Shea Growth and Retention Regimen 2015

imaginary

Melted my butter and added more castor oil so it'd be softer. Still haven't mixed it though because I'm committing to this laziness :look:.

Leo24Rule

Since I've been wearing 2 pig tails as a protective hairstyle I haven't applied my daily Shea Butter mix to the hair shaft, but only to my edges and roots. Meanwhile, my ends are wrapped in saran wrap. Surprisingly, this protective style has lasted me 4 days and hopefully 2 more to go before wash day.

PlainJane

Hmm I'm interested in the high quality shea butter mentioned above. I'm going to use shea butter to seal today during wash day. I think it may work better for me.

LivingInPeace

Added melted shea butter to some Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque for my deep conditioner and putting on my Hot Head.

imaginary

Moisturized with SM curl and shine conditioner and my Shea butter and castor oil mix. My twists are happy.

Leo24Rule

Even though I've somewhat neglected my hair this past week by not putting my Shea Butter on it daily; I did, however, kept it in a protective hairstyle all week. My hair has yet to be washed and doesn't look too bad. So, 2 more days 'til school is out for work & Grad School. Looks like Friday is hair day.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I don't have anything exciting to report, say ole routine moisturize my hair and add my shea mixture to the end.

imaginary

I was going to wash my hair this weekend, but things are way too hectic right now. So I'm alternating between wetting my twists and sealing with shea utter and using the SM curl and shine conditioner and sealing with shea butter. Same old same old.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I've been experiencing breakage. I'm trying to determine whether it's from protein overload or raw Shea butter. I'm going to take a break from the raw Shea until I figure something out.

I'm going to clarify and deep condition tonight.

Last edited:

ResultsMayVary

I'm totally in! My newly found regimen uses shea butter for sealing. But does anyone know where I can find decently priced cold pressed organic shea butter? I am currently using Terressentials' but I can only get 4oz for $16 and I go through that pretty quickly :perplexed

Leo24Rule

Washed my hair yesterday, but didn't apply my Shea Butter mix yet. I need to make a new batch which I think I'm going to use a new concoction.

toaster

Still sealing with whipped shea butter every night and every wash day. My hair is very soft and moisturized and I think the shea butter has something to do with it.

Pennefeather

I've been experiencing breakage. I'm trying to determine whether it's from protein overload or raw Shea butter. I'm going to take a break from the raw Shea until I figure something out.

I'm going to clarify and deep condition tonight.

Bunnyhaslonghair,

I have been having breakage for a while now as well. I welcomed this challenge because I felt that the shea would help protect my hair. However, I continued to have problems. I thought that it was heavy shedding until a week ago, when I realized that I was seeing short broken hairs in the sink.

I moisturize and seal twice a day , so my hair should be moisturized at all time, but it was still feeling dry and snapping. So, i decided to cut back on my protein by discontinuing using Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructorizing spray. I was only using the spray once a week, so when I washed my hair Saturday, I didn't use it. The results were almost instantaneous. My breakage has stopped. My hair feels better- softer, moister, there is less snapping.

All of this is to say that protein may be the problem. If you can easily discontinue a protein product, I would recommend that to see if it does make a difference.

Meantime, I'm continuing to use Shea Moisture JBC leave in.

Last edited:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Pennefeather, I have been doing some reading and I'm hoping the protein in my reggie is the problem. I can fix that. Tonight I went to Sally's and bought some products with little to no identifying protein ingredients. The thing is, I didn't think I was using strong proteins in my reggie in the first place which leads me to question the Shea butter. I did recently do an aphogee 2 two step. So maybe that along with moisturizing with mild proteins daily pushed me over the edge. I'm crossing my fingers hoping these product changes stop my breakage.

imaginary

I washed my hair a few days ago and did a henna treatment as well. My hair was little dry after, but I layered my DC on top of shea butter (and a bit of mango butter) which brought back the softness. Really enjoy doing my DCs this way and will continue on in the future.

After applying my leave-ins, I twisted my hair up with my shea butter mix, which now includes both castor and olive oils. My hair is very happy.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Washed my hair yesterday, applied shea butter mixture heavily to my ends. I don't mind the weight on my hair since my hair is in a bun.

greenandchic

After washing and DCing last night I set my hair and sealed my ends with my shea butter mix (have to whip a new batch). I will be bunning my hair during this cold spell.