APL`13 Challenge

summertimewine

*sips tea*
xu93texas Sure! I've lived exclusively doing wash n go's. I had yarn braids for 3 weeks but I think they messed up my ends and were more trouble than they were worth. Anyways I:
Shampoo once every two weeks with Shea Moisture Moisture Retention/Shea Moisture African Black Soap (the bar of soap not the liquid)
After shampoo I do a protein treatment with Aphogee Two Minute, now that my hair is longer I finger detangle while the protein treatment is in, and then brush through my hair with my Denman (sp) brush. I leave treatment in for 10 minutes (includes detangling)
I deep condition for 40 minutes with heat. I use Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque or Giovanni 2chic (I love this one)
I cowash the deep conditioner out with some conditioner that doesn't have protein.
During weeks I don't use protein or shampoo I usually cowash with mane n tail to get a little protein in my hair.
After washing/cowashing
I rake KCKT through my hair
I rake KCCC and Shea Moisture Style and Curl milk simultaneously.
I finish with Jojoba oil throughout my entire head and castor oil on my ends.
Then I shake my head and put a shirt on my head for 10 minutes.

I sleep with a satin cap and pillowcase and I also take Spirulina.
And I cowash every three days usually.

I hope that was enough detail! If you have any more questions let me know!

xu93texas

frogkisses

Thank you:) I did the BC, but relaxed 6 months later. I'm really thinking about transitioning this time around; not sure. Your growth and retention is awesome; you'll be APL in no time.

apple_natural

frogkisses so i'm not the only one whose braids kill their ends. i loved my long kinky twists until i saw my ends when i took them down. i can't stand to have bad ends. i'm still dealing with it. i have to take my braids down to clip all my ends and try to figure out what to do with it afterwards.

i think the box braids i have now are not a problem if only i would tie them up at night and moisturize. they take longer to put in, but they keep my ends in better order.

summertimewine

*sips tea*
xu93texas the twa stage is hard :/ I'm glad I BC'd because it gave me a new sense of confidence but I wouldn't do it again! But I hope to have APL soon enough! Thanks for the encouragement!
apple_natural yeah because I couldn't get to my ends they ended up being dry and crispy by the time I took my braids down. So I have been DCing and using protein and it has helped, but I know I'll have to trim soon because they still feel bad. I need a style where I can get to my ends easily!

Rozlewis

Well on my way to APL. I actually think I am grazing APL but wont claim it until I am full APL. Good luck everyone.

apple_natural

@apple_natural yeah because I couldn't get to my ends they ended up being dry and crispy by the time I took my braids down. So I have been DCing and using protein and it has helped, but I know I'll have to trim soon because they still feel bad. I need a style where I can get to my ends easily!

me tooo! im tired of trimming my hair so much and being set back because of horrible ends

@apple_natural: YES! Mini braids on my own hair caused a horrible setback for me in 2011. My ends felt like velcro after those things!

right!? thats how my ends feel now.. after my kinky twists. they are just hidden in box braids, but i fear i'm going to have to do a major trim AGAIN!! grrrrr

Last edited:

summertimewine

*sips tea*
apple_natural Yeah I am forever done with braids of any kind. I might start wiggin it if I notice that my hair needs to be in a PS, but so far WNG are working great! But my ends are rubbing against my shoulders now so I may try and bun, but I know I don't have enough hair :/ Anyway my first trim will probably be when I straighten for my one year anniversary! I'll be doing it by myself

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Texlaxed yesterday with Affirm fiberguard + got a trim.

Anticipatience08

This is an unofficial length check pic, right after I took out my install. I was supposed to keep my sew-in until next Friday but that thang was leanin' on the everlasting arms :lachen:

What length can I unofficially claim??

