Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Lynnerie

bablou00 said:
Dont give in believe me there were days when i wanted to get the scissors out and just chop it off because I thought I was losing too much hair to detangling and it was looking a hot mess...haha! But to my surprise my hair is a lot thicker and its grown. There is light on the other side of the tunnel. Just pray to the Hair Gods to get you there.

Thanks bablou00, I'm just going to start wearing my hair up too, cause trying to maintain my rollerset isn't looking too cute. :ohwell: Hang in there we can do it !!!!

prettypuff1

cluelessaka said:
Thanks bablou00, I'm just going to start wearing my hair up too, cause trying to maintain my rollerset isn't looking too cute. :ohwell: Hang in there we can do it !!!!
My roller sets arent looking so hot either any more. I think i am about to self weave. i would always see a lot of growth from sews and they didnt damage my hair. it was the gule for the closure in the front that was killer.

freshlikemoi

I enjoyed this thread. B/c I am on my 9th week and I wanted to get a relaxer this week. But I might actually take the plunge and go for 12 and when I have to go out just blow out and flat iron my roots and curl. Which in my opinion would be much better than getting a relaxer at this point.

Lilpaw

Hi Ladies,
I think I need to join ya. I am 8 weeks into my first 12 week relaxer stretch and it's getting a it scary.

I am no-coning so I can't use Stay Soft Fro. I'm trying to minimize heat use so I can't use a flat iron. I think too much protien was making my hair break so I'm afraid to do protein treatments for my line of demarcation. My rollersets now look ridiculous so I've been wearing a bun for the last 2 weeks:ohwell:.

What I am doing for my NG is using Pro-Line Comb Thru (no silicone) instead of Stay Soft Fro and it feels pretty nice. I am moisturizing day and night to try and stop and/or circumvent the breakage. I just hope that I'm not defeating my purpose by stretching. I really want the healthy roots and to start textlaxing maybe but not at the expense of major breakage.

Ah well, such is the price of beauty I suppose. :spinning:

seraphinelle

Thank goodness I found this thread.
I'm 4 weeks into a 12 (or 16) week stretch.
I've been bunning for the past 2 weeks, and I have alot of new growth, I should take a picture to add them.

But I'm determined. I do co washes every other day, so that I can comb through it.

leleepop

I am transitioning, and one thing that has helping me is prepoo's. Detangling in sections and cowashes. I also deep condition once a week and moisturize daily.hth

prettypuff1

I am dc once a week.. And there is my no heat rule. I had a dream last night that i was going to relax then stopped just shy of getting it done

MamaBraidedIt

13 weeks post and I had to kick airdrying out my regimen. It just wasn't working on my my 4b, stretched hair.

However, I'm thinking about giving it one more chance ...:ohwell: ...someone told me the key to airdrying is making sure the hair is completely toweldried and you must SATURATE your hair with products to prevent breakage, frizz???????????...but I don't wanna put too much stuff in my hair:ohwell:

Any stretchers still airdry?:ohwell:

I plan to stretch until June 4.

Last edited:

ashiah

leleepop said:
I am transitioning, and one thing that has helping me is prepoo's. Detangling in sections and cowashes. I also deep condition once a week and moisturize daily.hth
This is so true. I prefer this to CO washes. I'm currently 18 weeks post and I mostly pre-poo and then detangle.

Naphy

Okay, so after reading all of your posts I decide to jump into the strecth bandwagon ! It would be a hard time for me since I never stretched more than 10 weeks (maybe 12 weeks when I was in high school). My goal is to keep my head away from relaxer for 18 weeks ! (for my birthday on May 31st)
I think strechting is the better way to preserve my hair from all that chemical I am currently doing on it. I hope it will thicken up my hair a little too. Too thin...
S-curl and braids will be my best friends !

RosesBlack

MamaBraidedIt said:
13 weeks post and I had to kick airdrying out my regimen. It just wasn't working on my my 4b, stretched hair.

However, I'm thinking about giving it one more chance ...:ohwell: ...someone told me the key to airdrying is making sure the hair is completely toweldried and you must SATURATE your hair with products to prevent breakage, frizz???????????...but I don't wanna put too much stuff in my hair:ohwell:

I plan to stretch until June 4.

I still airdry. I make sure that I moisturize/oil while my hair is damp and not still wet. Then I bun and wrap a scarf around my head. That usually works for bunning for a few days then I take down my bun, detangle moisturize as needed.

HTH

I am going to try and do a 6 month stretch. I had my last relaxer in Jan. So I will get another relaxer in June nust in time for my b-day. I just tried bantu knots last night and I really liked them. But I think that it will be easier to do the C & G Method starting next week.

AmyInAtl

I am on wk 11.
Nothing works. So I just,
slather Suave -Tropical Coconuts CON mixed with Jojoba Oil, onto dry hair.
It softens everything up. I am able to comb through everything w/o losing hair.
I then put it in a bun, and go. It drys over the course of the day. I'll do this everyday, no rinsing, tie it up at night.
By the 3rd day, I rinse in the shower with more CON/Oil mixture, /air dry, rpt process.
I do a good protein Tx, once a week, letting hair dry hard, rinse and air dry.
Then rpt oil/con routine on dry hair, for another 3 days.
Goal-17 weeks.

