Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

This is day 5 and it has only lasted this long because I literally did not touch my hair for 5 days. I put the buff on and took it off. But even with that it is just barely hanging on. I'm going out to dinner so I tried to fluff it but it is in that fragile state where if you pull too hard it just turns into a fro. So going to leave the house with it looking lopsided :lol: :ohwell:

I need to get myself up early tomorrow and reset so I can put some moisture back in my hair.

sunshinebeautiful

It's Wednesday now and my hair was a hot frizzy mess this morning, so I hopped in the shower for a super quick WNG before work. I'm sitting under the dryer to hopefully at least get the outside dry before jetting off to work in a few.

The super quick morning WNG worked out! I got antsy after sitting under the dryer for 20 minutes and got up. My hair was mostly dry by lunch time. Good to know I can pull off a quick style, if needed, before work.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I did some laps today for my workout, so I had to reset. I tried UFD and mousse def again, because the last time I tried it, I used too much UFD and ended up with a sticky mess. Today, though? I love it! Nice shine and volume for day one.

Only about 4-5 pumps of UFD per side in the shower. Came out, moisturized my skin and face, then applied mousse def in smaller sections once my hair was more damp than wet. That mousse doesn’t love soaking wet hair. I’m curious how it will hold up in the 90 degrees of the next few days.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I am slowly inching to commit myself to keeping my beloved cheap plastic gels away (that darn wetline is the goat) from my hair for 30 days...that is the one thing that I am doing that is not detox approved.

I am just curious to see if my hair can get even more hydrated without them. Can it really get better than this? I might make that my September personal challenge. I’ll need to have at least one detox approved topper on hand first. Might order Jell-O shot and try it....

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Since I rarely straighten my hair I used to worry
That my hair wasnt retaining. And for me, heat used to be just a blow out. With my density and fine strands I was not amused.

The pull test is misleading. I had to actually have someone pull my hair down while it was blown out to get an accurate length check.

Now I’m of the mind frame that I don’t use heat other than to set or steam my hair. Eventually I’ll wind up sister loc’n once I tired of playing in it.

Attachments

• 03A8292C-0F48-45B6-A64C-43BCD0CB4019.jpeg
    03A8292C-0F48-45B6-A64C-43BCD0CB4019.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

faithVA

I am slowly inching to commit myself to keeping my beloved cheap plastic gels away (that darn wetline is the goat) from my hair for 30 days...that is the one thing that I am doing that is not detox approved.

I am just curious to see if my hair can get even more hydrated without them. Can it really get better than this? I might make that my September personal challenge. I’ll need to have at least one detox approved topper on hand first. Might order Jell-O shot and try it....
From my understanding they recommend the gels they do because they can be shampooed out without harsh shampoos and/or frequent clarifying. With more botanical gels you can regularly use moisturizing shampoos and all-purpose shampoos without having to use the almost clarifying and strong shampoos. It isn't so much about the styling product but about the shampoos required to sufficiently remove the styling product from your hair.

What type of shampoo are you using after the wetline? Is it moisturizing, all-purpose or almost clarifying? And how often do you have to clarify when you use the non-botanical gels? If you aren't changing your shampoo regimen, I wouldn't worry to much about the gel. :imo:

faithVA

I see your growth @Bette Davis Eyes !

shrinkage is deceiving. We grow five inches and our hair hangs down one more
Since I rarely straighten my hair I used to worry
That my hair wasnt retaining. And for me, heat used to be just a blow out. With my density and fine strands I was not amused.

The pull test is misleading. I had to actually have someone pull my hair down while it was blown out to get an accurate length check.

Now I’m of the mind frame that I don’t use heat other than to set or steam my hair. Eventually I’ll wind up sister loc’n once I tired of playing in it.
Wow! That's all I got

faithVA

Reset my hair before work today. I did 4 pumps of UFD, water, 3 pumps of UFD, water and random amount of Jello Shot and water. I didn't do my hair in sections this time, which I like. It was easier. I may next time and do 1 pump for section for the first pass. 3 to 4 pumps is about 1/2 tablespoon. So I use about 1 oz of UFD per shampoo. I think that is sufficient.

I'm using too much water. I'm not able to gauge when it is enough. She showed me what heavy was but it wasn't what I thought it was. I'm going to have to practice trying to duplicate that. Next wash I'm going to put 1/2 T of water on each section and see how that works. And with each application of water do a little less. hmm, I should use a teaspoon, start there and then reduce it with each layer.

Anyway, I applied all of the gel in the shower and then let it sit while I did whatever. Then I went through and shingled and smoothed. Not sure how long that took me. I did the vigorous shake and I can tell by the shake that there is too much water to let the curls clump well. I'm not going to sit under the dryer. I will diffuse it later today if it hasn't dried by the end of day.

But the shampoo, condition, gel application took me less than 30 minutes. And that works for me.

I think this is a good starting point and it is faster. I may be more willing to do it mid-week since it is faster.

faithVA

When I first started detoxing, I was using Redken Cleansing Conditioner which I liked. It was gentle and it was something I could use mid-week. But since being on this journey, I have stopped using any type of creamy cleanser even if it is a shampoo. I have found that my hair doesn't like the residue of the creamy cleansers. Now if I want to do a mid-week reset I will just shampoo once with my moisturizing shampoo or just rinse and reset. It seems to turn out better. This has helped me reduce my product collection.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
From my understanding they recommend the gels they do because they can be shampooed out without harsh shampoos and/or frequent clarifying. With more botanical gels you can regularly use moisturizing shampoos and all-purpose shampoos without having to use the almost clarifying and strong shampoos. It isn't so much about the styling product but about the shampoos required to sufficiently remove the styling product from your hair.

What type of shampoo are you using after the wetline? Is it moisturizing, all-purpose or almost clarifying? And how often do you have to clarify when you use the non-botanical gels? If you aren't changing your shampoo regimen, I wouldn't worry to much about the gel. :imo:
I am primarily using Redken, which is a moisturizing shampoo but has sulfates. I also use Ultra Swim every two weeks or so after I swim, which would be considered chelating. I feel that I’ve only needed to clarify every two months or even less than that.

I appreciate that insight. I do like a good strong sulfate shampoo with lots of suds :lol: so maybe I am fine.

Side note: I tried to find a good salon quality clear sulfate shampoo that was NOT pearly (which typically indicates more moisture) to use as my all-purpose in TJ Maxx the other day, and I was not successful. The market seems to have shifted to focus primarily on moisturizing shampoos, which is interesting. All of them indicate “hydrating” and “moisturizing”.

Last edited:

toaster

@Rocky91 the AG balance shampoo is sulfate free and it suds a ton! I can’t speak to whether it would cut through plastic gels though.

What surprised me is how much my innersense moisturizing shampoo suds when I apply it on hair that’s already been shampoo’d with the AG. I thought because it was moisturizing it wouldn’t suds up.

Actually, my hair was just dirty. Who knew lol

GettingKinky

@Rocky91 the AG balance shampoo is sulfate free and it suds a ton! I can’t speak to whether it would cut through plastic gels though.

What surprised me is how much my innersense moisturizing shampoo suds when I apply it on hair that’s already been shampoo’d with the AG. I thought because it was moisturizing it wouldn’t suds up.

Actually, my hair was just dirty. Who knew lol
My moisture shampoo suds up a lot too. I’ve never used as my first shampoo but for sure as a second poo it suds up a lot.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky I went to Aishia’s page after @Bette Davis Eyes random thoughts post, and caught her live.

Did you pay a model fee when you were a model for them? She mentioned she charges a fee now if you’re the model in their classes.
I did pay a model fee. It was at least $100. I feel like I should have gotten a better haircut after paying that much. But they has soooo many models and by the time they started cutting my hair (after washing/styling/drying) it was already close to 6pm so I think they rushed a little.