BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

djkforeal

Hi Ladies,
please forgive me for not keeping up with checking in and giving updates, I have been going through a lot lately and have been very busy on top of that. I guess I missed the post where we are supposed to give an updated length check picture :perplexed, so I have not done that part either.
I have been getting really lazy with my hair regimine, I am only shampooing every 2-3 weeks and with that I am experiencing a lot of matting and tangling. My hair is growing but my detangling sessions are horrible. I need to get back to deep conditioning and finding a spray moisturizer for my hair when it is flat twisted or plaited under my lace wigs (any suggestions would be appreciated). I will post pics the next time I flat iron, which may be around Easter or sometime before it gets too hot here in California.
Congratulations to all the ladies who have hit their goals and to those who are still working at it.

RENIBELL

RENIBELL, congratulations! I think we may be hair twins or at least cousins! I can't wait until I hit full BSL, I have decided to stick to claiming full APL because it still looks short to me!

cocoma
Thanks Lady,mine always looks short to me too.youre right we are hairtwins. :grin:.
are your strands fine too?

Imani

Hi Ladies,
please forgive me for not keeping up with checking in and giving updates, I have been going through a lot lately and have been very busy on top of that. I guess I missed the post where we are supposed to give an updated length check picture :perplexed, so I have not done that part either.
I have been getting really lazy with my hair regimine, I am only shampooing every 2-3 weeks and with that I am experiencing a lot of matting and tangling. My hair is growing but my detangling sessions are horrible. I need to get back to deep conditioning and finding a spray moisturizer for my hair when it is flat twisted or plaited under my lace wigs (any suggestions would be appreciated). I will post pics the next time I flat iron, which may be around Easter or sometime before it gets too hot here in California.
Congratulations to all the ladies who have hit their goals and to those who are still working at it.

djkforeal You haven't missed the length check. The first official length check is scheduled for April 30:yep:

youwillrise

gonna rinse my hair tonight. my hair felt really good today! i'm really happy with this shea moisture coconut & hibiscus cream. ive had so much trouble with finding moisturizers that my hair agreed with over the years.

my hair actually felt moisturized ALL day rather than for a few minutes in the morning and then dry as fart the rest of the day. i kept touching it.

ive been using it with apricot and castor oil...and baggying over night for the past few days.

i hope it's not just some weird trick and my hair starts hating it. haha

GreenEyedJen

Hey ladies,
I'm in the middle of getting a trim. My BF is doing it. I'm a little blown...the first cut he took about an inch off, so now we have to take more off everywhere than I would like. Oh well. I might take pictures afterwards, or I might wait until tomorrow.

I love my BF, but he's white, and I hate to say it, but I feel like a Black guy would have taken more care with the amount he was trimming off. I'm the first Black girl he's ever dated, and he knows I'm super into my hair but I just don't think he "gets" it yet, you know?

Oh well. Rant over. See you guys update day!

winona

GreenEyedJen said:
Hey ladies,
I'm in the middle of getting a trim. My BF is doing it. I'm a little blown...the first cut he took about an inch off, so now we have to take more off everywhere than I would like. Oh well. I might take pictures afterwards, or I might wait until tomorrow.

I love my BF, but he's white, and I hate to say it, but I feel like a Black guy would have taken more care with the amount he was trimming off. I'm the first Black girl he's ever dated, and he knows I'm super into my hair but I just don't think he "gets" it yet, you know?

Oh well. Rant over. See you guys update day!

I know a little late but I got a crea clip for my trims. This way I can actually see how much hubby is trimming and all he has to do is cut the hair on bottom of the clip.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

bride91501

Is it too late to join?? I hope not :) I don't have the best starting pic (I'm blaming my hubby lol), but they'll get better, I promise!

What is your goal date for BSL?
Hopefully by my 2 year nappiversary date- May 31/June 1, 2012 :grin:

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?
The only BSL hair I've ever had in my life was a weave....my current length is the longest my hair has ever been. To me, BSL+ is fairytale hair.... :yep:

Whats your current length?
APL/BSB Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?
I've been on the Lady P Deep Moisture regimen for over 18 months and it's worked great, so I'm sticking with it. I cornrow my hair up for 4 weeks at a time under wigs or turbans. I do a mild PT & DC weekly, M&S daily, and co-wash 2-3x per week. I also apply MT to my scalp on my co-wash days. When I take my cornrows out, I pre-poo (Chicorro's method), clarify, henna, DC and wear my hair out for a week or so before cornrowing it back up again.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
I plan to do a blow out for a light trim/dusting and proper length check at my 2 year nappiversary, and hopefully I'll be BSL by then. I don't plan to celebrate too long though, cuz I'm focused on grazing MBL by year's end :grin:

Ok, here's the pic. Again, it's not the best, but hopefully it'll do for now lol. It was taken at the end of February 2012:

Adonia1987

I haven't checked in in a while.

As my hair grows, it becomes more time consuming. Now I understand why women with long hair have simple regimen. I was overwhelmed during my last wash day so I made a U part wig and sewed it in. This was last week. I will try to keep it for one or two more weeks.
My regimen is very simple: I either DC or do a Henna treatment weekly. I use only conditioner and stopped using combs also.I will try to keep my hair braided/ cornrowed to get to MBL by the end of the year. It's a long shot but I should be able to do it!

