2017 Wig Challenge

LegsLegsLegs

^^ Those look beautiful.

I however, was not impressed with my FingerComber purchase.

I literally burned money on synthetic hair that I would never wear.
The units are soo beautiful online, but what I got in the mail?
No maa'm. Shiny, babydoll hair.

It looked nothing like the photos, and even with tweaking, I just could not wear it.
Ended up trashing it with my spring cleaning that year.

I would not have minded if it was your regular synthetic $19.99-$30.00 proved wig, but I spent $almost $70.00 (including shipping) on trash.

Jeesh that's unfortunate. I have been scoping out their site too and looking for reviews etc. I was thinking it was human hair ::shame:: How would u compare this to other synthetic wigs? I personally love synthetic wigs because the older they get, the more it mimics my natural hair.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Jeesh that's unfortunate. I have been scoping out their site too and looking for reviews etc. I was thinking it was human hair ::shame:: How would u compare this to other synthetic wigs? I personally love synthetic wigs because the older they get, the more it mimics my natural hair.
I like synthetic wigs when they look "natural". My wig looked like a costume synthetic wig. I couldn't bring myself to wear it outside of my home. :(

mzpurp

Hi Ladies,

I'm not in the wig challenge for this year but I just purchased the Toni Daley XL wig. Has anyone tried this or any of the other Toni Daley wigs? Your thoughts?

The hair is so soft and I can't wait to wear it, I currently have marley twists but have been thinking of wigging it for a couple months.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Hi Ladies,

I'm not in the wig challenge for this year but I just purchased the Toni Daley XL wig. Has anyone tried this or any of the other Toni Daley wigs? Your thoughts?

The hair is so soft and I can't wait to wear it, I currently have marley twists but have been thinking of wigging it for a couple months.

@mzpurp,
Wig it and join us, even if it's only a couple for a couple of months! We would love to have you in here with us.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I ordered these five wigs to take me till September/October. I know I will like them. I have been in wigs since January. Before that I had a weave since December. That means I've been only taking my hair down between 4-6 weeks since December. Last time I redid my braids, I did a protein treatment and cleansed my hair. It seemed to have grown a bit; not sure because I didn't measure.

This one I got in the lighter color (OP27)

gn1g

They can. Are you wearing something between your hair and your wig? Are you having some issues with your natural edges? I wear a plastic bag over my head, then put on a wig cap. I do that to protect the wig from my oily, natural hair. But, most people just use a wig cap. Hopefully, some of the other ladies will chime in.

Hi @Chicoro, does your hair stay wet while you are wearing the plastic bag and does the bag make noise everytime you touch your head?

gn1g

How long do you plan on wigging it?
remainder of 2017 8-9 mos
3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
  • Prepoo my hair with real aloe gel from the leaf followed by an oil mix of, BJ castor oil, EVOO sunflower oil and a few drops of Lavender eo
  • Wash and condition as needed
  • For chronic hair shed I've also been using DR CABELLO BIOTINA Treatment, it's very potent and strong.
  • Daily I saturate my hair in leave in conditioners, EVOO and then slap a big scoop of green dax grease on the ends to combat split and dry ends. Hypertension meds are harsh on my hair.
4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Natural
5. Current Hair Length:
a little below brastrap
6. 2017 Hair Length Goal:
waist length

Chicoro

I ordered these five wigs to take me till September/October. I know I will like them. I have been in wigs since January. Before that I had a weave since December. That means I've been only taking my hair down between 4-6 weeks since December. Last time I redid my braids, I did a protein treatment and cleansed my hair. It seemed to have grown a bit; not sure because I didn't measure.

Wig treats!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Yay my Friday night hair GLS96 came and I love it so far. Looks so real even without adding my little enhancements yet. I love the gls64 as well.

Can't wait to get the other three.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Took the plunge with the short wig and I'm in love :grinwink: this is Sensationnel bump wig easy 27
It looks so good on you. I love short wigs too but haven't taken the plunge. I'm going to order a couple. I love the versatility of wigs. The only thing is I would only feel comfortable switching to short hair on the weekends. I don't want to show up to work switching hair lengths every week. :oops::oops::oops:

angelmilk

It looks so good on you. I love short wigs too but haven't taken the plunge. I'm going to order a couple. I love the versatility of wigs. The only thing is I would only feel comfortable switching to short hair on the weekends. I don't want to show up to work switching hair lengths every week. :oops::oops::oops:
Thanks! That's the same way I used to feel...but now I just don't care. I'll be swinging 22 inches by next week :lachen:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm in this challenge baby! I just got my mom to cornrow my hair and she did a great job! I was sort of emotional as I was preparing my hair for braiding because I've worn it out so much this year. I plan on keeping it up the rest of the year. I'm tired of dealing with it but I will miss it. I will come back with more deets and my current wig.
Alright so I'm still wigging after a week. I'm still feeling emotional about. I feel sort of like an imposter. But I want to keep going. Right now I'm wearing Outre Dominican Straight.

I like it but I chopped it BSL and thinned the heck out of it. I also have a issue making the part look real enough so I'm going to work on that today. I've gotten some compliments so that's nice. I'm going to make myself wear it a while before I switch up to my next one which is 4c coily. Wearing straight hair makes me miss natural hair.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? Until the end of 2017. I do plan on getting a couple updos between wigs.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? Under wigs, I'll be wearing cornrows. I'm spraying my scalp 1-2x daily with Netwurks. I will moisturize my hair every other day and saturate my hair with water as needed. I'm interested in phony ponies but have no idea how to hide my hair underneath so...

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: Natural

5. Current Hair Length: Grazing BSL

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal: Hmm I'm not sure. I'm not sure what my retention will be like with a regimen like this. I don't know what kind of growth to expect. I want as much growth as possible though.

7. Starting Photo I have a recent one from another thread. I'll have to find it.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

I have the Bobbi Boss Copper wig and while I like it the part needs some serious plucking.

gorgeoushair

Hi Ladies,

I have the Toni Daley wig and the big chop wig and I swear those wigs look different on everyone. I have yet to see someone rock it like she does. I have a love/hate realationship with both wigs. I do want the extra long TD wig though. Can you post pics of how it looks on you? I love how it looks on mythriftedcloset!

IslandMummy

View attachment 395313

Here's a pic of Outre Dominican blowout straight all chopped and screwed. It's ok. I originally left some hair out in order to make it look natural. I found it that it looks the most natural without a leave out and pulled all the way forward.

Oh I promise my hand is not that crazy looking irl :lachen:.
If you said nothing you could scam this as your hair

Chicoro

I may have to put this one on the list. After getting through this uncomfortable period, I see myself having a small obsession with wigs. devil:

This lady is so beautiful. She says she is 42 and that she has 5 kids. When I first came across her videos, I thought she was much, much, younger. She has really pretty skin.

Last edited:

BonBon

I've got Freetress heaven in colour 4 and really like it for an everyday natural looking wig. Again, the density was way too high for me so I had to thin it.

Hania on the other hand I hated.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I've got Freetress heaven in colour 4 and really like it for an everyday natural looking wig. Again, the density was way too high for me so I had to thin it.

Hania on the other hand I hated.
Really? What didn't you like about Hania? It was on my to try list.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm still rocking Outre Dominican Straight. I've been tweaking the install and improving my technique each time I wear it. I've gotten a lot of compliments and admittedly that outside validation had really made me feel more confident with the wig. I still have some more tweaking to do with the part and the hairline. I'm going to try to rock this one a full month.

Today I'm baggying/GHE under my wig for the first time. For some odd reason baggying always gives me a dull headache. Hopefully I'll get over it because I think baggying would benefit my hair.