Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

GettingKinky

I don't know who needs to hear this but Ecoslay Applesauce is the gorilla glue of all edge controls except it washes out. My edges have protested laying down my entire life but they waived the white flag at the Applesauce. :giveup: Take this however you will but when this stuff dried, I went to scratch my temple and lifting my hair felt like I was peeling a scab off, that's how stuck to my skin, my edges were. It scared me, like what have I put on my head, so I rubbed some water on and it came right off but that hold while dry was not playing. I many need to start putting this where I part my hair to keep it from poofing.
I need this for when I wear a bun. Did you apply it dry hair or damp hair? And did you wear a scarf to lay your edges down? And does it have to be refrigerated?
I’ve been trying mousse def and the gels I have on hand, but I can’t get a slick bun.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I need this for when I wear a bun. Did you apply it dry hair or damp hair? And did you wear a scarf to lay your edges down? And does it have to be refrigerated?
I’ve been trying mousse def and the gels I have on hand, but I can’t get a slick bun.
My hair was wet and no scarf, I learned years ago that my edges laughs at being tied down. I was not heavy handed either. I put all the ecoslay products on my refrigerator door so I won't forget about them but I don't think the applesauce needs to be refrigerated.

I still have to try the Banana deep conditioner and the Orange Marmalade but so far 2 out of 3 of the products I've tried exceed expectations. Jello shot and applesauce are cool. The rice pudding leave in isn't giving me anything special but I'll see how it does with the other products.

ckisland

I did another quick cowash yesterday using MJ Leave-in and Coily Custard for my stylers. I had a suspicion that the Custard wouldn't work without sections, and I was right :lachen:. I applied the leave-in and styler all over, with no sections, and my hair dried kinda hard and dry and tight. Coily Custard gives me the best wash n'go. . .applied in sections :laugh: . Luckily the other MJ stylers (Honey Curls and Multicultural Curls) work so much better, so it's all good.

I also ordered Multicultural Curls Gel and I'm excited to try this whole layering thing :scratchchin: .

LavenderMint

Day 7 with UFD & EN. Washing tomorrow night. Haven’t decided what gel combo to go with. I found a random jar of Bronner Brothers gel in my closet & don’t know how or why I have it so I need to look for some reviews.
I’ve been wearing my hair clipped up at the side this week. I like the snap/flexi clips, just wish they were a liiiiiiiiittle bit longer. (Also a little surprised that pics taken in my classroom come out just as nicely as in the car but it makes sense because most our classrooms don’t have windows so the ceilings are basically one giant fluorescent bulb.)
3DF71139-D05C-46A5-96BA-A980FA49BC02.jpeg

fluffyforever

I’m not part of this challenge, but I think I will be joining almost midway through. So I’ve been doing wash and goes this week and I have to say, I love them. The only experience I’ve had with wash and goes in the past was when I was doing the MHM, which was cool but a lot of steps.

This week I used the Anthony Dickey and my hair has never been so defined before. This is even better than MHM and way less messy than using clay. Even though every day my hair shrinks to its maximum capacity, and it is in its extremely coily state, it has been a breeze to do the routine each morning.

I will be wearing wash and goes for the rest of the year to see if it helps with my growth and retention.

1. Please tell us about your hair (texture, pattern, porosity, length, etc). I have 4b/4C pen spring sized coils, coarse fine strands, low to normal density. Right now my nape reaches the top of my shoulders and my front reaches my lip.
  2. What is your current regimen (frequency, techniques, products, etc). Pretty much daily I will be using the Anthony Dickey method in the shower in the mornings. Products will change. Right now I use melanin hair care leave in or Oyin hair drew and top with an eco styler gel.
  3. What are your length goals from joining this challenge? I want less breakage and better retention to maximize my hair density and fil out my hair. Then I feel like I can focus on growth.
  4. What are your styling goals from joining this challenge? To not have to spend a lot of time manipulating hair out of the shower, which causes breakage. To have a quick style that looks great.
  5. Any current struggles or concerns? I should give myself a trim because I haven’t in more than a year. I have lots of SSKs that might get in the way.

fluffyforever

Welcome @fluffyforever

what is Anthony Dickey’s method? I’m vaguely familiar with it, but I don’t remember the details.
Styling your hair soaking wet in the shower, specifically alternating product and water for each step. Here’s my routine, and doing all this plus bathing like normal takes about 15 - 20 minutes. Just the simple thing of adding more water in between working in a product gave me a very dramatic difference in the appearance and feel of my hair.

1. Soak hair with water
2. Apply a conditioner, lots of conditioner.
3. Wet hair but don’t rinse out all of the conditioner.
4. apply some more conditioner and work it through and squish it in to soften and lengthen strands.
5. Rinse thoroughly
6. Add leave in conditioner, lots of it.
7. Add water but don’t rinse out.
8. Add more leave in and really work it in
9. Add water and squish into hair
10. Add styler/gel if you want
10a. Add water but don’t rinse out gel
10b. Add more gel and really smooth it on
10c. Add more water and squish it in
11. Shake head vigorously up and down, side to side to define

That’s all. I don’t do small sections or spend time twirling/shingling/raking each clump. This method is enough for me to define a head full of the tiniest spring coils anyone will ever see.

faithVA

I’m just stopping in to proclaim my love of UFD/Earthtone Naturals. Shrinkage has been the biggest thing I’ve been battling because with my shrinkage comes tangles. Well. This combo has minimal shrinkage, it is maybe two inches shorter when dry than my hair actually is when wet, which is amazing.
New Level Unlocked: listen to whatever I want with my bright yellow Bluetooth earbuds during yet another pointless Zoom meeting and the earbuds are not visible in the slightest. :drunk:

My only concern now is that when I go to get a trim, the stylist won’t be able to give me the results & look I’m used to getting at home. I’ve never had a salon wng look anything like this. And there’s only one salon in my area that I can go to to get a wng. I’m going to think some more on it....
I'm late to the party so forgive me if someone already answered. When you go get a trim do your hair yourself and then just let them trim it. My stylist does that. I think it is called a quick cut or something like that.

toaster

I can’t really tell if it made a difference or not. I think that’s why I stopped using it. What difference do you notice?
I find my hair easier to detangle after a treatment, less shedding, and each strand feels stronger and almost thicker or more substantial during the washing process.

I don’t notice any difference in my wash and go versus a non olaplex week.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I started off real taking my time and smoothing. By the time I got to the left side I gave up. Which is quite evident.

I sat under the dryer for a tiny bit because it’s hot but before bed I’ll go back under because it’s not set.
I used Cocoblack Naturals gel and then topped with The Doux Mousse.

Attachments

• BD07BB51-497E-49BE-A9B2-5B71AD70385F.jpeg
    BD07BB51-497E-49BE-A9B2-5B71AD70385F.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 41

GettingKinky

I started off real taking my time and smoothing. By the time I got to the left side I gave up. Which is quite evident.

I sat under the dryer for a tiny bit because it’s hot but before bed I’ll go back under because it’s not set.
I used Cocoblack Naturals gel and then topped with The Doux Mousse.
I always run out of energy during the styling part too. I’m really good with the shampoo and conditioner step and applying my stylers. But by the time I get to the actual smoothing/styling I’m running out of patience.
That’s why I’d rather have a quick process and do it twice a week rather than a longer once a week process.