February 2016: Hits & Misses

mzhotniz86

mzhotniz86

Miss : joico moisture recovery conditioner. It was ok , but the ingredients horrify me. Im sure there's better out there.
As i am coconut co wash, it felt like a light shampoo to me. You would definitely have to follow up with another conditioner for moisture after this...and to me that defeats the purpose. Hair wasn't stripped, but it wasn't softer either.

Hit: my satin durag ( not the nylon one,..the really shiny satin one) up under my wig to keep my hair in tact from drying out lol.
La tourangelle avocado oil for sealing,keeps my relaxed hair soft & shiny (target, whole foods)
Oyin hair dew best moisturizer for me ever
Giovanni tea tree shampoo & conditioner- so moisturizing, but the con isn't the best dc better as a rinse out

cutiepiebabygirl

How did you like the rose oil silken con? I started to buy it today but I took a picture to research it instead lol. I have relaxed hair but I wanted to try it

It was pretty good, it smells like roses, not overpowering, but not faint either. My hair was soft after using with heat.

I've only used it once, but will re-use this wash day. I had so many to try...I'm finally cycling back through.

I say give it a try, I try stuff all the time and keep my receipt and take it back if I don't like it. Target takes back open/used items with no hassles.

Aggie

When I'm done using up the bottle of jbco, I'll be moving on to the bottle on Njoy hair oil I still have left as a prepoo. I'm really not too impressed with it and I just want it gone:look:. I will not be repurchasing that. I'll stick with my own concoctions. I like them better, especially the ones I add MN and my own preference of essential oils to.

mzhotniz86

It was pretty good, it smells like roses, not overpowering, but not faint either. My hair was soft after using with heat.

I've only used it once, but will re-use this wash day. I had so many to try...I'm finally cycling back through.

I say give it a try, I try stuff all the time and keep my receipt and take it back if I don't like it. Target takes back open/used items with no hassles.
Cool thanks!

JerriBlank

Hits:
Kinky lacefront wig - great protective style. I'm excited.

Swig cap- this thing is nice! It's also spacious enough and comfy enough to be used as a night cap if necessary. I haven't used one is years though. Anyway, it's comfy and fits great under my wig. 100% silk, and I can tell. No tension on my edges.

Oyin hair dew mixed with Alterna rx protein leave in- omg, my hair feels so wonderful! Moisture and protein balance on point!

NaturallyATLPCH

On the fence, meh: SheScentIt Okra

This used to be my boo thang! But after Sunday's application I'm not too sure. It went on watery, not really strand coating. It was like disappearing in my hair. It felt okay rinsing off and I did follow up with a moisturizing conditioner but I will be putting the rest on the board. Aphogee seems to do the best and make my hair feel amazing; this did not this time around.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Mega Hit

Soultanicals Knot Head Deep Conditioning Spread as a prepoo/detangler. The first time I used this, I used it as a DC and it was just okay so I put it back in the stash. I am trying to use up all these almost full products I have so I dug it out and started to detangle and get the shed hair out. The slip is out of this world and my hair was softened on contact. I'm almost ashamed of how long this has been in my stash AND its still fresh, lol.

Sorta miss

Not knowing if i repurchase above item, will it still work the same.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
OG HITS
Bobeam detox shampoo bars
Darcy's Botanicals pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Black seed oil
JBCO/HBCO
Mahabringraj oil
Shea butter
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Hair Oil
Wiseways Herbals oils, vinegar tonics & pomade

NEW HIT
SM Manuka Honey serum is lightweight; fast absorbing and is incredibly slippery. It is silicone-free and smells like honey+ Fig Newtons. It redeems lackluster products when mixed.

MISS
Dominican product Chocolaccio ampule/serum no slip despite containing silicone. I used it on clean wet hair. I had to mix it with the SM Manuka Honey serum. Misleading name; it doesn't smell like or contain chocolate.

NaturallyATLPCH

Huge, mega, what the heck took me so long to use this hit:

Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Reconstructing Butter

O.M.GEEEEEE This stuff right chia???
Instant HG status!!! And I didn't use any heat, just a plastic cap for about 20-25 minutes. My hair was so soft, detangled...and I hadn't detangled prior to using it. It was like my tangles melted away.
I am going to hoard more jars. This stuff is definitely a miracle in a jar! AND it was cheap.

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
Miss: Giovani Direct Leave in. I finally had to trash it yesterday.:cry4:

This was a mega staple for me when I was first starting my hair care journey years ago but my hair flat out HATES this stuff now. I really tried to work with it because I had been using it for so long, but it just makes my hair feel like straw and makes it almost unmanageable for some reason.

NaturallyATLPCH

Mega Hit

Soultanicals Knot Head Deep Conditioning Spread as a prepoo/detangler. The first time I used this, I used it as a DC and it was just okay so I put it back in the stash. I am trying to use up all these almost full products I have so I dug it out and started to detangle and get the shed hair out. The slip is out of this world and my hair was softened on contact. I'm almost ashamed of how long this has been in my stash AND its still fresh, lol.

Sorta miss

Not knowing if i repurchase above item, will it still work the same.

You definitely have a point here. I wish she would fix her consistency issues like she did her shipping.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I had been trying to figure out how to incorporate my silk amino acids and wheat protein into my regimen. I'm using them as "leave ins" on dry hair as part of the LOC method. The wheat protein makes my hair a little hard and straw like so I think I will stick to adding that to conditioners. The silk amino acids directly on my hair is a HUGE HIT. I've been working on bringing the silkiness and shine back to my hair. The silkiness is back thanks to the silk amino acids.

shasha8685

Hit:

Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner-- I love how thick this DC is and it just left my hair so so soft! I believe that this may be a keeper for me!

Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo-- makes my hair feel so moisturized . I like this shampoo the best out of all of the Shea Moisture shampoos that I have tried ( and a good portion of them have been meh for me).

Washing hair in sections--I have way too much hair not to do this

Continued Hits:

Oyin Hair Dew
Oyin Whipped Pudding
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade

I knew that when I was transitioning my hair loved these products but now that I'm natural, I know for sure! My hair is so moisturized when I use them.

May be a hit but I'm not sure yet:

Kinky Curly Knot Today- this was a decent leave in when I was relaxed. It did its job but I wasn't wowed enough to purchase it on the regular. My natural hair seems to like it but it doesn't seem to play well with other products. More to come on that.

Miss:
Inahsi Naturals Curl Defining custard
Oh I wanted to love this. I tried it with the hair whip underneath. No go. Dry frizzy hair. I tried over the leave-in. No go. Hard, dry frizzy hair. She suggests using it over a light oil, but oil doesn't work on wet hair for me. Soooo, glad I only got a 2 oz sample. Putting it on the back shelf for now. I had the same problem with Cush Cosmetics styling custard. That too, was a no go. So far, the only gel that somewhat works for me is the Botanical Spirits gel. Guess I'll stick with what I know.

Just want to let everyone know that our Founder, Rhonda Marshall is hosting a Live Webinar, tomorrow, Sunday 2/28...see below for details and a link to register:

You don't know if you can keep up dealing with natural hair product fails. You've been searching and spending money on products for what seems like forever!

You've tried and you can't catch a break because no matter what you do nothing works for your hair. You end up throwing away products AND money every time!

If you've dreamed of having good hair days everyday, then this FREE webinar is for you!

During the live session, you'll discover:

---> 7 reasons why your natural hair products don't work
---> How to pick the right products made specifically for your natural hair
---> 3 things you need to know about your natural hair to get results from your products

Get on track with the right products and start enjoying your natural hair! Click here now to register: https://inahsi.leadpages.co/webinar/

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Possible Hit
The Mane Choice Crystal Orchid Gel: this joint right here, it just might be Bae status. So my story - I'm multi porosity, medium/coarse strands, if I had to type my transitioning hair maybe 4a/4b (not very sure *Kanye shrug*). I'm heavy handed with practically all the products I apply to my hair. I usually lay my edges with soft hold products (Obia Curl Enhancing Custard or Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade to give you an idea). Gel usually doesn't come up on my radar unless I tire of my edges going completely fuzzy by the end of the week (very seldom, I'm all about letting my hair do its thing). But this gel right here changed my mind :2inlove:
I used it last week to slick my edges down and no joke besides a tiny bit of fuzziness over my ears that I always end up with no matter what, my edges were laid all week. ALL WEEK. No flaking, no white residue, no stickiness, initially a little crunchy but that's my heavy hand and it still softened up after a day or so, wasn't drying to my hair. It has an artificial chemical/fragrance smell to me (it's not bad though) but I don't smell it once it's brushed in and my edges are tied down. It was just wonderful.
I used it again this week and it's looking like it will behave the same way. If I get a few more wash days of behavior like this, I might just have to move it to up to Bae status.

Last edited: