BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

Washed, DC and put my hair in tiny twists and into a bun. I will be wearing my hair like this for a while (at least until April 30th update). I am focusing really hard on retaining. My hair doesn't want to budge from being around 9-10" :ohwell:. Its pretty frustrating. So I will keep it twisted. Sigh...

I got so frustrated with my hair. I have super fine hair, so every hairstyle i put it in its "Frizz-City". OMG. I think I got some breakage due to manipulation and braiding it dry. I hope that wouldn't cause a setback. It's currently in a install, so I could get my mind off of it. I hoping to keep it in until the end of May.

RegaLady I feel your pain. My hair is about the same length and it just hovering around 9" and 10". I am about 2" from BSL and it annoying me because I want to be there so bad so I could be MBL soon. But I'm trying to set it (my hair) and kind of forget it (the goals).

Last edited:
^^^My hair isn't "super fine" but its fine and I have the same problems with frizz with every hairstyle and also the tiniest little things causing breakage. Its very annoying. I want some yarn braids or some other type of twist extensions but I am just too scared.

I want to be APL by our length check for the end of April. But I'm having my doubts. If I am there it will be just barely. My retention/growth the past year has been unimpressive but I told myself as long as I am moving forward, however slow the pace may be, that I will be thankful for that and just do the best I can to make it better. I think over the past year I've probably only retained about 3 inches. Whereas the year before I retained almost 6 inches.

so i tried the shea moisture coconut & hibiscus shampoo and honestly to me, it's nothing to write home about. eh. didnt really hydrate my hair like it says. my hair wasnt completely dry or straw from it, but it was a little rough feeling. so, all in all...i'll use this up and then wont re-buy.

Thanks, I appreciate the review.

I am incorporating a mix of AVJ + glycerin in my regimen. Hopefully this will help with the brittle, breaking hair. I really did a number on my ends during March. So I will need to at least snip the ends. And hopefully I can start showing recovery in April.

Question: Has anyone in here put castor oil in their conditioner for when they cowash? I know castor oil has some cleansing properties. Plus, it's thick and gives my hair that extra oomph it needs sometimes.

Anyone ever done it? Get good results? Since warm weather is approaching, I'm about to get my cowashing back on!

Oh and quick update, my hair is in big twists right now pulled back in a bun. I wanted to put my hair in 2 french braids, but I got too tired lol. My hair is too thick for me to do it myself lol. I'm thinking about braiding my hair... I'm not doing extensions for a while (I swear I loved my Poetic Justice braids, but they added 2 pounds to my head lol), So I might braid it into a faux hawk with twists in the middle.

We'll see!

Question: Has anyone in here put castor oil in their conditioner for when they cowash? I know castor oil has some cleansing properties. Plus, it's thick and gives my hair that extra oomph it needs sometimes.

Anyone ever done it? Get good results? Since warm weather is approaching, I'm about to get my cowashing back on!

Oh and quick update, my hair is in big twists right now pulled back in a bun. I wanted to put my hair in 2 french braids, but I got too tired lol. My hair is too thick for me to do it myself lol. I'm thinking about braiding my hair... I'm not doing extensions for a while (I swear I loved my Poetic Justice braids, but they added 2 pounds to my head lol), So I might braid it into a faux hawk with twists in the middle.

We'll see!

This isn't what you asked but maybe an alternative. I massage castor oil or a castor oil blend in my scalp and hair at least 30 minutes prior to washing or the night before if I plan well. Sometimes I sit under my heat cap for 20 minutes. Then I will wash or cowash. This allows me to give my scalp extra treatment.

I do it this way so I

Just a small update. The first picture is my hair on 12/30/11. The second picture is my hair on 3/24/12. The angles in the pictures are off, because my 6'2 husband took the first picture, and my 5ft nothing mom took the second. You can see the growth if you look at my tattoo in each picture. I have had one dusting on 2/18. I think I might keep it braided in individuals for the rest of the year. We shall see.

