Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Call me skeptical, but I am on the fence about these plates. I really doubt that there were would he enough tension to keep my tightly coiled hair from curling. I watched the video and even the type four model had very loose, silky hair in my opinion.

I see how they could make so many styles so easy, but can one clip and the root and one clip at the end really hold hair in place enough? I just feel like ny hair would come out with straight roots, an oddly wavy middle part and then bushy ends.

Call me skeptical, but I am on the fence about these plates. I really doubt that there were would he enough tension to keep my tightly coiled hair from curling. I watched the video and even the type four model had very loose, silky hair in my opinion.

I see how they could make so many styles so easy, but can one clip and the root and one clip at the end really hold hair in place enough? I just feel like ny hair would come out with straight roots, an oddly wavy middle part and then bushy ends.

I understand where you're coming from cause my natural hair is kinky/ tightly coiled, but I stretch for long periods of times on occasions. I just purchased some in the hopes of stretching my hair between touch ups. Even roller setting doesn't straighten my roots entirely, so this will certainly be a true test to see if the plates will aid in in that. I figured it's worth a try.

Last edited:
toaster I was thinking the same thing! I'm getting this set: The Head Turner Pack for Long Hair: 24 Long Plates, 20 Medium Plates, 12 Small Plates. Cost $60 I can't wait to play around with these plates in conjunction with my rollers. I'm thinking mohawk style...1 plate to stretch my roots and the rest of the hair on a roller. (Using a metal clip to clip the roller to the plate) It seems like it would do a great job of stretching the roots out!

I lied! lol I got the PJ long hair pack: 24 medium plates and 12 small plates for $25 When I went to purchase them today, I didn't see the need to get so many when I'll just use them for my roots.

Call me skeptical, but I am on the fence about these plates. I really doubt that there were would he enough tension to keep my tightly coiled hair from curling. I watched the video and even the type four model had very loose, silky hair in my opinion. I see how they could make so many styles so easy, but can one clip and the root and one clip at the end really hold hair in place enough? I just feel like ny hair would come out with straight roots, an oddly wavy middle part and then bushy ends.

I guess it's all about knowing what your hair can do. My hair can get dang near flat iron straight with a simple blow out so I have high hopes for them. I can see how a kinkier hair texture would be doubtful though so I understand completely where you are coming from :)

I may try the plates too. I like the idea of plates for the roots and rollers for the length. It would kind of be like a ponytail set, but it seems like the roots would be even straighter.

I may try the plates too. I like the idea of plates for the roots and rollers for the length. It would kind of be like a ponytail set, but it seems like the roots would be even straighter.

That is exactly what I was thinking. My problem is only the roots, the rest is fine once the indirect heat hits it.

wait...so I leave LHCF for ONE day and already there's been a breakthrough in the black hair community?? y'all have me googling the CWK plates like a madwoman lolll :lachen:

I want to try them too!! post pics of your results!!

wait...so I leave LHCF for ONE day and already there's been a breakthrough in the black hair community?? y'all have me googling the CWK plates like a madwoman lolll :lachen: I want to try them too!! post pics of your results!!

I don't think they are going to be shipped out until August...and that's only if she reaches her minimum goal of $8000. It's a thread floating around with the link to the plates.

lulu97
oooh okay. this is so cool! i just checked out her kickstarter!
it's always so inspiring to see us (black women) living out our dreams and becoming entrepreneurs! definitely going to support her next paycheck :)

plus i love trying new things, and i'm a pj when it comes to my hair lol

Rollers are out. Flexi rods are in. How are you ladies and your hair doing?

I did a pull test and realized I am in fact short. I thought I was a bsl and 17 inches. Maybe scrapping mbl, but it turns put waist lengeth is only 19 inches on me because I'm 5'1 .

ForumRunner_20140521_205210.jpg

ForumRunner_20140521_205236.jpg

ForumRunner_20140521_205325.jpg

Sitting under the dryer now with a flexirod set on my TWA

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
so this came out super cute....the parts that i did properly. i got realllllly lazy and my friends came over halfway through so those parts look terrible. :look: I'm bunning today, but I'm going to try again later for when i go out tonight. it's a cute curly fro type of look and left my hair stretched and soft.

so this came out super cute....the parts that i did properly. i got realllllly lazy and my friends came over halfway through so those parts look terrible. :look: I'm bunning today, but I'm going to try again later for when i go out tonight. it's a cute curly fro type of look and left my hair stretched and soft.

Glad you like it...in theroy at least. That is the thing about setting. You really gotta commit. I have had a lot of lazy, sloppy sets. But at least your hair is stretched and soft!

Under the dryer for the first time in 2 weeks! Loved washing my hair today, won't be going 2 weeks again unless I have to.

Does anybody use edge control on their sets? I usually bun and wear a headband, or embrace the messy bun look, but I need a more professional look for the next 8 weeks and I want my bun to be more sleek. Since I obviously don't want to flat iron my roots I bought some cheap edge control (Got2Be) from Walmart. Should I apply it in the morning after I moisturize/seal? Do I need to apply it every day? Will I get gross build up by Friday morning??

Under the dryer for the first time in 2 weeks! Loved washing my hair today, won't be going 2 weeks again unless I have to.

Does anybody use edge control on their sets? I usually bun and wear a headband, or embrace the messy bun look, but I need a more professional look for the next 8 weeks and I want my bun to be more sleek. Since I obviously don't want to flat iron my roots I bought some cheap edge control (Got2Be) from Walmart. Should I apply it in the morning after I moisturize/seal? Do I need to apply it every day? Will I get gross build up by Friday morning??

I used to use the Curls passion fruit edge control when I wanted that slick, no fly away look. I don't M&S my roots, so I have no advice about that. However I did apply it before bed or whenever I had like 20 or so mins to wear a scarf. The scarf really gives hair the time and pressure to lay down.

Mine would last 2 maybe 3 days before i needed to reapply.

I need something with better hold for my sets. I used It's a 10 on one side and It's a 10 plus Carol's Daughter Blow Dry cream on the other side to set my hair on Curlformers. The Its a 10 side didn't set really. There was a little curl, but mainly just poof. The carol's daughter side had more curl, but that was gone after like an hour...sigh. On the upside, both sides are really soft. I would take a picture, but all that is left is a curly fro.

Thankfully, my real goal for this set was a trim.

I need something with better hold for my sets. I used It's a 10 on one side and It's a 10 plus Carol's Daughter Blow Dry cream on the other side to set my hair on Curlformers. The Its a 10 side didn't set really. There was a little curl, but mainly just poof. The carol's daughter side had more curl, but that was gone after like an hour...sigh. On the upside, both sides are really soft. I would take a picture, but all that is left is a curly fro. Thankfully, my real goal for this set was a trim.

Can you use serums for frizz control?

I dont have much experience with foam as I could never get just the right amount. But I know I don't like the jane Carter foam, but had fewer issues with the Nubian Heritage foam.

Back