Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Her hair is gorgeous. It makes me want to try the earth tones gel but I need to stop spending money. Have you actually tried her application technique yet? I’m curious how long it would take and how well it works for someone with hair that isn’t as long as hers.
I've used her technique twice. I twisted my hair into 6 sections after applying the UFD. That took a little less than 10 minutes. I left my hair alone for an hour then styled using the 6 sections I already had. It took around 15-20 minutes to smooth all of the sections to my liking.

GettingKinky

My wash n go decided to swell after my workout today and I’m not sure it’s going to last more than a couple days. I also noticed tiny flakes all over my black shirt. I was really hoping the KCKT would work out because I have so much of it and I don’t want to toss it. Maybe I’ll try it again? Any ideas? If not, I think I’ll have to go back to my staple with UFD and ICH as a topper. Sigh.
When I use KCKT/ICH I use A LOT of both. I haven’t had any issues with flaking.
I don’t know how to quantify the amount of KCKT, but I use 8 pumps of ICH from the 32 oz bottle.

GettingKinky

How is this possible? I really don’t like UFD, but my UFD only WnG is great! It has the perfect combo of volume and hold. It still looks good on day 2 and I think it will be fine on day 3.

I really need to thin out my stash, but I also want to try earthtones max hold. And I kind of wonder how ecoslay orange marmalade compares to UFD...
I’m slowly slipping into PJism. :(

toaster

How is this possible? I really don’t like UFD, but my UFD only WnG is great! It has the perfect combo of volume and hold. It still looks good on day 2 and I think it will be fine on day 3.

I really need to thin out my stash, but I also want to try earthtones max hold. And I kind of wonder how ecoslay orange marmalade compares to UFD...
I’m slowly slipping into PJism. :(
I want to try the earthtones max gold gel as well!

Im trying not to slip into PJism. The only stylers I have on hand are Kinky Curly, and the doux mousse and glaze.

I want to get through 1 bottle of pop lock and 1 bottle of mousse def before buying earthtones. I have several backups for all my stylers.

Shampoo and conditioner are easy for me to not hoard. I only buy a new one once what I’ve used is used up.

Stylers though... I want them all

GettingKinky

I want to try the earthtones max gold gel as well!

Im trying not to slip into PJism. The only stylers I have on hand are Kinky Curly, and the doux mousse and glaze.

I want to get through 1 bottle of pop lock and 1 bottle of mousse def before buying earthtones. I have several backups for all my stylers.

Shampoo and conditioner are easy for me to not hoard. I only buy a new one once what I’ve used is used up.

Stylers though... I want them all
Me too there are so many black owned stylers with healthy ingredients. I think for now I’m going to pass on pop lock.

Next on my list are
- Ecoslay jello shot
-Earthtones max gelly
- Ecoslay orange marmalade I’m wondering if it can be a replacement for UFD

I also want to switch to a black owned conditioner. Do you like the Briogeo conditioners?

EmmJaii

When I use KCKT/ICH I use A LOT of both. I haven’t had any issues with flaking.
I don’t know how to quantify the amount of KCKT, but I use 8 pumps of ICH from the 32 oz bottle.
That could be my problem. I used a lot of KCKT but very little ICH. I think I was thinking I could get by with the same amount of ICH I typically use when I pair it with UFD. I’m going to have to try this combo again, I really liked the way my hair looked straight from under the dryer. Thanks for the tip.

@Bette Davis Eyes his hair looks great! I’m really impressed with the 10 day results especially considering you say he sleeps rough. I may have to try the Coco Naturals!

I’m also slowly drifting into PJism, @toaster @GettingKinky, and I second the desire to use all black owned products. I’m going to need a new shampoo/conditioner soon so I may try the briogeo line as well. I’ve also heard great things about orange marmalade... I think it’s mostly flaxseed based. Have any of y’all tried Curl Mix? The As talked a lot about that one as well and I know it’s also flaxseed based. Not that we need more stylers to try on our lists lol.

Top stylers I want to try are:

1-Pop lock
2-Coco Naturals
3-Earthtones max

But the way my bank account is set up...

faithVA

I tried a few things today. I knew I shouldn't try them all at the same time but I just needed to get my hair done quickly before work.

I just rinsed and detangled and used the Aunt Jackies on soaking wet hair and then added some more. I didn't have any real curl definition :ohwell: Then I layered some ICH on top of that. Then I tried plopping. I think plopping will only work for me when I have hair long enough to shake.

I kept the turban on for about 1 hour. My curls didn't clump. But I do like that I didn't have a dripping wet head all day. And it was 90% dry by 9 and I blow dried it for a few minutes to finish it off.

It doesn't look like much but it is soft and I gave it some much needed water.

I think I may do this mid-week until I use up the Aunt Jackie's. I really need to give my hair more water.

faithVA

Does anyone use olaplex? I was thinking of adding it as a monthly treatment. I don’t color my hair and I use heat very infrequently, but I do feel like detangling and doing wash and go’s is a lot of manual manipulation and maybe my hair bonds could use repair?
I have. I had all 3 steps. I both colored my hair and used heat occasionally. I didn't really notice that much of a difference. I currently use Aphogee's amino acid 2 step something or other that I got from Sally's. And I picked up a Bondex something or other from Amazon.