13StepsAhead

Hey ladies I'm having a major setback, so I' not sure if I will claim BSL thi syear with the state that my hair is in.

naturalagain2

I'm getting my hair straighten and dusted today. I will be sure to take pictures just in case I don't do another length check at the end of next month...but I probably will :lol:. I hope I'm APL :pray:

Last edited:

GreenEyedJen

Thanks Winona. I have a Creaclip but unfortunately I showed BF the amount of hair I wanted off with my fingers and didn't look in the mirror. It's okay, my ends feel really good now and I'm still confident that I'll reach my goal by the end of the year.

ImanAdero

I feel like I may bow out of this challenge. I'm actually well on my way to being BSL, but upon Looking closer at my hair, I'm not happy with it. Its definitely a few (staggeringly) different lengths and I think I want to even it up. Plus I saw this woman:
http://www.kisforkinky.com/2011/11/carley-cushnie-natural-hair

And I love her natural pixie cut!

We'll see though. I give myself another month or 2 to see how I like/don't like my hair.

RegaLady

I feel like I may bow out of this challenge. I'm actually well on my way to being BSL, but upon Looking closer at my hair, I'm not happy with it. Its definitely a few (staggeringly) different lengths and I think I want to even it up. Plus I saw this woman:
http://www.kisforkinky.com/2011/11/carley-cushnie-natural-hair

And I love her natural pixie cut!

We'll see though. I give myself another month or 2 to see how I like/don't like my hair.

I was there a month ago. I was ready to lop it off into a flyy natural cut. But I didn't give in. :nono:

Her hair is very cute!!!

youwillrise

so i flat ironed my hair.

i have to say this is the best ive done so far, buuuut i still kinda hate it. i just cant get it the way i want. i'm so horrible with styling techniques.

the plus is:

my hair isnt dry/rough like it usually is when i attempt flat ironing...it actually feels soft & moisturized

the minus is:

i cant ever get my damn roots.
i need a trim

i WILL someday do an acceptable flat iron. SOMEDAY.

Uniqzoe

My latest length check on blown out hair. Not sure if I'm there yet but I'm at least knocking on BSBs door.

Attachments

• DSCF8371.jpg
    DSCF8371.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF8372.jpg
    DSCF8372.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 54

MzSwift

Hey ladies I'm having a major setback, so I' not sure if I will claim BSL thi syear with the state that my hair is in.

13StepsAhead

((HUG))
Don't count yourself out yet, it's still the beginning of the year!
Start babying your hair and getting hardcore with the techniques that you know will work for you. Right before you go to bed, close your eyes and see yourself pulling your hair down to BSL and beyond. You'll be surprised at your EOTY results.

I honestly believe that once I started incorporating regular visualization, my hair growth took off. There's something to be said about the power of the mind.

GL and HHG! :D

MzSwift

I'm excited about the EOTM length checks, whohoo!!

I think I'm gonna up my water. After the check, I'm gonna stop taking vitamins altogether *gasp* My weight and skin have been a mess since I started taking vitamins regularly. I took a break in August and September 2011 and I experienced the biggest growth spurt I have had since my starting HHJ in 2009.

I take MSM, but then I've got to add vitamin C to increase absorption and to help decrease breakouts. I also started Chlorella about a month ago. I would like to give it time to work but I'm just really sick of taking vitamins! I used to take a multivitamin or a prenatal as a multi but once I stopped that, I began to lose stubborn weight.

I may resort to only taking them in the fall/winter b/c more fresh fruits and veggies are available in the spring/summer. Hmm...

13StepsAhead

MzSwift thanks for the encouragement I really need it. I'm still in the challenge hopefully I can get my hair back on track and reach a healthy BSL by December.

Last edited:

youwillrise

soooooo...

because of my negligence i ended up having to cut my hair. i tend not to keep up with dustings/small trimmings, so the result is that i had to chop more than i would have wanted.

from now on i will make sure to keep these ends in tact by doing regular dustings! ((smh))

so, it looks like BSL will be a bit further than i hoped...but the important thing is...i still have HOPE.

i dont feel completely bad, though. lately my hair has been moisturized than it's ever been. it feels really good and healthy and now my ends actually look decent...so i guess the loss of length is not such a bad thing...who wants length with horrible ends?

Philippians413

I took an ending photo for the Castor Oil Challenge and thought I'd post it here as well. before on the left, after on the right.

bride91501

Uniqzoe - I LOVE looking at your hair. It's always so healthy, thick and gorgeous.

But if you don't pull that bra up and claim BSL, or at least grazing BSL, I'm coming over there with a pair of scissors :yep: :look:

hair4romheaven

I did small twist in my hair just so I can dust which turned into a trim. I think I took off .5" Im getting braided back up for 2.5 - 3mnths next weekend. I will take pics for a 3mnth comparison.
Hhg ladies

g.lo

I did a unplanned length check today, and my hair is BSb, now I also discovered that i have lots of splits and mid shaft splits as well!
I just felt the urge of grabbing the clipper and shave my head!aaaaaaaaargh!
Since january, my ends has been giving me trouble, and i have trimmed 3 times already!!! ssks and now this. the only difference in my reggie is about 3 weeks ago, i started using the Mason pearson detangler nylon brush, which are high quality!!!!
I have trimmed again today and tuesday will probably hide my hair in box braid till end of april! snif

MzSwift

Aww shortdub78 . Hope you heal quickly! :)
And girl, I bought a detachable shower head in 2004 and haven't looked back! I had hubby replace the showerheads in our new how with detachable ones. They're so affordable! Surely, you can get someone to take care of that for you ;)

Philippians413
Good growth, girl!
You're gonna be leaving us VERY soon.