1. https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/no-maintenance-scheduled.848583/
    Dismiss Notice

Grow It Long 2020 Challenge

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by NaturalShe94, Dec 16, 2019.

1. mayoo

mayoo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Sorry I missed this!
    Here are my answers~

What products do you guys use to prepare for a braid out?

I braid on freshly washed hair with my leave in (currently looking for a staple. Using Maui Moisture Curl Milk currently), raw shea butter and olive oil on top.

Rebraid with water, leave-ins, shea butter only on ends

Undo braids in the morning with oil only

Do bigger plaits result a better braid out vs finer plaits?
    For me, yes. I prefer a more stretched braid out. With finer braids, it ends up more angled and puffy for me.

Do you get a better braid out styling on already dried stretched hair or on damp hair?
    Do you mean initally or rebraiding?
    When I first start it, it's always on wet hair right after deep conditioning.

When rebraiding, I don't wet the braid apart from the ends. Otherwise I get a lot of tangles.

Hope this answered the questions :)

2. Mapleoats

Mapleoats Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    You rebraid nightly?

ItsMeLilLucky likes this.
  3. mayoo

mayoo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Yep, I rebraid and moisturise ends nightly

If not, it will be in a weird shape + have tangles + not as stretched the next day

4. mayoo

mayoo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
  5. GettingKinky

GettingKinky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My ends ( the last 5-6 inches of my hair) are really damaged and tangly. Part of me wants to cut them off and start fresh, but my hair already shrinks so much, so I’m just going to grow them out. I’m the meantime I’ll use protein DCs and olaplex #3 on them.

keranikki and MzSwift like this.
  6. Mapleoats

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I can relate. I got my hair rollerset yesterday and had to trim about an inch or so off. So I’m more or less cut off all the length I’ve gained so far this year :( but it was necessary. Maybe try wearing your hair stretched a little more to help reduce the tangling?

keranikki, GettingKinky and MzSwift like this.
  7. CurliDiva

CurliDiva Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I tried the Auntie Jackie's in control conditioner again. A big NO!

keranikki, nyeredzi and Mapleoats like this.
  8. mayoo

mayoo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Oh noooo, I literally bought it 5 minutes ago. What's wrong with it?

9. NaturalShe94

NaturalShe94 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    You better stop it with it with the protein missy! :spank: You’re gonna have to clarify to get the excess protein out now. Your hair is most likely low porosity which resists protein because the cuticle is tightly closed. Low porosity hair is already super healthy so there’s no need for added protein. You recently used a strong protein DC and now you’ve gone in with another so now you’ve got breakage! :badgirl:

10. CurliDiva

Blog Posts:
    I threw it away! It has a weird consistency and never melted into my hair as a conditioner should. My hair turned hard and dry.

11. BeautifulRoots

BeautifulRoots Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    How are you liking the LCL dryer so far?

12. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My head was itching a bit. It's about 3 days after washing. I just mixed a little olive oil with a few drops of tea tree oil and cedarwood oil and massaged it into the parts of my scalp that itch. Let's see if it makes any difference.

I also finished retwisting my medium twists (16 twists) with QB cocoa tree detangling ghee and they are looking and feeling good. I was able to pull out some shed hairs in the retwisting too. It's a nice product. I'm almost out. The shea thread people have convinced me to try shea next, again. I haven't tried a mostly shea product in so long I've forgotten what it's like. So that will be my next leave-in. As a I said, I'm not a product junkie, so for me it's 1 leave-in at a time, plus an oil if I feel it helps.

keranikki and MzSwift like this.
  13. mayoo

mayoo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
     :cry3::cry3::cry3:You're so right :cry3::cry3::cry3:

I'm being so silly with my hair, lately. I used to exclusively use moisturising DCs and my hair was thriving. Not really sure when I forgot that...

14. mayoo

mayoo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:

Oh wow. My hair usually loves Aunt Jackie's DCs so I wanted to try it out... I hope my hair doesn't have the same reaction

15. CurliDiva

Blog Posts:
    This is great advice! :urock:

NaturalShe94 likes this.
  16. Mapleoats

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    So far so good!!! I use it weekly to DC, but I’m going to dust off my tabletop steamer and start steaming instead. I plan to do rollersets and rod set going forward, so I’ll still be using the dryer atleast 3 times a month, if not weekly :)

17. BeautifulRoots

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Good to know! That's great you can use it for DC too.

I'm mainly looking to try roller setting as well as setting my braid outs. Tired of the multi-day damp hair, lol. Going to save my coins to purchase it in the future.

18. nyeredzi

Blog Posts:
    My head isn't itching today. It comes and goes, so I'm not sure if the oil is what helped. But I'm at least happy that it didn't make my head itch more. For years I've avoided putting things directly on my scalp because my recollection was that it made my head itch. I'm still going to avoid putting conditioners on my scalp, still too scared to do that. But I'm happy for now to have evidence that it's possible for me to put oil on my scalp and have it not itch.

keranikki and GettingKinky like this.
  19. NaturalShe94

NaturalShe94 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    See look atcha! Overwhelming those beautiful tresses with protein because you wanna “experiment” :catfight:

keranikki likes this.
  20. Mapleoats

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I previously had a cheaper dryer before purchasing this one. My old dryer got the job done but the LCL is so much better! It is quite a bit big tho, I usually take the hood off the stand and store it in my closet when not in use.

and yess! Glad to hear someone else is venturing into the rollersetting space :) I’m new to rollersets so I would love to hear your experience as well.

