Crown and Glory 2023!

MzSwift

no hair was added. yes these were the African braids and it was a shame because the braids looked neat even after washing even though my hair got matted.
Aww man, I'm sorry to hear that. My hair shed like crazy whenever someone braided my hair too tightly. If had washed my hair, that shed hair would've totally matted. Not only that, it used to feel so thin once I took it down, probably from the tension stress. I think you're right, a good max moisture method would definitely give your hair some of the TLC it needs. Good thing you know how to get it back on track!

Prettyeyes

I just got long box braids! Using the true C&G method now. S-curl, braid spray, evoo, grease. I also plan to “baggie” with a shower cap around the house.

MzSwift

I've put mini braids in. I'm wearing them under my wig because of the length. When these puppies get shoulder length, they will be my everyday forever style. Will try to post a pic this weekend.
I love mini braids!! They got me to WL twice, once natural and once relaxed.
They're so versatile and reliable. I hope you have great success with them! :)

Tangles

I love mini braids!! They got me to WL twice, once natural and once relaxed.
They're so versatile and reliable. I hope you have great success with them! :)
Thank you. I'm loving them so far! I hope I can keep this set in until my length check April 1st for the SL/APL challenge.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I've put mini braids in. I'm wearing them under my wig because of the length. When these puppies get shoulder length, they will be my everyday forever style. Will try to post a pic this weekend.
I have them in too! I wear my wigs on top cause it's cold where I am now lol. I love the convenience of them. I think I may add a silk press here and there to break up the monotony. Mine are so many different lengths though :perplexed: I wouldn't mind if my hair was longer. Right now it's kind of a pain in the buns.

MzSwift

I have them in too! I wear my wigs on top cause it's cold where I am now lol. I love the convenience of them. I think I may add a silk press here and there to break up the monotony. Mine are so many different lengths though :perplexed: I wouldn't mind if my hair was longer. Right now it's kind of a pain in the buns.

I can't seem to find any of my pictures with my short mini braids but I started doing them when I only had 3 inches of hair. I remember alternating between a half up/ half down styles or just rocking them loose with different headbands that match my outfit of the day. Sometimes for work I would do two ponytails in the back, one high and try to connect it the low one and then put a claw clip over it for decoration.

And these little clips look so much better than bobby pins:

1677077563262.png

ETA: I've also seen some cute short styles with beads or using a banana clip to ponytail instead of a ponytail holder.

1677077785076.png

Last edited:

MzSwift

I'm halfway finished taking down this set of mini braids. I usually just gradually transition them into another style but I was intent on prepping for relaxing my hair next week or so since I'm 20.5 weeks post. BUT, I did a pull test last night and I'm encouraged by the progress. I always get such good retention in braids with my own hair! So I'm thinking I need to stay on this track.

Also, I watched a video last night that gave me inspiration to try bigger braids again. This time, I will cornrow just the front and then do rows of big braids in the back. This would save me so much time during install and take down and also allow me access to my scalp to cleanse and apply my scalp oil. If this is a win, I may be able to stretch my relaxer to my original planned time of April/May.

MzSwift

Finished my mini twist/braids two days ago. I plan to keep these in for a while, refreshing them every 2-3 weeks to keep my roots from "marrying."
I made them small so that they're versatile. Thinking of even using them as braid base for my crochet styles.

1680040861135.png

MzSwift

Now I am about to wash and DC put hair in cornrows and wear a wig for at least 4 weeks while continuing to keep my hair moist

I keep wanting to install extensions but wigs are really the best way for me to access and treat my hair. I just keep skipping the "wig" part after braiding up my hair bc I rarely leave the house. And when I do, I just throw on a bandana. :look:
I want to sow down a wig for a few weeks but then that leads to me not attending to my hair for weeks.

GL with your transition!

Prettyeyes

I keep wanting to install extensions but wigs are really the best way for me to access and treat my hair. I just keep skipping the "wig" part after braiding up my hair bc I rarely leave the house. And when I do, I just throw on a bandana. :look:
I want to sow down a wig for a few weeks but then that leads to me not attending to my hair for weeks.

GL with your transition!
Actually I plan to do the BC this month!

