Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

faithVA

My coworker’s sister is a stylist & looking for new clients. She keeps telling me, my sister can cut your hair. Rather than tell her NO WAY, I forwarded her the CIK professional Instagram page to check out.

I think I found a CIK stylist 40 miles from me that I may want to give a shot during my spring break.
Compiling my questions and thinking of the shape I want… What is the difference between a 2d shaped cut & a 3D one? I feel like I already know this but I’m not making the connection.

Fabulous that you found a CIK stylist close to you. If you were ever part of the digital salon, you can join the FB alum group and someone may be able to give you some details on that stylist.

A 2d shape cut is best done on hair that grows and hangs down and doesn't grow out so much. Toaster would be a good example of someone who has hair that would work well with a 2d cut.

My hair would only work with a 3d cut because you can see I have a lot of volume and my hair will always have volume in a curly state. The 3d cut takes into consideration how the layers of my coils will lay on top of each other.

Does that make sense.

toaster

@LavenderMint I much prefer to have my hair cut in a 2D shape. It’s similar to having your hair cut when it’s straight, in that it hangs down instead of the 3D cut which gives a strong base and then there’s an angle to the haircut. 3D haircuts take up space.

I think 3D haircuts are gorgeous, but my hair wants to hang down, so it just looks choppy on me.

GettingKinky

So I postponed my wash day by 4 days so I could have day 4 hair for my cut on Saturday.
Day 11 tangles sucks. I should have just washed my hair last Saturday and then done it again today.

I also opened a new bottle of 18oz UFD. When the bottle is full one pump is ~1/2 a teaspoon. Now I have a good baseline for how much UFD I need. For my entire head I need about 9-10 teaspoons.

oneastrocurlie

I got a maintenance trim last Saturday. She said I can book the longer appointment next time since my hair has grown and takes longer to do. That was nice to hear lol.

But today was wash day and I saw something on IG I wanted to try so today (before I washed later on - under the dryer now with some semi permanent color for this darn gray hair) so I did that and liked how it turned out. I only had two combs but have a couple in route for next time.

This is what I was attempting: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZsLvFTphmD/?utm_medium=copy_link

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_094956_copy_1024x1024__01__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220216_094956_copy_1024x1024__01__01__01.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 26

oneastrocurlie

I might be giving up on jello shot. I don't enjoy using it if that makes any sense. It's got the hold and defines really well but it gives me day 1 super curly fro and other combo allow the little hang time I have to well...hang lol. I also tend to forget about it either because it's in the fridge away from the rest of my products or I'm just not thrilled about using it. I've used up about half my pouch and got it on sale so won't feel too bad if I pitch it.

I'm looovvvinngg KCKT and ICH however.

GGsKin

I just ordered puff cuffs in various sizes last night. I’m hoping they will be easier to use than the goody rubber bands I currently use.
I have puff cuffs in the small and medium sizes. I like them, but annoyingly my hair easily gets caught in the joining screw, and they don't contain my hair like my chunky banana clips (I prefer a slicker finish). I don't often wear them these days, but I hope they work out better for you.

HealthyHair2020

I have puff cuffs in the small and medium sizes. I like them, but annoyingly my hair easily gets caught in the joining screw, and they don't contain my hair like my chunky banana clips (I prefer a slicker finish). I don't often wear them these days, but I hope they work out better for you.
I had the same issue with them getting caught in the screw part. Annoyed me to know.

@GettingKinky I would be happy to send you my set if you wanted it.

faithVA

I got my maintenance trim today. This time I let her trim as normal so I could see how much actual length she’s taking off. It was a good 2 inches, maybe more, and that’s more than I grow in 16 weeks.
So we discussed for next time doing a bare minimum trim otherwise I will never get to shoulder length.
Are you happy with the shape? Did she cut that much because they were straight ends.

oneastrocurlie

I got my maintenance trim today. This time I let her trim as normal so I could see how much actual length she’s taking off. It was a good 2 inches, maybe more, and that’s more than I grow in 16 weeks.
So we discussed for next time doing a bare minimum trim otherwise I will never get to shoulder length.

She say why she cut so much? I'm with you, you'll never get to your goal at that rate.

GettingKinky

Are you happy with the shape? Did she cut that much because they were straight ends.
I’m happy with the shape. She said she only cut what was necessary, but I didn’t ask if it was necessary for shape or health. I think her primary goal is shape, but I’m going to switch her to length retention. It’s just so easy to cut off inches when your hair is curly.

faithVA

I’m happy with the shape. She said she only cut what was necessary, but I didn’t ask if it was necessary for shape or health. I think her primary goal is shape, but I’m going to switch her to length retention. It’s just so easy to cut off inches when your hair is curly.
I'm glad you have someone you can have a dialogue with and that will work with you based on what you want.

faithVA

I was supposed to just rinse tonight but for some reason I shampooed instead :ohwell: Then I used a Madison Reed protein hydration product and left that in for 5 minutes. I rinsed and put in deep conditioner. I put on a plastic cap and a scarf and let that sit for a few hours. I'm just going to leave it in and rinse it out on Monday, when I reset.

I actually got 6 days from my last set and maybe I could have gotten 7 today. I think this is a first. Definitely want to see if I can repeat it on Monday.

GettingKinky

I was supposed to just rinse tonight but for some reason I shampooed instead :ohwell: Then I used a Madison Reed protein hydration product and left that in for 5 minutes. I rinsed and put in deep conditioner. I put on a plastic cap and a scarf and let that sit for a few hours. I'm just going to leave it in and rinse it out on Monday, when I reset.

I actually got 6 days from my last set and maybe I could have gotten 7 today. I think this is a first. Definitely want to see if I can repeat it on Monday.
6 days? Yay!! That’s awesome.

LavenderMint

I’m focusing on working my way through the gels I’ve tried before, again. Now that my technique is better & more consistent, the results should be easier to see on my hair. That’s my theory, at least.
-Aunt Jackie’s Don’t Shrink left my hair looking strange by the end of the week, solidifying that I really don’t like it. My sister likes the price & it works for her so I’ll give her the jar since it was only used once.
-I just opened a brand new jar of Curl Junkie Aloe Fix & I don’t hate it… I’m going to try tomorrow’s set with it.

I have to learn to use my diffuser. My hair is long enough now that the ends don't get dried even after an hour under the dryer. Putting a bonnet over wet ends is better than a wet scalp but it promotes tangling. Maybe I’ll try the buff to keep the ends from tangling…

My next goal is to try to use the wng set as a basis for something other than a puff or wrapped pineapple.

faithVA

I reset today. I procrastinated forever and just finished 30 minutes ago. I will definitely have to diffuse since I waited so late.

I followed most of the steps but I may have been too heavy handed with the water. Will know in a little while.

I know it takes me more than an hour to do my hair. A lot of that time is just trying to get my hair to hold some water. Secondly, I'm just slow :lol: Maybe when it gets longer, it will be easier to grab larger sections and apply product to help speed things up.

But it is done now. Fingers crossed that I have consistent results.

faithVA

Have to go into the office tomorrow for a meeting. I was hoping my set would look like it did last week but no dice. It isn't horrible but its just alright. I think it was too much water. :ohwell: At least I've dropped that covid weight. The extra weight plus wild hair would be too much for my first time back in the office.