July 2016: Hits & Misses

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
@rileypak I think you've used rhassoul clay. Is it the same as Moroccan Red Clay?

Sorry sis, I haven't tried rhassoul clay yet (only calcium bentonite). But I think rhassoul is usually beige or gray to grayish pink from what I've read about it. I don't think it's red or normally it's not red. That sounds like a different mineral makeup from what rhassoul is typically described as but I'm not familiar enough with it so I don't want to steer you wrong.
Maybe check the MHM thread? I think I've seen the ladies discuss this over there before. @faithVA can you possibly help?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Sorry sis, I haven't tried rhassoul clay yet (only calcium bentonite). But I think rhassoul is usually beige or gray to grayish pink from what I've read about it. I don't think it's red or normally it's not red. That sounds like a different mineral makeup from what rhassoul is typically described as but I'm not familiar enough with it so I don't want to steer you wrong.
Maybe check the MHM thread? I think I've seen the ladies discuss this over there before. @faithVA can you possibly help?

Your a god send. Too bad I ordered the rhassoul but I have red clay to at least compare.

GGsKin

Your a god send. Too bad I ordered the rhassoul but I have red clay to at least compare.

The Moroccan red clay is different from rhassoul/ ghassoul clay. Rhassoul is a taupe-ish colour. The Moroccan is more orange/red and can stain. I can't remember who exactly, but a poster clarified the difference for me with an interesting link (possibly in the MHM thread but I can't remember).

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
The Moroccan red clay is different from rhassoul/ ghassoul clay. Rhassoul is a taupe-ish colour. The Moroccan is more orange/red and can stain. I can't remember who exactly, but a poster clarified the difference for me with an interesting link (possibly in the MHM thread but I can't remember).
And that's what I don't want. A stain. And I don't feel like messing with bentonite clay

Aggie

MISS:

I'm discarding the CRN Coconut Water Style Setter. My hair neither my face likes the coconut in it :nono:. This is not a repurchase item because it gives me a slight rash all over my forehead when my hair touches my face.

I remember As I Am products did the same thing to me - just too much coconut.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:
I used Bentonite Clay by mixing with a little honey and enough water to get a smooth, thick mixture. Mine was a bit clumpy, but didn't effect results. I used about a 8oz mixture in all.

Directions I've read said to leave in for 15 minutes, but I applied in sections (taking about 10-15 minutes) and then left on for about 10 minutes. I basically applied from root to tip in 8 sections (I should have did 18), did not smooth on, but tried to make sure smaller sections received love too.

Once washing out, I noticed an immediate difference. This had a light clarifying feel, but not squeaky clean. I then applied Silk Dreams Shea What! Deux and when I finger detangled, it was just too easy. My hair even conditioned faster. After I was done, just applied flax seed oil.

We will see how t turns out tomorrow. Waiting for my Rhassoul (Ghassoul) Clay in the mail as its not clarifying, mostly moisturizing, and if I have success, I will shift to clay washing only.

And I kept my receipt so that DevaCurl 1L bottle might be rejoining the shelves of Ulta.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:
Clay washing. I'm in like so far.

Silk Dreams Shea What! Deux. After the clay wash, it only needed 10 minutes to absorb. I only have 1 more jar before I have to take a chance and order the new formula.

Flax Seed Gel. My sister gave me this. It's in my fridge. My hair is a little hard, but you can still feel that it's moisturized.

Miss:
A jar of SD SWD sitting in my shower. Smelled rancid. It was open and used though.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit:

Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker!!! The smell, the hold, the light feeling of my wash and wear! Yaaaaay!

I used Oyin Hair Dew as my moisturizer/leave-in underneath. The Dew and Curl Maker clashed in smells for a few minutes. But now I hardly smell anything. Love this pairing!!!! I wasn't even supposed to wash today. I just got antsy to try the Curl Maker.

Hit:
Alternating between clay washing and water-only washing . . . and NOT shampooing unless on very, very, very rare occasion (if scalp itchy). This is doing WONDERS for maintenance of my hair's moisture-protein balance.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:

Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker!!! The smell, the hold, the light feeling of my wash and wear! Yaaaaay!

I used Oyin Hair Dew as my moisturizer/leave-in underneath. The Dew and Curl Maker clashed in smells for a few minutes. But now I hardly smell anything. Love this pairing!!!! I wasn't even supposed to wash today. I just got antsy to try the Curl Maker.

Hit:
Alternating between clay washing and water-only washing . . . and NOT shampooing unless on very, very, very rare occasion (if scalp itchy). This is doing WONDERS for maintenance of my hair's moisture-protein balance.

:bighug:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Saludable84
This brand is known to have a short self life.

I know. This jar has been in my shower opened for months. I just forgot about it and when I smelled it, it still had the same smell but there was something off about it so I tossed it. The unopened jar I've had for 2 years now was completely fine. It was also kept in a cool, dark and dry place. :look:

Aggie

HIT:

SSI Honey Butter Cream Moisturizer. I tried again tonight with no sealant and :yep: my hair likes it a lot.

MISS:

Still no word from Hydroquench Systems about my order. It is still on the site as Completed but not yet shipped. I will not be purchasing from her again. This is pretty awful to have customers waiting a year and a century for their products :nono:.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Bibliophile
Yup. Them too.:eek:

But it's all my fault.:look:

That's what I get for making Random/Impulse Purchases. Both of them got messed up in the process.:badidea:

This one "allegedly" moved, went on vacation and was traveling for work.:lol:...:ohwell:

I am still missing x1 item from 4th July. And I consider it a Staple/HG, so I am trying to be patient with this vendor. She did offer to refund my Shipping once it finally ships.

I checked with her last night and she is still waiting on something. This has never happened before. Her turn around time has always been on point.

But those other two.....:angry2:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@CeeLex33 @KinksAndInk @Bibliophile
I was telling the Ladies in U1B1 that my Knot in My Fro Joe didn't smell anything like Coffee.

Come to find out it was Carrot Coconut Conditioning Milk (or something like that), something I didn't even order.

So, not only was it a month late, it was the wrong item. Instead of x2 Knot in My Fro Joe, I only received x1.

That was probably the hold-up, she didn't have it. Who knows?

CeeLex33

Happy Healthy Hair!
I was telling the Ladies in U1B1 that my Knot in My Fro Joe didn't smell anything like Coffee.

Come to find out it was Carrot Coconut Conditioning Milk (or something like that), something I didn't even order.

So, not only was it a month late, it was the wrong item. Instead of x2 Knot in My Fro Joe, I only received x1.

:mad::mad::mad: I'm so sorry that you had this terrible experience. Can you still go ahead with the dispute or will you wait?

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper

Naw. You need 12 refunds for all that nonsense. She's a hot mess. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

Aggie

Well it's amazing how when I am protective styling I barely come in here lol...buuuuut:
Hit: APB Refresher Spray
Soft, silky braids
HIT:

Listen.To.Me. Ladies:

Those Naturelle Grow Marshmallow and Slippery Elm Deep Conditioners are the bomb.com. :drool: I have never had slip from a conditioner like I had with those yesterday. I used the protein one first (which in my opinion was slightly better) and followed it up with the protein free one.

While I loved them both, I think the protein one is going back on my re-purchase list:spinning:. I really wished they lasted longer than 6 months though. I will be pulling out the NG Mango and Coconut one this weekend just to see how well it performs in comparison.

@NaturallyATLPCH

Do you use any other these?

Last edited:

Aggie

Miss: coloring my hair with Demi permanent dye

My ends feel like trash. I hate the feeling of processed hair.
Did you use shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair? I use Demis and they work well on my hair. Yes they do tend to leave the hair feeling a tiny bit parched but the right conditioner restores the hair to normalcy.

I tend to add a quick warm oil rinse on top of my conditioner as I'm about to wash it out to soften my hair.