Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

Whenever I think of a "set" I think of putting the hair in an arrangement that isn't natural like a roller set or a braid out. I'm not familiar with that term. Did that come from the As?
I’m not sure if @faithVA got it from the As, but I also think of my wash and go as a set. I’m using two gels to set my curls in place for weekly wear. I sit under a dryer to create a cast. I feel like I’m setting my hair. Alternatively, if I just left some conditioner in my hair or used just a leave in, it would still be in my natural curl, but it wouldn’t be “set”. There would be no hold or longevity.

That’s my thought process at least.

GettingKinky

Whenever I think of a "set" I think of putting the hair in an arrangement that isn't natural like a roller set or a braid out. I'm not familiar with that term. Did that come from the As?
I’m not sure if @faithVA got it from the As, but I also think of my wash and go as a set. I’m using two gels to set my curls in place for weekly wear. I sit under a dryer to create a cast. I feel like I’m setting my hair. Alternatively, if I just left some conditioner in my hair or used just a leave in, it would still be in my natural curl, but it wouldn’t be “set”. There would be no hold or longevity.

The As do call it a set (taking it from wet to dry, with the curls defined.) They used to resist calling it a wash n go and always called it a hydrate and define.

faithVA

The A's pretty much say any styling that comes after conditioning is a set, so that is where I got it from. I think they include anything that requires product and technique to be a set.

faithVA

For me if I just put in conditioner or a leave-in my hair would be a fro, so I definitely have to set my hair. The way you explained it sounds better than what I said.

toaster

I still haven’t washed my hair. Life got in the way this week. I’m going to wash after breakfast and style this evening.

I’ll probably use the new doux mousse on top of curly magic. Only need this wash and go to last until Wednesday so I can get back on schedule.

@GettingKinky ive been thinking about straightening my hair just for fun. I’d use the dyson air wrap with the comb attachment. That’s what I used in the past and it’s great. Maybe I’d follow up with my flat iron, but I’m not sure I even know where that is.

LavenderMint

I used Olaplex 0 & 3 last Friday. I must have been excited because when Mr. Mint got up on Saturday, he wanted to see how my hair turned out :drunk: He said he could see where my coils had clumped together and the ends all around looked springier. I agree. My hair was coiled root to tip all the way around, the strange wavy fly-always were gone and the frizziness was non-existent. I used UFD & PS. My hair still looks great & didn’t even need a mid-week wash. So I may do this once or twice a month because the benefits are clear.

Unfortunately, the CIK stylist I was looking to see is booked through April. So I won’t be able to do anything until after school is out for summer.

GettingKinky

I still haven’t washed my hair. Life got in the way this week. I’m going to wash after breakfast and style this evening.

I’ll probably use the new doux mousse on top of curly magic. Only need this wash and go to last until Wednesday so I can get back on schedule.

@GettingKinky ive been thinking about straightening my hair just for fun. I’d use the dyson air wrap with the comb attachment. That’s what I used in the past and it’s great. Maybe I’d follow up with my flat iron, but I’m not sure I even know where that is.
I don’t have the AirWrap. I didn’t even know it had a comb attachment. How straight does it get your hair?

toaster

I don’t have the AirWrap. I didn’t even know it had a comb attachment. How straight does it get your hair?
Pretty straight! Definitely as straight as I’ve ever been able to blow dry my own hair. Dyson calls the attachment a “firm brush” but it’s more of a den man type brush/comb in my opinion. It’s just easier for me to use something in that shape than it is to try and use a real blow dryer.

If you use small sections, it doesn’t even take that long.

sunshinebeautiful

It's about time for a trim again. Last time I blew it dry and let me sister just clip the ends. This time I really need a reshaping. I'm debating on whether I want to make the long drive to South Florida or try a new curl artist I found about 2.5 hours away.

I was looking to find someone locally, but no dice so far. The closest I've found was one woman who has wash n go advertised as a service on her website, but no pics. Suspect. The other is a white woman who specializes in curly hair, but of all the pics I've seen, even the 'kinkiest' textures are looser than mine. If I'm going in for a cut/reshaping, I need someone who knows what they're doing - and I need to know they know what they're doing with photographic evidence.

faithVA

I rode yesterday and I was too tired to try to do my hair last night. I had to start work early so didn't do it this morning. I have an appointment this afternoon, so I will just wet it during my lunch break and put it in 2 twists. Tomorrow is my salon appointment. Tonight I will condition and detangle and slick it back and just go like that :ohwell: I just can't put in the work for something that is going to be undone tomorrow.

faithVA

During my lunch break, I shampooed once. towel dried and then used the K18. My hair isn't long but it is a good density and it is coily, so I used 2 pumps each on the left side and the right side. I realized that I haven't seen my hair damp after shampoo in years, if ever. So I really didn't know what to expect. Conditioner is definitely calming. And I never remove water from my hair before applying product. It isn't something I would do on the regular :lol:

I put the K18 in, waited 4+ minutes, put in my TGIN leave-in and then put it into 2 flat twist. Its too early to tell anything but I am going to use it on my mid-week wash. There is no way to incorporate it in my weekend reset.

faithVA

My appointment was good. I wanted her to be aggressive when shampooing but no such luck.

I didnt pay a lot of attention to what she did. She shampooed twice and conditioned. She used UFD, ICV and ICH.

I noticed she doesnt smooth the roots. She parts vertically which creates more elongation versus volume. I do horizontal because I like more volume. She smooths very small sections and then slowly separates. It seemed to take forever but the whole appointment was 90 minutes.

I was under the dryer for maybe 20. Then she diffused for 10 and then back under the dryer.

She used ICV to give it more hold so will see how it goes. I hope it holds until Saturday. Making progress. I go back in May for a shaping.

20220308_195939_copy_1350x1111.jpg

faithVA

My appointment was good. I wanted her to be aggressive when shampooing but no such luck.

I didnt pay a lot of attention to what she did. She shampooed twice and conditioned. She used UFD, ICV and ICH.

I noticed she doesnt smooth the roots. She parts vertically which creates more elongation versus volume. I do horizontal because I like more volume. She smooths very small sections and then slowly separates. It seemed to take forever but the whole appointment was 90 minutes.

I was under the dryer for maybe 20. Then she diffused for 10 and then back under the dryer.

She used ICV to give it more hold so will see how it goes. I hope it holds until Saturday. Making progress. I go back in May for a shaping.

View attachment 479257
My hair looks so much better on person. One day I will stop being cheap and get a phone with a real camera :ohwell:

toaster

I got a new Felicia leatherwood brush after 26 months with my old brush.

Wow detangling was much easier with the new brush, since the bristles were more firm. My old brush got much more flexible as time went on, and that made it less efficient.

I’ll be replacing this brush at least every year from now on.

faithVA

@faithVA I think your hair looks great in the picture, so it must look banging in person! Glad you enjoyed your appointment. It’s nice to just relax and not have to watch someone like a hawk when they are in your hair.
Thank you. It does look much better in person. The picture doesn't capture the definition, the body, the way she made it hang :perplexed:

And it is nice to not have to watch her. I'm completely relaxed and I don't think I asked her any questions. She is so patient and gentle. She seems to know what I want. And she is cool with me cutting in whenever even though it looks crazy now :yep:

It's nice to have a stylist again. :yep: