April 2017: Hits & Missess

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Continued super duper hit:

Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque

The Eden Bodyworks mousse had my hair so dry. That SM masque had me in detangled juicy twists in 32 minutes. I keep forgetting just how amazing this stuff is on my hair! I need to rename it in my mind so I'll remember it's THE go-to. SM Post-style Manageable Hair Maker Revitalizing Love.

In a Jar.

ETA:
New Hit I Originally Esteemed a Miss:

Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter

This time I rubbed it in my palms and praying-hands-method'ed it into each section. My flexirod set came out very shiny, moisturized, and soft. There is a nice yet completely noncrunchy hold. I'm sold! So glad I didn't donate this away as I had originally meant to do.

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

Hit:
Kizuri Beauty Cocoa Vanilla DC- I love this! I lost very little hair. It detangled and melted into my strands leaving me with soft moisturized hair! This kind of reminded me of SD Vanilla Silk and it seemed like it belongs on her site. Lol

Miss:
Kizuri Beauty Cocoa Vanilla DC- seller not in business anymore @IDareT'sHair I know you used to love some of her products. Do u know of a dupe? Have u tried SD Chocolate Bliss or the Mocha Silk?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
New hit: Giovanni 2chic Ultra Moist shampoo. That stuff is amazing. The smell is light, the lather is rich and it doesn't leave any buildup.

Babyliss Pro Mini blow dryer. I have only used this once, but it was powerful. I dried my hair in less time and because it's small it was easy to operate.

Steady hits: Cristalliste, Therapiste, Densite, Masquintense, Keratine Thermique cream, grapeseed oil

Renewed hit: coconut oil. Evco is bae for real... my hair feels thicker, smoother and has more shine after just 1 use. My hair doesn't shed as much since I started doing overnight prepoos with it. I also put a little on my ends as needed.

AgeinATL

I know someone here compared it to B.A.S.K cocoa bark but I ain't paying $20 for a DC to do what a $8.00-10.00 DC did.

Naw. Not the same at all. The BASK is WAYYY thicker and denser so it has less slip. The kuzuri rinses cleaner while the BASK leaves a film. That film leaves the hair soft. If you are medium to high porosity, the BASK is for you. If you are LP, the BASK may be a bit too heavy.

It reminded me more of the old formula of Chocolate Bliss from SD. I didn't care for the kuzuri but I think @myronnie liked it. Maybe she can help?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Naw. Not the same at all. The BASK is WAYYY thicker and denser so it has less slip. The kuzuri rinses cleaner while the BASK leaves a film. It reminded me more of the old formula of Chocolate Bliss from SD. I didn't care for the kuzuri but I think @myronnie liked it. Maybe she can help?
@AgeinATL @gorgeoushair
Agreed w/Bolded :yep: Bekura's is uber thick/dense.

I don't remember the performance of that 'specific' DC'er from Kizuri - but boy I shole did love some of the Hair Butters/Lotions/Creams/ they had.:love2:

gorgeoushair

Naw. Not the same at all. The BASK is WAYYY thicker and denser so it has less slip. The kuzuri rinses cleaner while the BASK leaves a film. That film leaves the hair soft. If you are medium to high porosity, the BASK is for you. If you are LP, the BASK may be a bit too heavy.

It reminded me more of the old formula of Chocolate Bliss from SD. I didn't care for the kuzuri but I think @myronnie liked it. Maybe she can help?

They said the BASK was more messier but they performed about the same.

I was thinking SD Chocolate Bliss too although I've never tried it.

Destiny9109

New hit: Quantum Clarifying Shampoo(also a chelator)
Omg! Where has this been all my life? I stopped buying clarifying shampoo almost two years ago because I bought into the belief that any shampoo with sulfates will cleanse your hair good enough. I'm here to tell you that is a lie from the pits of hell:lachen:
After I shampooed my hair with this the conditioner just melted in my hair like butter on a hot biscuit. My hair is so soft and moisturized, before I used this I was starting to think that my conditioners were no longer working on my hair.

Ingredients:
Water, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium chloride, cocamide mipa, hydrolyzed vegetable protein pg-propyl silanetriol, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) fruit extract, tocopheryl acetate, cocamidopropyl betaine. tetrasodium edta, citric acid, polyquaternium-10, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, retinyl palmitate, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, glycerin, dmdm hydantoin, fragrance, ext.violet 2

Last edited:

vevster

HIT: Design Essentials Curl Enhancing Mousse..... layered over the Almond and Avocado Leave it left me with a really pretty wash and go considering I desperately need a haircut.

