BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

Mmmm...this protein DC feels nice. I was having a hair crisis today, and this is just what I need to send me to restful sleep and back to hair-happy!

ETA...

Oh, and I'm back to my first hair loves -- scalp massages and topical growth aids...time to stop being hair lazy!

Last edited:
Progress pics:

Starting point (First pic)

Attachments

• image-4156825985.jpg
    image-4156825985.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1066242752.jpg
    image-1066242752.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 84
What is your goal date for BSL? June 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? Use to have long hair when my mother use to take care of it, but when I started doing my own hair and not knowing how to take care of it I had ALOT of heat damage. I have been watching alot of hair tutorials on yt and wanted to do my own hj!

Whats your current length? APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? Wash on Sundays(DC, s&c(protein/moisture balance), oil rinse, leave-in, air dry, m&s, and finally GHE
Tuesdays, and Thursdays are my co-wash days and one of those days I will dc also
Vitamins-hair, nails, and skin garlic and omega-3

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? I honestly don't know but I will strive for WL. I may whip my hair like Willow Smith!!!
IMG_1859.jpg

Last edited:
TruMe, those are graduation pics right? I'm wondering why you're here and not in the MBL challenge cuz even ur starting pic looks like BSL to me.

Khaiya - Really? I'm thinking I may have another couple of inches before I am really there. I don't know. My hair hasn't been this long since......never! I don't know what to do with myself, lol.

Hi ladies hope every one is doing fine. Looking forward to our check in at the end of the month. Nothing to report over here except that my hair is getting softer and more manageable and I can't keep my hands off it.

Just wanted to post about some mini goals I just made! My bang area is finally below chin length and I can get my hair into a low I un-stretched curly pony! And it doesn't look like a struggle pony, but a nice one. Lol. I don't know about everybody else, but I like to acknowledge my mini goals it makes me remember I'm actually making some progress.

Also is there anybody else who's Reggie is mostly low mani and not so much PSing? Im looking for others reggies who are mostly low mani and see what's working for them.

OH, I thought the check-in was the end of last month. My bad on the progress pics. Will do another set come the end of this month. :blush:
I thought so to until I went back to the first post and saw that it was April 30. I'm in the HYH challenge also so I can't really show my hair that's why I checked. But gurl you know we love hair pics so keep em coming :grin:

I got my hair straighten and curled on Friday and my hair blew up by the end of the night because of the rain:nono:. I didn't get a chance to take pics. I guess I will straighten or blow dry again myself at the end of this month and then immediately take pics. But from what I saw I think I'm finally APL :yay:.

Update: After doing my curlformer set this weekend, I'd decided to do a quick length check with my measuring tape. Most of my hair is now 11 inches except for my crown area is about 12 inches. I measured that I need 13 inches at the nape to achieve BSB which should be in about July if I retain my length including this month :yep:. With some minor set backs, I have manage to still make it to full APL :yay:. I can't wait to see all of our progress at the end of the month! Happy hair growing ladies :grin:!

I got my hair straighten and curled on Friday and my hair blew up by the end of the night because of the rain:nono:. I didn't get a chance to take pics. I guess I will straighten or blow dry again myself at the end of this month and then immediately take pics. But from what I saw I think I'm finally APL :yay:.

^^^ I hate when that happens!!

:perplexed Bad news bears.
I was in the castor oil challenge so I did a length check on saturday...
My Discovery
I am armpit length now
But i have suffered breakage in the back of my hair. Its so thin you can see through it. I was curious to when this started because I know it couldnt of been because of my 3/4ths wigs so I went to my hair journey pictures (I did just start it at the end of december) and I noticed the "space" after...2 weeks into my hair journey. I'm guessing the culprit was me bunning...maybe. Before I started this HHJ I took a picture of my hair and it was beautiful...:/

I'm a little depressed...My hair has never been this thin before. I've always had a healthy full head of hair. I'm starting to regret changing my regular hair routine seeing that I never had a problem before...but its just hair right??
I am in the Hide your Hair challenge so I'll show the "before HHJ" picture and on april 30th you guys can see the...*swallows* after

Attachments

• IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 84
:perplexed Bad news bears.
I was in the castor oil challenge so I did a length check on saturday...
My Discovery
I am armpit length now
But i have suffered breakage in the back of my hair. Its so thin you can see through it. I was curious to when this started because I know it couldnt of been because of my 3/4ths wigs so I went to my hair journey pictures (I did just start it at the end of december) and I noticed the "space" after...2 weeks into my hair journey. I'm guessing the culprit was me bunning...maybe. Before I started this HHJ I took a picture of my hair and it was beautiful...:/

I'm a little depressed...My hair has never been this thin before. I've always had a healthy full head of hair. I'm starting to regret changing my regular hair routine seeing that I never had a problem before...but its just hair right??
I am in the Hide your Hair challenge so I'll show the "before HHJ" picture and on april 30th you guys can see the...*swallows* after

Sorry to hear that!!! from your picture, the hair still kooks thick! so you reckon it is the bunning? where you changing the bun position?

big hugs!

Sorry to hear that!!! from your picture, the hair still kooks thick! so you reckon it is the bunning? where you changing the bun position?

big hugs!

Thanks for the hugs lol, I def need them.

But no, that picture was taken a week before I dusted my ends, which was the start of my hhj. So thats what my hair used to look like. But honestly I cant tell you what the real culprit was.

When I first started all I was doing was cowashing, diluted my shampoo, and wearing braid out buns and m&s. And no I did not move my bun placement. But I wanna say I was doing this for a good 2 weeks before I decided to go back to weaves.

