APL`13 Challenge

Mz.MoMo5235

Sorry I've been mia guys. No more internet so I can only access from my phone which is not fun.

Any way, not the best length check but I figured it will do lol

20130911_210241-1.jpg

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

apple_natural

brittle_hair your hair is thick and healthy looking. i love that its even for the most part. thats my goal. you're close to APL! it looks great!

Mz.MoMo5235 your hair has really pretty curls and you are extremely close if not there when stretched like a half inch more. pretty!

brittle_hair

brittle_hair your hair is thick and healthy looking. i love that its even for the most part. thats my goal. you're close to APL! it looks great!]

apple_natural thanks for the encouragement - my hair started off in a U/V shape like in my avatar and I think it either grew out of the U and/or my hairdresser has been chopping off the tip with each trim - which maybe means I could have been APL a while ago. But I also prefer the even look so can't really complain.

apple_natural

@brittle_hair your hair is thick and healthy looking. i love that its even for the most part. thats my goal. you're close to APL! it looks great!]

@apple_natural thanks for the encouragement - my hair started off in a U/V shape like in my avatar and I think it either grew out of the U and/or my hairdresser has been chopping off the tip with each trim - which maybe means I could have been APL a while ago. But I also prefer the even look so can't really complain.

even the u shape in your avatar looks good! lol what i like is that you don't have some strands running ahead. i've been trying to avoid that too. although one side of my front is longer than the other and i refuse to cut it because thats just how it grows, i don't want some strands to make apl while the rest of my hair takes until april lol.

brittle_hair

Yeh I know what you mean.

Here's a comparison I created from feb to now to spur myself on - I think my growth is probably below average though:

Attachments

• feb-sep_comparison.jpg
    feb-sep_comparison.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 83

BEAUTYU2U

Sorry I've been mia guys. No more internet so I can only access from my phone which is not fun.

Any way, not the best length check but I figured it will do lol

Dang, seems like you just faded it yesterday!

apple_natural

I've ditched my bunning idea already. I realized that its not better than braiding it up. Since i have to manipulate it more, probably clip it more, and see it more which would get on my nerves and lead to more clipping. I'll bun until Fall officially starts. Then, I'll keep it braided until Spring officially starts.

WhereItsAt

That’s what I do.. I drink and I know things....
Still hanging in there. I've trimmed again and I'm getting a sew in this coming weekend that I fully plan to leave in the rest of this year and just let her tighten and wash and condition as needed along with me moisturizing at home. I've left my hair out longer than I had planned and have not retained due to trimming and cutting. I'm 7 months post tex-lax and right now I feel like transitioning and just letting it grow under my sew in until it becomes unbearable to deal with two textures.

I honestly feel like I will be just shy of APL by years end and I'm ok with that at the moment... Even though its been 2 years since I chopped and I know my hair should be much longer than it is. I'm trying not to give up my dream for long hair but sometimes I feel defeated and discouraged..

apple_natural

Still hanging in there. I've trimmed again and I'm getting a sew in this coming weekend that I fully plan to leave in the rest of this year and just let her tighten and wash and condition as needed along with me moisturizing at home. I've left my hair out longer than I had planned and have not retained due to trimming and cutting. I'm 7 months post tex-lax and right now I feel like transitioning and just letting it grow under my sew in until it becomes unbearable to deal with two textures.

I honestly feel like I will be just shy of APL by years end and I'm ok with that at the moment... Even though its been 2 years since I chopped and I know my hair should be much longer than it is. I'm trying not to give up my dream for long hair but sometimes I feel defeated and discouraged..

i'd say you were on the right track. who cares if you have the length because of a few strands, but you lack the health and body that you are achieving by keeping up with your ends. try not to trim so much. i'm a recovering overtrimmer :). i relapse at times, but i just have to braid it up if its gets too much. if sew ins are what keep you out of your hair go for it.

we have abotu 4 months until the end of this year. you can do it!! no trim for the rest of the year!

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
this is the front as of Friday:

this is the back but it's partly curled

snoop

I just checked my hair goals from the beginning of the year and I was planning on reaching APL by December not February 2014! For the sake of new year's resolutions I'm gonna do it! Haha! Either way I'll need a good trim so I'll lose a bit of length.

IslandMummy

I picked up biotin, cod liver oil, and b complex vitamins. I'm committing myself to taking them for the next 30 days and then I'm adding horsetail tea and collagen in October.