21. Mapleoats

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    have you tried diluted ACV, mixed with some drops of essential oil? I would apply this to my scalp 2-3 times a week with a dropper bottle and that really helped clear up dandruff’s and itchiness. Now I only apply it to my scalp once a week (wash day), or twice if I’m gonna be stretching my wash. I don’t rinse it out.

snoop and nyeredzi like this.
  22. HappyAtLast

HappyAtLast 2020 Simplicity & Peacefulness

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I've been experimenting today to find the right moisturizer. I think I found a strong contender. This is my first time trying the LOC method. It's been on my hair since early this morning and it still feel very nice. More testing to come.

L - 50/50 blend of avj & Infusium, plus a few drops of glycerin.
    O - Ultra Sheen grease (yep:afro:)
    C - Aussie Moist conditioner

keranikki and Mapleoats like this.
  23. nyeredzi

Blog Posts:
    I've tried diluted acv before, not with essential oils. I've tried versions of rinsing my hair and scalp with it after washing, and a spray mix of avj and acv. I can't say I noticed a difference. If just the oil mix is not working out again, I might try the acv + oils. Thanks.

I got my melanin haircare twist elongating cream today. They must have beamed it to me, it came so fast. I hate paying $10 shipping for just 1 item, but I didn't really need anything else at the moment. and after the disappointing reviews for the multi-use cream, which I was going to try, I decided to just get the twist cream. I just have to tell my head it's $27 for 16 oz. If it's very good, that's an okay price. I paid $38 for 16 oz of QB cocoa ghee, so it's not out of norm. Though, that is also expensive. :lol: I console myself with the knowledge that I don't buy as many products as some others. I have basic oils (olive, coconut, castor) which are quite affordable and last forever, and 1 creamy leave in at a time. And that's it for leave in things.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Mapleoats likes this.
  24. BeautifulRoots

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the storage tip, I may try that when I puechase.

Yes will have to come back and update on the rollersetting when I get it. The goal is to go from wet to dry with the rollers vs having to flat iron or blow dry first, then rollerset. Fingers crossed it works!

Mapleoats likes this.
  25. keranikki

keranikki I am me, me I am, please be you

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I'm feeling scissor happy, 'tis all. I just want to cut my color off.

HappyAtLast likes this.
  26. Mapleoats

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    How much inches of color do you have left?

keranikki and nyeredzi like this.
  27. nyeredzi

Blog Posts:
    I tried a bentonite clay wash (a real one, not my disaster of an attempt to mix myself) today for the first time. A Terressentials I picked up on a whim when I was at an organic store looking for fenugreek (the supposed magical seed). That stuff is indeed totally different from shampoo. Usually people recommend products to me, and the new product is quite similar to some other product I've tried. But that clay is totally different from shampoo. I didn't condition after, I actually totally forgot :lol: how could i, I wonder, because my hard was hard as heck. :lol: I put melanin twist cream on and sealed with castor oil, hair is stiff and hard. I think for this kind of clay, you absolutely need to really condition afterwards. I do usually condition, but there are times when I haven't and just added a little conditioner to my hair afterwards and left it in. That would be a no go for this wash. I also had some breakage, broken hairs on my hand. But that's been going on off and on for a couple of months. Nevertheless, my hair is retaining some, overall, over the last couple of months.

This was also my first time trying the melanin hair care cream. Not impressed, but then again, it's not really fair given how my hair was after using the clay. I'm willing to try it again in different circumstances. But I also tried it on my daughter's hair, where I didn't use the clay, and still not impressed. I remember why I don't really use shea butter products. As a general rule, I'm not impressed by them. I'd rather have kinky curly knot today and/or Qhemet Biologics cocoa tree detangling ghee. Oh well, it was worth a try.

MzSwift and snoop like this.
  28. nyeredzi

Blog Posts:
    So, there's something I wonder about. For a while, when I was having the most breakage, I was measuring weekly. Seemed like my hair wasn't budging. Then one week, it seemed at least a half inch, in some parts almost an inch longer. I don't know if it was a previous error of measurement or what. But it made me wonder if hair really grows at a steady clip. Or if most hairs on the head can be resting at the same time and then you have a sudden spurt over most of them, and then a rest again? If so, then I really can't trust when people report a lot of growth with a product or method, as it might have just been coincidence that their hair had a spurt at that time. What do you guys think?

GGsKin and snoop like this.
  29. snoop

snoop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    This weekend I washed my hair after leaving my hair in mini twists for a month.

The pros were that I wasn't refreshing my hair often. The cons... I didn't wash my hair for a month.:look: I wasn't planning on doing this again any time soon, but if I do, I will be sure to cleans my scalp somehow weekly and then wash my strands at the end of the month.

I did have some breakage, but I always do. I think this is partly to do with how I handle my hair. It was WAY less than I normally get. I also had less shedding than I'm used to getting for my normal shed. Both of these things combined makes me wonder just how long my hair would have gotten over the past 8 years if I had learned how to properly detangle my hair.

NaturalShe94 and MzSwift like this.
  30. HappyAtLast

HappyAtLast 2020 Simplicity & Peacefulness

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I big chopped yesterday. I just really got tired of the scraggly relaxed hair dangling from my thick, textured natural hair. More importantly, I got tired of caring for, investing time, and using products on hair I planned to eventually cut anyway. So I'm 7 months post, from APL to TWA and it feels great!