Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I am still scrolling back to catch up, so forgive me if this is ground that has already been covered in the thread, but does anyone do the Dickey style daily wash and go? IDK why but I'm tempted to try it this summer. Water on my scalp daily sounds amazing.

faithVA

I am still scrolling back to catch up, so forgive me if this is ground that has already been covered in the thread, but does anyone do the Dickey style daily wash and go? IDK why but I'm tempted to try it this summer. Water on my scalp daily sounds amazing.
I did daily last year for about 30 to 45 days. My hair was really short and dehydrated. It really made a big difference then. I don't do it anymore. Even when it is fast, it is still an extra 15 to 30 minutes to my routine. And I'm assuming air drying. Then my hair is barely drying before I go to bed to then get up to do it again :nono:

I can see daily rinsing and then wet bunning. But styling with gel still takes too long for me both application and drying.

But I think you should try it out. You won't know how it works for you until you try it.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I did daily last year for about 30 to 45 days. My hair was really short and dehydrated. It really made a big difference then. I don't do it anymore. Even when it is fast, it is still an extra 15 to 30 minutes to my routine. And I'm assuming air drying. Then my hair is barely drying before I go to bed to then get up to do it again :nono:

I can see daily rinsing and then wet bunning. But styling with gel still takes too long for me both application and drying.

But I think you should try it out. You won't know how it works for you until you try it.
Thank you for the insight from your experience! I do think my hair could use some extra hydration right now as I go through a faux detox, so it's good to know that this might help. I have never really been a super heavy oil and butter person, but I have seen a significant difference in just the past month or so now that I consistently avoid them.

I think I will try it out, but I can't see myself using my good stuff daily :look: (Uncle Funky is like $20!) so I will find some cheapies in my stash to use. And I think I will primarily do my hooded dryer but skip the dryer stretching step to avoid manipulation. my hooded dryer gets me mostly dry in 15 minutes.

I am going to try for a week and then report back. :yep: after that, I'll troubleshoot and see. I'm also excited because I have a few vacations planned and I refuse to do vacation braids anymore, so getting a wash and go routine down before July-ish will be helpful. Extra credit points if it's stuff that could be picked up in any random drugstore.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky it seems like the shape of your wash and go is really bothering you. If there’s someone else near you and you like their portfolio, I’d go get a shape and make sure they don’t cut off so much that you can’t bun.

Waiting until September or October I think you’ll be more frustrated than it’s worth.
I’ve started looking at IG pages for stylists within an hour of my house. I don’t think I want to wait until Sept/Oct.

toaster

@Rocky91 I used to daily wash and bun for years. I loved it, truly.

My mom does her wash and go’s almost daily since she swims and her hair is still relatively short and not super thick. She air dries and doesn’t have an issue.

I don’t consider my hair to be that long (especially since it’s much shorter than it was even last year) but it is waist length in the back. There’s no way I could wash and thoroughly style my hair daily. It just takes too long. Even if detangling barely took any time at all, my hair would be soaking wet if I tried air drying all day, and I don’t have time to diffuse for 30 minutes daily.

I did my hair twice a week until it got long enough that even on day 7/8 with shrinkage I still liked how my hair looks.

My goal is to grow my hair as long as it will get, within reason. I exercise daily (peloton and various strength workouts) and don’t let my hair get in my way.

On vacations or if I’m swimming, I just wash my hair afterwards and either do a quick wash and go with mousse (faster drying, won’t last for more than a few days anyway) or pull my hair into a bun or two braids.

toaster

One thing I like about Jell-O shot is it doesn’t seem like you can use too much of it like other products. I don’t get any white spots in my hair, which is nice. I do use it on soaking wet hair over uncle funky’s, so maybe that helps.

Trying to see if they are going to have a Memorial Day sale. I should buy a back up.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@Rocky91 I used to daily wash and bun for years. I loved it, truly.

My mom does her wash and go’s almost daily since she swims and her hair is still relatively short and not super thick. She air dries and doesn’t have an issue.

I don’t consider my hair to be that long (especially since it’s much shorter than it was even last year) but it is waist length in the back. There’s no way I could wash and thoroughly style my hair daily. It just takes too long. Even if detangling barely took any time at all, my hair would be soaking wet if I tried air drying all day, and I don’t have time to diffuse for 30 minutes daily.

I did my hair twice a week until it got long enough that even on day 7/8 with shrinkage I still liked how my hair looks.