Hopefully this time you all can actually see my pictures. Can someone let me know if they open up?

Attachments

• hair 12.30.jpg
    hair 12.30.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 562924_10100391319619471_33014914_44774382_1872238545_n.jpg
    562924_10100391319619471_33014914_44774382_1872238545_n.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 67
Just a small update. The first picture is my hair on 12/30/11. The second picture is my hair on 3/24/12. The angles in the pictures are off, because my 6'2 husband took the first picture, and my 5ft nothing mom took the second. You can see the growth if you look at my tattoo in each picture. I have had one dusting on 2/18. I think I might keep it braided in individuals for the rest of the year. We shall see.

Hopefully this time you all can actually see my pictures. Can someone let me know if they open up?

Good Progress!:grin:

soo yesterday i flat ironed.. just to treat myself and to do a good detangling. my strands touch bsl but at the end of the year i need a good trim so i need to grow it like two inches past BSL then i can trim and have nicer looking ends. i do dust monthly however
i cnt wait until my hair is full bsl i think i need a good 3 more inches all around

in the second pic my roomie brushed it together and was all to ready to cut my ends :lachen:

Attachments

• IMG_20120408_141114 2.jpg
    IMG_20120408_141114 2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20120408_144130.jpg
    IMG_20120408_144130.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 94
Been thinking about French braiding my nape hair to keep it protected. The hair back there is starting to rub against my collar even in its shrunken state. Anybody else tried this method?

Been thinking about French braiding my nape hair to keep it protected. The hair back there is starting to rub against my collar even in its shrunken state. Anybody else tried this method?

Yes I tried this method and it works my neck is my weak spot too so I have to keep it protected as well

^^^My hair isn't "super fine" but its fine and I have the same problems with frizz with every hairstyle and also the tiniest little things causing breakage. Its very annoying. I want some yarn braids or some other type of twist extensions but I am just too scared.

I want to be APL by our length check for the end of April. But I'm having my doubts. If I am there it will be just barely. My retention/growth the past year has been unimpressive but I told myself as long as I am moving forward, however slow the pace may be, that I will be thankful for that and just do the best I can to make it better. I think over the past year I've probably only retained about 3 inches. Whereas the year before I retained almost 6 inches.

Yesss! This has been my story:nono:. I have been sooo unimpressed by my retention this year, particularly the last 6 months.

I may have to go back to what my hair knows best and that is twisting and baggying all day everyday when at home. My hair loves warm moisture. It thrives in that environment and it looks like that is what I will go back to doing. So I am back in twists (in a bun). And I plan to leave it in until a meet up and baggy all day everyday. I want to get in the habit of leaving my twists alone for 4 weeks. Less manipulation is a goal of mine.

Did an impromptu length check. 1.5" away from grazing BSL!!! Hopepully be the time we have our length check at the end of the month I'll be BSB. Im so excited my hair hasn't been this long since I was 12!

ETA: Pic

35df1350-855e-4386-8535-b22a86c6d154.jpg

Last edited:
My mom came to visit me so I had her take my April length check pic (Starting pic in post #45)

Attachments

• April 12' LC.jpg
    April 12' LC.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 98
I would love to get rid of my layers completely, but my beautician disagrees and I am too lazy to find a new one. I generally get it cut elsewhere, go to her for wash & style and then she puts layers in without my consent.

I bought a few wigs and a ponytails so that I can give my hair a break. It does seem I do better with low manipulation as far as gaining length. I need to keep my hair out of hands if I want to make it over the APL hump. I was hoping to make BSL by summer, but I think I may have to push that back to October or so.

Hey ladies. I may have to drop out of this challenge. Due to over processing, I've incurred a lot of breakage in the front portion of my hair :sad:. I wasn't coloring & relaxing my hair at proper intervals last year. Completely my fault for not being patient. Anywho, I plan on getting a cute short cut in a few days. I took a length check pic last night after I trimmed my ends over 1".