I am serious about getting my hair back on track. The pregnancies and post partum really did a number on me combined with laziness.

TLC1020

Hey ladies, how is your journey to APL coming along? Home stretch is near and this is just about last quarter of the year :)

BEAUTYU2U

Ok, my hair feels GREAT! I think I'm attributing that to the aphogee 2-step treatment w/ silk elements megasilk conditioner. I washed and conditioned my hair a week or two ago with these products.

Last night I washed and conditioned with my Organix, leave-in was KCKT, followed with Sunny Isle EVCO. It feels so dreamy. I'm sticking to this routine.

davisbr88

I'm all twisted up in Senegalese twists, and plan to be for the next 5 weeks.
I am trying out a new regimen for scalp care and it seems to be working as my scalp is barely itchy anymore. It was keeping me up at night from itching so much when I first got them installed. I actually had to take Benadryl a few nights because it was so unbearable.
I'm pretty sure it's a reaction to the chemicals in the hair, but I have noticed that my scalp has been drier since moving to Texas, so I think it's a nice addition to have in my back pocket for when another itchy incident arrives.

If my scalp itches because it feels dry, I mist it with a mix of moisturizing and protein-based leave-in, filtered water, and a little jojoba oil (before I was only oiling my scalp and it was NOT helping). Once my scalp is no longer wet, I then oil to seal it in on the driest spots, mostly in my crown area so my scalp won't need to be sprayed everyday.

If my scalp itches because it has build-up and I'm trying not too wash (this would never happen on my hair outside of my extensions), I spray with a mix of filtered water and ACV (maybe like 90:10 ratio). Sometimes I follow up with a tea tree/peppermint oil/carrier oil mix to really cut through build-up, but I try not too use too many harsh things on my scalp at once.

This has been working really well for me, and I have been able to go 3 days in between treating my scalp as opposed to twice a day when I first started. Hopefully continuing to get my scalp on track will eventually lead to me not having to use the spray at all, and my scalp is happy until wash day every week.

1st question: do you all DC in extensions? I've had Senegalese a few times and I think only really DCed one of those times, and it never hurt my hair when I didn't the other times. I've just been using regular conditioner for a few minutes and rinsing out. I'm just wondering because I have never had dry scalp before or this brand of hair installed, so I am wondering if my scalp is giving me clues about changing the way I treat my hair with these things in, too.

2nd question: have you all ever used coffee rinses or tea rinses while in extensions? I'm heading into shedding season soon and would love to mitigate this as much as possible.

snoop

Just did some mini braids on my own hair. Planning on keeping them in for 2 weeks and hoping that I can actually do 4. Afraid that if I did them smaller, that they'd loc.

tapioca_pudding

My bf commented that my hair is looking long. :giggle: Made me feel good.

I really feel like I might be able to hit APL before the end of 2013. I'm ecstatic.

Mz.MoMo5235

I picked up biotin, cod liver oil, and b complex vitamins. I'm committing myself to taking them for the next 30 days and then I'm adding horsetail tea and collagen in October.

I am serious about getting my hair back on track. The pregnancies and post partum really did a number on me combined with laziness.

Cod liver? That helps with hair? My gma made me take that stuff at the first sign of a cold. I can't stomach it :(

I did get some flavored fish oil. It doesn't taste bad but the texture is too similar and I start gagging. I just can't lol

Jobwright

I'm getting there...slowly but surely! Sorry the pics are sideways, don't know how to turn them... :spinning:

Attachments

• start 2013.JPG
    start 2013.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 45
  • March 29 length check.JPG
    March 29 length check.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 62
  • September 2013 Length Check.JPG
    September 2013 Length Check.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 49

IslandMummy

Cod liver? That helps with hair? My gma made me take that stuff at the first sign of a cold. I can't stomach it :( I did get some flavored fish oil. It doesn't taste bad but the texture is too similar and I start gagging. I just can't lol I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

I take the gel caps, omg mummy used to make me drink that crap every day :barf: I can't take the taste.

It's for overall health though not just my hair

hairqueen7

My hair is doing fine, got a lil secret to tell yall, I have been taking MN for about 3weeks only in the front hairline n edges because they were thinning not breaking but I think it was my wig wearing, but I cut that out my regimen for 1 month , but I want to go back so bad ,my hair is pissing me.off I do everything to it and it still doesn't look or feel like its growing n wen I do a pull test forget about it I have to run a go eat b4 I do something crazy n cut