.

What bothers me the most is that’s it’s still SO wonky. Short in the front and a random long piece in the back.

It’s going to take a long time for my front to catch up, but I’m trying to focus on the positives and that you can’t see my neck anymore from the back.
Maybe you could send her an email with pictures. This is just so wrong, she needs to know about it. Your hair is growing back quickly, but I would be angry too, he took away length for NO reason and it is costing you time to get it back.

faithVA

We definitely don't want you more upset. She does need to know but you also need to go at a pace where you are ready to address it.

You have gotten some decent length back.

toaster

@GettingKinky @faithVA i definitely plan to reach out to mona at some point. I really wish she had a Yelp page so I could post my pics and be done with the situation.

Honestly moving from Chicago to New York has made finding hair stylists and nail technicians so difficult. Everyone here works with “celebrities” and is therefore never available for their “regular” clients.

My nail technician refuses to post her availability for August. It’s July 27. She’s going to see me in someone else’s chair at the salon soon, and I won’t even feel guilty about it.

I am happy to have found Abena. She’s not conveniently located but at least her booking practices and trims make sense.

sunshinebeautiful

I started a new job this week. My hair looked so cute for Orientation Day and then on the campus tour it started raining, so my hair got wet :(

I was also excited because when I took my new work ID pic I could tell my hair has grown since my cut back in April.

It's Wednesday now and my hair was a hot frizzy mess this morning, so I hopped in the shower for a super quick WNG before work. I'm sitting under the dryer to hopefully at least get the outside dry before jetting off to work in a few.

faithVA

I started a new job this week. My hair looked so cute for Orientation Day and then on the campus tour it started raining, so my hair got wet :(

I was also excited because when I took my new work ID pic I could tell my hair has grown since my cut back in April.

It's Wednesday now and my hair was a hot frizzy mess this morning, so I hopped in the shower for a super quick WNG before work. I'm sitting under the dryer to hopefully at least get the outside dry before jetting off to work in a few.
Congratulations on the job and :yay: for cuteness. :congrats: