February 2016: Hits & Misses

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I was always curious about this. How do you use it?
I use it as a leave in.
It's a great detangling spray, leaves my hair soft and smooth (even when I don't layer a creamy leave in over it), and packs a really good moisture punch with a tiny touch of strength (almost negligible for me but mentioning in case you're protein sensitive). Scent is similar to a soft amber-y, powdery, almost men's cologne-ish smell to me and it does linger unless you put something highly scented over it.
Just for FYI, my hair is multi-porosity (60% low, 35% normal, 5% high).

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
On the Fence
SM High Porosity Moisture Seal Finishing Elixir had my hair smooth, shiny but dry. It's not meant for me (low porosity). I think the vinegar is the culprit. I'll use it on soaking wet hair as a final rinse.

Hits
Dominican product line Apretadora Canela y Romero (Cinnamon & Rosemary) prepoo conditioner, shampoo and rinse had my roller set so moisturized, bouncy and smelling like Red Hots cinnamon candy. My set didn't revert in FL humidity. The line is silicone-free but contains mineral oil. It's $3-6 USD at the BSS. It mixes well with my current products.

Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray-gel has a strong hold but plenty of slip for roller sets. It doesn't flake or get sticky when mixed with other products. This gel shortens my drying time.

Latino product Grisi Ricitos de Oro Manzanilla (chamomile) Baby Styling gel has a natural hold and mild chamomile scent. I mix with Garnier gel or conditioner to adjust the hold. No stiffness or flaking.

Aubrey Organics B-5 Design Gel is very moisturizing but has a flexible hold for roller sets. I can comb my hair with this in without damage. Has a light herbal-rose scent. Mixes well with my othe products

Miss
That 8 oz jar of conditioner. I had about a tablespoon left after 1 use. Also must order online at higher prices. I'll order the 32oz size.

Using half the 8oz bottle of Garnier spray-gel to set my hair. I'll probably resume using Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. 1 8oz jar lasts 18 months.

Bronner Bros Foam Wrap Lotion had slip but didn't hold my roller set. Back to Walgreens it goes if it doesn't work for braidouts.

The B-5 Design Gel is scarce. I hope the SM Peace Rose gel is a good replacement.

curlyhersheygirl

@rileypak

I made a "Shake & Go" Cart, but haven't hit PayNah yet. :look:

I want it, but I feel like I need to wait to see what else is up with some of the other vendors.

I'm so torn. :cry3:

I know you & @curlyhersheygirl love this Product. And it is 12oz.

I wish it was 30% with Free Shipping.:drunk:
@IDareT'sHair
I'm so torn myself. I have so many carts made and I know I shouldn't get all but I don't know who to eliminate :oops:

KinkyRN

HIT: Rocking my God given hair daily!! I enjoyed the crochets but missed my naps, kinks and coils!!
Shea Moisture Black Soap Conditioner for rinse out after cowashing with Trader Joes. What is in that TJ? The slip is CRAZY!
Sarenzo Black Soap as a shampoo. Cleansed and moisturized without tangling. (NEW HIT!!)
APB leave in, I thought is would be aight because it is a spray. But it was great at moisturizing, softening and detangling!! The
unpetroleum jelly seals well and the Butta is very smooth and thick. This line is giving my favorite TGIN a run for the money!!

MISS: Losing my mind on Etsy at the APB store. But... I got a good deal with the 30% discount. Can't wait to get my goodies!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Continued Hit
Bobeam condish, I don't need it right now but I might have to break down and order 2 more tonight. After rinsing my deep treatment out, smoothed the condish in and hair laid down. It's great because I don't use anything to detangle my hair unless I'm putting in twists, so for a product to smooth my hair to where I can ponytail/bun it by itself, its awesome.
Hair is shiny and soft.

Attachments

• IMG_20160214_7385.jpg
    IMG_20160214_7385.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 45

NaturallyATLPCH

Hits:
Alikay Naturals Honey and Sage DC
I tested a section of hair with this with heat. Smells great, made my hair really soft, this is a nice little gem.

APB Alfalfa and Broccoli Hair Oil
Like all her other oils, I sealed my leave in with this and my hair is super soft.

On the fence:
Bobeam condish, newer formula
I'm not sure how I feel about this as a DC. My hair felt okay. I'm going to try it other ways but I was not wowed by it

reeko43

Huge instant hit! - Shea Moisture African Watermint and Ginger detox shampoo. Used last night after 4 week crochet braid. Left my hair and scalp so clean without stripping. Love the way my scalp tingled. Scalp still feels cool and fresh today. Best shampoo I've ever used! This will probably feel really great in the summer.

Hit - Shea Moisture African Water Mint and Ginger detox and refresh Scalp Elixer. Sprayed on scalp before taking down cornrows and detangling. Very soothing to my scalp. Made detangling easier.

On the fence - African Watermint and and Ginger leave in detangler. It was ok. I probably will not repurchase.

AgeinATL

Hits:
Alikay Naturals Honey and Sage DC
I tested a section of hair with this with heat. Smells great, made my hair really soft, this is a nice little gem.

APB Alfalfa and Broccoli Hair Oil
Like all her other oils, I sealed my leave in with this and my hair is super soft.

On the fence:
Bobeam condish, newer formula
I'm not sure how I feel about this as a DC. My hair felt okay. I'm going to try it other ways but I was not wowed by it

This. I tried it this past weekend and my hair was not feeling it. It didn't go on smooth and it was a bit grainy, not a smooth consistency (what was your consistency like?). Decent slip. When I rinsed, not a ton of softness or moisture. I will try it again on clarified hair to see if that makes a difference, but so far, it is not a repurchase.

I will give the Alikay DC a try once I use up some other DCs. I have been eyeballing it for years, but never tried it. Now that I can get it (and take it back) from Target, I will give it a try.

NaturallyATLPCH

This. I tried it this past weekend and my hair was not feeling it. It didn't go on smooth and it was a bit grainy, not a smooth consistency (what was your consistency like?). Decent slip. When I rinsed, not a ton of softness or moisture. I will try it again on clarified hair to see if that makes a difference, but so far, it is not a repurchase.

I will give the Alikay DC a try once I use up some other DCs. I have been eyeballing it for years, but never tried it. Now that I can get it (and take it back) from Target, I will give it a try.

The consistency was fairly smooth...not much slip...it was just...meh.

To be honest, now that I'm approaching year 5 in my natural hair journey, a lot of handmade DCs are just meh as DCs but good as prepoos. I don't need anything on dry hair. I need creamy, slippery, moisturizing DCs to impart moisture back in my hair and close those open cuticles.

I'm going to have to invest in some mainstream drugstore synthetic ingredients for moisture DCs. My DCs can have cones because I'm rinsing it out.