Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

toaster

I ended up ordering the Collins hair dryer that was recommended on the black girl curls Instagram.

I had to go back and find the post where people were going off because Aisha wouldn’t share the brand of the standing hair dryer she used at home, but she did share the brand of dryer she uses in the salon. She’s shared the information about the Collins hair dryer a few times.

I shopped around and found a retailer that lets you pay with PayPal in 4 installments interest free. Wasn’t super excited about paying that much for a dryer, but I do my hair weekly and it will save time.

I had my pibbs dryer for 5 years before I moved and gave it to my mom. Would have reordered in a minute, but allegedly the Collins dryer blows air downwards, which is good for my wash and go.

Britt

hi ladies! What are you all using as moisturizing conditioner?
My beloved Elucence is nearly finished and I have yet to find something comparable. I liked that it was moisturizing yet not heavy and feel like it leaves a residue. I tried Design Essentials and I feel it does that. I bought a tiny bottle of Innersense hydrating bath, it's ok. I prefer Elucence.

sunshinebeautiful

I ended up ordering the Collins hair dryer that was recommended on the black girl curls Instagram.

I had to go back and find the post where people were going off because Aisha wouldn’t share the brand of the standing hair dryer she used at home, but she did share the brand of dryer she uses in the salon. She’s shared the information about the Collins hair dryer a few times.

I shopped around and found a retailer that lets you pay with PayPal in 4 installments interest free. Wasn’t super excited about paying that much for a dryer, but I do my hair weekly and it will save time.

I had my pibbs dryer for 5 years before I moved and gave it to my mom. Would have reordered in a minute, but allegedly the Collins dryer blows air downwards, which is good for my wash and go.

I'm curious about this dryer. Make sure to report back about whether it was worth the purchase.

sunshinebeautiful

My beloved Elucence is nearly finished and I have yet to find something comparable. I liked that it was moisturizing yet not heavy and feel like it leaves a residue. I tried Design Essentials and I feel it does that. I bought a tiny bottle of Innersense hydrating bath, it's ok. I prefer Elucence.

I use Matrix Moisture Me Rich conditioner

GettingKinky

I used to use Elucence and I haven’t found anything similar :-(
It took me some time to adjust, but I like the Innersense Color Radiance conditioner, I’m only looking around because I want to use a black owned product. I like the Briogeo Curl Charisma. I’m planning to try Briogeo Be Gentle Be Kind before I settle down and commit to just one conditioner.

oneastrocurlie

I've been using AG Natural Boost and Giovanni Smooth as Silk.

faithVA

So I decided to try a wash and go today and take my time. I actually pulled out the teak stool so I could sit down while doing some of my steps.

I used a cream to do my twist last week, so I used TGIN shampoo first and then a moisturizing shampoo after it. My scalp was happy. I can tell my scalp needs a moisturizing shampoo second or otherwise it will itch.

I bought a conditioner from the Lidl grocery store, which is for colored hair. It was about $4. Seems to work fine. I will try it a few more times and see. My hair detangles very easy anyway so I can't easily evaluate conditioners. I sat down for this step so I could take my time. I added some water and worked it through and then rinsed it out.

OK, for my gel application, I decided to measure some gel out to get an idea of how much gel I might need. My hair is still short, so I measured out 1/4 cup of UFD. I put my hair into 4 sections. With each section I wet it down really well as much as I could. I did one section at a time and put 1 T of gel on each section. I squeezed it in and worked it through. It is definitely better than my other applications. But then I'm not sure if I need more water and then how much. My hair didn't really feel heavy but I'm not sure. So, I added some water but I'm just guessing as to how much.

I showered. I added a little more water to try to get it heavier :perplexed: I added a little over 1 T of Jello Shot and applied it all over my head.

I did a lot of smoothing and trying to separate but not sure how that worked out. So I let the Jello Shot sit for a while. Then I shook quite a bit to try to get my coils to clump together.

I'm actually sitting under the dryer which you ladies know I dislike. But it is late and I know my hair won't be close to dry even I don't. I'm not sure it will be dry by bedtime even if I do sit under here.

Wish me luck. I need 4 day hair. :yep:

My dryer isn't the best so I'm probably under here another 45 minutes.

faithVA

I was under the dryer for 1.25 hours and my hair is still super wet. My dryer isn't any good but still. I will have to diffuse for another 30 minutes :sad:

Anyway, my hair turned out better than usual. Now to see if it lasts for 4 days. I think it was too much water because I was trying to make my hair heavy. :ohwell:

Attachments

• 20210627_184508.jpg
    20210627_184508.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210627_184600.jpg
    20210627_184600.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210627_184639.jpg
    20210627_184639.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 38

EmmJaii

I’m still trying to use up the items in my stash, so I tried a UFD+ICH+PS combo in hopes that it will be able to combat humidity for a trip I’m taking in 2 weeks. No dice. Idk if I just had too much water in my hair or what, but it looked heavy when I got out the shower, and had a slight cast when I went to bed, but when I woke up it had already started to frizz. After I worked out today, it was done. Just a frizzy mess and I knew it wouldn’t last me another day. So, in an effort to compromise, I cowashed and did a KCKT+ICH combo and I’m under the dryer now. My hair is heavy and defined, though I didn’t spend a lot of time raking to separate the curls, just smoothed and shook my head vigorously. Didn’t feel like spending too much time in case the combo doesn’t make it. I’m really hoping this turns out okay, and lasts me at least through Wednesday, but if not, I’ll just CCS tomorrow.

colorful_coils

Y'all. Tell me I went to my stylist yesterday, explicitly said I'd like to maintain length over the perfect shape, and she still cut HALF MY LENGTH OFF. I should have said something too because I noticed she was cutting a lot, but I always think that and it always turns out to be like 1/2 inch off. Not this time though.

