2019 Challenge - Cowash, Cocleanse, Mud Wash, Honey Cleanse, & Others

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
*Copied/modified from 2018 challenge*

Okay Ladies, let's keep it up in 2019 with our Co-Washing, Co-Cleansing, Mud Washing, Honey Cleansing or any other alternative form of cleaning our hair and scalp while retaining maximum moisture. Maximum length retention, lush, thick ends and healthy, moisturized tresses are the goals here!

Please post updates whenever you partake in any of the mentioned activities. At a minimum, weekly and/or monthly updates are needed to keep this thread active.

This challenge is to motivate and encourage each other to get that maximum moisture and meet our goals. It will also help us learn different techniques and methodology and what seems to work best for different types of hair.

This challenge will end December 31, 2019.

RULES:
Co-Wash/Co-Cleanse/Mud Wash/Honey Cleanse/Other minimum 1x/wkly. More if you'd like! You don't have to do all of them, just choose the method(s) that suit you and your hair.

Report what products or ingredients you are using, how your hair is responding, and any ups and downs you'd like to share with us regarding the methods.

MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING 10 QUESTIONS
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.):
2) Current hair length:
3) Ultimate hair length:
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc):
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture:
6) Number of times per week you will do this:
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using:
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc):
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use:
10) List shampoo:

Join by answering the questions above.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.):
Natural
2) Current hair length:
Shoulder (stretched)
3) Ultimate hair length:
APL
enhanced curl definition (w/o gel)
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture:
Applicator bottle to apply cleanser directly to roots and massage in with fingers
6) Number of times per week you will do this:
1x
-2 tbsp Rhassoul Clay (Belle Bar blend)
-6oz witch hazel tea (Belle Bar blend)
-2oz Co-Wash (Anita Grant Rosemary Mint)
-4 drops of Ylang Ylang (Henna Sooq)
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after:
Prepoo prior with Onion Garlic Oil
After Deep Condition for 45 mins under my Pibbs
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use:
Clarify 3x a year / Chelate 1x a year
10) List shampoo:
Kinky Curly Come Clean (clarify)
Elucence?? (Chelate)

Lita

My hair is Natural-3combo texture
I’m Growing our a Bob/pixie hair cut
the front of my hair touches the top of my chest/The back of my hair touches top of my shoulders..My goal is to grow it back to the length is was cut from & the picture is in my Avatar..My hair had grown all the way to classic length/to my thighs..
I plan on using clays,muds,Ayurvedic anything that my hair is requiring at that moment..I do pre poo before and Dc after..

Happy Hair Growing!

Daina

MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING 10 QUESTIONS
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Natural
2) Current hair length: Between waist and hip length
3) Ultimate hair length: Either healthy full HL or healthy full TBL not sure yet at some point I just want enjoy and maintain healthy hair
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Focus is on health so ends and density gains would be nice, if I can maintain healthy ends length will come
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: I make a DIY clay wash/mask with bentonite, rhassoul and kaolin Clay's using distilled water and ACV. I also co-cleanse once per month with Wen or As I Am coconut cowash
6) Number of times per week you will do this: Cleansing alternates between weekly and biweekly depends on my scalp
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: See #5
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): Once per month I do a cassia gloss; also once a month I do a yogurt/honey/oil prepoo
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Typically once per month
10) List shampoo: Dodee Osum african black soap and Redken cleansing cream

naturalagain2

I would like to join.
2) Current hair length: 4a/4b
3) Ultimate hair length: MBL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Uber moisturized APL hair
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Cowash
6) Number of times per week you will do this: 1-2x a week may increase
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Trying out different cowash conditioners and regular conditioners. Don’t have a staple yet except for Aussie Moist conditioner.
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): Deep Condtioning 1-2x a week.
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: 2-3x a month
10) List shampoo: Kenra Clarifying Shampoo, Camille Rose Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse, NuEnz Moisturizing Shampoo (may try out Alikay Naturals Black Soap Shampoo)

faithVA

2) Current hair length: SL

3) Ultimate hair length: WL

***APL
***Current but with my crown filled in
***Reduced splits by 70%

***I plan on water rinsing, applying conditioner and then twisting my hair up every other day.
***I'm not sure how often I will cleanse. It will be either every week or every other week.

6) Number of times per week you will do this: Every other day when possible

Water and whatever conditioner I can pick up fro TJ Maxx and then use a pomade on the ends.
When I shampoo, I will deep condition with TGIN Honey Mask

8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): No

9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Every week or every other week. Plan on using Redken Cleansing Cream. If I really need a deeper cleanse I will use a mud wash.

10) List shampoo: Redken Cleansing Cream

faithVA

Decided to try something different for this month to see if it works. Every other day I will water rinse, apply conditioner, seal my ends with crisco and twist my hair up. I want to see if I can increase moisture at all. Every day is too much and I think every 3 days is not often enough. I will try this out for 2 weeks and then reassess unless I can really tell it isn't working and then will try something else.

naturalagain2

Why do you say this?

That conditioner moisturizes but also strengthens at the same time if that makes since. I think with back to back use my hair would start to tangle due to the double dose of coconut oil and coconut milk it contains. It's something I would rotate in. But it's not a bad conditioner at all my hair felt great after using it. It smells heavenly too if you like the smell of coconuts.

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

That conditioner moisturizes but also strengthens at the same time if that makes since. I think with back to back use my hair would start to tangle due to the double dose of coconut oil and coconut milk it contains. It's something I would rotate in. But it's not a bad conditioner at all my hair felt great after using it. It smells heavenly too if you like the smell of coconuts.
How do you like the Aussie Moist? I was at the drug store today and saw some for $4.49 And get 2nd one 1/2 off.

Do you air dry or apply a leave in conditioner or any moisturizer after with cowashing? Or is cowashing enough? Im asking because I didn't see you mention it above.

Thanks in advance

naturalagain2

How do you like the Aussie Moist? I was at the drug store today and saw some for $4.49 And get 2nd one 1/2 off.

Do you air dry or apply a leave in conditioner or any moisturizer after with cowashing? Or is cowashing enough? Im asking because I didn't see you mention it above.

Thanks in advance

Aussie Mega Moist is heaven in a bottle. I would just cowash with that but I like to change it up and try other conditioners. You should definitely try it. When my hair is tangled I know if I reach for that it's going to give me the slip I need.

After washing, I do mostly wash n go's so I rinse out the conditioner then put my leave in (Camille Rose Curl Love Moisture Milk) then apply my gel or I may use a heavier moisturizer on top of the leave in (Camille Rose Curlaide Moisture Butter) then my gel. Then I get under the dryer for 20-30 mins or air dry if I started early enough. You can easily transition to twists for a twist out as well after cowashing.

Daina

@Daina i like a good shampoo ever now and again but I mainly clay wash.

Hair gets better and better each time. I just like bubbles sometimes lolol

@IDareT'sHair, thanks sis!

@shawnyblazes, thanks for weighing in, have you seen any negatives? I think I'm going to try it for 3 weeks straight and then do a Redken cleansing creme for the 4th week. My hair and scalp just gets an extra dose of get right and act right when I clay cleanse. I can actually stretch wash day to every 2 weeks with clay, everything else I need to do weekly.

Daina

Starting a new regimen for a month where I will be exclusively clay washing. My hair and scalp seems to love the combination of bentonite, rhassoul and kaolin clay. I've also started incorporating rice water with every cleanse as well, along with chebe oil. I've noticed some thinning on my right side near the front. Not sure if it's from styling or something else so I am back to being diligent with my vitamin D and hoping the rice water and chebe curb the thinning.

Anyone use rice water and if so have you had any success? I've seen several YouTube vids that show it helped to regrow edges.

faithVA

I'm glad I stopped back in here. My previous post said I would try rinsing and conditioning every other day and reassess in 2 weeks. So this is two weeks. It's too soon to say if it is really working but it definitely isn't causing a problem. My hair seems to need this extra water in the winter. My hair is drying out by the 2nd day so rinsing is keeping it from completely drying out. I'm hoping this helps to curb my split ends.

My ends seem to be a bit smoother. I will keep it going for another 2 weeks and report back on the 10th.

faithVA

Using up the last of the gud conditioner. I rinsed, conditioned and twisted.

I was trying to figure out what conditioner I was going to take with me on vacation. Then I realized I have a bag full of mini conditioners I collected from hotel stays. I will take those and use them up.

naturalagain2

Cowashed my fingercoils today, didn’t care for how they came out looking this morning. I cowashed with Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture Seal Cowash.