Hip Length And Beyond. 2019 Challenge!

Dee Raven

Hey ladies, I just finished flat ironing and giving myself a trim. I think I ended up cutting off an inch, so I'm going to have to be a bit more mindful the next time I trim. I used some string to mark WSL, HL and TBL and I think I'm about an inch from TBL, so hopefully I'll be there by March or April.

Here's my starting pic:

Attachments

• Jan419post.jpg
    Jan419post.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 125

LaVgirl

Hi ladies! Is it too late to join? I think I'm hovering between HL and TBL and I would really like to get to full HL this year. I've been in slacker/maintenance mode for a while and I'm finally ready to get going again on this hair journey!

PlanetCybertron

Hey ladies, I just finished flat ironing and giving myself a trim. I think I ended up cutting off an inch, so I'm going to have to be a bit more mindful the next time I trim. I used some string to mark WSL, HL and TBL and I think I'm about an inch from TBL, so hopefully I'll be there by March or April.

Here's my starting pic:

Oh....my gawsh. Lovely hair! Can we swap hemlines? Lol. Love your hemline thicknessssssss.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

Here's my starting pic:

Love it !

snoop

Alright so about that Butter Mix I mentioned earlier.

First off, here’s the link:
https://etsy.me/2QnDajU

I’m in LOVE with this stuff. I’m completely willing to look over the fact that 4oz is 18$, just because their formula is awesome. While this isn’t Shea Butter, it’s now one of my favorites.

Mixture contains Cold Pressed Oils, Cupuacu, Cacao, and MuruMuru Butter. And I will be be buying more, because that container isn’t going to last as long as I think it will. It’s technically meant for your skin, but I was so interested in the ingredients, and I’ve never used any of the butters mentioned, but I’ve always wanted to.

Super light weight, they whipped this butter better than I whip my own butters. Deep, sweet, earthy, kind of Chocolate smell, and not heavy. I even went ahead and moisturized my scalp with it, and put a bit on my skin, mostly my tattoos since they require a bit more attention than the rest of my skin. Absolutely love this stuff, although it will mainly be for my hair.

I haven’t done a DC with this, but I just might to see how it goes.

Here’s a picture of how big it is. Not very big, and I have tiny hands, for what it’s worth, but worth a try in my personal opinion.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I've been using cupuaçu in my hair moisturizer for years and I was just about to search the boards to see if cocoa butter was "ok" to use on our hair. I find that it creates a smooth texture to my body lotion, I think that it would be a great addition to my hair. I might try to dupe this this week. :look:

SmilingElephant

Okay! I'm checking in for my first wash day of the year!

Today I did my DIY deep conditioner, I let it sit in my hair for 2 hours, rinsed/shampooed it out. I followed with my rice water/aloe vera juice/jbco mix and used it as a rinse, let that sit as I showered.

Then!!! I used my regular moisturizing conditioner and detsngled, then did my wash n go as usual.

My hair feels so strong all the way into the roots! It really was asking for protein bc I had noticed my strands were super stretchy, and this tightened them up with the QUICKNESS!! :yep:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

Here's my starting pic:
Oh shoot! Go girl! :dance7: Making a grand entrance to the stage: Regal @Dee Raven. I added you on page 3. With the other starting pics. :clap:

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Hi ladies! Is it too late to join? I think I'm hovering between HL and TBL and I would really like to get to full HL this year. I've been in slacker/maintenance mode for a while and I'm finally ready to get going again on this hair journey!

Nope, its too late to join I'm sorry.

.......Syke! You better get in here!:bighug:please join us and post a starting pic so I can add you to the magazine cover on Page three :giveheart:.

snoop

So I'm checking in with my length check picture for the year. Last year, not only did I not gain any length, but I lost some of what I previously had.

I'm amazed at all of the HL ladies on the board!!! Were you guys hiding or have I not been reading the right threads? I'm hoping to get some tips from you guys! Happy growing everyone!

Attachments

• LengthCheck_LHCF-01.jpeg
    LengthCheck_LHCF-01.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 102

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
So I'm checking in with my length check picture for the year. Last year, not only did I not gain any length, but I lost some of what I previously had.

I'm amazed at all of the HL ladies on the board!!! Were you guys hiding or have I not been reading the right threads? I'm hoping to get some tips from you guys! Happy growing everyone!
Yay! Beautiful!! :bounceline: Your picture is officially added to the Hall Of Fame on Page 3!

Your hair is "all that".

SmilingElephant

Weekly Check In! :wave:

SO! An update...I just started a new full-time job that I kinda like so far. Trying to not be so overly excited about it, because a job is a job. :lol: However, it is something that I can tolerate as long as I can control my distance with clingy co-workers and keep my mind focused on my true career goals which this job will be financing. :D That being said, I might not be as consistent as I would like to be in this thread, but I will try to keep my same energy throughout the year.:yep:

Yesterday was my wash day, so I used up the rest of my DIY deep conditioner, shampooed it out, and then detangled using up my conditioners I have in my bathroom that are almost used up. I think I got too excited and went in super heavy with my products. I used the JBCO Smoothie by Shea Moisture as my leave in, I am not a big fan of that smoothie as my hair feels like it doesn't want to receive the product...? If that makes sense? :look: I then applied my oil mix and my Wetline Xtreme gel (clear), and slicked it back into a ponytail.

Today? My hair is still wet, which is typical for me lol!

Earlier this week, I tried the Jessicurl Cleansing Cream and the Too Shea Conditioner. It was an additional 50% off at Sally's, and I don't understand why because my hair LOVED it!!! The scent and everything! (Lavender Citrus). Guess I'll have to order online if I want to buy more again :ohwell:

I have been making my nape my main priority during this recovery phase so that it can grow evenly, or even faster than my crown. So I do 3 sections now, instead of 2, when I condition and detangle. I have been sure to put extra conditioner on that area because it is thee driest area. Before, I was under the impression that parting my hair in half was allowing all of my hair to receive conditioner equally, but I have discovered that that is NOT the case, which leads to that weird asymmetrical/mushroom effect as it grows out.

As far as comparison pictures, I am doing monthly selfies at the end of each month, so that will be the time I share my pics. And every 3 months, I want to make a collage of the pics so that I can end up with a year of length check/growth comparison pics. :)

snoop

I've been trying to find a way to incorporate glycerine into my regimen. So far what I'm doing is immediately after washing, I LCO after washing using glycerine+AVJ+water as my spritz. I do it again the next morning and THEN style, so that I can hopefully minimize the amount of frizz. Then for the rest of the week I use my regular spray of Giovanni Direct Leave-In and water. I'm also sealing my ends with shea butter -- so LCOB. So far, it seems OK. It's much better than using castor oil to seal my ends. Much less greasy. I've also been sporting two strand twists since the end of last year.

Chicoro

I've been trying to find a way to incorporate glycerine into my regimen. So far what I'm doing is immediately after washing, I LCO after washing using glycerine+AVJ+water as my spritz. I do it again the next morning and THEN style, so that I can hopefully minimize the amount of frizz. Then for the rest of the week I use my regular spray of Giovanni Direct Leave-In and water. I'm also sealing my ends with shea butter -- so LCOB. So far, it seems OK. It's much better than using castor oil to seal my ends. Much less greasy. I've also been sporting two strand twists since the end of last year.

@snoop

Two questions.What was the impetus for you to start using glycerin? How were you using Shea butter before, when you mentioned that it was not working for your hair?

snoop

@snoop

Two questions.What was the impetus for you to start using glycerin? How were you using Shea butter before, when you mentioned that it was not working for your hair?

The jheri juice thread and one or two of the older threads with some members who had super long hair. I don't buy products so much as I like DIY so I was trying to get my fix since I haven't experimented in a while. Last year, I didn't retain anything and I'm erring on the side of caution that it wasn't due to friction on my ends -- though it was most likely over manipulation.

As for the shea, if I remember correctly, I used it as my oil not with my oil. Also, this whipped butter was gifted to me. I'm not sure if it is the method or what it was whipped with but my hair doesn't seem crispy. I've been adding the extra layer, first castor oil, now shea, in hopes that I can get my retention back to where it was before. I should be grazing TBL right now and I am just grazing WL...AGAIN. :cry3:

Chicoro

The jheri juice thread and one or two of the older threads with some members who had super long hair. I don't buy products so much as I like DIY so I was trying to get my fix since I haven't experimented in a while. Last year, I didn't retain anything and I'm erring on the side of caution that it wasn't due to friction on my ends -- though it was most likely over manipulation.

As for the shea, if I remember correctly, I used it as my oil not with my oil. Also, this whipped butter was gifted to me. I'm not sure if it is the method or what it was whipped with but my hair doesn't seem crispy. I've been adding the extra layer, first castor oil, now shea, in hopes that I can get my retention back to where it was before. I should be grazing TBL right now and I am just grazing WL...AGAIN. :cry3:

@snoop said: "I should be grazing TBL right now and I am just grazing WL...AGAIN."

Do you know how many with afro-textured hair would LOVE to be able to say, "I'm grazing waist length!"?

Regarding the setback, remember: A set-back is nothing but a set-up for a come up!
This is THE very reason I am now using Shea butter. I messed messed up my hair, my old processes were not working, and @ThatJerseyGirl commented about long haired naturals and Shea butter.

Just take it a step at a time. Your hair may surprise you and surpass the lengths you've gained in the past. You'll find your way.

snoop

@snoop said: "I should be grazing TBL right now and I am just grazing WL...AGAIN."

Do you know how many with afro-textured hair would LOVE to be able to say, "I'm grazing waist length!"?

Regarding the setback, remember: A set-back is nothing but a set-up for a come up!
This is THE very reason I am now using Shea butter. I messed messed up my hair, my old processes were not working, and @ThatJerseyGirl commented about long haired naturals and Shea butter.

Just take it a step at a time. Your hair may surprise you and surpass the lengths you've gained in the past. You'll find your way.

You're right. I'm not ungrateful, but I've been working really hard at not becoming complacent with my progress (in this and other things). This is my FIRST set back on my journey. It hurt. And it was because I became complacent with my routine last year.

I probably won't keep up with the shea and the glycerine long term, but my favourite oil (broccoli seed oil) has now gone up to a RIDICULOUS price and so I'm cutting the little bit I have with some other oils. It's not working out very well. The glycerine seems to be a good substitute until the broccoli seed oil goes on sale or I suck it up and buy it anyway.

LaVgirl

600EEA98-9480-490D-B0EC-74C46DAA47BE.jpeg Just checking in with my starting photo!
Wash day was Tuesday and I did a protein treatment for the first time in forever. My hair feels so ‘shrinky’ and strong again.
I’m super excited to be on this hair journey with you all!

Chicoro

View attachment 441599 Just checking in with my starting photo!
Wash day was Tuesday and I did a protein treatment for the first time in forever. My hair feels so ‘shrinky’ and strong again.

That tendril of hair is almost touching your thigh. :eek: AND it still has tons of texture and waves on it. So, you KNOW that hair is super long. Woo!

PlanetCybertron

View attachment 441599 Just checking in with my starting photo!

I have a question for you. Since our length is identical, I figure you could give me some advice.

Do you notice increased SSKs, as your hair gets longer? So far I’ve been doing a decent job of mitigating them, and I’m hoping this year I won’t see as many, but sometimes I’ll get them back to back. I’ve noticed they form from shedding, and I do my best to remove as many shed hairs as possible. I’m just wondering if you see more or less as your hair gets longer?

LaVgirl

@LaVgirl wow!!!! That is some shrinkage. Beautiful hair! What is your length goal? (I might've missed it, I'm just peeking in here to droll over pics :3)

ETA: It looks like it's past HL to me...
Thanks!! This was an old twist/Bantu knot out. I've been hovering around HL/TBL for a while. I would love to be full Classic length (straight) one day, or maybe a couple inches longer. I tend to be a little hair-norexic.

That tendril of hair is almost touching your thigh. :eek: AND it still has tons of texture and waves on it. So, you KNOW that hair is super long. Woo!

Thanks, girl!!

I have a question for you. Since our length is identical, I figure you could give me some advice.

Do you notice increased SSKs, as your hair gets longer? So far I’ve been doing a decent job of mitigating them, and I’m hoping this year I won’t see as many, but sometimes I’ll get them back to back. I’ve noticed they form from shedding, and I do my best to remove as many shed hairs as possible. I’m just wondering if you see more or less as your hair gets longer?
I haven't noticed an increased amount with longer lengths but I've always had a few hanging around. On the very rare occasion when my hair is all out in a non or minimally stretched state, that's when I tend to notice more. My hair is twisted and stretched 99% of the time and I detangle weekly so I feel like they don't get much of a chance to form. I am trying to transition to finger detangling in an effort to retain length so we'll see if that changes things. But hopefully not! Do you finger detangle your hair or use tools?

PlanetCybertron

finger detangle your hair or use tools?

I stwitched to no hair tools earlier last year. I have rather fine hair, so I find hair tools aren’t as gentle as my hands. I can’t go long periods just solely finger detangling, because my hands don’t catch all of the shed hairs, which will lead to a massive tangle, but I’ve managed to finger detangle/separate for mainly two weeks at a time, and set aside one day to detangle with a wide tooth comb under water, and then repeat the process.

PlanetCybertron

I was legit worried that this new low dose birth control I started taking would effect my hair, or like increase shedding. Quite the opposite. My normal shedding is going down a bit. And this stuff has helped my acne too. Go figure.

LaVgirl

Gorgeous hair :click:, can you share more of your regimen?

Thank you!! It isn't much of a regimen right now. I've been in maintenance mode for the past year :cry:
I wash and deep condition weekly. I wear my hair in 15-30 twists, usually bunned. After washing, I detangle and moisturize each twist one by one. And that's basically it. Now I'm just trying to figure out what else my hair needs to stay happy and start retaining length again.