So with all of that, none of it kept my hair from breaking off into an afro last March. Take it for what it's worth.

If you can get it at a reasonable price, cool. But if you aren't coloring your hair, maybe a less expensive bond treatment would be just as good.

LavenderMint

Does anyone use olaplex? I was thinking of adding it as a monthly treatment. I don’t color my hair and I use heat very infrequently, but I do feel like detangling and doing wash and go’s is a lot of manual manipulation and maybe my hair bonds could use repair?
I’ve used it & other bond repair/smoothing products in the past. I currently have 0 & 3 to try. My hair isn’t colored but is naturally very high porosity. My hair has always responded positively to such things as well as any protein. It usually just results in an easier time to detangle, which is definitely worth it.

GettingKinky

I have olaplex 3 and I’ve used it a few times because my cuticles are damaged from previous bad hair practices, but I didn’t really notice a difference so I haven’t used it in a long time. I prefer the results I get from using a protein conditioner.

sunshinebeautiful

Hey ladies -

I've been lurking in this thread for the past week or so. :look: I never thought that wash n go would work for me, but I'm suspending my assumptions and giving it another try. I ran across an IG page for a local natural hair salon and was intrigued by what they were doing with type 4 hair, hydration, and the wash n go.

I signed up for their digital salon to get an inside peek at what they're doing, what products they recommend, etc., since they were completely booked solid for appointments. Similar to some of the other stylists you guys have talked about upthread, she also advocates no oils, butters, "training" your hair to retain water, encourage curls, etc.

I'm on Week 2, but my first week with the new regimen was enlightening. Surprisingly, my hair felt so much more moisturized without the oil, butters, and stayed noticeably more hydrated for days. (Retaining moisture was a definite challenge before). For my second week, I also noticed a difference in how my curls responded after shampooing, conditioning, and styling. I'm excited to see the progress over time.

I'm still working on technique and how to preserve my wash n go for multiple days. Figured I might as well participate in this thread since I'll be working from home until at least August. That will give me a lot of time to experiment and figure out what works best for my hair. I haven't done a hair challenge in a long while. Excited to jump in and participate!

faithVA

Hey ladies -

I've been lurking in this thread for the past week or so. :look: I never thought that wash n go would work for me, but I'm suspending my assumptions and giving it another try. I ran across an IG page for a local natural hair salon and was intrigued by what they were doing with type 4 hair, hydration, and the wash n go.

I signed up for their digital salon to get an inside peek at what they're doing, what products they recommend, etc., since they were completely booked solid for appointments. Similar to some of the other stylists you guys have talked about upthread, she also advocates no oils, butters, "training" your hair to retain water, encourage curls, etc.

I'm on Week 2, but my first week with the new regimen was enlightening. Surprisingly, my hair felt so much more moisturized without the oil, butters, and stayed noticeably more hydrated for days. (Retaining moisture was a definite challenge before). For my second week, I also noticed a difference in how my curls responded after shampooing, conditioning, and styling. I'm excited to see the progress over time.

I'm still working on technique and how to preserve my wash n go for multiple days. Figured I might as well participate in this thread since I'll be working from home until at least August. That will give me a lot of time to experiment and figure out what works best for my hair. I haven't done a hair challenge in a long while. Excited to jump in and participate!
Welcome @sunshinebeautiful. I was where you are in March 2020. I was just getting started on my journey and started wearing wash and gos. My wng lasted all of 1 day. So, I initially did my hair daily for 2 months. I kept my hair free of extra product and just stuck with gentle shampoos, conditioners and botanical gels. After 2 months, I went from a daily wash and go to 4 days and now in laziness I can make 7.

Be encouraged and stick with it. Initially, it may not be technique. It could also be giving your hair enough time to rehydrate and get used to the new process.

faithVA

OK the Aunt Jackie's on bare hair is a now for me. I would probably need to use a leave-in. But when I use a leave-in I lose all curl definition. So that is a no for now. My hair was dry and tight this morning so it did not hold in any moisture. I want to leave my reset days to Sunday.

This morning I just decided to rinse and slick it back. I could tell by rinsing that I will need a shampoo to get the gel off my hair. I can feel the botanical gel rinse out of my hair. This gel didn't go anywhere. I just rinsed it with water any way and detangled it. Foam straightens my hair out, so I just used foam to slick it back and put on a turban.

Before starting this journey I had tried all types of things to slick my hair down. Who knew all I needed was foam :lol: It is good to know in the future if I ever get to bun length.

I will do a CCS tomorrow.

sunshinebeautiful

Welcome @sunshinebeautiful. I was where you are in March 2020. I was just getting started on my journey and started wearing wash and gos. My wng lasted all of 1 day. So, I initially did my hair daily for 2 months. I kept my hair free of extra product and just stuck with gentle shampoos, conditioners and botanical gels. After 2 months, I went from a daily wash and go to 4 days and now in laziness I can make 7.

Be encouraged and stick with it. Initially, it may not be technique. It could also be giving your hair enough time to rehydrate and get used to the new process.

YES. I can see now it may take some time to rehydrate, but I'm going to stick with it. Thanks for sharing this testimony. It's super encouraging.