MzSwift

If you're up for it, please post your BC pix @Prettyeyes !! GL! :)

Coming up on 3 weeks this Sunday and my minibraid/twists are at the point where I like them to be (less scalpy looking but not overgrown). So I'm gonna wait another week to see if they're ready for refreshing.

Been GHEing at least 1-2x/wk and bun baggying at least 3x/wk. On the other lazy nights, I just keep my hair tucked under a mens satin skull cap or a satin scarf. Also used a new honey and protein DC last Saturday and I'm excited to see if I love it again this Saturday. It left my hair feeling so moisturized. Keeping access to my hair is allowing me to re-establish a weekly wash-n-DC routine. I get really hair lazy under extensions and crochets and then it's hard to do right when my hair is accessible.

MzSwift

Thinking about educating myself on yarn braids.
I remember back in 2009, there was a lady on another hair board who lived in them and swore by them.
To be able to wash and condition my hair in the extensions is what I'm looking for. I can see that working in the summer.
Probably should've done that before I locced my hair a few years ago. Oh well.

MzSwift

So it looks like wool yarn will loc into the hair - no thank you! And if I'm gonna do acrylic yarn, what's the benefit to that over just using kanekalon? I'll stick w what I know, kanekalon. lol

I put these jumbo twists in my hair a few years ago and I left them in for around 3 weeks. I can't remember what hair I used, how my hair did and if I had any trouble with them. But they are right up my alley right now! Seems like they would be quick and easy to install and take down. I can keep them in a bun and my scalp will be able to breathe in these warmer temps. I think I'll save the wig sew down and the crochet styles for this fall/winter.

1681591996443.png 1681592154318.png

MzSwift

Alright, so I ended up converting the mini twists into cornrows. My hair has been feeling very much like itself again now that I'm integrating a lot more moisture and moisture-boosting practices. Infusium 23 is my homie when I'm converting styles. It's really great for a quick shot of protein without overdoing it.

Planning to water rinse or herbal cleanse at least every other day and I'm still trying to DC every 1-2 weeks.

MzSwift

OK y'all, I'm TWO cornrows into refreshing these cornrows and I had to come in here to make these notes to myself. I finally set up a little "hair vanity" corner in our bedroom so I have the pleasure of seeing my hair as I'm refreshing. Yay!

1- No more going 2 weeks in between refreshes. I've gotta do this weekly! Too much tangling and matting.

2- Whatever I've been doing since March, I need to keep it up!!

I definitely don't feel as bald as I did at the start of the challenge. I'm seeing good progress but I won't know how much until I straighten at the EOTY. But maybe I'll get a sneak preview at my next relaxer sometime in June or July. :biggrin:

MzSwift

I mentioned this to one of my hair sisters recently but I've been noticing more relaxed ladies living in mini braids and I'm happy to see it. Like I told my sis, I swear they have been my secret weapon both relaxed and natural. I've grown my hair to WL both relaxed and natural by living in those 90% of the time. They are really great for retention! And I'm still able to feel like I'm wearing my hair "down" without the risk to my loose fine strands.

Tangles

I mentioned this to one of my hair sisters recently but I've been noticing more relaxed ladies living in mini braids and I'm happy to see it. Like I told my sis, I swear they have been my secret weapon both relaxed and natural. I've grown my hair to WL both relaxed and natural by living in those 90% of the time. They are really great for retention! And I'm still able to feel like I'm wearing my hair "down" without the risk to my loose fine strands.

I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do these:hair: so I can wear them without covering them with wigs, wraps etc.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.

This is what I'm doing now :lol: This is how my ends were looking so good (don't use combs, only to part and the occasional silk press. I think they use the Denman brush though), and also how I've been maintaining two textures of hair for so long.

MzSwift

This is what I'm doing now :lol: This is how my ends were looking so good (don't use combs, only to part and the occasional silk press. I think they use the Denman brush though), and also how I've been maintaining two textures of hair for so long.

Yes! Living in minibraids is how I'm able to relax only 2-3 times a year. My hair stays braided/twisted up. Also, finger detangling 99% of the time.
I usually keep a lot of texture in my hair when I texlax so that the difference between the two textures isn't so stark. That helps a lot w retention.