Sad thing is, these next few days until I get my next install will be my first time getting to know MY hair and its texture. I've been weaved up for so long out of fear of not knowing what to do with my hair in its relaxed OR natural state. This is going to be interesting LOL! Good thing I have LHCF for help.

yaya24

You look like you are past APL in the back.
Congrats!!!

pearlific1

This is an unofficial length check pic, right after I took out my install. I was supposed to keep my sew-in until next Friday but that thang was leanin' on the everlasting arms :lachen:

Sad thing is, these next few days until I get my next install will be my first time getting to know MY hair and its texture. I've been weaved up for so long out of fear of not knowing what to do with my hair in its relaxed OR natural state. This is going to be interesting LOL! Good thing I have LHCF for help.

You're past APL & around BSB! Congrats!!!!!!

summertimewine

*sips tea*

You are definitely past APL! Congratulations :grin:

apple_natural

Anticipatience08 wooo hooo!!! you look way past APL and even at BSL! what are you doing this in this challenge!?? :) you could be in the BSL 2013 challenge (if not already :) Great job!

I wouldn't know what to do if i had BSL hair. My natural hair has never made it that long yet. I hope that I'm looking at hair as long as yours this time next year though!
Wishin and hopin and thinkin and prayin

--

I've been prepoo'ing with oil since about 9 last night. i'm tempted to keep it in all day even though i want to go to garage sales today or at least Starbucks. I can straighten it later this evening or tomorrow afternoon. I'm scared to straighten it, but i have to clip my ends.

angie4ever

Current hair length - TWA
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning -TRANSITIONING
Goal - APL
Month Current Reggie and styling choices- box braids and kinky twists

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Post a beginning picture
My regimen massaging my scalp more often

summertimewine

*sips tea*
I just trimmed my hair last night :grin: I am soooo glad my hair was straight trippin before this trim. My hair was tangling so bad it took me 30 minutes to detangle CBL hair. So I blow dried my hair, and attempted to straighten my hair. My ends were so bad that my hair couldn't get straight because the ends were so frizzy and frazzled. I cut off about 1/2 inch all around putting me at exactly shoulder, maybe a bit longer. I put Shea Moisture deep treatment on my fresh ends and left it for about 10 hours (I had to work). I shampooed with a sulfate to get all silicones off my hair then DC'd with AOHSR. That DC is the BOMB :lick: I finally purchased Dr. Bronners Coconut oil and my hair loves it! Also my hair is curling better and responding to moisture better. Thank goodness for that trim :grin:

Anticipatience08

@Anticipatience08 wooo hooo!!! you look way past APL and even at BSL! what are you doing this in this challenge!?? :) you could be in the BSL 2013 challenge (if not already :) Great job!

I wouldn't know what to do if i had BSL hair. My natural hair has never made it that long yet. I hope that I'm looking at hair as long as yours this time next year though!
Wishin and hopin and thinkin and prayin

--

I've been prepoo'ing with oil since about 9 last night. i'm tempted to keep it in all day even though i want to go to garage sales today or at least Starbucks. I can straighten it later this evening or tomorrow afternoon. I'm scared to straighten it, but i have to clip my ends.

Thanks so much!! This is my first challenge, and I thought it would take me until the end of the year to get to APL haha :drunk: Looks like I'm gonna try for full BSL by December (the sides are just APL now, and the back is longer uggh!)

But if I can do it, you DEFINITELY can do it!!

yaya24

Confession: I am terrified to do my own relaxer. Self relaxing new growth scares me. I did my correction relaxer application back in July which was a breeze b/c I did not have to be careful with the application.

So for Wednesday's TU, I went to my old stylist from 2006 (the only stylist I have never 100% trusted with my hair) and let her know that I wanted my hair texlaxed and explained exactly what I wanted.

This was the first time I visited her salon since 2009.

I came with my previously texlaxed hair already layered in Aphogee essential fatty acids oil (old school version) + Porosity Control.

She used Affirm Fiber Guard in regular strength, did a VERY quick application with minimal smoothing and honestly did a great job + a complementary light trim/ dust.

I will be back to her in 10-12 weeks.

The only reason why I stopped going to her in 2009 was because she was against my decision to go natural.- She said that not everyone's texture is good for natural hair :sad:.