It just amazes me that my hair took a dramatic turn within those two weeks. I was under the impression i was doing something right, but I guess this is what happens sometimes...setbacks especially to newbies...

whats going on? i see like length pics. its end of April right?
anyway, how are you all?

this is the style i wore this weekend.
its already gone,cause I moisturized my hair with creme (as i had flat ironned) and it just started reverting back, so now im in a braided bun.

^^^Awwww! I see a little hand on your arm. Too cute!

nazjha
((HUG))
Sorry to hear that. I've never tried bunning but I know from years of ponytail damage that it may not be the growth technique for me. At least you stopped it from causing more damage.

Also, I wonder if what you're seeing isn't "lead hairs". The belief is that sometimes lone strands will reach a length first and the rest of the hair will catch up. Compared to the pic you've posted, APL would mean growth! If those are lead hairs, that means the buns are working for ya ;)

If you're still wanting to change, maybe you can start with your old regi and just tweak it to include your new healthy hair knowledge instead of doing a total overhaul. GL on figuring it all out!

Took out my braids. Washed with the Elasta moisturizing shampoo and ApHogee 2 minute reconstructor.

Then slapped some Giovanni Direct Leave In. For the first time all year I bought a hair product. I'm proud (although I actually might return it because I don't need it :-( )

I will need a new shampoo though and potentially a new conditioner. I'm just REALLY trying to use up everything, and I mean everything, I have before I spent more money. I realized I had 5 conditioners and realized how ridiculous I was lol.

gonna condition rinse tonight (which i'll do once a week unless there's a need for more for some reason)...my moisture retention has been great lately. love it. hopefully this will help me recover from my chop.

MzSwift said:

nazjha
((HUG))
Sorry to hear that. I've never tried bunning but I know from years of ponytail damage that it may not be the growth technique for me. At least you stopped it from causing more damage.

Also, I wonder if what you're seeing isn't "lead hairs". The belief is that sometimes lone strands will reach a length first and the rest of the hair will catch up. Compared to the pic you've posted, APL would mean growth! If those are lead hairs, that means the buns are working for ya ;)

If you're still wanting to change, maybe you can start with your old regi and just tweak it to include your new healthy hair knowledge instead of doing a total overhaul. GL on figuring it all out!

yeah my second son(9 months this week). those cute tiny baby hands . :)

@nazjha
((HUG))

I'm definitely a believe in the "lead hairs". This happens to me all the time. Way back when, I used to think it was breakage or thinning but then the rest of my hair would catch-up and it looked fuller. I right now, my leading hair is at or very close to MBL so I'm hoping the rest of my hair will catch-up over the next 3 to 6 months. Nice post!:grin:

Just wanted to post about some mini goals I just made! My bang area is finally below chin length and I can get my hair into a low I un-stretched curly pony! And it doesn't look like a struggle pony, but a nice one. Lol. I don't know about everybody else, but I like to acknowledge my mini goals it makes me remember I'm actually making some progress.

Also is there anybody else who's Reggie is mostly low mani and not so much PSing? Im looking for others reggies who are mostly low mani and see what's working for them.

KurlyNinja Congrats on your mini goals!

The bolded could apply to me. I've been wearing my hair twisted out. And then its in a bun, ponytail or occasionally all down. I don't comb or brush my hair at all except on wash day, I use my fingers only. I may gently use a brush to smooth some edges on occasion.

I only started doing this a few months ago so I don't really have a reggie down yet. Prior to that I was wearing my hair plaited under half wigs for about a year. I just got really tired of the wigs. I tried twists but with my hair being so thin and frizz prone, I didn't like them and they never lasted (plus they took forever to do).

I think the key to this is going to be getting down a solid moisturizing and conditioning regimen. Meaning how often, how its applied, what products, etc. And also with the twist out, I think getting a twist out process down that has a lasting hold and moisture. Bc I've done twist outs before that end up just being too loose and turns into almost like a wash and go, which leads to dryness and tangles for me.

How are you wearing your hair?

Ladies, don't forget check in time in April 30! it will be four solid months into the year. Good timing to show us some pics, see where you are, reassess your regimen if necessary.

tomorrow is wash/dc day. so i will wear a twistout to work tomorrow and when i get home i'll wash...gonna try the shea moisture coconut & hibiscus shampoo. i'll dc overnight and then moisturize, seal & braid on saturday

the retwisting/rebraiding once a week thing works for me. i had been consistently doing the whole restyling every 3 weeks or so and it was a nightmare for me. i'm not sure why i kept doing it so long. i still get my protective style on while not having to deal with the ultra tangling and mega shedding that comes with leaving my hair in the same style for several weeks at a time with the once a week restyling.

tomorrow is wash/dc day. so i will wear a twistout to work tomorrow and when i get home i'll wash...gonna try the shea moisture coconut & hibiscus shampoo. i'll dc overnight and then moisturize, seal & braid on saturday

the retwisting/rebraiding once a week thing works for me. i had been consistently doing the whole restyling every 3 weeks or so and it was a nightmare for me. i'm not sure why i kept doing it so long. i still get my protective style on while not having to deal with the ultra tangling and mega shedding that comes with leaving my hair in the same style for several weeks at a time with the once a week restyling.

youwillrise - please let me know how you like the shampoo. I have been eyeing it but not convinced enough to buy it. tia

I hope it works out for you though.

so i tried the shea moisture coconut & hibiscus shampoo and honestly to me, it's nothing to write home about. eh. didnt really hydrate my hair like it says. my hair wasnt completely dry or straw from it, but it was a little rough feeling. so, all in all...i'll use this up and then wont re-buy.

Back