Bsl/mbl 2018 Challenge!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@Prettymetty, I'm thinking about trying a Kerastase masque since I need to DC with silicones when I will be heat straightening, and since these seem to be very high quality masques.

Boy, these masques are priceeeeeey! I'm looking into this one: https://www.kerastase-usa.com/masqu...r_THERA003_size=200ML#start=7&cgid=resistance

Do you have any thoughts about this one? Is there anywhere I might be able to get it for less? Which Kerastase masque do you think would be best prep before heat straightening?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Prettymetty, I'm thinking about trying a Kerastase masque since I need to DC with silicones when I will be heat straightening, and since these seem to be very high quality masques.

Boy, these masques are priceeeeeey! I'm looking into this one: https://www.kerastase-usa.com/masqu...r_THERA003_size=200ML#start=7&cgid=resistance

Do you have any thoughts about this one? Is there anywhere I might be able to get it for less? Which Kerastase masque do you think would be best prep before heat straightening?

Yes they are pricy, but they last a long time. A little goes a long way. I recommend the Therapiste or Maskeratine for heat straightening. Maskeratine is from the Discipline line. It's for unruly, frizzy hair. You may be able to get the new Extenioniste travel size for $10. > bought one yesterday. I don't know if it was a mistake or what, so I hit send. Lol

Caramel74

Ladies,
Would y'all recommend a deep conditioner not too pricey that you had good success with please? Thank you. Planning a girl time hat party, lol

faithVA

I have this one. I really like it. It is very thick and you don't need to use very much. I can't help you with finding it cheaper. Maybe you can catch a sale.

LushLox

Is Kerastase hard to find in the US (bar their website)? I know it is a lot more expensive over there.

You could buy it from the UK, Look Fantastic offer free worldwide delivery https://www.lookfantastic.com/kerastase-resistance-therapiste-masque-200ml/11134709.html at around $26 for the mask; but who knows how long that will take!

Personally when I straighten my hair I prefer to use a moisture rich mask because I want to inject as much hydration into my hair as possible because the heat depletes so much moisture, therefore I prefer to try and counteract that as much as possible.

I do sometimes use a protein mask as a part of my preparation process but I have better success with moisture masks.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Is Kerastase hard to find in the US (bar their website)? I know it is a lot more expensive over there.

You could buy it from the UK, Look Fantastic offer free worldwide delivery https://www.lookfantastic.com/kerastase-resistance-therapiste-masque-200ml/11134709.html at around $26 for the mask; but who knows how long that will take!

Personally when I straighten my hair I prefer to use a moisture rich mask because I want to inject as much hydration into my hair as possible because the heat depletes so much moisture, therefore I prefer to try and counteract that as much as possible.

I do sometimes use a protein mask as a part of my preparation process but I have better success with moisture masks.
I can find it in salons and high end grocery stores. But, in the US it costs way more. My masks are $60-$70 here

Last edited:

CoilyArielBrowe

As part of a decision to pay more attention to my ends, I've been testing how long I can stretch a set to two-stand twists. This week I made it about ten days before I washed. I washed my hair yesterday and tried a new deep conditioner. Inahsi Mango and Hemp Restorative Mask. I'm still on the fence about it and will come back to it later. While I was styling my hair I saw more broken hair then I would like so next week I'lll use Aphogee Step 1.

GGsKin

I saw an unpleasant amount of breakage during my de-gunking fiasco on Sunday morning so I wanted to add in another DC.

Earlier today, I tried CRN Algae Renew on dry hair. Super oily- probably that Shea butter goodness. Ended up leaving this on for a few hours, uncovered. I rinsed thoroughly and my hair felt soft as the last remaining sheds slipped out. I spritzed with diluted TMC Kids Detangler and coated my ends in my Shea butter mix, before topping with diluted KCCC.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Thanks!

Hmm. The $26 link didn't work for me. Thanks for posting it, though!

Regarding the bolded, yes -- I get that.

