Hip Length And Beyond. 2019 Challenge!

long.hair.dont.care

Sorry for the delay. Finally, here is my starting picture.

It was taken in November 2018 however, I did a self-trim late December. My ends have been hidden all year, so I decided not to cut all year. But I went on vacation, and to make a long story short, I cut my ends off before allowing someone to braid my hair, as to ease the combing session since I didn't have time to spend hours detangling (which I still did anyway lol). I don't remember the last time I trimmed, I was most likely due for one.

To conclude, my hair is probably at the same spot, if not a bit shorter in some areas. Still MBL, but super close to WL.

Attachments

• mbl-wl nov 2018.jpg
    mbl-wl nov 2018.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 173

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I'd say you are 2 inches max, away from waist length.
Sorry for the delay. Finally, here is my starting picture.

It was taken in November 2018 however, I did a self-trim late December. My ends have been hidden all year, so I decided not to cut all year. But I went on vacation, and to make a long story short, I cut my ends off before allowing someone to braid my hair, as to ease the combing session since I didn't have time to spend hours detangling (which I still did anyway lol). I don't remember the last time I trimmed, I was most likely due for one.

To conclude, my hair is probably at the same spot, if not a bit shorter in some areas. Still MBL, but super close to WL.

LOOK at that gorgeous texture! And the THICKness of that hair! That one braid she is pulling looks like an entire pony tail. Then, you follow the hair to the roots and see she got about 40 other braids the same thickness :eek:!

Excuse me! That's not even one braid. That's a mere section of one braid. That thickness is unreal!! Amazing !

Last edited:

Dee Raven

So I got my labs done and it turns out I'm no longer anemic (though my iron stores are still on the low side and I need to keep working on it.) Apparently my issue is that my Vitamin D is very low. When I looked up symptoms, I found a number of the symptoms that I've been feeling, including hair thinning. The Dr. gave me a high dose pill for a week and then a daily amount after that. It feels good to finally have some explanation as to what is going on with my body. In addition to the hair thinning, I've been gaining weight and none of my old approaches or really any approach to healthy diet and exercise has been helping.

long.hair.dont.care

I'd say you are 2 inches max, away from waist length.

LOOK at that gorgeous texture! And the THICKness of that hair! That one braid she is pulling looks like an entire pony tail. Then, you follow the hair to the roots and see she got about 40 other braids the same thickness :eek:!

Excuse me! That's not even one braid. That's a mere section of one braid. That thickness is unreal!! Amazing !

Yes, I'm assuming 2 inches max also :yep: and then another 2-3 inches to HL.

Why thank you! I believe my hair is more on the "thinner" side, I didnt really realise it was looking thick here. The picture was taken on a day where I moisturized with aloe+water, and sealed with *whispers* Queen Shea... I feel like your Shea senses are tingling so I thought I might as well say. That's what those white specks are in my hair.

FoxxyLocs

Had my ends trimmed a couple weeks ago. Cut maybe 2-3 inches? The very ends were super thin and see through. I still have about two inches that's not as thick as the rest of my hair, but not bad enough that I felt like I had to cut it. My length after the cut is grazing TBL.

4C04DB1B-A30C-4F1E-AEDF-B4EA98AEB855.jpeg

PlanetCybertron

Had my ends trimmed a couple weeks ago. Cut maybe 2-3 inches? The very ends were super thin and see through. I still have about two inches that's not as thick as the rest of my hair, but not bad enough that I felt like I had to cut it. My length after the cut is grazing TBL.

View attachment 442097

Last edited:

faithVA

View attachment 442097
Beautiful. I haven't seen your hair in a few years. I'm glad I didn't miss this.

Chicoro

Yes, I'm assuming 2 inches max also :yep: and then another 2-3 inches to HL.

Why thank you! I believe my hair is more on the "thinner" side, I didnt really realise it was looking thick here. The picture was taken on a day where I moisturized with aloe+water, and sealed with *whispers* Queen Shea... I feel like your Shea senses are tingling so I thought I might as well say. That's what those white specks are in my hair.

Girl, you need to stop playing. I wasn't even [consciously] thinking about Shea butter and making the connection between that gorgeous thickness and the use of Shea butter. BUT, now that you have mentioned it, I guess I am starting to cultivate a sense about connection. It must be starting to be so ingrained and automatic in me, on a subconscious level, that I can spot people who use Shea butter in their hair because of the good results. AHA! Got to go share this with my Shea sisters.

