2012 Natural Products Challenge

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
greenandchic I found another natural line! :grin: I plan on making a purchase, this stuff looks great!

Kyra's Ultimate Indulgence

http://www.kyrasultimate.com/main.sc

ETA: I have Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Hair Gel and really, it's a cream. I've only used it once to slick the edges down and it worked verrah nicely. :)

Last edited:

greenandchic

greenandchic I found another natural line! :grin: I plan on making a purchase, this stuff looks great!

Kyra's Ultimate Indulgence

http://www.kyrasultimate.com/main.sc

ETA: I have Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Hair Gel and really, it's a cream. I've only used it once to slick the edges down and it worked verrah nicely. :)

I love the ingredients in their products! No shea butter and not much glycerin showing up. Thanks for sharing!

lamaria211

im going to target today to pick up some knot today! ive never tried it before but ive only heard good things so far, while im there is there anything else i should grab? (i dont live near a target so i got to stock up on whatever i buy.

greenandchic

im going to target today to pick up some knot today! ive never tried it before but ive only heard good things so far, while im there is there anything else i should grab? (i dont live near a target so i got to stock up on whatever i buy.

Unfortunately none of my area Targets carries anything for curly/natural hair. I wish they did. :(

WantNatural

1. Current length - APL
2. Natural
3. Hair goals for the year - strong, moisturized MBL-WL by Dec 2012
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.
Weekly - DC on dry hair w/AO GPB
Wash w/Terressentials mud wash or Shikakai bar
Leave-in w/Yes to Cucumbers
Moisturize w/AVJ/water/castor oil mix
Seal w/castor oil
Twist
Daily - oil scalp w/MoeGro oil, massage scalp, M&S, twist for night
Wet bun daily, may try a twist out every once in a while
Try to remember to dust every 8 weeks
Henna once a month
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)
Cones, sulfates

The only non-natural product I use right now is Ecostyler gel. I can't give up my Ecostyler gel!

greenandchic

1. Current length - APL
2. Natural
3. Hair goals for the year - strong, moisturized MBL-WL by Dec 2012
Weekly - DC on dry hair w/AO GPB
Wash w/Terressentials mud wash or Shikakai bar
Leave-in w/Yes to Cucumbers
Moisturize w/AVJ/water/castor oil mix
Seal w/castor oil
Twist
Daily - oil scalp w/MoeGro oil, massage scalp, M&S, twist for night
Wet bun daily, may try a twist out every once in a while
Try to remember to dust every 8 weeks
Henna once a month
Cones, sulfates

The only non-natural product I use right now is Ecostyler gel. I can't give up my Ecostyler gel!

:lol: I don't use gel often, but I love the Ecostyler Blue hold #5 gel when I do. :lick: Trying to find a replacement for the summer...

AyannaDivine

I'm in! Everything I use on my hair is 100% natural except for the occasional use of Cream of Nature shampoo and hair dye. Looks like I'm going to have to dye my hair before this challenge begins :grin:

1. Current length shoulder length w/ chin length bangs
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other natural ♥
3. Hair goals for the year. Full APL by the end of 2012
Products - Qhemet, Oyin, Darcys for moisturizing and styling. My home made shampoo for cleansing. Safflower, avocado and grapeseed oils for pre-pooing. I hope to revisit AVC rinses in 2012. My hair loves them, IDK why I ever stopped doing them.
Reggie - Pre-poo, wash & detangle once a week if possible, if not every 2 weeks. Moisturize and seal after washing. Hydrate hair daily with homemade spritz. I'll also sleep in a satin bonnet.
Styles - More than likely my hair will be in a protective style 90% of the time. Two strand twists are my fav.
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc) <---All of the above! I love me some hair dye, but its drying to the hair so Im going to *try* not to dye in 2012.

fe6968

Please add me to the challenge! I will be using the Shi-Naturals line. I will post details later:grin::grin:

VictoriousBrownFlower

~Questions to Start the Challenge~
1. Current length
I'm barely shoulder length in the back and chin length in the front
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other
I'm natural and loving it.
3. Hair goals for the year.
Well I'm not sure if I can make it but I would love to be bra strap in the back by the end of the yr, and armpit in the front.
I really wanna try bobeam (i think thats the name) shampoo bars but for now I'm using chagrin valley conditioning shampoo bar.
Karen's body beautiful luscious locks hair mask as a dc.
Aubrey Organics GPB for protein when needed(thinking of getting a base and making my own protein treatment).
Giovanni Direct leave in
Avocado butter
Napur 9 herbs henna
Vatika oil (only use in henna mix)
Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose (henna mix)
Chagrin Valley Ayurvcedic shampoo bar (i think thats it for now:yep:)

