APL`13 Challenge

BShamWow

Just washed and deep conditioned my hair. Yippee!!! I got the gold n hot conditioning cap so I wouldn't disturb my roomie with my loud tabletop dryer and I love it mostly cause I can lay in bed and watch tv while DCing lol

Mz.MoMo5235

So after yoga today I decided I couldnt take no more and washed my hair. I feel so much better :D

I think I finally got over the urge to wear my hair straight. I mean with the way I've been working out lately I really just cant do it honestly. Doesnt help that I've plateaued :( So I have to figure out if I need to tweak my work out or eating :p being healthy is no fun sometimes ACK!

pinkpanther23

So I took out my twists and flat ironed my hair last weekend and here are the results! I probably shouldn't have taken these pics wearing a black shirt, it's a little difficult to see the length but I think I'm almost there!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130817_190317.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_190317.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20130817_190335.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_190335.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20130817_190351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_190351.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 86

Ann0804

Took down my mini twists- couldn't deal with messy looking hair.

I ended up doing a protein treatment, which I will probably skip for a while since I ended up shedding a lot afterwards. Then I put my hair in large braids.

I want to do mini twists again today, but I don't wanna spend 3 hours putting them in. Maybe I'll become more motivated to redo them later today.

kandegirl

August check in. I'm making good progress. I'm resting my hair for three weeks then it's back up into a sewn-in weave.
I want more length and fullness by December. Plus, I want the front to grow out and catch up with the back. The closure pieces I have been wearing have been helping my bangs to grow out.

I have to get back on taking my hair vitamins (GNC) regularly. I have reminders on my phone but I ignore them.

-Relaxed w/ Affirm Senstive for the first time. It left my hair a little drier than usual. I was using Nairobi but it was all shipped back to the manufacturer for some reason. Now I can't find it anywhere.

Attachments

• Hair 8.2013.JPG
    Hair 8.2013.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Hair 8.2013 2.JPG
    Hair 8.2013 2.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Hair 8.2013 3.JPG
    Hair 8.2013 3.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 67

gvin89

It's been awhile since I've checked in. I've rocked protective styles..mostly flat twist updos all summer long. I decided to do mini two stands on dry hair today...hoping they will last at least 3 weeks.

ForumRunner_20130819_203646.jpg

ForumRunner_20130819_203646.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130819_203709.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_203709.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 43

hairqueen7

Wen I started my journey baq in Jan 12" my hair was super thin low density, now its getting so thick but now I'm angry that its not growing smh us naturals can't never b grateful lol

kandegirl

yaya24, I keep my sew-ins 6-8 weeks. It depends on the style. If I've left no hair out, I'll do 8 weeks. If I've left some hair out, I'll probably do 6 weeks. I'm licensed and do my weaves myself so I'm always switching my hair up. Plus I have to get in there and do my protein treatments so 8 weeks is my limit.

I wish a vitamin challenge would help me. If reminders, don't nothing will until I'm focused again. I said I was going to get a jar and deposit quarters for each reminder ignored and make it my vacation fund!

@kandegirl how often do you keep in your sew ins?

ETA: You should join the vitamin challenge, it has helped me to remember to take my vitamins.

Vitamin Challenge 2013

yoli184

yaya24, I keep my sew-ins 6-8 weeks. It depends on the style. If I've left no hair out, I'll do 8 weeks. If I've left some hair out, I'll probably do 6 weeks. I'm licensed and do my weaves myself so I'm always switching my hair up. Plus I have to get in there and do my protein treatments so 8 weeks is my limit.

I wish a vitamin challenge would help me. If reminders, don't nothing will until I'm focused again. I said I was going to get a jar and deposit quarters for each reminder ignored and make it my vacation fund!

Do you use a net underneath your sew-ins? Also how do u keep your hair moisturizer while you are in sew ins? Oils?
Any particular products you can recommend?

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
this is where I am... still at SL. I hope to get at least 2 more inches this year and get to APL sometime next year.

Attachments

• image-1010939013.jpg
    image-1010939013.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 75

beautyintheyes

i have a radom question why does my scalp alway itch. when i shapoo or just rinse or co wash i still have a mild itchy scalp and it get worse as time goes on so i have to wash it at lease once a week even though i want to wash less frequently. i have no problems with my hair journey other than watvhing my hair grow to much lol.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
OMG! (semi-long rant)

My friend that usually cornrows my hair is out of town on vacation, so I decided to look up local hairdressers that can do cornrows for under $35.00.

I found a very sweet lady that works in a salon, and she stated that if I came with my hair washed and blowdried, she would only charge $25.00 to do them for me. Her stylist profile said that she specializes in healthy hair.

I was ecstatic.

Soooo, I called and scheduled an appointment Yesterday.

Today I went to my appointment, and she let me know that it would only take 20 minutes or so to do my request (10 straight back cornrows for under my wig).

I sat down in my chair, and then to my dismay, she pulls out a paddle brush..A paddle brush full of shed/broken hair and/or weave and she thinks she is about to use that on my hair..

ME: *Pause*.. Do you have anything else you can use on my hair.. because I generally do not use brushes.

HER: Pulls out a fine tooth rat tail black comb (that one would use to do a roller set)..

ME: Do you have a comb with wider teeth?

HER (with an attitude): No, but you can go the next street over to the beauty supply store and buy a comb that you think is more suitable for your needs.

ME: Blank Stare.. Okay, sure I'll be right back..

I then proceeded to head on over to Chick Fil-A for lunch, ran a few errands and then went back to my house to rest before my plans at 8pm.

How does a STYLIST at a SALON that *claims* she specializes in healthy hair practices only have one raggedy arse rat tail comb + a dusty dirty arse paddle brush & expect to keep clients that are serious about their hair.

***, no thanks lady.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
i have a radom question why does my scalp alway itch. when i shapoo or just rinse or co wash i still have a mild itchy scalp and it get worse as time goes on so i have to wash it at lease once a week even though i want to wash less frequently. i have no problems with my hair journey other than watvhing my hair grow to much lol.

This happens to me occasionally. Usually means I need to oil my scalp. I use tee tree oil. After a couple weeks of doing this consistently my scalp gets back in order.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
OMG! (semi-long rant)

My friend that usually cornrows my hair is out of town on vacation, so I decided to look up local hairdressers that can do cornrows for under $35.00.

I found a very sweet lady that works in a salon, and she stated that if I came with my hair washed and blowdried, she would only charge $25.00 to do them for me. Her stylist profile said that she specializes in healthy hair.

I was ecstatic.

Soooo, I called and scheduled an appointment Yesterday.

Today I went to my appointment, and she let me know that it would only take 20 minutes or so to do my request (10 straight back cornrows for under my wig).

I sat down in my chair, and then to my dismay, she pulls out a paddle brush..A paddle brush full of shed/broken hair and/or weave and she thinks she is about to use that on my hair..

ME: *Pause*.. Do you have anything else you can use on my hair.. because I generally do not use brushes.

HER: Pulls out a fine tooth rat tail black comb (that one would use to do a roller set)..

ME: Do you have a comb with wider teeth?

HER (with an attitude): No, but you can go the next street over to the beauty supply store and buy a comb that you think is more suitable for your needs.

ME: Blank Stare.. Okay, sure I'll be right back..

I then proceeded to head on over to Chick Fil-A for lunch, ran a few errands and then went back to my house to rest before my plans at 8pm.

How does a STYLIST at a SALON that *claims* she specializes in healthy hair practices only have one raggedy arse rat tail comb + a dusty dirty arse paddle brush & expect to keep clients that are serious about their hair.

***, no thanks lady.

That's awful and LOL @ "sure, I'll be right back...". Girl you know she was standing there looking out the window like, I know it don't take that dang on long to walk to the BS, LOL! I'm glad you walked out on that craziness.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

TaylorT

Hey Ladies,

I'm late but I'd like to join.

Current hair length
Shoulder Length

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
4b/a Natural. Very Fine.

Goal Month
December (I'm sure I won't make it by this time but I should be closer)

Current Reggie and styling choices
Don't really have a set regimen.
I typically deep condition once or twice every two weeks and co-wash several times during the week.
My go to style is my good ole' puff but I'm currently in a sew in.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
A lot more protective styling and moisturizing. I FINNNNNAALLY made it to should length and can create a decent ponytail/bun (while my natural hair is straight). That makes me so happy!!:drunk:

Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• image-809333694.jpg
    image-809333694.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

apple_natural

i'm bummed. i'm going to have to clip my ends. i need to clip off 1.5 inches (at least from the hair that is in the braid i'm looking at). i have got to up my conditioning and tie my hair up at night. if its not heat, then its me neglecting conditioning. i'm so tired of bad ends. i need to get it together.

if i cut the 1.5 inches, i'll need 4 inches to make apl. i only get about 2 inches every 3 months. it will take me 6 months to get 4 inches (if i dont have to clip again).

i'm probably not going to make apl until april because i bet i am going to have to clip another 1.5 by then just to retain 4 inches from now until then.

uuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i'm so mad
------------

freak out officially nearing its end. i straightened the piece of hair. trimmed a little with my new scissors and it looks good again. they were just knots not splits :)... note to self: calm the fn;wonfo; down.

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@apple_natural

I am a also a member of the APL by April crew.

We will make it! Yes We Will! April 2014 its on!!

Here is my August length check. I am at the 2 & 3 line. Full APL for me is at line 5. (sorry for the bad pic..I had to use the self timer.. and this is the best out of the ones I took):

Attachments

• P1180429.JPG
    P1180429.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 77

WhereItsAt

That’s what I do.. I drink and I know things....
Not quite sure I will make APL this year. Had to cut another half an inch bc of more broken hairs. I feel defeated right now.. Idk.. I might just cut up to neck length and grow from there. I'm not sure yet.

I guess I have manipulated it too much this month.. Back to sew ins I go in about two weeks..

Hyacinthe

Hey Ladies,haven't been posting much but im back n have I got a story to tell.
so about 4 weeks ago i was getting ready to go on my Vacation n I decided to just go with my natural hair opposed to braids or weaves so anyway the day before i leave i washed my hair at home n went to a Dominican salon for a blowout n a flat iron well when i finally got in the stylist chair she pulls out this nasty looking flat iron.
The thing looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the purchased date.
The plates were covered in residue,so i asked if she could use another flat iron cuz that one was not going to be used in my hair.
Her collegue which was a black jamaican lady was nice enough to provide her with her flat iron.
Then came time to blow dry ,mind you by this time she is giving me serious attitude,i provided my heat protectant n told her to go easy on the heat .my hair is texlaxed n looks coarser that it really is . She insisted that in order to get it looking nice i needed a lot of heat.she then sprayed to much of the heat protectant so i tried to explain that if she uses too much my hair will be weighed down. Well that was it she told me to get out of her salon n find someone else to do my hair. I was like well better you tell me now than me later having to fight you for burning thru my cuticle structure.
Next year my goal is to learn how to relax,blow dry n flatiron my hair become totally self reliant with the help of God I will achieve my hair goals.

I am believing for Apl by Dec.
I need a trim im one of those heads of hair that always needs an annual trim to keep things in check...sigh

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

davisbr88

Hyacinthe: Good for you! I'm so happy you spoke up and didn't let her do all kinds of crazy stuff to you.
You had me nervous the whole time I read that thinking you were about to tell us about a massive setback.
I can't believe she told you to get out, though. How unprofessional can you get????

summertimewine

*sips tea*
Hi everyone! I just reached shoulder length! It took me 11 months to go from bald to shoulder length, my hair grew from zero to eight inches in a year but I'm not quite sure how many inches I need until APL. I won't be there by December :spinning: but I decided to seek out my other sisters that are trying to get to APL :grin:

xu93texas

Hi everyone! I just reached shoulder length! It took me 11 months to go from bald to shoulder length, my hair grew from zero to eight inches in a year but I'm not quite sure how many inches I need until APL. I won't be there by December :spinning: but I decided to seek out my other sisters that are trying to get to APL :grin:

Congratulations! I'm not in this challenge, but I have to ask for regimen and details ,please. I'm 12 months post BC, but nowhere near SL.