2017 Wig Challenge

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I'm still rocking Outre Dominican Straight. I've been tweaking the install and improving my technique each time I wear it. I've gotten a lot of compliments and admittedly that outside validation had really made me feel more confident with the wig. I still have some more tweaking to do with the part and the hairline. I'm going to try to rock this one a full month.

Today I'm baggying/GHE under my wig for the first time. For some odd reason baggying always gives me a dull headache. Hopefully I'll get over it because I think baggying would benefit my hair.
That's the wig I'm wearing for my birthday next week! #hairtwins

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
View attachment 395313

Here's a pic of Outre Dominican blowout straight all chopped and screwed. It's ok. I originally left some hair out in order to make it look natural. I found it that it looks the most natural without a leave out and pulled all the way forward.

Oh I promise my hand is not that crazy looking irl :lachen:.

I have yet to pull mine out. Maybe this week.

LostInAdream

I'm still rocking Outre Dominican Straight. I've been tweaking the install and improving my technique each time I wear it. I've gotten a lot of compliments and admittedly that outside validation had really made me feel more confident with the wig. I still have some more tweaking to do with the part and the hairline. I'm going to try to rock this one a full month.

Today I'm baggying/GHE under my wig for the first time. For some odd reason baggying always gives me a dull headache. Hopefully I'll get over it because I think baggying would benefit my hair.

Same happens to me! I don't know what to do because it's messing with my sinuses as well. If I baggy for about an hour I'm good.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Same happens to me! I don't know what to do because it's messing with my sinuses as well. If I baggy for about an hour I'm good.
Ikr. I wonder why that happens. I'm not going to try to baggy for 9 hours like I did that day. That dull headache feeling was too much and it lingered. Today I'm going to baggy for about 4 hours to see if I can do short sessions.

CheChe1881

I'm finally wearing more wigs again, so i'd like to join this challenge.

How long do you plan on wigging it?

How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
I will do a regular regimen of braids and wetting and moisturizing them. DCs. And redo'ing them.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning
Natural

Current Hair Length
Grazing BSL

2017 Hair Length Goal
IDK what length but by the end of 2017 I would like to have retained over 5 inches.

Starting Photo
length_check_april_8_2017.jpg

Wigs

1. Forgot name but it's outre and it has lace.
IMG_7825.JPG

2. Outre Dominican Curly (LOVE this wig)
IMG_7902.JPG IMG_7903.JPG

**Sorry for the long post. I want to be thorough and look back on this post to see how far I've come along**

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm retiring Outre Dominican Straight May 6th. I have a hair appointment coming up. After that style is done, I'll be moving on to Outre 4c coily. Whoop whoop!

I'm starting be suspicious of the nylon wigs caps I'm using. I'm thinking they might be rough on my hair because I'm getting little broken pieces of hair and frizz. I'm going to go by Sally's tom and see if I can find something gentler and satin.

I'm thoroughly enjoying not having to style my hair. All mourning is over now! All my energy can go into caring for my hair. The most work intensive thing I do now is making sure my cornrows stay moist. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid about the wig caps. They seem soft enough not to do damage but idk. We'll see if the satin caps make a difference.

Last edited:

TopShelf

Finally received my fingercomber Kinky II unit and I am upset and disappointed at the customer service and the quality of the unit.
About 2 track in, at the front, there is a 4-6 inch tarck that is about 2 inches long and is super straight.. There is also a track or two missing. Lindsey replied to my email at told me that the short pieces were meant to cover. Cover what? they are short and straight and this hair is long and kinky/curly. I will have to use some of my Bobraz to fill the area. NEVER AGAIN

their model of the hair

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Finally received my fingercomber Kinky II unit and I am upset and disappointed at the customer service and the quality of the unit.
About 2 track in, at the front, there is a 4-6 inch tarck that is about 2 inches long and is super straight.. There is also a track or two missing. Lindsey replied to my email at told me that the short pieces were meant to cover. Cover what? they are short and straight and this hair is long and kinky/curly. I will have to use some of my Bobraz to fill the area. NEVER AGAIN

their model of the hair

Damn, that sucks! did you look at reviews first?! Can you at least rock it to get your money's worth?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Washed and dced my hair today after I think about three weeks. I redid the cornrows going straight back with the nape going across. I measured my hair and it grew/retained about 2" since December, so in most spots it's about 13". :look: My hair grows so slowly. Whatever.