If I go forward with the plan to trial being a straight-haired natural, I want to prevent heat damage and loss of protein: When my stylist at the salon gave me a silk press, she used a lot of protein-containing products before applying heat because, according to her, blow drying and flat ironing and so forth remove protein from the hair. I never knew that! I have fine hair and need to retain all the structure/protein of my hair that I can. As someone with fine hair, if I'm going to trial regular heat straightening, I can see needing to attend carefully to the structure/protein of/in my hair.

So I think I'm going to use that Kerastase mask and then a moisture-infusing mask before straightening.

These words about the mask's ingredients -- on the website -- have me intrigued!:
  • SP94, powerful, gluco-peptide that enhances hair fiber’s resilience, structure & strength to activate KAPs synthesis.
  • 6 Amino Acids, each attaches itself to damaged areas of the hair to compensate for the loss of mass.
  • 1 Wheat Protein Derivative, strong affinity with the hair fiber, restores uniformity and smoothness.
  • Ressurection Sap: Sourced from the Myrothamnus Flabellifolia plant - known for its ability to come back to life after 10 years near death - helps preserve the structure of the fiber.

pikkonoloidlee

My hair seems to be doing well overall but I think my ends have been a bit drier than I'd like so I'm working on my routine to sort that out. I think this has also been the cause of my ends tangling and ssks.

I also have a new wig coming in so I'm looking forward to wearing it as a protective style.

Attachments

• IMG_20180608_101047477-03.jpeg
    IMG_20180608_101047477-03.jpeg
    505.8 KB · Views: 73

CoilyArielBrowe

My hair seems to be doing well overall but I think my ends have been a bit drier than I'd like so I'm working on my routine to sort that out. I think this has also been the cause of my ends tangling and ssks.

I also have a new wig coming in so I'm looking forward to wearing it as a protective style.

You're hair color is so pretty. I've always wanted purple hair.

CoilyArielBrowe

I wore my hair in a twist out for the past couple days and have decided to wash today. Last week I saw more breakage then I wanted so I did Aphogee Step 1 followed by SSI Pomegranate Pear Restorative Mask. I realized that it's been 7 weeks since I've done a hard protein treatment. So I think I need to commit to doing them every 6 weeks. I had been doing them every 4 weeks because of the heat damage but felt like my hair needed it less. I've settled on every 6 weeks until the end of the year. I may reintroduce Henna next week. I have some I want to finish.:scratchchin:

GGsKin

The other day, I got the crazy idea to straighten my hair. I haven't done so in 4 years.

Yesterday in preparation, I shampooed twice; 1st Redken Cleansing Creme, 2nd Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 1, followed by the Masquintense. Now I know my hair doesn't like wheat protein so I made sure to follow with a mix of SM Low Po Boabab etc (my hair seems to really like this) + CRN Algae Renew.

I rinsed, and wrapped my twisted hair in a T until about 60% dry. I smoothed a little C.HI Silk I.nfusion and L'anza serum throughout and blow dried using my Denman for tension. After blow drying, I touched my roots and ends with a little Sabino, before retwisting the section.

I flat ironed 1-3 passes on 200°C, using a brush-chase method. I'll take pics tomorrow, as long as it's not a mess come the morning.

ETA: Pics

Attachments

• 2018-06-13_21.19.05.jpg
    2018-06-13_21.19.05.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 2018-06-13_21.21.25.jpg
    2018-06-13_21.21.25.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

sissimpson

Can I jump in here? I'm coming back from a setback caused by a weave I left in too long. I'm 61, my hair was long and luscious30-35 years ago. Then it started... the overprocessing, compounded by genetics and poor diet, and my hair was a wrec. So, for graduation last year, my daughter talked me into getting a weave. My bad. I lost so much. A year later I'm being kinder and gentler, and trying to get it back on track. For a while, I was doing LOC with my DIY rosewater and aloe vera spray, followed by some olive oil on the strands, followed by a generous helping of CC Natural's hair crème, especially if I was going for a twist out. I have incorporated diy cherry lola treatments as well as overnight mayonnaise treatments (Hellmans no less). It helps to balance the moisture from the LOC.