Alikay's Sage and Honey deep conditioner is great too. I smooth it on brittle ends and see the change immediately..... if only it didn't smell like..... cloves....
HOLY GRAIL. Beautiful, repeatable results. Now to get that for my twist outs.

vevster

I have this. Must revisit.

Continued super duper hit:

Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque

The Eden Bodyworks mousse had my hair so dry. That SM masque had me in detangled juicy twists in 32 minutes. I keep forgetting just how amazing this stuff is on my hair! I need to rename it in my mind so I'll remember it's THE go-to. SM Post-style Manageable Hair Maker Revitalizing Love.

In a Jar.

ETA:
New Hit I Originally Esteemed a Miss:

Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter

This time I rubbed it in my palms and praying-hands-method'ed it into each section. My flexirod set came out very shiny, moisturized, and soft. There is a nice yet completely noncrunchy hold. I'm sold! So glad I didn't donate this away as I had originally meant to do.

IronButterfly

I think you can mix it up until they are used.
Mix up my precious silicones with the natural lines? :eek: Are ye mad, woman????

Actually, I've been using some as pre-poos, bases for henna glosses, on my son's head...and if they suck, shaving cream. lol

Or I alternate between the two (rarely though since I'm :2inlove: with my silicones).

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have this. Must revisit.

I've found that SM's products are super hit and miss for folks. Their products are so individually effective. Example: If I could, I would DESTROY EVERY JAR in the universe of Shea Moisture's SUPERFRUIT COMPLEX 10-IN-1 RENEWAL SYSTEM HAIR MASQUE. To save people! :lol: (It took me WEEKS to recovery from the assault that stuff took out on my hair. But there are people who swear by it: It's holy grail for them.)

Also, I realize that because of the name "masque," it took me a long time to realize that I don't actually use it as a masque. I was using it as a post-style prepoo and/or cowash without realizing it. Had I realized that earlier, then I feel I could have saved myself some bad detangling sessions and product purchasing, because then every time at the end of a style's life, I would have KNOWN to think "now reach for the SM masque to protect and prep the hair before handling it too much." Instead, at first I would do so instinctively ONLY when my hair was super tangled . . . and otherwise I was only using it to try to DC with it, to try to force it to be a "masque."

Anyhoo, especially now that I've repurposed it, I love it. Don't evah want to be without it. And that's the ONLY Shea Moisture product I care to own, crazily! LOL!

Alma Petra

I've found that SM's products are super hit and miss for folks. Their products are so individually effective. Example: If I could, I would DESTROY EVERY JAR in the universe of Shea Moisture's SUPERFRUIT COMPLEX 10-IN-1 RENEWAL SYSTEM HAIR MASQUE. To save people! :lol: (It took me WEEKS to recovery from the assault that stuff took out on my hair. But there are people who swear by it: It's holy grail for them.)

Also, I realize that because of the name "masque," it took me a long time to realize that I don't actually use it as a masque. I was using it as a post-style prepoo and/or cowash without realizing it. Had I realized that earlier, then I feel I could have saved myself some bad detangling sessions and product purchasing, because then every time at the end of a style's life, I would have KNOWN to think "now reach for the SM masque to protect and prep the hair before handling it too much." Instead, at first I would do so instinctively ONLY when my hair was super tangled . . . and otherwise I was only using it to try to DC with it, to try to force it to be a "masque."

Anyhoo, especially now that I've repurposed it, I love it. Don't evah want to be without it. And that's the ONLY Shea Moisture product I care to own, crazily! LOL!
So now you use it as a detangler?

vevster

Ok, so you use it a a pre poo? Cause I want to use it the same way you do.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So now you use it as a detangler?

Ok, so you use it a a pre poo? Cause I want to use it the same way you do.

:yep:

I do: I let it multitask. Nothing softens my hair like it. The effect is INSTANT.

Aside: I noticed that Abena (EmbraceNBeauty / Embrace Natural Beauty) has several jars of it in her new salon (via video on Periscope). I sent her a note to find out how she uses it for her clients.​

So, I apply it to dirty hair before I shampoo. At first, I was VERY averse to this, but I read some LHCF posts about folks who do the condition-cleanse-condition method using a DC as the first conditioner. It is to protect the hair from the full effects of shampoo.

So, I do very beginning-stage detangling with the SM hipo masque after I've let it either shower-steam-in or sit in my hair for however long (30 minutes to 2 hours or so) under a bonnet dryer or my thermal cap. By beginning-stage detangling after it has steamed in, I mean elongating and unfurling and de-webbing and stretching and finger detangling. Then, if I apply water and/or oil on top of it, I can do my funnel method detangling that I do to completely detangle a hair such that a Wet Brush and even a fine-tooth comb can slide through.

