Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

Thanks for that update. I keep forgetting it is just leave-in. With that thought, maybe I will try it this week. Then I can finish up next week. I will think about it.
I’m trying to think about what leave in I would use! I guess UFD doesn’t really count as a leave in?

Doesn’t olaplex have a leave in? I like their products. But I wouldn’t use it if there are silicones.

faithVA

I’m trying to think about what leave in I would use! I guess UFD doesn’t really count as a leave in?

Doesn’t olaplex have a leave in? I like their products. But I wouldn’t use it if there are silicones.
No, UFD wouldn't count. Your hair is so consistent though and last so long, I'm thinking your hair is already super hydrated. Not sure what benefit you would get from it.

I have TGIN leave-in and will try that. I need to pick up some more conditioner though. Fortunately, I have a Ulta gift card which I need to use. Will pick up another bottle of Madison Reed and see if there is something else comparable at Ulta.

I was going to wash my hair tomorrow anyway so I will at least do day 1.

toaster

No, UFD wouldn't count. Your hair is so consistent though and last so long, I'm thinking your hair is already super hydrated. Not sure what benefit you would get from it.

I have TGIN leave-in and will try that. I need to pick up some more conditioner though. Fortunately, I have a Ulta gift card which I need to use. Will pick up another bottle of Madison Reed and see if there is something else comparable at Ulta.

I was going to wash my hair tomorrow anyway so I will at least do day 1.
Yeah when I sent the challenge to my mom she said it reminds her of when I used to wet bun. Soak my hair with water. Apply conditioner. Rinse. Apply conditioner as a leave in. Bun. Repeat the next day.

I’m interested to see if after a week my wash and go’s look different OR if I could get a decent style for 1 day with a leave in only. If so, I could wash my hair more frequently on vacations or if I wanted to swim more, and I’d be comfortable.

With my hair currently the process takes so long I don’t feel like I can get my hair wet during the week. Almost like I have a press.

faithVA

Yeah when I sent the challenge to my mom she said it reminds her of when I used to wet bun. Soak my hair with water. Apply conditioner. Rinse. Apply conditioner as a leave in. Bun. Repeat the next day.

I’m interested to see if after a week my wash and go’s look different OR if I could get a decent style for 1 day with a leave in only. If so, I could wash my hair more frequently on vacations or if I wanted to swim more, and I’d be comfortable.

With my hair currently the process takes so long I don’t feel like I can get my hair wet during the week. Almost like I have a press.
Ok that makes sense. Your hair always looks so great I easily forget that you may have things you want to achieve as well.

faithVA

OK. @GettingKinky made me do it :lol:

I was washing my hair today anyway and I'm off so why not. I did modify it some because I always have to make things work for me.

Since I had heat protectant on my hair I shampooed first with TGIN almost clarifying and then followed it with my moisturizing shampoo. Water wasn't really going to get through the heat protectant.

Then I rinsed for 5 minutes. That wasn't too bad because I usually spend a good amount of time rinsing, detangling, etc. My hair always looks great after shampooing.

I deep conditioned with TGIN. The instructions set let it sit up to 25 minutes with heat. I just put on a plastic cap and a turban and ate breakfast.

Jumped back in the shower, rinsed.

Applied my Madison Reed Conditioner. I spent most of the 3 minutes smoothing and detangling. I need to check how long they said it should sit.

I rinsed. My hair is wet at this step but I wouldn't say it is soaking wet. My hair doesn't hold water very well.

I applied my TGIN leave-in. I added a little water here because product was just sitting on my hair.

Then I shook a little. It doesn't look too bad considering it is just leave-in.

As far as days 2 to 7, I'm going to have to think about that 10 minutes. I don't have 10 minutes of hot water. I may need to do a 5 and 5. We shall see.

One thing I had forgotten is how much my scalp loves more frequent water.

Day 1
20211229_104232.jpg20211229_104253.jpg20211229_104315.jpg20211229_104333.jpg

Last edited:

LavenderMint

…I just jump in & out of here all the time. :look:
It’s been a rough school year already and made me realize that when I’m stressed, the first things to go are my self-care routines that I usually enjoy.

So, it’s been a while! I (mostly) kept to my schedule of weekly washing but I stopped wearing my wng by October. Last week, I went back to wng & use the CurlSmith gel.
New lesson learned: the BLUE gel is fine in the front of my hair with two coats but the RED was a disaster. I used it on Tuesday & washed it out with regular shampoo on Monday night after enduring a couple days of red crumbs falling everywhere.

Attempted to wash it out.

I washed that section 3 or 4 times & STILL couldn’t get it all out. This stuff seems to have bonded to my hair strands or something. It has the unholy staying power of glitter.
Eventually, I gave up & just styled my hair with the Kinky Curky system. Gave me a nice fluffy but defined wng. I’ll be washing again tomorrow & using Kinky Curly Come Clean, hopefully with better results.

faithVA

I'm gonna do this hydration method one day but my modification would be have my head immersed in my bath water for the allotted time

I feel some kind of way just letting the water run down the drain rinsing my hair. I already waste so much water on a regular day.
I think that is a great idea.

I tried something similar last year but couldn't make it work. I think I need a bigger tub. I tried putting my head also in a large plastic bin. In my mind it worked but not in real life. I tried putting my head in the sink but couldn't get the front and back in at the same time. Then I tried something crazy that I won't mention :lol: Maybe something else will come to me.

