Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

sunshinebeautiful

Here's where I'm starting. This was after my 2nd shampoo, condition, and style. I have some curl formation, frizz, and I am in desperate need of a good cut to give me hair better shape

ETA: Never mind, my pics won't upload! :(

ETAA: Haha! Now the pics are uploaded.

Attachments

• rsz_img_1891.png
    rsz_img_1891.png
    306 KB · Views: 36
  • rsz_img_1890.png
    rsz_img_1890.png
    424 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

faithVA

Hmm? A different username on here? I've been on LHCF forever, but I'm also one of those folks who rarely comes to the hair side of this forum lol.
Ok that makes sense. It said long time member and I've been here over 10 years. I was like who is this and why don't I recognize the user name. I'm sure we crossed path before and I'm just now noticing your user name.

sunshinebeautiful

Ok that makes sense. It said long time member and I've been here over 10 years. I was like who is this and why don't I recognize the user name. I'm sure we crossed path before and I'm just now noticing your user name.

lol yeah I think I first joined LHCF in 2006, maybe? Lawd that was a long time ago.

I had a relaxer back then. I would bop between the Hair and OT/ET forums and used to post super regularly, but in more recent years, not as much. A lot of the regulars I used to hang with have moved on by now.

I'm still here, same screen name, but I don't post as often as I used to back in the day, and I don't even remember the last time I've posted in the actual hair forum.

toaster

I scrolled wayyyy back to my posts in 2014 and now I want to roller set my hair :look:

My hair is a little longer (in the back, probably shorter in the front) than it was around that time and my sets were so cute!

I’ll keep up my wash and go’s, but it was a nice trip down memory lane.

I was moisturizing my ends every day!

GettingKinky

Welcome @sunshinebeautiful

I’ve been doing WnG since 2017, but I got serious about them 2019. After I joined the digital salon, my products and technique got much better and now I feel like I’m finally on autopilot.
Even though I’m on autopilot I’m still searching for the holy grail product that will give me a one product WnG that will last 4-7 days, is botanically based, and black owned.

Keep practicing and I’m sure you will get the results you want.

toaster

Did I just order some entwine butter creme hydrator like I used almost a decade ago?

Yes.

Do I have any idea how to incorporate it into my regimen? Is it 30 day hair detox approved?

No.

It didn’t revert my rollersets, so I’m thinking I could lightly scrunch it into my wash and go’s and it shouldn’t frizz them too badly?

faithVA

I was supposed to CCS today but I can tell that isn't going to happen. I'm thinking I will rinse and slick it back again tomorrow. Maybe I will CCS Wednesday or Thursday since I have to leave the house Friday. Or not. Since I will probably have a cap on Friday, it still may not happen :lol:

toaster

I was supposed to CCS today but I can tell that isn't going to happen. I'm thinking I will rinse and slick it back again tomorrow. Maybe I will CCS Wednesday or Thursday since I have to leave the house Friday. Or not. Since I will probably have a cap on Friday, it still may not happen :lol:
I love your approach. You water your hair but you’re not bothered. Teach us your ways!

toaster

@toaster I know you didn’t like your last cut, but on the plus side it looks very full.
Thanks! It still makes me very mad, but I’m hoping as the months go by and my hair grows, I’ll hate it less.

I love the way layers look on other people, but I definitely prefer to have my hair the same length all around.

final wash day hair:

Attachments

• 54ABEBEE-C026-4868-839E-97F571BC2089.jpeg
    54ABEBEE-C026-4868-839E-97F571BC2089.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

faithVA

I love your approach. You water your hair but you’re not bothered. Teach us your ways!

You definitely don't want my ways :lol: I'm hoping when it gets longer I will be more motivated. I think this crazy cut threw me off my game. Now styling it just doesn't not give me warm fuzzies. I feel like I'm doing all this work for my head to be mediocre. But I'm going to blame it on the weather :yep: I'm thinking the warm weather will definitely do it because I will be out of the house more often.

bubbles12345

Hello all. I never thought I would join this thread with my type 4 hair but here I am.

I've been watching this thread for months now. No other method has worked for me so far (I've been natural for 10+ years now so I figure why not give this a try. It seems promising. )

My struggles have always been dryness and breakage. :(

I currently have a tapered twa (about 2-4 inches). Cut my hair last year to start over yet again.

I'm 4c (I know, I shouldn't use that term.) Lol ..so tight spring pen coils, mostly fine strands, low porosity, high density and coarse cottony texture.