I've been torn: Soultanicals Hair Glide is superior at detangling more fully and upon contact (no steam in needed). And it makes a good prepoo for my hair. But the SM hipo masque is available on the ground and in a pinch. All I have to do is add either water and/or oil to get it slippery enough to permit the same type of detangling as the Hair Glide . . . and before that I am able to let it condition and soften the hair.

Here are the ingredients of the SM hipo masque:

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter**, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Adansonia Digitata Seed Extract, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Ricinodendron Rautanenii (Mongongo) Seed Oil, Vinegar, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Sodium Benzoate.

Alma Petra

:yep:

I do: I let it multitask. Nothing softens my hair like it. The effect is INSTANT.

Aside: I noticed that Abena (EmbraceNBeauty / Embrace Natural Beauty) has several jars of it in her new salon (via video on Periscope). I sent her a note to find out how she uses it for her clients.​

So, I apply it to dirty hair before I shampoo. At first, I was VERY averse to this, but I read some LHCF posts about folks who do the condition-cleanse-condition method using a DC as the first conditioner. It is to protect the hair from the full effects of shampoo.

So, I do very beginning-stage detangling with the SM hipo masque after I've let it either shower-steam-in or sit in my hair for however long (30 minutes to 2 hours or so) under a bonnet dryer or my thermal cap. By beginning-stage detangling after it has steamed in, I mean elongating and unfurling and de-webbing and stretching and finger detangling. Then, if I apply water and/or oil on top of it, I can do my funnel method detangling that I do to completely detangle a hair such that a Wet Brush and even a fine-tooth comb can slide through.

I've been torn: Soultanicals Hair Glide is superior at detangling more fully and upon contact (no steam in needed). And it makes a good prepoo for my hair. But the SM hipo masque is available on the ground and in a pinch. All I have to do is add either water and/or oil to get it slippery enough to permit the same type of detangling as the Hair Glide . . . and before that I am able to let it condition and soften the hair.

Here are the ingredients of the SM hipo masque:

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter**, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Adansonia Digitata Seed Extract, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Ricinodendron Rautanenii (Mongongo) Seed Oil, Vinegar, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Sodium Benzoate.
This makes me want to ask a stupid question: what is the main function of a deep conditioner? I have just bought Mielle Organics Babassu oil DC and I didn't feel a lot of difference in my hair, from what I get after my regular rinse out (this is like the 4th or 5th DC I have tried with no effects and I'm disappointed)

Daina

This makes me want to ask a stupid question: what is the main function of a deep conditioner? I have just bought Mielle Organics Babassu oil DC and I didn't feel a lot of difference in my hair, from what I get after my regular rinse out (this is like the 4th or 5th DC I have tried with no effects and I'm disappointed)

@Alma Petra, rinse out conditioners don't leave my hair as soft. Maybe because I don't leave it in as long as a DC. I love the Mielle Organics babbasu mint conditioner. I find it works best with heat for at least 30 minutes.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit and Miss:
APB Cucumber Cream (?)

It's a hit because it comes in a jar, is similar in texture to the Capuacu and Avocado lotion and goes on well. Nice, light Cucumber smell.

Miss because it's too light for my hair. Sound weird being that it's similar in texture to the C&A and Ginger Root Growth Lotion, however, it's just not as moisturizing. I heavy sealed this week and my hair feels soft, but like it needs moisture. I changed two items last wash day, but since one was a butter, I doubt that made a difference.

While I'm going to use up my jar and it is not a repurchase, for someone with thin strands, I can see this being very effective.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

@Alma Petra, that is the story of my life, LOL.

I have tried so many DCs (10? 15?) that appeared to have done NOTHING for my hair after rinse-out. It's like I never even used a DC: My hair feels dry, etc. after use.

Only one time have I rinsed a DC and my hair was left feeling and looking moisturized: the time I used Camille Rose Naturals Coconut water hair penetrating treatment. That day, I had used ALL new products (LOL!!!), so I have no idea if it was just the CRN treatment or some combo/pairing of products that made it work. I just recently got it and will try it again to see!

Here is a short article explaining the difference between LI conditioners, regular RO conditioners, and deep conditioners. It echoes what folks have above posted. :smile:

https://keevaorganics.com/blogs/the-keeva-buzz/deep-leave-in-normal-conditioner