REGINEM
wash 2-3 times a wk with chagrin valley shampoo bar
use Karens body beautiful luscious locks hair mask as a dc
when done washing put giovanni direct leave in and seal with avocado butter
air dry in puff
protein as needed
henna when i feel like it(which is maybe every 4 months or something but I'm trying to do it more often)

5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc) Karetin, SAA, Collagen, Cones, sulfates

Starting pic (i hope its ok I'm judging growth by how big my fro gets)

faithVA

Not joining but I will be subscribing and visiting you ladies from time to time. Wishing you many wonderful results.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Question for the Challengers #1

For those of you who use gel, what are your favorite natural gels? I do like FSG, but I sometimes like to have something that I don't have to constantly keep in the fridge.

I like using Aubrey Organic B5 gel, but I wouldn't mind trying others - especially something that has a bit more hold.

Thoughts?
Our hair seems to be similar in density and porosity and my hair loves darcy botanicals curly coiling jelly and just conditioner as a styler. Also who can forget kinky curly but I use a little over my darcy botanicals for extra hold.

I wanna try ingredients to die for's organic condtioning creme as a styler. It has great ingredients and its thick so I think it will be a great styler. Is it considered natural? It has some ingredients I dont know about.

ProductJunkie

I'm in! I have started making all my products for my hair... Becoming a serious mix tress over here... I do buy some Oyin here and there and some Mahogony Knots... But everything else I have been mixing myself! Oh yea... And I use Terressentials to wash!

greenandchic

Our hair seems to be similar in density and porosity and my hair loves darcy botanicals curly coiling jelly and just conditioner as a styler. Also who can forget kinky curly but I use a little over my darcy botanicals for extra hold.

[COLOR=magenta[B]]I wanna try ingredients to die for's organic condtioning creme as a styler. It has great ingredients and its thick so I think it will be a great styler. Is it considered natural? It has some ingredients I dont know about.[/B][/COLOR]

I will have to look the product up to see what's in it. There are some ingredients I'm still unsure about so I have to do some research. :D

I'm in! I have started making all my products for my hair... Becoming a serious mix tress over here... I do buy some Oyin here and there and some Mahogony Knots... But everything else I have been mixing myself! Oh yea... And I use Terressentials to wash!

I so want to get into mixing my own products! I've been researching ingredients, percentages, what does what and so on. The one thing I want to make is a good leave-in, cream styler and a rinse out conditioner. My hair doesn't like glycerin and shea butter in leave-ins so making my own would give me more control.

Most of the info I find when it comes to making natural hair products is oil and butter based products. Anyone can blend a bunch of butters together, but I want water based products which is a whole 'nother story due to the need to preserve and emulsify.

Any info you can point me to would be very helpful!

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Can you add organicals deep conditioning creme.

Is Giovanni not considered natural? If not, I may not be able to join the challenge.

1. Current length: betweeen neck and shoulder

2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other: colored natural

3. Hair goals for the year.: Moisturized APL

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using. Wash either weekly or bi weekly and dc with steam and overnight. Darcys Pumpkin Seed leave in on damp hair for the winter and style with Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade on dry hair

trying to avoid mostly glycerin, sulfates and parebens.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

Last edited:

thetall1

1. Brazing BSB stretched
2. Natural
3. I woud to get to full MBL by the end of 2012
4 I plan to wear my hair in mostly protective styles (twists, buns). When my hair is not in a protetive style I'll be co-washing once a week; washing with Terresentials Hair Mud Wash once a week.
5. hmmm.. still working on that...lol...I'm going to try to avoid Aussie Moist Conditioner, Eco Styler gel, and most of all Curl Activator gel (this is going to be extremely difficult)

Starting Pics:

Wash N Go/Bun out

My hair is very damaged and dry, and is in need of some TLC (as you can see):nono:...so, I hope and pray that I can get my hair back to how it used to be :yep:

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

Proudnapps you are rocking those curls. I hope to be there some day soon.

I washed my hair last night with the chagrin valley soaps conditioning shampoo bar. Dc'd with Kbb's luscious locks hair mask. Applied my giovanni direct leave in and sealed with avocado butter. Then I styled it while wet in a pompador for today. Luckily it still looked good in the am. All I had to do was fluff out the puff and I'm ready to go.

I think all I'm going to use for now as a styler is giovanni direct leave in. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I wanna also try making my own protein treatment with yogurt a banana and coconut milk. We'll see if my lazy butt actually does it though.

Ronnieaj

I oiled my hair with Afroveda Rice Bran oil mix, did an ayurvedic tea rinse for 45 minutes, and followed with Wen 613 to cowash. I think there's amodimethicone in it, but the ingredient list is so long I can't find it. I followed up with Shescentit curl quenching con to DC; I'm going to have to check the ingredients in that--it's mostly natural but looks like some BTMS may be in it. I used DB Shea Curling Creme followed by DB Avocado/Wild Plum twisting cream to refresh my twists.