So, I stopped going to her after my BC April 2009 (I was 10 weeks post relaxer).

Well I'm back :lol::lol::lol:..

I told her she will see me again for my next TU.

We discussed the current state of my hair, and I let her know my concerns (dry hair). She said that my hair was in great condition, but to lay off of the weekly protein treatments.. and try to limit my protein to 1x a month.

I am going to take her advice and see how my hair responds.

Times have def changed-
She is a believer (now) in stretching relaxers out at least 10-12 weeks (vs back when I was a client- she used to suggest 6-8 weeks).

Jobwright

yaya24. Glad everything worked out well. My stylist was apprehensive too about the mid step protein and didn't understand the honey thing during the DC. But, she is coming around. This hair thing is a ministry in itself and I am trying to reach the masses, at least with my stylist. I will see her again for an appt in about 16 weeks, but we see each other often, off the clock. She is always amazed at how well my hat is retaining without her. I tell her her the secrets I learn on here, but she has to accept the truth and share with her clients too. Time will tell if she really comes around from that every 6 weeks relaxer and 5 min DC she THINKS works. I know my hair needs stretching, 1 hr DCs with honey and moisturizing DC ONLY. Lord help when I tell her about tea rinsing...

yaya24

Jobwright

Thats great that you have a good relationship with your stylist, and that she is coming around.

Keep on schooling these folks about healthy hair practices!!! Kudos to you girl!

I think my stylist is lurking the forums/ youtube b/c she did a mid step protein step without me asking, and she said something about using oils to seal in the moisture... I was surprised (to say the least).

beautyintheyes

I'm so annoyed with my hair only on side is apl so my hair down looks shoulder length! How long will it take till I can were it down and it look long!

yaya24

I have a section of my hair that is significantly shorter than the rest too.
Its my right side toward the front.

I plan on paying special attention to that section when it come to M&S nightly.

Ravenhairedbeauty

I have the same problem with the back of my hair its two inches shorter than both sides of my front hair, I've been putting a lot of extra peppermint and rosemary essential oils on it along with jbco.

Gryphyn

This was my original goal month and my longest layers are at APL. I think December is more realistic for full APL for me, especially now that I'm transitioning and I'm on a regular trim schedule.

Last edited:

Hyacinthe

Its back to PS'n for me,believing to hit APL by december.
I let my hair down literally for an entire month now Im back on my grind to reach my mini goal. Hope everyone is doing good and Congrats to all the graduates!:yep:

pearlific1

I got tired of my severely under processed hair so I went to a new stylist to get a relaxer last Friday. When she finished, my hair was SUPER straight and silky. I'd forgotten how much I love straight hair until I got a good look at it and it started blowing in the wind :lol: I was a little worried that I was over processed based on how straight it turned out.

After kayaking 13 miles in rain yesterday, I decided to shampoo and do a hardcore protein treatment today since I didn't do one the week before my relaxer. Once water hit my hair, I was pleasantly surprised to see slightly curly/wavy hair! The stylist only took the bulk out of my hair; it's more texlaxed now than it was before. I.Love.It.So.Much. :yep: I got another trim (trimming will be my downfall!) So I'm pretty sure that unless a miracle happens, I won't make APL until next year since I need about 3". Oh well. At least I love my hair again.

Jobwright

Random length check...I don't know if I will make it this year, but cowashing often seems to really boost my growth rate. Also started back with NJoys oil so we shall see.

Attachments

• image-353333778.jpg
    image-353333778.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 60

kandegirl

Do you use a net underneath your sew-ins? Also how do u keep your hair moisturizer while you are in sew ins? Oils?
Any particular products you can recommend?

yoli184, I'm just seeing this post b/c I was going back through the thread.

I always us a net.

I put different stuff on my braids including: Hawaiian Silkly 14 n 1 spray, African Royale Braid Spray or African Pride Braid Spray or Fantasia IC leave -in.
Oils- JBCO, Vatika Oil and Oil w/ Sulfur in it