My goal is to grow my hair as long as it will get, within reason. I exercise daily (peloton and various strength workouts) and don’t let my hair get in my way.

On vacations or if I’m swimming, I just wash my hair afterwards and either do a quick wash and go with mousse (faster drying, won’t last for more than a few days anyway) or pull my hair into a bun or two braids.
Thank you for the insights!

I think I will take the time out to try something like this now before (hopefully) it becomes cumbersome. I hope to be like your mom all summer long--planning to swim laps 2-3x a week for weight loss. :yep:

fluffyforever

It is amazing so far.

Doing this routine daily I have also noticed my hair appears to be richer in black color and my hair porosity seems to have normalized. It no longer takes 5 min under running hot water to wet my hair. Same benefits as I got with MHM.

GettingKinky

One thing I like about Jell-O shot is it doesn’t seem like you can use too much of it like other products. I don’t get any white spots in my hair, which is nice. I do use it on soaking wet hair over uncle funky’s, so maybe that helps.

Trying to see if they are going to have a Memorial Day sale. I should buy a back up.
I think because I use jello shot on soaking wet hair, I don’t get the super strong hold that everyone raves about even when I use what I think is a lot.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I had a part wash day in sink and part in shower.

I tried the styling part in the shower. I re wet the hair and then added my ( gelatina)base gel and finger detangled it in. Then cupped water and ran it thru that section, finger detangled it again to separate then added Curly magic as a topper. Added a little water dipped again and ran it thru my strands.

did all four sections. My hair is so weighted with water. It will never dry. Soooo, I’m sitting under the dryer. Probably gonna have to be under here for awhile.

of course it’s elongated with S curls. Let’s see if the dryer freezes it or if it boings up. Interested to see if I can get it somewhat dry by 9 pm.

Last edited:

ckisland

I had an awesome wash day :bdance:!! I shampoo'd my hair twice with a sulfate shampoo and it was really needed! My hair was curlier and soft afterward :laugh: . I DC'd with Obia Babassu DC and it was magical :drool:. I forgot how good this conditioner is! My hair was so soft afterwards. I set my hair with Obia Curl Hydration Spray, Curl Moisture Cream, and Curl Enhancing Custard. That definition though :weird: . I'm so happy with my hair. . .right now :laugh:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Notes from today:
-Turned my hooded dryer down to avoid neck/scalp irritation. I typically have it on the “hot as Hades” setting for my impatient flexirod sets, but that won’t work daily lol.
-Aphogee 2-minute is a lovely cowash. So soft and strong.
-I’m going to try a foam only wash-n-go next. I always noticed that my hair looked so juicy and soft while setting so I think it might actually give me a nice soft hold.

GettingKinky

Notes from today:
-Turned my hooded dryer down to avoid neck/scalp irritation. I typically have it on the “hot as Hades” setting for my impatient flexirod sets, but that won’t work daily lol.
-Aphogee 2-minute is a lovely cowash. So soft and strong.
-I’m going to try a foam only wash-n-go next. I always noticed that my hair looked so juicy and soft while setting so I think it might actually give me a nice soft hold.
I love foam only sets. I think they are beautiful, but short lived.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I promise I will not post daily pictures :lol: but I am quite impressed with my “drugstore wash and go” under $20. I need to put a dent in my stash this summer so I am happy to find these cheapies I have on hand work just fine.

-$8 for aphogee 2-minute used as a cowash
-$3 for Aussie moist as a leave-in
-$0.99 for wetline gel
-$7 for ORS foam wrap as a topper/quick dry agent

20 minutes under hooded dryer with very low heat while checking email. Did just a touch of fluffing with my wide tooth comb but not much and left to give my final exams (yay for the end of the year!)

Attachments

• D11C947D-8938-44F9-B56D-1BC6589A2344.jpeg
    D11C947D-8938-44F9-B56D-1BC6589A2344.jpeg
    716.2 KB · Views: 43

faithVA

I promise I will not post daily pictures :lol: but I am quite impressed with my “drugstore wash and go” under $20. I need to put a dent in my stash this summer so I am happy to find these cheapies I have on hand work just fine.

-$8 for aphogee 2-minute used as a cowash
-$3 for Aussie moist as a leave-in
-$0.99 for wetline gel
-$7 for ORS foam wrap as a topper/quick dry agent

20 minutes under hooded dryer with very low heat while checking email. Did just a touch of fluffing with my wide tooth comb but not much and left to give my final exams (yay for the end of the year!)
Turned out really nice.