GettingKinky

I totally get this. I always do my hair right before I leave on a trip and then I’m reluctant to get to wet because I don’t want to mess it up.
The As version of a wash n go is not carefree in that sense.

faithVA

…I just jump in & out of here all the time. :look:
It’s been a rough school year already and made me realize that when I’m stressed, the first things to go are my self-care routines that I usually enjoy.

So, it’s been a while! I (mostly) kept to my schedule of weekly washing but I stopped wearing my wng by October. Last week, I went back to wng & use the CurlSmith gel.
New lesson learned: the BLUE gel is fine in the front of my hair with two coats but the RED was a disaster. I used it on Tuesday & washed it out with regular shampoo on Monday night after enduring a couple days of red crumbs falling everywhere.

Attempted to wash it out.

I washed that section 3 or 4 times & STILL couldn’t get it all out. This stuff seems to have bonded to my hair strands or something. It has the unholy staying power of glitter.
Eventually, I gave up & just styled my hair with the Kinky Curky system. Gave me a nice fluffy but defined wng. I’ll be washing again tomorrow & using Kinky Curly Come Clean, hopefully with better results.
I hope school is going well for you and you are getting a little break. It can be hard to take care of the hair with the demanding requirements of school. Not sure how long your hair is but maybe just keep it simple with a shampoo, condition and bun or when time is super short, just a condition and bun.

faithVA

I just ordered Madison Reed conditioner, TGIN leave-in and a travel size of Biolage Color fast Conditioner. Fortunately, I had a gift card which I was probably never going to use. Gift card + $3.50 off + Rakuten points + Ulta points, that works out. And I think I probably still have something left on the gift card.

Biolage had a lot of good reviews. It is less expensive than Madison Reed and comes in a larger bottle. And I didn't know the TGIN came in a 32 oz bottle :shocked: When did that happen? If I don't stick with curly styling I will buy it because I like to use it when I wear twist. :yep: TGIN is one of my favorite brands and have been using them for at least 8 years. My hair doesn't like much.

oneastrocurlie

OK. @GettingKinky made me do it :lol:

I was washing my hair today anyway and I'm off so why not. I did modify it some because I always have to make things work for me.

Since I had heat protectant on my hair I shampooed first with TGIN almost clarifying and then followed it with my moisturizing shampoo. Water wasn't really going to get through the heat protectant.

Then I rinsed for 5 minutes. That wasn't too bad because I usually spend a good amount of time rinsing, detangling, etc. My hair always looks great after shampooing.

I deep conditioned with TGIN. The instructions set let it sit up to 25 minutes with heat. I just put on a plastic cap and a turban and ate breakfast.

Jumped back in the shower, rinsed.

Applied my Madison Reed Conditioner. I spent most of the 3 minutes smoothing and detangling. I need to check how long they said it should sit.

I rinsed. My hair is wet at this step but I wouldn't say it is soaking wet. My hair doesn't hold water very well.

I applied my TGIN leave-in. I added a little water here because product was just sitting on my hair.

Then I shook a little. It doesn't look too bad considering it is just leave-in.

As far as days 2 to 7, I'm going to have to think about that 10 minutes. I don't have 10 minutes of hot water. I may need to do a 5 and 5. We shall see.

One thing I had forgotten is how much my scalp loves more frequent water.

Day 1
View attachment 477851View attachment 477853View attachment 477855View attachment 477857

Looks good!

toaster

@faithVA your hair looks really good! I’m probably going to order a leave in from Ulta and start the challenge on January 5.

@GettingKinky yes, the A’s method gives bomb hair, but it is not carefree in the least. After spending hours on my hair once a week I would be so upset if got messed up. Would be nice to have an easier version in my arsenal.

GettingKinky

Day 3 of the challenge complete. I finished up my curl charisma conditioner and then used my Briogeo aloe & oat for my second conditioner.
The 10 minute rinsing is soooo tedious. I only spent 17 total minutes in the shower. I was rushing because I was really hungry and feeling light headed.

I think this process might work better with UFD. I think the final results would be less frizzy. Also with just leave in I can’t get my hair to lay the way I want to it to. It just flops all over the place.

faithVA

Day 3 of the challenge complete. I finished up my curl charisma conditioner and then used my Briogeo aloe & oat for my second conditioner.
The 10 minute rinsing is soooo tedious. I only spent 17 total minutes in the shower. I was rushing because I was really hungry and feeling light headed.

I think this process might work better with UFD. I think the final results would be less frizzy. Also with just leave in I can’t get my hair to lay the way I want to it to. It just flops all over the place.

Does your day 3 hair look any different from your day 1 hair?

The results are supposed to be frizzy. It is showing you the current state of your hair. If you used UFD it would mask the state of your hair and you wouldn't have a good gauge on your progress. I know you want it to look pretty but it is short termed. You will be back to your regular stylers soon.

GettingKinky

Does your day 3 hair look any different from your day 1 hair?

The results are supposed to be frizzy. It is showing you the current state of your hair. If you used UFD it would mask the state of your hair and you wouldn't have a good gauge on your progress. I know you want it to look pretty but it is short termed. You will be back to your regular stylers soon.
My hair may be a bit less frizzy. It actually looks ok, but I have zero control over how it lays. I always wear a side part, it insists on parting in the middle. If I could get it to lay right I wouldn’t mind this level of frizz

faithVA

Looking great @faithVA !

Im still terrified of letting my hair dry with only a leave in. But you guys are inspiring me.
I know right. The only reason I ever tried it was because I color my hair and I needed to cleanse and style minimally the day before. I was shocked but pleasantly surprised. Even this morning I could still move my fingers through it. But I wouldn't do that 2 days in a row :nono: I can feel the water leaving her every few hours.