Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

DVAntDany

I decided to CCS this morning because rain and farm work took a toll on the front of my hair. I decided to pull out Miss Jessie’s Honey Curls. It’s a nice one and done wng styler.

I should have known from the name, it was going to be thick like honey. This product lacks slip. I had way better definition and less drying time in areas I used less water. For my hair this needs a leave-in.

In 15 mins of heated drying, I was about 75% dry. Everywhere it air dried is soft. Everything that dried under the hooded dryer has a firm flexible hold. It didn’t feel too different from the UFD+ICH+PS combo.

I’ve determined it’s my tabletop hooded dryer that’s causing the flatness on top. I made sure to do all the steps discussed in my last hair appointment. It looked nice before I went under. I probably need to make adjustments to the height. Even though I can feel room, my head may be too close to the top. It also refuses to dry the sides of my heads.

I didn’t want to leave out with the top part flattened to my head. So I blasted it with the blow dryer. It caused some frizz on the wet sides. Even though those areas are a little fluffy not frizzy, the hair still has a nice gloss. How did I forget to first mention this product produces a nice shiny finish?

With some tweaks, this might be what I’m looking for. It has the potential to be softer, give definition and still have shine. That’s hard to come by. This was far easier to apply to my damp hair than Jelly Soft Curls.

DVAntDany

@DVAntDany I’m loving all your product reviews.

One day - in the very distant future- I may want to have a one product wash n go. But for now I’m going to stick with my tried and true (and very heavily stocked) stash.
Ah, thanks. I’m glad most products I’ve tried haven’t been complete fails. So, I don’t too feel bad trying everything out there. I’m trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

But I hope to soon find my tried and true products like you. I’m hoping to gain an idea of the ingredients and product types I like. This way I’m not aimless trying everything because a beloved product is discontinued, reformulated, or out of stock.

OhTall1

Focus of last night's wash was getting rid of the grays. Hair's looking a bit frizzy on top. C/P from another thread:

Wella demi permanent color 3N with Olaplex steps 1 and 2
Olaplex shampoo and conditioner
WNG with CRN honey hydrate leave in, marula oil and CRN curl maker gel

faithVA

I'm not doing wash and goes but I'm still using gel. I have a bad habit of putting small amounts of product in a jar and then not knowing what they are or what they are for. I'm thinking one of these products is a gel. :perplexed: But I have been using various gels for my twist for the past few months. And I can say without a double KKNT with the gel last the best and keeps my hair feeling soft. When I take my twist out my hair still fees soft and moisturized. When I do go back to wash and goes I will be trying this combination for my base. And then use the rest of the products for my toppers to see how that goes.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Any one know how to prevent flaking or how to reduce the look of them if your gel does flake?

This wash and go is holding up but I can see flakes forming in the front. I don't want to wash my hair yet but the flakes look bad

DVAntDany

Any one know how to prevent flaking or how to reduce the look of them if your gel does flake?

This wash and go is holding up but I can see flakes forming in the front. I don't want to wash my hair yet but the flakes look bad
What gel are you using again? I know xanthan gum can easily flake. I hear adding oil takes away the snow. Maybe spritzing warm water over the flakes can help. I don’t know anything else besides washing it out and starting all over.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What gel are you using again? I know xanthan gum can easily flake. I hear adding oil takes away the snow. Maybe spritzing warm water over the flakes can help. I don’t know anything else besides washing it out and starting all over.
For this wash n go I used the African pride max hold gel and topped it with wet line xtreme gel. I used ORS max moisture leave in. Maybe I used too much gel and not enough water. Idk I'm still experimenting with products

I ended up spraying ny hair with a shine glossing spray which helped alot but now my hair is oily lol. It seems like I will have to bi weekly wash or something. I really want that elusive 7+ day wash n go

GettingKinky

I was trying to be leisurely today, but it only took me 1:01 from get in the shower to ready to leave the house.
I somehow saved time on my shampoo, condition, detangle step. I think my hair is easier to detangle with the Briogeo conditioner than the color radiance conditioner.
Here’s my break down today

0:13 shampoo 2x, condition, detangle
0:05 wash body & face, rinse conditioner
0:16 apply UFD and jello shot, rake and smooth
0:06 rinse out shower dry off, part hair apply inner peace
0:12 diffuse
0:12 apply face products, brush teeth, get dressed, makeup

Last edited:

DVAntDany

Have you all ever used a Sprite shower filter head? I have one that been up there for years and I’ve never changed the filter. Lol I bought the filter cartridge but I can’t seem to open it. I watched a short video on how to do it and read the instruction manual. Both a very generic and not very helpful.

My stylist said that if I start using a filter she will switch from the chelating and detox packet treatment to the shampoo.

GGsKin

Abena seems to have reached the acceptance stage of grief about her haircut.

I know it isn’t what she wanted, but I think it looks cute.
I saw that. I think the fullness she is able to achieve with her wng now, is what she was looking for. While it looks good on her, I still don't like the disconnect at this stage. Someone called it 'The Rachel' but on curly hair. She definitely has unicorn hair that looks great no matter what.

GGsKin

Have you all ever used a Sprite shower filter head? I have one that been up there for years and I’ve never changed the filter. Lol I bought the filter cartridge but I can’t seem to open it. I watched a short video on how to do it and read the instruction manual. Both a very generic and not very helpful.

My stylist said that if I start using a filter she will switch from the chelating and detox packet treatment to the shampoo.
For about 6 years, I've use the ones with the tube cartridges that fit inside the shower head.

DVAntDany

For about 6 years, I've use the ones with the tube cartridges that fit inside the shower head.
So you know what I'm talking about. Now, how on earth do I open the back of the shower head? I can't seem to untwist the back portion. I was going to purchase a new shower head when I went to Home Depot, but they only carried the filter cartridges.

GGsKin

So you know what I'm talking about. Now, how on earth do I open the back of the shower head? I can't seem to untwist the back portion. I was going to purchase a new shower head when I went to Home Depot, but they only carried the filter cartridges.

Mine is also a bit of a stiff one. Thankfully, a strong grip of the actual shower head, and a twist of the body (that houses the cartridge) clockwise, usually does the trick.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
My last wash n go with ORS max moisture leave in, African pride max hold gel and wetline xtreme gel in green flaked so bad it was truly amazing. I had big green flakes all over my hair by day 4. I stretched it to day 5 because I stayed in. My hair looked terrible by day 5 too.

I tried to wash n go twice in one day today and it was a no go. I woke up early and washed and deep conditioned my hair. I towel dried my hair and used my leche de cabra leave in. Ecostyler super olive gel was my styler. I used this combo sucessfully before and it lasted 5 days. After sitting under the dryer for 1.5 hours I noticed I had big clear-ish flakes in my hair. I was really annoyed because I just spent a long time on my hair.:hair:

So I wet it down with water and applied more ors max moisture leave in and hoped that if I used more water and conditioner in my hair it would prevent the flaking. I also shingled my hair for more definition. I diffused it with my dyson and dried clear. I noticed some parts had little white balls forming. I think I added too much leave in.

Frustrated with everything I gave up and slicked my hair into a bun and called it a day. I'll try again next week. Hopefully this bun can last me a week but I doubt it. I'll probably get 3 days out of it.

I'm super annoyed with my hair right now.:angry2:

DVAntDany

I went ahead and scheduled a virtual consultation with Lou for next week. I didn’t realize her personal page was more informative than her salon page. After watching some old recorded lives, I agree with her philosophy even more. I’m really interested in learning how she would approach her technique for my hair.

Before I continue testing products for my touchable soft curls, I need to get my technique down pat. What I learned from BGC, HydraBar Salon and affiliates is a wng with a flexible hold. I associate the flexible hold to being as soft as a vinyl baby doll is to real baby skin.

I have a problem with losing curl definition after the conditioner detangling stage. I feel this is causing me to rely too much on strong hold and heavy products to achieve the curl definition I’m after. I’m hoping her technique will solve my little 1st world problem.

Don’t worry. I’ll won’t be throwing out everything I’ve learned thus far. I’ll still have days where I need quickly CCS hair with longevity.

DVAntDany

My last wash n go with ORS max moisture leave in, African pride max hold gel and wetline xtreme gel in green flaked so bad it was truly amazing. I had big green flakes all over my hair by day 4. I stretched it to day 5 because I stayed in. My hair looked terrible by day 5 too.

I tried to wash n go twice in one day today and it was a no go. I woke up early and washed and deep conditioned my hair. I towel dried my hair and used my leche de cabra leave in. Ecostyler super olive gel was my styler. I used this combo sucessfully before and it lasted 5 days. After sitting under the dryer for 1.5 hours I noticed I had big clear-ish flakes in my hair. I was really annoyed because I just spent a long time on my hair.:hair:

So I wet it down with water and applied more ors max moisture leave in and hoped that if I used more water and conditioner in my hair it would prevent the flaking. I also shingled my hair for more definition. I diffused it with my dyson and dried clear. I noticed some parts had little white balls forming. I think I added too much leave in.

