Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2015

Kaitlynrs91

Yep this worked! Went I went visit a friend for the weekend and we are all kinda of crazy stuff lol the whole time.. Came back home went to the gym and 3 days later I was 2 lbs lighter then I was before

davisbr88

hareluvah: I TOTALLY get the gym cost thing! If it wasn't included in my student fees, I wouldn't have one. When I was working before I came back to grad, I definitely didn't have the means to spend that every month. But you definitely CAN make huge changes with just diet. I lost 40 lbs just eating LC in 4 months last year. Didn't lift a dang finger during any of it until the end when I wanted to tone up.

HairPleezeGrow: go, girl! You're doing awesome! Those workouts are paying off!

shortdub78: if you're looking to be a personal salad preparer for a living, I'm buying!

TwistedRoots and Prettymetty: yassssss on that inch loss! I have no idea what my waist measurement is anymore but y'all are making me want to pull out my tape!

davisbr88

naptime: I also am a proponent of loading up when I've hit a plateau. I tend to load up on fat -- like 80-90% fat -- for 2 days, and I am usually able to drop 3-4 lbs and then I get back on whatever plan I'm following. I know a lot of people carb up, but I can't. It's fat for me!

davisbr88

As you all can probably tell from the bazillion mentions you just received, I am back from China and finally all caught up! You guys are doing so well!!!!
I am happy to report that I am now down to 160.8 for a total loss of 15.8 lbs since beginning my anti-candida diet on 3/1. I won my Dietbet game on 3/16, weighing in at about 6 lbs under my goal and won about $44.
I feel SO much better already and I am looking forward to meeting my next goal of 156.9 by April 7, which is the end of my next Dietbet game!
I am definitely going to continue using Dietbet. As a poor grad student, winning money is obviously a serious motivator for me! Not a grain of rice or any other carb passed my lips while on vacation and that is literally a FIRST for my entire life, and it was especially complicated because I was in China. I usually use vacations as excuses to let myself go crazy. Not this time.

ETA: Prettymetty - you will be happy to know that I am trimming my ends tonight per the lunar chart, which will be the first time since I went on that daily trimming phase earlier this year :grin:

Fab79

davisbr88 - I'm officially (unofficially) joining you ladies, I'm late to the party but am definitely committing. This is my year. I will go back and read through the thread but here's my stats

Hair Goals
Current Length: Just past APL
2015 Goal Length: Full BSL or past it to MBL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 4A
How you will achieve goal: Cowash & Deep con alternate weeks

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 204lbs, as of this morning 3/19
Goal Weight: ultimate goal of 137lbs, see how close I get to it this year
Current Dress Size: UK 18
Goal Size: UK 10/12
How you will achieve goal: Cardio, weight training, eating healthier options, drinking 8+ glasses of water daily

I have intro session with a PT on Monday, will be discussing weight training and my mate gave me a beginners weight training plan for ladies so will take that with me as that's what I want to do.

I'm food shopping over the weekend to get healthy options back in and will be working towards logging more regularly on MFP

polished07

Hair Goals Current Length: Past APL 2015 Goal Length: MBL Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural Hair type: 4B/C How you will achieve goal: TRIMS, protective styling, Steaming (finally) and DCing Weight/Fitness Goals Current Weight: 182lbs Goal Weight: 155 Current Dress Size: 8/10 Goal Size: 6 How you will achieve goal: clean eats with high protein/low carb, lifestyle change, gym 4-5X's per week, strength 3X's, increased water intake, sups

Hello ladies I really need the motivation and would love to join!

Last edited:

ronie

Fab79 and polished07 welcome to the party.
davisbr88 welcome back and congratulations on your amazing progress. Please refresh my memory on that anti candida diet. I can use 15 lbs in less than a month.
HairPleezeGrow your hair looks so beautiful.
On my side, I need to wash my hair badly. I have been doing a lot more cardio in addition to my body works classes. Weekly washing are not cutting it anymore. I am now 148lbs, and I'm itching for the 130's already.
145-April 17th
139.5- June 1st
135-July 20th
129.5 September 20
Updated goals

Fab79

Thanks ronie. I'm looking to go back into protective styles so I can work out more. It's easier on my hair when it's in cornrows and I cowash it. Will probably wig it up. But really want twist but YT tutorials ain't my friend

ronie

Hair Goals: Gain more thickness, grow my hair to almost MBL so i can get a nice cut at just below APL Current Length: APL 2015 Goal Length: BSL, grazing MBL Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural Hair type: 4c, fine to medium, low density How you will achieve goal: Moisturize and seal as needed, wash and DC weekly, Protein treatment every 2 weeks, trim every 3 months with monthly sessions of search and destroy, low manipulation styles (buns), stick to staple products, phytophanere vitamins and sundown vitamins garlic supplements Weight/Fitness Goals: GEt my waste back, wear a 2 piece bikini by end of summer, be light enough so hubby can carry me to bed without him getting out of breath:lachen::lachen:. Current Weight: 153 Goal Weight: 127 on empty stomach, 130 after a light meal. Current Dress Size: 6 Goal Size: 4 How you will achieve goal: Homemade green/protein smoothie daily 80 oz of water at least daily Cut out juice and sugar No more eating giant meals at work ( i work overnight 7pm-7am). I now eat my main meal during the day and i only snack on baby carrots, yogurt, and brown rice snaps. No more than 300 calories. I used to eat at work, then come home make breakfast eat, go to sleep, and wake up eat again, go to work and repeat. I was eating 24 hours a day basically. Thank God i only work 3 days a week. Zigzaging my calorie intake to keep my body guessing, so that i don't plateau. I need 1200 calories a day, so one day i will do 1000, the next i will do 1400 or 900/1500. Body works class at LA Fitness at least 4 times a week. Daily 15 minutes arm work out at home with 10 lbs dumbells. My fat arms are killing me. I really want to focus more on my eating and strengthening workouts this time. I may introduce some cardio later, but so far i have lost 10 lbs since December 19th without, so i will stick to the plan. Some of my dresses are already zipping up. Although i am not able to wear them yet, but i can get them on and zip them all the way up. Later i would like to take actual measurements, and monitor my BMI. It was at 34 when i weighed 164lbs at the GYM back in December. I would be hapy with 25 BMI.
So I started the challenge at 153lbs 7 weeks ago. I only lost 5 lbs. That is crazy. I spent 5 weeks at 152 lbs. But I did loose 11 lbs from December 19th to January 30th. I just hope I don't plateau again until the 130's at least.

davisbr88

polished07 Fab79: welcome!!!! We're happy to have you :D

ronie: it's a really restrictive diet. It really is mostly meat (minus beef and cured pork) and mostly green vegetables. Absolutely no sugar (including fruit and starchy veg), wheat, or dairy (but I'm allergic to the last 2 anyway). That's literally it.
I have consumed a few nuts when I couldn't get a hold of any meat and vegetables without soy sauce or some other wheat- or sugar-based marinade/seasoning, but I do not eat those often. I also don't consume caffeine (I did have some tea in China but I'm back to 0), aspartame, eggs, or nightshades.
If this diet wasn't medically-prescribed, I don't think I would be able to follow it, but since I know it's for the greater good and it's not for forever, I think it makes it easier.
Also (and this is the huge difference), I only eat when I'm hungry and I stop when full, which means I also don't eat large quantities of food. When I was LC before I would overstuff myself because I knew I wouldn't gain anyway, but now I physically can't handle taxing my system with a bunch of food.
Sorry that was so long, but I hope that helps!

Last edited:

davisbr88

The weight loss is definitely slowing down now, but I don't mind. I'm to 160.6 this morning, and I can't wait to get out of the 160s for good!
I may do a high fat weekend just to make sure it happens, but I haven't decided yet. I only need to lose 0.2 everyday to win my dietbet by the 7th, so I may just let the small losses ride out until I plateau (though I am not claiming I will anytime soon!).
Today's breakfast was uncured bacon and the tropical pineapple fruitwater. I'm still pretty tired from travel, so I didn't have the energy to get anything else. Not yet sure what lunch will be, but I think I may need to order in since I am doing some data collection for my research.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I had a pbj sandwich for breakfast. The babies let me sleep in so I actually have energy today. I may take them out for a walk in their new wagon later. Today is a really nice day. It's cool and cloudy. No need for shades :cool:

ronie

polished07 Fab79: welcome!!!! We're happy to have you :D ronie: it's a really restrictive diet. It really is mostly meat (minus beef and cured pork) and mostly green vegetables. Absolutely no sugar (including fruit and starchy veg), wheat, or dairy (but I'm allergic to the last 2 anyway). That's literally it. I have consumed a few nuts when I couldn't get a hold of any meat and vegetables without soy sauce or some other wheat- or sugar-based marinade/seasoning, but I do not eat those often. I also don't consume caffeine (I did have some tea in China but I'm back to 0), aspartame, eggs, or nightshades. If this diet wasn't medically-prescribed, I don't think I would be able to follow it, but since I know it's for the greater good and it's not for forever, I think it makes it easier. Also (and this is the huge difference), I only eat when I'm hungry and I stop when full, which means I also don't eat large quantities of food. When I was LC before I would overstuff myself because I knew I wouldn't gain anyway, but now I physically can't handle taxing my system with a bunch of food. Sorry that was so long, but I hope that helps!
Girl I wish I could do this for 2 days, lollll. You are good. No eggs, dairy (cheese, yogurt and milk head here), no carbs? Missy you are good. I am happy you were able to maintain it for your health though.

ronie

This morning breakfast was a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of bolthouse carrot juice. I ran for 30 mns on the thread mil, and did 20 mns on the stair master. I am now enjoying a bowl of instant oat meal. I added half a cup of 2% milk. Dinner will be a lean cuisine dinner: spaghetti and meat sauce (320 calories) with homemade baby carrots, sliced cucumber and lettuce salad. 2 litters of water down so far.
My hair will be washed, DCd, and blown out later for a stretched braid out.

davisbr88

Mmmmm. Y'all keep talking about sandwiches and honestly, it's one of the simplest meals but so good! I can't wait until I transition out of this diet in a few months so I can make myself a gluten-free tuna sandwich!

In other news: I'm currently plopping and plan to band overnight. I put my hair in a Caruso set on stretched hair today and I want to repeat it tomorrow!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Dh took his lunch break around the time that I picked up my oldest son from school, so he asked us to meet him for lunch. We went to a seafood place called Mambo's. I had fish, fries and some fried rice. I probably shouldn't eat anything else today. I have to admit it was nice having lunch with dh. It has been a while :)

davisbr88

Thanks, Prettymetty! It's a gift and a curse. Feels great but definitely prone to splits :-/
Also, I used to love Mambo when I lived in Houston! Too bad I didn't have your willpower then... I would eat there for lunch and a plethora of tacos/tamales/pupusas for dinner and snacks!

ronie

We went to a diner for date night last night. I had stuffed lobster tail and rib eye steak with 2 sides of vegetables. I only ate half of the steak and lobster. I had 2 buffalo wings as appetizer and a garden salad. I drank mostly water and a few sips of my strawberry daiquiri. I hope that wasn't too much damage. I only had around 900 calories during the day and I worked for 500.
We had so much fun. We usually go out dancing, and dinners dates usually include our daughter. I enjoyed just sitting and talking romantic stuff which is impossible at the club, loll.
I'm doing the same routine I did yesterday.
Heading to the gym right now. Happy weekend ladies.

davisbr88

ronie: sounds like an amazing date night! I would love some stuffed lobster! I haven't decided what I am eating yet today. Today is a super lazy day.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Fab79 and polished07 welcome to the party.
davisbr88 welcome back and congratulations on your amazing progress. Please refresh my memory on that anti candida diet. I can use 15 lbs in less than a month.
HairPleezeGrow your hair looks so beautiful.
On my side, I need to wash my hair badly. I have been doing a lot more cardio in addition to my body works classes. Weekly washing are not cutting it anymore. I am now 148lbs, and I'm itching for the 130's already.
145-April 17th
139.5- June 1st
135-July 20th
129.5 September 20
Updated goals

ronie thank you hun. That's great you're on top of your workouts.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Mmmmm. Y'all keep talking about sandwiches and honestly, it's one of the simplest meals but so good! I can't wait until I transition out of this diet in a few months so I can make myself a gluten-free tuna sandwich!

In other news: I'm currently plopping and plan to band overnight. I put my hair in a Caruso set on stretched hair today and I want to repeat it tomorrow!

You look great!

davisbr88

HairPleezeGrow: thank you!
And don't fret about the 2 lbs! I know it might not be as much as you want but it's 2 lbs less than you were! Is it TOM? Maybe you're retaining water?
Also, I know that almost immediately after I start working out, my weight loss stalls. I tone up, lose inches, and build muscle very quickly but the weight loss just comes to a halt for months until I get a random whoosh on the scale. This is why I haven't really worked out yet. I'm just not psychologically ready to see my weight stay the same until I get much closer to goal.
So, all that to say, if you're building muscle and still losing, you're doing great to me!

ronie

Mmmmm. Y'all keep talking about sandwiches and honestly, it's one of the simplest meals but so good! I can't wait until I transition out of this diet in a few months so I can make myself a gluten-free tuna sandwich! In other news: I'm currently plopping and plan to band overnight. I put my hair in a Caruso set on stretched hair today and I want to repeat it tomorrow!
You and your curls are so pretty davisbr88
HairPleezeGrow 2 lbs is excellent. I will be happy with 1 lb a week. With all the lbs you dropped in the past few weeks, you should expect your body to slow it down now. Keep up the good work missy.

ronie

Mmmmm. Y'all keep talking about sandwiches and honestly, it's one of the simplest meals but so good! I can't wait until I transition out of this diet in a few months so I can make myself a gluten-free tuna sandwich! In other news: I'm currently plopping and plan to band overnight. I put my hair in a Caruso set on stretched hair today and I want to repeat it tomorrow!
You and your curls are so pretty davisbr88
HairPleezeGrow 2 lbs is excellent. I will be happy with 1 lb a week. With all the lbs you dropped in the past few weeks, you should expect your body to slow it down now. Keep up the good work missy.