Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

GabbyABaby

I would like to join @Lucia :clap:

State your challenge goal Bronze, Gold, Platinum, Diamond (you can change this status at anytime): Diamond

Start Date: November 18 2015

End Date: November 18 2016

Hair Length Goal for this Challenge: Full waist length (currently midback length)

Ultimate Hair Length Goal: Hip length

What or who inspired you to go for this goal ex: a picture of celeb, YT, someone on hairboards, blogger etc (post links): No one in particular. I've wanted hip length hair for a long time, but I've had too many setbacks due to my desire for perfect ends.

Regimen: Wash & DC 1x/week. Cornrowed under wig 7 days a week. Touch up every 3 months.

Extras to help get to goal faster: Manetabolism

What you will do once you reach goal: Clip ends and maybe get highlights

Last edited:

caliscurls

Checking in:

I'm a full BSB and a nice MBL now. I'm tempted to straighten it but am going to hold off until the fall/winter. If things go well I should be just barely ( truly just barely ) WL in December.

Full update here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/waist-length-challenge-2015.702357/page-61#post-21487465

Checking in:
Things are progressing as expected, WL is about an inch away now, maybe less. I got a bit of a growth spurt this past 2 months (or it could be how I was checking length before....lightly brushing before hand this time vs. not before). I'm confident I will be right at WL by 11:59pm 12/31/15 lol.

I can't remember the last time I dusted or did an S&D....might take one of my passes in December.

Looking back over my posts I can say that as this year has progressed the biggest things that have helped my retention are:
- this challenge
- loose twists and buns (which means low manipulation and protective styling)
- adding a good protein routine
- using products lightly
- being consistent with deep conditioning
- low manipulation on wash day

HHJ!

Aggie

upload_2015-11-23_12-28-31.png

Ladies this is my starting pic and truthfully, I don't know how to use the attachment file on this new board format. I need help because I keep getting an error reading every time I try. So if someone can kindly walk me through it, that would be awesome. Thanks. I got this one using Onenote. Even that, I'm not sure how I did it.

Lucia

Ok got the link from
@Aggie
Reposting here. The Hairdrenalin recipe for reference

Now I don't know if it works or not yet I have yet to try it so try at your own risk of you do try post any results with this mixture.

http://www.blackhairinformation.com...method-hairdrenalin-potion-bamboo-leaf-tea/2/

16oz clear castor oil or Jamaican black castor oilCastor oil is great for regrowing bald spots in people suffering from alopecia.

45 black tea bags – Black tea contains caffeine which stimulates hair growth.

30 biotin pills 5000mcgBiotin is the original hair growth supplement and also stimulates hair growth and thickens hair too.

½ bottle cayenne pepper We wrote something recently on cayenne pepper being used as a hair growth aid

4 large squirts of onion oil – Onion is also commonly used to stimulate hair growth and we recent wrote a post on an onion juice hair growth aid.

2 large squirts of garlic oil – Garlic is known to stop shedding and is commonly used in some medicated shampoos.

Stocking or cheesecloth to strain the oil

You will also need an oven preheated to 200 degrees f

Pour the castor oil into an oven proof dish (she used a loaf pan). Add just the contents of the tea bags, not the bags themselves to the oil and also pour in the contents of the biotin capsules into the mix and not the whole capsule. I would imagine that if you use biotin pills you can crush them before adding to the mix.

Mix the concoction really well then put in the oven for and no less than 5 hours but no more than 5 ½ hours, yes beauty takes a looooong time! The cooking time allows the ingredients to fully infuse into the oil. After the time has elapsed strain the oil through the stocking/cheesecloth.

Now add the onion and garlic oils in a 2:1 ratio to your strained oil mix. In the video (at the end of the post) she says ‘drops of oil’ but they look more like large squirts to me. Shake the bottle to combine.

She also recommends a dark colored bottle to store the oil in but it appears that a normal applicator bottle works just as well. And that’s your hairdrenalin potion made!

Aggie

Loving my hair today:love:

Used a combination of jbco, evco and evoo to do pre-poo under the dryer earlier, washed with Elucence Clarifying Shapoo followed with Macadamia Natual Oil Weightless Moisture Shampoo. Now I'm sitting under my dryer with Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment.

I'll be following this up with Macadamia Natural Oil Nourishing Moisture Masque to soften it up. I'll moisturize and seal, plait in some celies, slap on my wig and out the house I go. Next week, I need to color my hair I can't decide if I'll use a demi permanent or henna my hair as yet

Dee Raven

So I was just watching Ivy Charlaine's channel. She's been doing a length challenge, and has been measuring once a month. She his five or six areas that she measures and I think that I'm going to start doing that for the next year. I used to do it before and I forgot, but it's the most accurate way to measure length.

Lucia

Updates
DC
Avocado and egg on dirty dry hair 20m under heat cap
Co wash with CRN cleansing co wash Squeezed out excess water
Followed up with CRN coconut deep conditioner 30m heat cap
Leave in LOC coconut oil CRN moisture milk and moisture butter
My hair feels awesome after that DC it's now one of my favorite DC treatments most store bought DC don't work for me I always had to tweak them myself and my hair hates them straight off he shelf but this one worked.
I did an s and d on my ends and a 1/8" trim I can't remember the last time I trimmed at all but I know I haven't used any passes yet. I have hidden my scissors and since its dry and cold out going to put castor oil back on rotation in my regimen.
Also I'm still doing inversion method once that's done I'll go back to 3 x a week scalp massages no inversion.
My short term goal is 2 inches by New Years next goal after that is 1 inch a month in the new year using inversion 1 x a month. If I do this follow my no heat regimen and don't cut any length I should be HL by spring. I will breakthrough WL wall
ETA
This is my 1st trim pass used in over 6m :yay:

Last edited:

Amarilles

Eugh. I trimmed my hair just now, hair is just everywhere all the time and I'm tired. :sick2: So I've used one of my 2 trimming passes, doubt I'll trim again before 5/16 (my end date) but I'll update if I do.

I don't think I trimmed too much, I kinda grabbed at sections of hair and cut the tips. No particular method or order, ended up cutting 1/2 to 1 inch. Pic below is after the trim.

20151213_10464.jpg
20151213_110010.jpg

traceedeebee

Going to ask Siri what ratchet means. :lol:
I died when she said she actually had a tail. :lachen:Thanks for the laugh! I think the next time I'm called bald headed I'll remember that long haired girls have it rough with all that unsolicited advice. All I get is 'girl, if you just use some castor oil or coconut oil, your hair would really grow out faster.'

Dee Raven

I just watched strdesign1's trimming video and I am in love. I feel like my hair naturally grows in layers, or maybe I have layers that I never evened out, but her way will allow me to even out the top of my hair in addition to just the bottom layer. And I really love the shape of her natural hair. I feel like the deva cut works great for a certain length, but once you move past shoulder length there needs to be a different proportion.

Can't wait to use to try this for my second trim, which I will be of course waiting for, lol. Maybe February or March.