Attachments

• image-659548178.jpg
    image-659548178.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 63
I would love to get rid of my layers completely, but my beautician disagrees and I am too lazy to find a new one. I generally get it cut elsewhere, go to her for wash & style and then she puts layers in without my consent.

:heated: :freakout: Oh my God, my old stylist use to chop my hair without my consent. Isn't that hair assault?

My mom came to visit me so I had her take my April length check pic (Starting pic in post #45)

:look:
For a person who was talking about dropping out of the challenge you sure 'nough almost at our goal of bsl. shame on you for even entertaining the thought!!!:rolleyes:

MsKikiStar
((HUG))
Sorry to hear about your hair. Enjoy your new cut!

I always get tempted to cut my hair around this time of year. I'm so glad that I invested in pixie style wigs instead. I never would've made it this far.

WHOHOO!! Length checks in two weeks! :D

MzSwift thank you :hug2:.
I'm thinking of getting a Meagan Good type style, even if the front needs a few tracks added for length & fullness. A apart of me wants to keeping going, but there's no point. The breakage is just too bad - multiple spots right in the front and it's really noticeable to me even pulled back into a ponytail :cry4:.
But it's just hair, right? It''ll grow back. If I chicken out at the last minute, I'll let you all know. LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 47
MzSwift thank you :hug2:.
I'm thinking of getting a Meagan Good type style, even if the front needs a few tracks added for length & fullness. A apart of me wants to keeping going, but there's no point. The breakage is just too bad - multiple spots right in the front and it's really noticeable to me even pulled back into a ponytail :cry4:.
But it's just hair, right? It''ll grow back. If I chicken out at the last minute, I'll let you all know. LOL.

MsKikiStar What about a layered bob (like Nicole Richie used to have)? From the pics it really doesn't look like your hair is so damaged that has to be cut short as Megan Goode's. Whatever the decision, hopefully you'll find a solution that makes you happy. :bighug:

Last edited:
Imani unfortunately I'm not a fan of a bob (or layers...it tok forever to get rid of the layers I had). Plus, there's a 12" difference between my crown/nape and the broken areas in the front. In the previous post, the pic attached only showed one side of my head. The breakage is pretty much sporadic across the front :nono:. I guess I'll see what the stylist suggests and make a decision then.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

:look:
For a person who was talking about dropping out of the challenge you sure 'nough almost at our goal of bsl. shame on you for even entertaining the thought!!!:rolleyes:

The thing is I suffered from severe shedding and breakage on my right side (in the front) so I didn't think it was appropriate to calim BSL/BSB and one side of my head is lookin' all kinds of crazy. But I've been using castor oil and have been keeping it in conrows and it has been really making a difference.

Thanks again for the encouragement ladies. you all are awesome!

ETA: I also started GNC Ultranourish hair vitamins and Hair, Skin nail vitamins on April 5th.

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Just wanted to give a little reggie update.....

As some of you know, I've been experimenting with protein in my regimen. What I've settled into that's worked out beatifully is weekly Aphogee 2 minute treatments, which I baggie with for about 30-45 minutes before I rinse out and then apply my moisturizing DC.

My hair has been so strong and the PT even seems to make my DC take better, if that makes sense. When my hair was loose last month, I noticed some breakage from the more frequent manipulating, until I incorporated this change.

Now this may mean my hair can stand a stronger PT like the Aphogee 2-step, but I'm way too chicken to go there lol. This works for me :grin:

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Just wanted to give a little reggie update.....

As some of you know, I've been experimenting with protein in my regimen. What I've settled into that's worked out beatifully is weekly Aphogee 2 minute treatments, which I baggie with for about 30-45 minutes before I rinse out and then apply my moisturizing DC.

My hair has been so strong and the PT even seems to make my DC take better, if that makes sense. When my hair was loose last month, I noticed some breakage from the more frequent manipulating, until I incorporated this change.

Now this may mean my hair can stand a stronger PT like the Aphogee 2-step, but I'm way too chicken to go there lol. This works for me :grin:

Do u do this before or after you wash your hair.

Back