Frustrated with everything I gave up and slicked my hair into a bun and called it a day. I'll try again next week. Hopefully this bun can last me a week but I doubt it. I'll probably get 3 days out of it.

I'm super annoyed with my hair right now.:angry2:
Maybe it’s the leave-in causing the problem. I’ve heard that even the cream leave-in for the Moisture Miracle line doesn’t work with those gels. Just the spray and the detangling milk. I’ve only ever used UFD and the detangling milk under one of the gels. All the other times has been gel alone.

Do you have anything else to use for next week?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Maybe it’s the leave-in causing the problem. I’ve heard that even the cream leave-in for the Moisture Miracle line doesn’t work with those gels. Just the spray and the detangling milk. I’ve only ever used UFD and the detangling milk under one of the gels. All the other times has been gel alone.

Do you have anything else to use for next week?
I just recently bought a bottle of Camille rose coconut water leave in treatment that I am hoping to try out next week. I might have to buy a bottle of UFD. I don't like it but it might work under gels better than a leave in conditioner.

DVAntDany

I just recently bought a bottle of Camille rose coconut water leave in treatment that I am hoping to try out next week. I might have to buy a bottle of UFD. I don't like it but it might work under gels better than a leave in conditioner.
Don’t put more money towards anything else until you invest it in Jell-O shot or something with long lasting strong hold that won’t flake. Lol

sunshinebeautiful

For this wash n go I used the African pride max hold gel and topped it with wet line xtreme gel. I used ORS max moisture leave in. Maybe I used too much gel and not enough water. Idk I'm still experimenting with products

I ended up spraying ny hair with a shine glossing spray which helped alot but now my hair is oily lol. It seems like I will have to bi weekly wash or something. I really want that elusive 7+ day wash n go

I've never used this combo but if I use too much Wetline it will flake on me

sunshinebeautiful

I went for my 2nd appointment at HydraBar Salon. I was supposed to go in July, but I moved out of town to start a new job. I drove back to make the appointment this weekend. Different stylist than last time.

Here's how you know you have crazy shrinkage. Both time I went each stylist spontaneously commented on how much my hair shrinks up. How I wish I could keep some of that hang time when dry. :perplexed:

She clarified, shampooed, put me under the steamer with the conditioner, and applied Nurture to my hair. One thing I noticed - she used quite a bit more than when I do my own application at home. IDK how to describe this, but although my hair is now completely dry it feels like it's way more "hydrated" than usual.

There's a 5 month difference between my first and second appointments - but aside from the fact that my taper has grown out in the back and my hair hangs a bit more over my ears, it looks like there's not much difference. My ends still looked pretty good, so there was not much trimming to do. Thankfully.

I still have a LOT of growing out to do before I get to my desired look in my inspiration photo. My shortest length is in the front - I want to grow it out to fill in the "holes" and match up with the length in the back. I'll be at this for awhile.

Left = April 28; Right = September 25

HAIR.jpg

oneastrocurlie

I went for my 2nd appointment at HydraBar Salon. I was supposed to go in July, but I moved out of town to start a new job. I drove back to make the appointment this weekend. Different stylist than last time.

Here's how you know you have crazy shrinkage. Both time I went each stylist spontaneously commented on how much my hair shrinks up. How I wish I could keep some of that hang time when dry. :perplexed:

She clarified, shampooed, put me under the steamer with the conditioner, and applied Nurture to my hair. One thing I noticed - she used quite a bit more than when I do my own application at home. IDK how to describe this, but although my hair is now completely dry it feels like it's way more "hydrated" than usual.

There's a 5 month difference between my first and second appointments - but aside from the fact that my taper has grown out in the back and my hair hangs a bit more over my ears, it looks like there's not much difference. My ends still looked pretty good, so there was not much trimming to do. Thankfully.

I still have a LOT of growing out to do before I get to my desired look in my inspiration photo. My shortest length is in the front - I want to grow it out to fill in the "holes" and match up with the length in the back. I'll be at this for awhile.

View attachment 476103

Love your hair! I totally feel you with the shrinkage. My pics month over month don't really look too different. Growth is mostly noticeable at my nape due to a taper and around my ears too.

DVAntDany

View attachment 476103
Looking good. You can definitely see the growth on the sides.

Are you doing the shower brush technique when styling at home? I can do it on others, but have a hard time on myself.