I have been following Loulou and the BCG girls. I have been doing the detox since December...so no oils/butters for two months. I have the Wash your damn hair book. Follow many other tightly curly gurus on social media.

I have innersence for my shampoo/conditioner, UFD for my gel, and sometimes I top with ICH. Sometimes the mousse Def. Sometimes nothing. I wash 2x week. I alternate between the all purpose and moisturizing shampoo. Sometimes I air dry and sometimes I use my difuser. I clarified early January with kinky curly come clean. I trimmed in December.

I wrote all this to say...I still struggle with dryness even though I apply everything on soaking wet hair and emulsify emulsify. Anyone who struggled with dryness...how long did it take for this method to work for you?

I wanted to ask the As about dryness, but they always have an attitude when someone asks about dryness on their IG live. I've been refreshing my hair daily with a water spray because I'm worried about breakage from it being so dry and brittle. (Yes I drink water, exercise, got my blood checked, take vitamins, sleep. :) )

I know some say it can take 3-6 months to see changes and I'm about to start month 3 and my hair is still crispy feeling after day 1 of my wash and go. (I also struggle with coil definition but that's another topic lol. I do see some coils on the shorter parts of my hair sometimes. The longer parts of my hair have some slight definition on day 1 but fro up by day 2 mostly).

I know I have coarse hair, but I thought my hair would still feel softer after loading my hair up with water, cleaning it, and using a botanical gel.

I'm seeing a curly stylist soon and hope she can help me with my technique because I'm doing something wrong. I thought after 2 months of this method I would see some improved changes.

Sorry this is so long. Geez lol

Last edited:

toaster

Welcome @bubbles12345 !! So happy to have you! You’re starting from a great place with the detox and following the A’s and Lou Lou.

I personally haven’t dealt much with dryness, but I have a few thoughts? I know others will chime in.

First, I would stop using ICH and only do wash and go’s with UFD. The topper is to solve a problem, and right now with dryness being your problem, I don’t think another gel is going to help.

Second, I would stop refreshing. Adding water (moisture) but not topping it with anything will just lead to dehydration.

I would maybe try to do a quick wash 3/4 times a week, style with UFD and diffuse dry. It shouldn’t add much time to your daily routine, but I think your hair is just asking for more water.

Finally, it sounds like you’re doing everything you should be doing. Are you sure your hair doesn’t just naturally feel “dry”? Is it possible that you’re upping your moisture over time and you’re just expecting your hair to feel soft and it’s not soft?

Partnering with a stylist will definitely help! They have touched hundreds of heads of hair and I’ve only touched my own, but don’t get discouraged! We are all here to help, and you’re definitely on the right path.

Sometimes it just takes a little longer.

bubbles12345

Aww thanks so much for the welcome. Yea, I think I will hold off of the ICH for now... though I used just UFD a few times with the same results. I'm also gonna use the moisturizing shampoo more than the all purpose to see if that helps.

I'm gonna try to see if I can go without a refreshing water spray in the morning...but my hair just feels so brittle the day after. It's scary and I'm worried about breakage. I know LouLou is a proponent of water refreshing though but I will see if I can try to get the As method to work because I don't want to have to do anything daily.

I know one of the As says she has naturally hard hair....but how can you tell the difference between naturally hard hair vs. dehydrated hair?

I might join see some curls to get these wash and gos right.

toaster

Aww thanks so much for the welcome. Yea, I think I will hold off of the ICH for now... though I used just UFD a few times with the same results. I'm also gonna use the moisturizing shampoo more than the all purpose to see if that helps.

I'm gonna try to see if I can go without a refreshing water spray in the morning...but my hair just feels so brittle the day after. It's scary and I'm worried about breakage. I know LouLou is a proponent of water refreshing though but I will see if I can try to get the As method to work because I don't want to have to do anything daily.

I know one of the As says she has naturally hard hair....but how can you tell the difference between naturally hard hair vs. dehydrated hair?

Yeah it’s hard to figure out what your hair should feel like! I know my hair feels kind of strong but not silky when it’s naked. It doesn’t feel as soft as it does when I used silicone products. But it feels nice, if that makes sense.

GettingKinky

Welcome @bubbles12345

You sound like you are on the right track. You mentioned having Innersense shampoos- which one(s) do you have? The Hydrating Hairbath isn’t strong enough to remove buildup and it actually leaves a little buildup, it can’t be your only shampoo. Do you have a clarifying/chelating shampoo? If you have hard water you may need to chelate and if you haven’t clarified in a while you could need to do that.

faithVA

Hello all. I never thought I would join this thread with my type 4 hair but here I am.