*Gallops off in the direction of the 2019 Shea butter thread with unicorn horn pointing the way!*

Chicoro

View attachment 442097

@FoxxyLocs , talk about having a screen name become the manifestation of your true hair results! Them locks are are foxy, girl!
:flahssssss:
How can this hair look EVEN more silkier than before? :click: It's so drool :drool: worthy! Continue doing what you are doing. That hair is absolutely gorgeous.

SmilingElephant

So, I have been on this forum for over a decade; therefore, those of you who know me, KNOW that my life is always a free falling, skydive of a life!

That being said, my lease was up, so I am currently relocated at my sister's place, and I will be out of here within a month's time. I completely forgot about doing a length check for the end of January, but I will try to get one up very soon!

I am still using my hair oil and co-washing, taking my vitamins, and deep conditioning. Idk if I shared this before, but I have been using Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner to co-wash, almost done using up the JessieCurl stuff (which I am very sad about!), and using Shea Moisture products to style and deep condition my hair.

I have really been eyeballing the Obia Deep conditioner for a little while now.

shanelallyn30

Hey ladies, I just finished flat ironing and giving myself a trim. I think I ended up cutting off an inch, so I'm going to have to be a bit more mindful the next time I trim. I used some string to mark WSL, HL and TBL and I think I'm about an inch from TBL, so hopefully I'll be there by March or April.

Here's my starting pic:
unicorn hair i love it!!!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

View attachment 442097
BEe-YOU-ti-FULL!!!!!!

You go girl with that length and Fullness.

Dlake

I’m a little late joining, but I’m currently tailbone length and working on hip length (?). I think that’s the next goal. I feel like I can finally start paying attention to my hair after my second child is almost 18 mos. took awhile for my postpartum shedding to slow down and for my son to start sleeping at night (finally at 14 mos!) so I’m not as exhausted and can give my hair the attention it needs to grows healthier.

Ok so anyone else having issues posting pics?? I keep having issues.

LaVgirl

A low tree branch yanked me up by the bun today and I lost a good clump of hair trying to get free. :cry3:

Anyway, just checking in! I think my hair is finally starting to retain length again. Hard to tell though. Yesterday was wash day. I’ve been experimenting with layering products for the last couple of weeks. I had gotten lazy and was just using a leave in for a while there. Do you all use the loc method? I got my Melanin Haircare order so I’m now using those products on top of my leave in.
0EB33577-7B85-4644-BF74-B0D0DD06252A.jpeg

Dlake

So, I have been on this forum for over a decade; therefore, those of you who know me, KNOW that my life is always a free falling, skydive of a life!

That being said, my lease was up, so I am currently relocated at my sister's place, and I will be out of here within a month's time. I completely forgot about doing a length check for the end of January, but I will try to get one up very soon!

I am still using my hair oil and co-washing, taking my vitamins, and deep conditioning. Idk if I shared this before, but I have been using Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner to co-wash, almost done using up the JessieCurl stuff (which I am very sad about!), and using Shea Moisture products to style and deep condition my hair.

I have really been eyeballing the Obia Deep conditioner for a little while now.

If you end up trying the OBIA deep condish, please post results. I’ve been wondering about it myself.

Dlake

A low tree branch yanked me up by the bun today and I lost a good clump of hair trying to get free. :cry3:

Anyway, just checking in! I think my hair is finally starting to retain length again. Hard to tell though. Yesterday was wash day. I’ve been experimenting with layering products for the last couple of weeks. I had gotten lazy and was just using a leave in for a while there. Do you all use the loc method? I got my Melanin Haircare order so I’m now using those products on top of my leave in.
View attachment 443129

Beautiful hair!

Dlake

I will! I only want to try it because I saw this girl on YouTube raving about it, and her hair is SO long! She goes by EarthlyRam on YouTube. :)

Yes! EarthlyRam is who got me on the OBIA curl enhancing custard and I absolutely love it! It’s one of my HGs now. I still have an unopened mielle organics deep condish to go through. It has protein in it but I’ve been looking for one without for balance every other week.

Natural-K

Hey! Thanks for the tag. I'm in. I was looking at photos from last December compared to this Wednesday and I'm not impressed. To be fair last Dec was flat ironed hair compared to Weds blow dry. I'm hoping to get to tailbone length by the end of next Dec.

I'm currently in braids. This is my first time with cornrolls as part of the style. I really like how they turned out but they are really tight in a few places at the front. Two days out and I'm still feeling it. So for the sake of my edges I don't know if I'll do this again or at least I'll insist on them not being too tight.

I plan to keep them in 6-8 weeks. I'll post pics of my hair when I take them out. I'll probably join @faithVA's twist braids and bun challenge as well. As much as I love my look with these braids and the goddess locs I did I think my hair will be better off protected and without extensions and tight braids. Plus I'm very impressed with the you tuber with thigh length twists. We shall see.

I finally straightened and trimmed my hair so I have a good starting point for 2019. My last straightening and trim was in June so she took off a few inches. I'm probably an inch from hip length. I'm considering trimming more often so I can maintain healthy ends and get less trimmed off each time. We'll see. For now I'll wear it straight for a week or two and then up next two-strand twists on natural hair.

I straighten it myself and go to Supercuts for the trims. I don't go to any specific person. I see whoever is available next. Supercuts has worked best for me over the years. The last time I went to an IG stylist Feb 2017 I ended up back at MBL. Besides my siggy pic from 2015 by a stylist who's a member here who did a great job, I hadn't had someone else do my hair since around 2004 and that time I ended up with heat damaged and had to big chop. So needless to say I'm happy to finally be back at my old lengths and will be doing my own hair.

SmilingElephant

Ugh! Time is moving slower than it does in my brain. I am only 2 months out of college, and only 3 months into my regrowth challenge for my hair. I'm trying not to be so hard on myself about everything, but it feels like everything happened 6-7 months ago! It feels like forever! I read a comment somewhere on YouTube that said if everything seems to suddenly be moving in slow motion, that means that you have leveled up!

So, I will just look at it like that, because usually everything happens super fast around me and it's a panic. I checked my length the other day (with the mindset that I have been actively growing my hair back out for 6 months), and was so unimpressed with my progress until I realized that it had only been 3 months (since December) that I decided to challenge myself to grow back to HL. I am still at WL.

I am hoping to be able to get back to HL by June or July, my hair usually grows faster during the Summer and I am still using rice water every other day, so perhaps I will be there before then. It has helped thicken my hair back up and strengthened it. I found my hair has been craving protein, so I have been using more conditioners with light proteins in them.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

View attachment 443129
Aww no....im sorry that tree got you like that! The same thing,happened to me years ago and since then I've been so careful going under branches. I could have turn around and fought the tree, but someone would have put me in a straight jacket. But look at all this length!!....wow. you're OBVIOUSLY doing the right things to your hair. It's lovely.

I do not do the LOC method. I moisturize with curl activator and seal with Blue Magic grease.

Welcome to the challenge.

Chicoro

I finally straightened and trimmed my hair so I have a good starting point for 2019. My last straightening and trim was in June so she took off a few inches. I'm probably an inch from hip length. I'm considering trimming more often so I can maintain healthy ends and get less trimmed off each time. We'll see. For now I'll wear it straight for a week or two and then up next two-strand twists on natural hair.

I straighten it myself and go to Supercuts for the trims. I don't go to any specific person. I see whoever is available next. Supercuts has worked best for me over the years. The last time I went to an IG stylist Feb 2017 I ended up back at MBL. Besides my siggy pic from 2015 by a stylist who's a member here who did a great job, I hadn't had someone else do my hair since around 2004 and that time I ended up with heat damaged and had to big chop. So needless to say I'm happy to finally be back at my old lengths and will be doing my own hair.

BEAUTIFUL! Are you using Shea butter? If so, how long have you been using it?

Did you say this is your starting length?!

Natural-K

BEAUTIFUL! Are you using Shea butter? If so, how long have you been using it?

Did you say this is your starting length?!

Thank you, Chicoro. :blush2:

Yes, I do use Shea butter! I've been using it off and on for over 5 years. I've mixed it with oils based on Nap85's recipes. I love love it for my wearable two-strand twists style. For my wash and gos, buns, and single braids, I alternate using leave-in & shea butter mix, leave-in & oil, and leave-in & gel. I've been lurking in the Shea butter thread and recently purchased some of @ElevatedEnergy recommendations for my next mix. I'll be sure to comment over there when I do.