Last edited:

Jackie

Where were y'all a month ago?!? I broke down after stretching for 9 weeks and was so disappointed in myself. The relaxer came out great and everything, but I wanted to stretch for 14 weeks and I had no accountability. Now I'm 4 weeks post, and I'll definitely be looking to you guys for support when I get the itch to relax again.

bablou00

Jackie said:
Where were y'all a month ago?!? I broke down after stretching for 9 weeks and was so disappointed in myself. The relaxer came out great and everything, but I wanted to stretch for 14 weeks and I had no accountability. Now I'm 4 weeks post, and I'll definitely be looking to you guys for support when I get the itch to relax again.

Haha isnt that right on where this post was??? Dont beat yourself up girl 9 weeks is still good. Some girls at my job wouldnt dare going past 4-6 so 9 is good. Plus some of the girls on here w/ beautiful hair relax at 8 to 10 wks. We will get eachother thru this. You have to start of by adding on weeks. I went from 11 wks to 14 now I really want to try 24. Im just afraid of all the tangling and matting plus it will be summer time:eek: . But the outcome is so worth it. That will put me at full armpit length maybe a little below. My hair obviously grows slow but Im not sweating it...its growing:lol:

SpiritJunkie

I did my first 14 week stretch with the help of weave and that worked for me. My hair really got thicker.

I'm going to try this method again. The key for me was frequent washing and moisture for the hair underneath.

great thread.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
MamaBraidedIt said:

Yep! The only time I don't airdry is when I do wet roller sets. I just hate sitting under the dryer for such a long time. I usually just loosely bun my hair, cover it with a satin wrap, and go to bed. When I wake up, I just S-Curl it to death,:lol: baggy, phony pony, and off to work.

On days off, I don't do anything to my hair. I don't even take off my satin wrap I slept in so I can have whole days without manipulation. :)

seraphinelle

This thread is very helpful.

Starting week 5 of my stretch.. I remember when I use to relax after a month.. Man oh man!

If I make it to 8, I'll be proud of myself.

Anytime over that.. I'm a balla, HOLLA

SweetCaramel1

i'm at week 14 and staying busy is the key for me. i'm gone all day and when i'm at home i'm too tired to fuss with my hair.

i'm gonna try to go until sometime in may. i forget who suggested it but paul mitchell super skinny made my hair really soft. after that i load it up with leave in conditioner, roll or wrap and ignore it for two weeks (besides moisturizing the ends every few days). so far it's working my hair is alot thicker and not shedding as much as usual :)

prettypuff1

i am airdrying now.I dont do any heat anymore because i am sure that is what kept me stuck at SL.... I airdry before i rollerset, then i let the rest of it dry while in rollers. I am either gonna go to bunning or self installed weaves..... I dont know but i had a dream i almost relaxed, then i freaked out.... Then the next thing i had very long hair...

prettypuff1

i am airdrying now.I dont do any heat anymore because i am sure that is what kept me stuck at SL.... I airdry before i rollerset, then i let the rest of it dry while in rollers. I am either gonna go to bunning or self installed weaves..... I dont know but i had a dream i almost relaxed, then i freaked out.... Then the next thing i had very long hair...

amwcah

Help! I have a little bit of breakage and some shedding. What should I do to stop it? I moisturize twice per day with ORS Carrot Oil and seal with Alma and JBCO. I'm thinking maybe a ApHogee or Henna treatment or is this a NO-NO!

sowhut

SophiaRose said:
I am on wk 11.
Nothing works. So I just,
slather Suave -Tropical Coconuts CON mixed with Jojoba Oil, onto dry hair.
It softens everything up. I am able to comb through everything w/o losing hair.
I then put it in a bun, and go. It drys over the course of the day. I'll do this everyday, no rinsing, tie it up at night.
By the 3rd day, I rinse in the shower with more CON/Oil mixture, /air dry, rpt process.
I do a good protein Tx, once a week, letting hair dry hard, rinse and air dry.
Then rpt oil/con routine on dry hair, for another 3 days.
Goal-17 weeks.

I slather suave tropical coconut con all up and through my newgrowth:lol: But instead of jojoba i use vatika oil. Its working good enough. im just so sick of my bun. (BTW im 14 weeks post.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
The worst part of stretching for me is looking at all these lovely gals in D.C. swanging their beautiful, straight hair. Then, getting crap [sorry for the cussin'] from people who want me to wear my hair down. So the worse part is just the wait and the anxiety. But taking care of the hair is easier than I thought.

BTW, I finally relax in two weeks. I'm 14 weeks post!

Using MSM, BT, drinking tons of water, exercise and eating well has really helped me. Of course, bunning helps!!!

Happy Stretching, Much Growth!

Last edited:

Cleve_gryl

I'm at 9 weeks right now, and its not all that bad for me. I think all the moisture I've added to my reg and DCing twice a week has helped ALOT. I do notice a ton of hair in the shower after washing though. I washed and rollerset on Saturday, then Sunday when I left the house it was raining. My hair was HUGE :eek: I wanted to run home and flat iron the heck out of it!! LOL I just oiled it up real good with some vatika and wrapped it up. It laid down pretty well.

I'm streching to 12 weeks...but honestly I could go to 14 :confused:

JLove74

I'm 5 months today and it seems like detanging is a breeze now. Maybe because I've got a little routine going - FIANLLY:)

tnorenberg

Well, I am currently 17 wks post. I didn't really have a stretching goal, but the longer I go I get more curious to see if I can go just a little longer. My best friends are co-washing and Pantene's Extra Liso combing creme. I co wash, put in the combing creme and my comb glides thru the NG like butter. I put in my BT oil & airdry w/ it pulled back in a ponytail. A simple routinue that works. And I DC once a week.