I've been watching this thread for months now. No other method has worked for me so far (I've been natural for 10+ years now so I figure why not give this a try. It seems promising. )

I currently have a tapered twa (about 2-4 inches). Cut my hair last year to start over yet again.

I'm 4c (I know, I shouldn't use that term.) Lol ..so tight spring pen coils, mostly fine strands, low porosity, high density and coarse cottony texture.

I have been following Loulou and the BCG girls. I have been doing the detox since December...so no oils/butters for two months. I have the Wash your damn hair book. Follow many other tightly curly gurus on social media.

I have innersence for my shampoo/conditioner, UFD for my gel, and sometimes I top with ICH. Sometimes the mousse Def. Sometimes nothing. I wash 2x week. I alternate between the all purpose and moisturizing shampoo. Sometimes I air dry and sometimes I use my difuser. I clarified early January with kinky curly come clean. I trimmed in December.

I wrote all this to say...I still struggle with dryness even though I apply everything on soaking wet hair and emulsify emulsify. Anyone who struggled with dryness...how long did it take for this method to work for you?

I wanted to ask the As about dryness, but they always have an attitude when someone asks about dryness on their IG live. I've been refreshing my hair daily with a water spray because I'm worried about breakage from it being so dry and brittle. (Yes I drink water, exercise, got my blood checked, take vitamins, sleep. :) )

I know some say it can take 3-6 months to see changes and I'm about to start month 3 and my hair is still crispy feeling after day 1 of my wash and go. (I also struggle with coil definition but that's another topic lol. I do see some coils on the shorter parts of my hair sometimes. The longer parts of my hair have some slight definition on day 1 but fro up by day 2 mostly).

I know I have coarse hair, but I thought my hair would still feel softer after loading my hair up with water, cleaning it, and using a botanical gel.

I'm seeing a curly stylist soon and hope she can help me with my technique because I'm doing something wrong. I thought after 2 months of this method I would see some improved changes.

Welcome @bubbles12345. Glad to have you. It sounds like you have a lot of great things going on.

This may not be what you want to hear but I've been here and I found no other way to get through it. I started my journey last March and the A's told me my hair was too dehydrated to do a wng. Of course they didn't really give me any guidance on how to get out of it.

Like you I would do my hair in the morning on Monday and by the time I woke up on Tuesday it was dry, dry, dry. I had to make the commitment to do my hair daily until I got my hair rehydrated. 4 to 6 weeks. But once I hydrated, I have not had a problem with dryness since. I went from having to do my hair daily to every 3 days to even I choose I can make it 5 to 7 days.

My opinion is you have to get past the point before all of the water leaches out of your hair overnight before you can make progress.

If you choose to do this, you can use just the UFD and try to let it air dry for at least 4 hours before drying, if you dry it at all.

faithVA

My hair is sort of spongy feeling when it it is hydrated. And I have small coils. When my hair first dries, I squeeze my hair and you can feel the squish just like with a sponge. As it loses water, there is less give when I squeeze it. When the water runs out, there isn't much to squeeze. My hair starts to pack down to my head and trying to pull it out even to fluff seems like a bad idea.

toaster

It’s so weird that the digital salon is gone. I spent 8 months there (in two different time periods). The As weren’t always the most helpful, but the community was really special.
I’m sorry it’s gone. I didn’t spend much time there, but I can see how it would be special.

As many times as I’ve been off and on LHCF, I’d be devastated to see it go. It has all of my hair history and pictures!

bubbles12345

Welcome @bubbles12345. Glad to have you. It sounds like you have a lot of great things going on.

This may not be what you want to hear but I've been here and I found no other way to get through it. I started my journey last March and the A's told me my hair was too dehydrated to do a wng. Of course they didn't really give me any guidance on how to get out of it.

Like you I would do my hair in the morning on Monday and by the time I woke up on Tuesday it was dry, dry, dry. I had to make the commitment to do my hair daily until I got my hair rehydrated. 4 to 6 weeks. But once I hydrated, I have not had a problem with dryness since. I went from having to do my hair daily to every 3 days to even I choose I can make it 5 to 7 days.

My opinion is you have to get past the point before all of the water leaches out of your hair overnight before you can make progress.

If you choose to do this, you can use just the UFD and try to let it air dry for at least 4 hours before drying, if you dry it at all.
Welcome @bubbles12345

You sound like you are on the right track. You mentioned having Innersense shampoos- which one(s) do you have? The Hydrating Hairbath isn’t strong enough to remove buildup and it actually leaves a little buildup, it can’t be your only shampoo. Do you have a clarifying/chelating shampoo? If you have hard water you may need to chelate and if you haven’t clarified in a while you could need to do that.
@faithVA

Oh wow! So you refreshed daily for like 4-6 weeks for your wash and goes until hydrated? So did you do the whole process...shampoo, conditioner, UFD gel, air dry each time?

I'm okay for not diffusing for awhile. Using heat always made me nervous since I always struggled with dryness.

I may have to give it a try until I can confirm with a stylist if my hair is naturallly hard or still severely hydrated. My after day 1 wash and gos kind of feels like a dry cotton towel. Is that normal? Lol

@GettingKinky

I don't have hard water according to the hard water map.

Here is what I use for my wash and gos:
1. Clarifyer - kinky curly come clean (last used like Jan 3 2021)

2. All purpose shampoo - innersence pure harmony hair bath (use once every 7-10 days.)

3. Moisturizing shampoo - innersence hydrating cream hair bath (alternate with above and use once every 3-7 days it depends.)

4. Conditioner - innersence hydrating cream conditioner (use each session)

5. Gel - UFD curly magic (use each session)

faithVA

@faithVA

Oh wow! So you refreshed daily for like 4-6 weeks for your wash and goes until hydrated? So did you do the whole process...shampoo, conditioner, UFD gel, air dry each time?

I'm okay for not diffusing for awhile. Using heat always made me nervous since I always struggled with dryness.

I may have to give it a try until I can confirm with a stylist if my hair is naturallly hard or still severely hydrated. My after day 1 wash and gos kind of feels like a dry cotton towel. Is that normal? Lol

@GettingKinky

I don't have hard water according to the hard water map.

Here is what I use for my wash and gos:
1. Clarifyer - kinky curly come clean (last used like Jan 3 2021)

2. All purpose shampoo - innersence pure harmony hair bath (use once every 7-10 days.)

3. Moisturizing shampoo - innersence hydrating cream hair bath (alternate with above and use once every 3-7 days it depends.)

4. Conditioner - innersence hydrating cream conditioner (use each session)

5. Gel - UFD curly magic (use each session)
Oh no. Most days I just rinsed and used UFD, fluffed and called it a day. Every other day or every 3 days I would detangle. Maybe every 3 or 4 days I would use a cleansing conditioner. I would only do the full CCS once a week. I started at the end of March so I air dried and only diffused if my hair wasn't dry by bed time.

It isn't normal but it was how mine was. You aren't going to meet a lot of people who have really dry hair and so they usually don't know what to tell you. Even stylist don't know because they only see hair on that 1 day and it looks great.

I equate it to this. If you had a plant or cut flower and you put them in 1/4 C of water, they look great that first day. The next morning those flowers could have sucked up every last ounce of that water. Would you spritz those flowers and think they would revive? You could. Would they revive? Probably not! Would you wait 3 or 4 more days to give them water? Probably not. You would give them 1/4 cup of water.

Dry hair is thirsty hair and needs water more often than hydrated hair. If your hair sucked up all the water the next day, waiting 3 or 4 days to give it more water doesn't get it to the tipping point.

I know every day is a bit much. Try every other day for a week if you can manage and see if that helps. Keep the full process to once a week with a moisturizing shampoo. Through the week just alternate rinsing, conditioning, cleansing conditioner if you need it.

I only use shampoo once a week and I clarify every 2 to 3 months because. I typically use only a moisturizing shampoo and maybe an all purpose every 3 weeks or so.

Hope that makes more sense.

naturalagain2

I have very tight coils so understand your pain. I have a few questions, Do you deep condition regularly? I know some curly hairstylist say that don't matter but I feel it does with my hair. Adding heat makes a difference for me as well.

Also when I was detoxing with my stylist and shampooing every week. My hair and scalp just couldn't take it my scalp flaked up when it never had before. After a close to year of doing this my hair just didn't feel right. It started to matt up and feel dry. I started alternating cowashing and clay washes in between my shampooing/clarifying sessions and my hair got back feeling good. My stylist noticed my scalp didn't flake anymore and asked what was I doing. She told me to keep doing what I was doing. Maybe doing that could help give you a moisture boost.