I will keep this set of cornrows in for four weeks before I take down and wash/redo. Will rock my Bobbi Boss copper until end of May. :yep: Then I'll switch it up to the GLS64 for June.

Aggie

their model of the hair

Yeah I got one of those wigs from Fingercomber. They are indeed crap. I wore one that did nothing for me and I couldn't get it to look right no matter what I did with it because they mix in straight hair with kinky hair. I mean, seriously! I will never buy those again plus they never have sales. I think they make the perfect wig for the models on their site but just don't care about us, the real customers. Sad, just sad!

TopShelf

Damn, that sucks! did you look at reviews first?! Can you at least rock it to get your money's worth?

Honestly there were no reviews on this particular wig and I went by the reviews of the other wigs. I have worn it because I paid money for it and it doesn't look horrible on me with a headband, but that wasn't how i really wanted to wear it. But hey, you live and you learn and then you make a youtube video on it.....lol

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Washed and dced my hair today after I think about three weeks. I redid the cornrows going straight back with the nape going across. I measured my hair and it grew/retained about 2" since December, so in most spots it's about 13". :look: My hair grows so slowly. Whatever.

I will keep this set of cornrows in for four weeks before I take down and wash/redo. Will rock my Bobbi Boss copper until end of May. :yep: Then I'll switch it up to the GLS64 for June.

I think that is such a smart way to care for the hair at the nape. It really is a great idea and effective.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I think that is such a smart way to care for the hair at the nape. It really is a great idea and effective.
Yeah I was doing it with my 4c dd because her nape is extremely sensitive and breakage prone. I don't really have nape problems, but with wearing wigs, I want to take extra precautions with that area.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm wearing my hair in an updo for the next 2-3 weeks. I'm missing wearing a wig a little. :D But I feel like wearing my own hair in between wigs keeps me grounded. It reminds why I started wearing wigs in the first place - to keep my hair healthy. I've gotten addicted to weave before so I know I'm prone. I'm off to make a cart for my next haul.

Rain20

@TopShelf Would you mind posting a pic of yourself in the fingercomber unit. I really wanted that one.

I bought one that only lasted a week. So for the price I was angry and haven't bought another. It seems as if she needs to contract with someone to help keep up production and quality.

TopShelf

@TopShelf Would you mind posting a pic of yourself in the fingercomber unit. I really wanted that one.

I bought one that only lasted a week. So for the price I was angry and haven't bought another. It seems as if she needs to contract with someone to help keep up production and quality.

I have only been able to wear it with a headband, but I will post a pic when I get home.

okay. do you know if this is a black owned company

ETA: I haven't forgotten about your request to post a pic of the wig. I have decided on 2nd thought not to post a pic wearing it. I don't want them to make any money off of me. Hopefully you will be able to find someone else who owns the unit.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I finally took the time to buy some elastic and put it in one of my favorite wigs. It works like MAGIC. I usually use Got2Be gel to tap down the part area and make it hold and stick, and use bobby pins to secure the wig.

With the elastic, the part lays down beautifully! It melts into my hairline and fits so well. I can even do the my most aggressive and wildest Tina Turner head twist to Proud Mary with the utmost of confidence. That wig is not coming off. It took me all of 6 minutes to sew it on and I did it in a way that I could easily remove it if it didn't work. The elastic cost me about $1.50 for 1 meter. So, I can do my other wigs, too. I still may use a bobby pin for aesthetic reasons to lay the back down, but not because I need it to feel secure.

Here is the video I used to help me and another one which has a thumb nail to give a clear idea of where to place the elastic and where it should lay. I found them to be very helpful. Perhaps you may find them helpful as well.

Happy Wig Wearing !!!!