I'm going to try KC Come Clean as a deep cleaning shampoo prior to my protein treatments, which will unfortunately have to remain non-natural in nature. My hair digs non-natural protein treatments :look:.

ecornett

1. Current length

1. grazing apl
2. i am 1 year into my transition to natural
3. i want to be healthy full bsb by the end of the summer
4. im so excited for this i am going to use some ayervedic and natural products im hoping to use mostly homemade products. my reggie will be wash and detagle weekly with bentonite + aloe juice and moisturize with a homemade lotion i plan to henna bi weekly and do deep conditioning treatments with ayervedic herbs
5. avoiding ALL chemically things

greenandchic

I've been wanting to co-wash my hair this weekend and last night, but time got away from me. I'm trying to use up my "un-natural" conditioners (especially the ones with 'cones) so I can start the challenge. I guess the cone ones would make a good detangling pre-poo.

greenandchic

Tonight I cowashed my hair (trying to use up all of my Aussie Moist), did a black tea rinse, conditioned it with my conditioner/oil mix, oiled my scalp with castor oil and twisted my hair with Mozeke Whipped Avocado Cream.

Cendra

1. Current length -Lower front and lower back grazing APL; ear length toward crown is below collar bone

2. 100% Natural

3. Hair goals for the year - SOLID APL when flat ironed. Help me, Lord.

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using

Wash/DC under steam once a week; co-wash once a week; Twisted protectively 6 out of 7 days;Twistout one day a week; baggying 4-5 times a week; dusting, search and destroy every few weeks.

Additions: scalp scrub à la Glamazini (Youtube) every other week + scalp massages 2-3 times a week.

Currently using Eli's black soap shampoo + tea tree oil for dry scalp; avocado, coconut milk, honey as a DC under steam; my own shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba, aloe, honey as hair cream; distilled water, aloe, black hemp seed oil as spritz

Yes, all of the above plus alcohol, mineral oil and other "bad" ones :)

greenandchic

Last night I oiled my scalp with homemade coffee oil. I am getting bored with my current PS right now - trying to think of other ways to protect my hair.

I need to place an order for henna for my hair - its been a while since my last treatment.

Cendra - How much honey do you add to your hair?

VictoriousBrownFlower

I washed dc'd and styled my hair for tomorrow. It feels good but I have no clue how it will look. Braidouts havent been doing me right so far but I thought I would try again now that I have some length.

On a plus note I got my darcy botanicals peach kerel oil in the mail already. Love her customer service. She gave me a free sample of the sweet cocoa bean curl smoothingcream and I love the way it smells. Its an exact replica of duncan hines cake batter. I just hope my hair likes it. Fingers crossed...

I dont know if i said this before here but I was thinking about trying a protein dc this weekend with coconut milk yogurt and a banana. We'll see if i actually do it.

Damaged but not out

1. Current length
-will add after end of yr length check

-natural

-Continue to keep, my hair healthy

Following a cycle of wash, condition, final rinse, braid. Henna every 4 weeks
Henna
Clays- rhassoul, bentonite and multani mitti
Oils- argan, grapseed, sunflower, pumpkin, cameilla, castor , hemp seed and
any others i pick up
Butters- shea,cocoa, cupaccu, babassu and murumurru.
"Shampoo" - Chagrin valley aryuvedic and herbal mist bars, Dr. bronners hemp
and lavender castile soap
Conditioners- All things Aubrey Organics
Rinses- Herbs, apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, black tea and garlic
Leave ins- water,aloe, rosewater and Giovanni Leave in

bad stuff.

Starting pic
(will add after)

Last edited:

Lita

I'm in-

*Current-TBL/with layers...Some parts at CL..
*Goal-Full lower TBL & Healthier ends..
*Scalp detox(Shi-Naturals)-1x a month or as needed..

My products-B.A.S.K Dc,Pura Naturals,Darcy's,Donna Marie,Camille Rose,Bear Fruit,Koils by Nature,Kyras Ultimate Indulgence,Hempz,Marie Dean,KBB,Hairveda,S.M...etc...

*Pre poos/hot oils..

*Scalp serums/creams/pomades...

Sealers-Rice bran,Walnut oil,Sesame seed oil,Poppie seed oil,Pumpkin & Sunflower oil..

Butters-Avocado & the product stash above...

Shampoos-KeraCare sulfate free,SM,Shampoo bars...May-be Miss Jessie sulfate free poo?

*Most of my products are at least 95-98% natural...

*Post picture later...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited: