Hits & Misses: December 2016

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I thought the same thing. I was even thinking about that last night because I could see it is rebranded. I'm really hoping this is an oversight becsuse i have no dupe for this.

Considering NG reformulates quite a bit without notice, you just have to compare your product list to the one on the website, and hope you get the one you want, I'll see what else DB has to say. I'm forgiving to very few brands and the Pumpkin Seed is a must have for me.

She better fix this sheeeeeet. :pyro:

Clear communication is key...
They should have had a notice up on their sites explaining the label mishap during rebranding but reassuring customers the formula hasn't changed. It should have been written on your invoice. Quite an oversight IMO but *shrugs*

Maybe I'm just extra sensitive this morning. I should eat some breakfast...

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Clear communication is key...
They should have had a notice up on their sites explaining the label mishap during rebranding but reassuring customers the formula hasn't changed. It should have been written on your invoice. Quite an oversight IMO but *shrugs*

Maybe I'm just extra sensitive this morning. I should eat some breakfast...

Your stating what I was feeling last night. I've washed my face and touched my hair, so I feel nicer today.

And had breakfast and coffee and about to get a snack.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@rileypak

She sent me an email back. She clearly didn't see the picture I sent. I should have sent it from my computer. She said there is no change in the formula and that the labels will have to be redone.

I'm sincerely hoping it's done ASAP if it really is an error on their part because some people may not complain, just stop purchasing. That actually use to be me.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
New hit: Nordstrom Rack! That store has a ton of beauty and hair products. Many of them are marked down and are unavailable at some places.

Continued hits:
Chroma Riche shampoo
Curl Ideal cleansing conditioner
Masquintense thick
Herbal Essences touchably smooth cream
Xcel21 twice a day
Inversion method (when I remember)

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Miss
SheaMoisture Cosmetics, Hair and Body care lines disappearing from my local CVS and Target. Walgreens and Ulta have a limited selection. I think it's the "Baine Capital" effect.

Kinky-Curly Come Clean - Doesn't work well in hard water. I had to wash 3 times to remove Ayurvedic powders (Amla, Brahmi neem) and oils. Also doesn't remove polyquats and water-soluable (PEG/PG/PPEG) silicones. I'll stick with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, Redken Hair Cleansing Cream and Bobeam bars.

Oyin Handmade logistics - I ordered 2 16 oz Black Cedar Fig lotions and 1 Greg Juice refill 11/28/16. I had to contact Customer Service to check order status. They ran out of lotion during the Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale and will ship when they make more. Today I received 1 Juices & Berries refill.

Bronner Bros Foam Wrap Lotion - I'm in FL; Glycerin reverts my roller and rod sets. Hard to rinse out; see Kinky-Curly Come Clean.

Mane-n-Tail Leave-in Reconstructor - It stinks. It smells like the original version of Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment.

Hit
SheaMoisture Sacha Inci Curl Enhancing Smoothie - This is more of a leave-in conditioner with light hold for me. No white cast or curds in my Low-Po hair. Excellent with the Peace Rose line. I love it for roller and rod sets paired with a light oil.

SheaMoisture Peace Rose conditioner, hairspray & gel - The conditioner replaced AO discontinued Honeysuckle Rose & Rosa Mosqueta moisturizing conditioners. Unlike the AO conditioners I can leave this in without a white cast. It plays well with my gels. The spray has a medium hold and defrizzes my twists; despite the glycerin. The gel replaced discontinued AO B-5 Design Gel and Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel (glycerin-free formula).

Bronner Bros Foam Wrap Lotion - I get nice plump smooth twists with a natural hold. It is easy to reactivate with water.

Oyin Frank Juice + 100% pure food grade Lebanese Rose Water (Cortas brand) - The rose water smooths my hair and keeps my scalp clean and moisturized. It works as a gentle, pleasant scented version of Neem and ACV.

Mane-n-Tail Leave-in Reconstructor - Silicone-free replacement of Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor. Doesn't make my hair hard.

Last edited:

FelaShrine

Miss
Bekura. The same day I ordered the body glee in fig, thanks to @PJaye letting me know about the scents, I sent 2 messages asking for the scent to be changed to the lemon beignet. Never received a response, I figured the madness of the sale got in the way of that but surely they saw the message. Finally got my order tonight and of course the gelee is still Fig Julep.

Bekura is trash. Bad enough they don't have a contact number like a bunch of bootlegged ghetto con artists, the least they could have done was send a message. Trashboxes.

Only pro here is the fig isn't too bad scent wise from the little I sniffed, still very unprofessional

Beany

Hits:

Bekura apple sorghum syrup (original)- great heavy sealer. Despite the ingredients it doesn't weigh my dry hair down (it definitely weighs it down when applied to wet hair). It looks like there has been a recent reformulation with added moringa oil. I have two bottles of the old formula so it'll be awhile before I try the new formula.

NurCreations bamboo serum- give a great sheen to my hair without weighing down my roller set. I highly recommend this for straight or straight-ish (roller set) styles. I think relaxed hair would like this as well. Very light, good ingredients. I apply this to dry hair, cannot comment on use with wet hair. This may have also be reformulated as the ingredients on my bottles are different from what's listed on the website.

Natural Oasis jojoba and hempseed oil balm- very nourishing to my scalp (related: the miss listed below)

Major miss:

Banyan Botanicals healthy hair oil - I don't think my scalp likes the formulation of this oil. The ingredients look fine, but ugh. My scalp felt tight and dry and I have a few little bumps/sores :( from using it every other day. I finished just over half the bottle and I'm seriously thinking about trashing the rest. I don't think I wanna give this to anyone I care about.

Jade Feria

Hit: Sarenzo order coming through today and becoming an instant staple. Made my skin sooooooo soft! I haven't used the creamy oil on my hair yet, but if it works on my hair as well as it does on my skin, DASSIT! And the scents? FAB.U.LOUS! I never want to be without this in my house.

Miss: Jakeala shipping notification since Dec. 11 with no movement. :rolleyes:

naturalyogini

Hits:

Bekura apple sorghum syrup (original)- great heavy sealer. Despite the ingredients it doesn't weigh my dry hair down (it definitely weighs it down when applied to wet hair). It looks like there has been a recent reformulation with added moringa oil. I have two bottles of the old formula so it'll be awhile before I try the new formula.

NurCreations bamboo serum- give a great sheen to my hair without weighing down my roller set. I highly recommend this for straight or straight-ish (roller set) styles. I think relaxed hair would like this as well. Very light, good ingredients. I apply this to dry hair, cannot comment on use with wet hair. This may have also be reformulated as the ingredients on my bottles are different from what's listed on the website.

Natural Oasis jojoba and hempseed oil balm- very nourishing to my scalp (related: the miss listed below)

Major miss:

Banyan Botanicals healthy hair oil - I don't think my scalp likes the formulation of this oil. The ingredients look fine, but ugh. My scalp felt tight and dry and I have a few little bumps/sores :( from using it every other day. I finished just over half the bottle and I'm seriously thinking about trashing the rest. I don't think I wanna give this to anyone I care about.
I too had an allergic reaction to Banyan hair oil. I threw it away.

Smiley79

HIT
  • Wash-N-Rolls
MISS
  • ION Repair Solutions Effective Care Treatment- I will admit that it did make my hair feel stronger however I do not like how dry it left my hair feeling. Fortunately, this was a sample packet that I purchased at Sally's. I won't be purchasing this product. I much prefer the L'Oreal Damage Erase instead.
  • Aloe Vera Juice- Maybe I'm using it wrong, but I didn't notice any difference using it as a refresher/moisture spray for my hair. I mixed it with water and a couple of EO. Maybe I will try it as a final rinse when washing my hair.

Last edited:

naturalyogini

Miss:
Inahsi Cleansing conditioner
Not enough slip for my hair. I had to use a lot of it and my hair felt weird after rinsing it out. Not bad, not dry or hard, just weird. The instructions say that you can use the leave-in after rinsing out. I had to use the mint conditioner to soften my hair before using the leave-in.

Neither hit nor miss:
Inahsi curling cream
This is a thick white cream. Mine had beads of shea butter (I assume) in it. I just think it needs better whipping. This works better for me as a twisting cream on damp almost dry hair. On wet hair, I don't get moisture retention. Sealing with a butter makes my hair hard. This product is not slippy enough. My hair does dry soft IF applied on almost dry hair.

Miss:
Inahsi whipped butter.
Ok so I have gotten this product 3 times and each time it looked different. This last jar is definitely a butter and not a butter cream like previous jars. My hair does not like this version. But it can double as a body butter and I will use it that way.

Hit:
Inahsi Clarifying shampoo.
This cleans without stripping and my hair felt soft after using it. As far as shampoos go this is a keeper.

All in all my favorite products from this line are the leave-in, the Mint conditioner and the mint moisturizing shampoo. I also have the deep conditioner and my hair isn't crazy about it. I don't get any softness after rinsing it out. I think when I get some Jakeala honey mask, I will mix it with the dc OR I just may mix it with honey in a bowl to see if I can up the moisture factor.
Update. I used the cleansing conditioner again and not bad. It leaves my hair feeling clean. I added honey and olive oil to the DC in a separate jar and voila! Success! I also added honey to the hair whip in a separate jar. Not such a good idea. At least the DC is now usable.