Got home and almost cried when I looked at myself properly in the mirror. I'm back to where I was 2 years ago (I'm a very slow grower on top of that, so it's a very short length). At least my wash-n-gos will look cute, I guess:cry3:

sunshinebeautiful

Y'all. Tell me I went to my stylist yesterday, explicitly said I'd like to maintain length over the perfect shape, and she still cut HALF MY LENGTH OFF. I should have said something too because I noticed she was cutting a lot, but I always think that and it always turns out to be like 1/2 inch off. Not this time though.

Got home and almost cried when I looked at myself properly in the mirror. I'm back to where I was 2 years ago (I'm a very slow grower on top of that, so it's a very short length). At least my wash-n-gos will look cute, I guess:cry3:

I am so sorry. I hate that for you. You would think that stylists would communicate how much they're cutting off before they start snipping. :nono:

faithVA

@faithVA your hair looks great!!!

My hair took 2 full days to dry this last wash, and it felt gummy as well. Now it’s dry and super defined. I could probably get 10+ days out of it.
Thank You. Not sure how it is going to turn out today. My hair doesn't separate so we shall see.

Do you let your hair air dry for 2 days? You don't have any issues sleeping on it? My hair mashes when I sleep. Not sure if it will rebound and because it is gummy, there isn't really any fluffing to it.

faithVA

:bighug: I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe she heard shape. I don't know what is going on with stylists.

I hope it is super cute.

faithVA

I’m still trying to use up the items in my stash, so I tried a UFD+ICH+PS combo in hopes that it will be able to combat humidity for a trip I’m taking in 2 weeks. No dice. Idk if I just had too much water in my hair or what, but it looked heavy when I got out the shower, and had a slight cast when I went to bed, but when I woke up it had already started to frizz. After I worked out today, it was done. Just a frizzy mess and I knew it wouldn’t last me another day. So, in an effort to compromise, I cowashed and did a KCKT+ICH combo and I’m under the dryer now. My hair is heavy and defined, though I didn’t spend a lot of time raking to separate the curls, just smoothed and shook my head vigorously. Didn’t feel like spending too much time in case the combo doesn’t make it. I’m really hoping this turns out okay, and lasts me at least through Wednesday, but if not, I’ll just CCS tomorrow.
How did the new combo turn out?

toaster

Oh nooo! I’m so so so sorry to hear this. Did you tell your stylist you were unhappy?

I know your hair will grow over time, but honestly that probably won’t make you feel better.

Come in this thread and rant whenever you want. We will listen.

toaster

Thank You. Not sure how it is going to turn out today. My hair doesn't separate so we shall see.

Do you let your hair air dry for 2 days? You don't have any issues sleeping on it? My hair mashes when I sleep. Not sure if it will rebound and because it is gummy, there isn't really any fluffing to it.
I didn’t intend to air dry for 2 days. I sat under the dryer for 50 minutes and diffused for at least 20, but by then it was late and my hair was still wet.

I put on my buff and went to sleep. I thought my hair would look awful, but surprisingly when I woke up it was still defined, just wet. It wasn’t 100% dry until the next morning!!

I was trying to get my hair “heavy” with products and water like my stylist did.

In the morning I do a vigorous shake to kind of help with the smashing.

It worked? My hair is still pretty flat because it’s heavy with product, but it’s not smashed.

Let us know how your hair holds up!

oneastrocurlie

Would love to know how the KCKT + ICH combo turns out.

EmmJaii

I am so sorry! Sending hugs your way!

EmmJaii

@oneastrocurlie @faithVA the new combo came out pretty decent! My hair is very crunchy and defined. It’s even flatter than I’m used to at the roots. I can see this lasting 5+ days.

I’m not going anywhere today so planning to fluff tomorrow before work. That will be the real test. Only down side I see currently is I have some small white spots from leftover product in the back of my head. Hoping those can be fixed tomorrow when I fluff.

toaster

For all that saw my pictures, do you think I should add more water next time?
Based on the pictures and your explanation, it doesn’t look like you need more water to me! Your hair looks really defined and hydrated from root to tip.

Like you, I always add more water after applying UFD, but once I apply Jell-O shot, I don’t add any more water. My hair had the heavy feeling after applying the Jell-O shot.

I try to apply UFD on soaking wet hair, and then when I add more water, the UFD is holding the water in, so my hair doesn’t drip anymore. But it doesn’t feel heavy at that point. Just… kind of slimey?

Do you think you need more water?