2017 Coffee Tea Clay Mud Acv Avj Ayurveda Challenge

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Did an early morning henna tea rinse. :bdance:

Made an Ayurvedic Co-Wash with bhringraj powder, hot water & conditioner. Will be testing it out on Thursday so I'll come back and update then.

View attachment 404959

I cheated and used this cowash this morning. I think it would be better as part of a deep conditioner or pre-poo. Especially an overnight pre-poo. The bhringraj powder had me so relaxed and sleepy...I drank some coffee and went back to sleep. LOL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97
Gone Tailbone!:giggle:.....:drool:

@IDareT'sHair Sis, I've passed tailbone and entered into those areas that we ain't supposed to talk about. :p My hair hits places now I never imagined it would. DH asked me the other day was I ever cutting it again. I was like why? I never plan on straightening it and with shrinkage, no one would ever know my length. No point to cutting. :lachen:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@IDareT'sHair Sis, I've passed tailbone and entered into those areas that we ain't supposed to talk about. :p My hair hits places now I never imagined it would. DH asked me the other day was I ever cutting it again. I was like why? I never plan on straightening it and with shrinkage, no one would ever know my length. No point to cutting. :lachen:
@lulu97
I knew you were Sis.:grin:

Girl, I just didn't know what was past that?:eek:

Buttcrack, Thigh, Knee, Unicorn?:giggle:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
20170712_235448.jpg

Made my mix for my hair without making a glaze. Barely had enough for my hair. Grrr. Tried it on dry yet oiled hair.

So, did a mix of cassia, a little henna plus hair tea. Last night I mixed all of bulk herbs together to make my version of YouTube hair tea. DH had to help me pick a container because I made a LOT!

Here's the end result:

My version costs about $10.50. The premixed version $84

Last edited:

mzteaze

@mzteaze
How was Ms. Teaze Version compared to the Pre-Mix?:lick:....:love:

I can't comment on the pre-mix version since I've never actually used it. But when I priced it and saw the ingredients, I decided homemade would have to work. 1 oz costs $25.

Honestly, I was very happy with the homemade version & would recommend it as the bulk herbs are pretty affordable.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
My scalp tea mix: Nupur 9 herb henna, neem powder, hibiscus powder, fenugreek seeds, and black tea all in a muslin bag, steeped in preserved AVJ. When done steeping, I remove the herbs, add a teaspoon of MSM, and 10 drops of rosemary essential oil.

I'm applying it to my scalp nightly or every other night. Henna and neem are antifungal, so I'm hoping they'll prevent scalp itchies. I've used it the last 4 days and so far, so good.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Sprayed my scalp with some cold aloe vera gel mixed with rosewater. My scalp needs a good cleansing, but I didn't feel like washing today. Will do a full wash, henna tea rinse and steam DC tomorrow. Won't be able to play in my hair again until the end of next week so gonna go all out tomorrow to make sure my hair is clean, strengthened and moisturized for a full week.

imaginary

Marinating in FRW and raw aloe under plastic. Steeping Rooibos Guava Tea for future use.

I admire the strength of your nostrils.

Meanwhile, I've been searching down the place for some fenugreek powder with no luck. So on my next wash I'll try to get by with a Senna leaf tea rinse (I think it's the same as cassia obovata but I'm not 100%). It has to be strained multiple times to get most of the grit out, which is why I haven't been using it as much. I think I'll use it and my kalpi tone up like this.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword

Meanwhile, I've been searching down the place for some fenugreek powder with no luck. So on my next wash I'll try to get by with a Senna leaf tea rinse (I think it's the same as cassia obovata but I'm not 100%). It has to be strained multiple times to get most of the grit out, which is why I haven't been using it as much. I think I'll use it and my kalpi tone up like this.
:giggle: Maybe I should use a teaspoon of rice and let it really break down over several days to see if I can get it too stinky for me.

Cassia and senna confuse me so much because they changed the classification of the plant family from cassia to senna and also cassia can refer to the bark of an evergreen family used to make commercial cinnamon. That tea would a very light version of it.

Have you try a bulk spice store for the fenugreek? I am surprised you could not find it in an Indian store.

imaginary

:giggle: Maybe I should use a teaspoon of rice and let it really break down over several days to see if I can get it too stinky for me.

Cassia and senna confuse me so much because they changed the classification of the plant family from cassia to senna and also cassia can refer to the bark of an evergreen family used to make commercial cinnamon. That tea would a very light version of it.

Have you try a bulk spice store for the fenugreek? I am surprised you could not find it in an Indian store.

The indian stores aren't very near to me, so I was trying to check the supermarkets around here. Next week I'll suck it up and make the trek.

That's exactly my confusion with senna, because cassia obovata is aka senna italica or auriculata or alexandrina. And their differences aren't really highlighted in terms of using it as a hair paste. This one I have used as a paste before and I was picking twigs out my hair for days so nope, teas only. I've also used it to make my clay washes and it worked fine then as well. I just need to remember that I have it and should use it.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
The indian stores aren't very near to me, so I was trying to check the supermarkets around here. Next week I'll suck it up and make the trek.

That's exactly my confusion with senna, because cassia obovata is aka senna italica or auriculata or alexandrina. And their differences aren't really highlighted in terms of using it as a hair paste. This one I have used as a paste before and I was picking twigs out my hair for days so nope, teas only. I've also used it to make my clay washes and it worked fine then as well. I just need to remember that I have it and should use it.
I will have to remember to sift these ayurvedic powders with a fine-mesh strainer before use. Does using cassia with clay make it thicker or easier to work with?

mzteaze

Where do you live?

I literally went on yelp and searched "indian grocery store" near my zip code. Found one 5 minutes away with 7oz bags for $1.99.

imaginary

I will have to remember to sift these ayurvedic powders with a fine-mesh strainer before use. Does using cassia with clay make it thicker or easier to work with?

I've never mixed the powder in with clay but the tea actually doesn't really have a discernible effect on consistency. It's pretty much like adding water only, but it does make my hair feel a bit stronger after.

Where do you live?

I literally went on yelp and searched "indian grocery store" near my zip code. Found one 5 minutes away with 7oz bags for $1.99.

Haha I don't live in the US. It's not super super far away, just not in walking (or 15 minute driving) distance.

GGsKin

I'm sleeping with a henna/ hibiscus/ SAA mix tonight (avoiding my ends/tips). I prepped by rinsing my hair, and coating with coconut oil. Hair's all wrapped up and I'll aim to wake up and rinse first thing. Then DC for a few hours. I already miss UCS...Can't wait for my delivery to arrive.

mzteaze

@AbsyBlvd @Sharpened @imaginary @lulu97 @mzteaze
Any Fenugreek Powder users here? How are you mixing it?

I have the Tea Bags but could *cough* be interested in the Powder. (For research purposes)

I use the powder since it's cheap ($1.99 for 7 oz). I put some in my hair tea AND a hair mask. If you use it as a mask, consider doing it as a pre-poo mask OR blending it in a blender first as you might find small soft balls in the hair requires LOTS of rinsing. It's not a big deal to me but some find it annoying. You can always mix it into conditioner which helps.

The benefits of using fenugreek outweigh the potential for minor annoyance.